• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely forgot about him being in Breaking Bad.
latest

😁

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Walt was always impulsive, rash, and a generally shitty person. He sexually assaulted his wife in what, the third episode?

Oct 26, 2017
The whole point of that scene was to show Walt's underlying character flaws, that would eventually become instrumental in his descent towards "Heisenberg." If all you took away from the scene was "blew up an entitled douchebag's car", then you missed a lot of nuance.

Particularly, Walt's ego and jealousy with people of success and the fact that Kenny represents the level of success that a male figure is expected to be at. So when Walt is destroying Kenny's car, the audience interprets it as karmic justice for his "assholery", but in Walt's mind, he's doing this as a revenge wish fulfillment against the people that he felt screwed him over from Gray Matter.

Oct 25, 2017
Walter being an asshole is why I wasn't a big fan of the final season, which had to introduce truly awful people just so he came off as less trashy, and in the process, gave him too good of a death.

Oct 26, 2017
Walter being an asshole is why I wasn't a big fan of the final season, which had to introduce truly awful people just so he came off as less trashy, and in the process, gave him too good of a death.

That doesn't negate the path of destruction left behind by Walt. His family has been destroyed thinking that he murdered Hank, and Flynn thinking that his parents are absolute crap. And surely El Camino will show how Jesse's life was ruined by Walt.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People tend to ignore Jesse's role in his own shitty life. Wait did him incredibly dirty but Jesse had his own hand in the destruction of everybody he loved.

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't negate the path of destruction left behind by Walt. His family has been destroyed thinking that he murdered Hank, and Flynn thinking that his parents are absolute crap. And surely El Camino will show how Jesse's life was ruined by Walt.

Sure, but to me it played into the whole idea of "Walt being a hero" that many bizzarely cling to. Like, they had to introduce neo nazis to make Walt appear remotely relatable in the final season.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
What?

Committing serious arson, with high chance of harm to people is consistent with Sensible, introvert, boring chemistry teacher.
It's not the same as meth cooking and killing crazy 8, those action were consistent with walts character, but this seemed to rash and sloppy.
I suppose walts rash and sloppy traits do return. I guess this was one of the first one, its like he was multiple personalities

I am thinking that you do not have a great grasp on Walt's character.

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but to me it played into the whole idea of "Walt being a hero" that many bizzarely cling to. Like, they had to introduce neo nazis to make Walt appear remotely relatable in the final season.

That's usually the issue with creating morally evil protagonists. AUdiences tend to forgo a sense of morality in favour of the protagonist.

What?

Committing serious arson, with high chance of harm to people is consistent with Sensible, introvert, boring chemistry teacher.
It's not the same as meth cooking and killing crazy 8, those action were consistent with walts character, but this seemed to rash and sloppy.
I suppose walts rash and sloppy traits do return. I guess this was one of the first one, its like he was multiple personalities

He was always like this though. Did you forget the part when Walt beat on a high school kid for making fun of his son?

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
People defending Walt were wrong and kinda dumb from the first episode. Yes, he was a fucking psychotic.
Damn it took years for people to come around on the internet. Walter White has always been a horrible entitled piece of crap! Love the show, love the acting, love the writing... but the Walter White fanboyism and the hating on the wife used to blow my mind. Heisenberg was an internet white guy's wet dream power fantasy fulfilled !

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
I don't think Walt was always that way, especially when you look at the flash backs when he was working at Gray Matter. I do think it was there, like it is in everyone, and was kind of unlocked once he received his diagnosis and finally started seeing life for what it really was. He suddenly had nothing to loose and when you have that kind of power it can corrupt.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What?

He's both the sensible, introvert father who teaches and also the psychotic, power hungry meth dealer lord.

Humans can control his worst impulses, his worst side, he stops doing that. And at the end of the show only the psychotic self is really there anymore.

I don't see the show as "someone good becoming bad" and more as a human letting his worse version take the reigns of his life.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He killed 2 people in the first two episodes of the show. He came up with an elaborate plan to get rid of the body.

Blowing up a car isn't a big deal.

He's a sociopath.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
It's absolutely in line with Walt's character. What I find hard to believe, though, is that no one saw this happening and that there were no cameras in the vicinity. Seems like a weird break with reality to engage with a rather stereotypical framing of the (anti) hero, very much unlike Breaking Bad in its later seasons.

They did stuff like that all the time, then have Saul call his guy and clean it up before anyone sees it. Not that it upset me, I get we need to suspend our disbelief for stuff like this.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Scenes like that is why Season 1 is my favorite season of the series.

It's simply a character study about Walt's descend into villainy. In season 1, the blurred line comes front and center. He is doing a bad thing but with a hint of a moral justification, which basically embodies his journey (his deluded sense that he did all what he died for his family, which comes full circle in the last episode when he acknowledges he did it because he enjoyed it).

Agreed. I can get behind this statement, and then in later seasons we introduce the Mexican cartel and pipe bombs tied to wheel chairs and planes crashing and falling out of the sky and just general over the top action and the series takes a nose dive for me. The best moments of breaking bad are the small time petty shit not the industrial world entrepreneurial endeavors he falls into.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Agreed. I can get behind this statement, and then in later seasons we introduce the Mexican cartel and pipe bombs tied to wheel chairs and planes crashing and falling out of the sky and just general over the top action and the series takes a nose dive for me. The best moments of breaking bad are the small time petty shit not the industrial world entrepreneurial endeavors he falls into.

Yup.

Not that the rest of it was bad. As you pointed out, it's just most of its great scenes are those grounded personal ones, which what season 1 was basically about.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I get that Walt is really unhappy he just found out he has cancer and may leave his family in debt,
But to blow up someone's car just because he's an entitled douche bag seems psychotic, not to mention that its next to gas station which could of blown up and injured or killed many innocent people and caused $1000s in damage.

Well, you solved your own thread. Walt is not a good person and becomes worst by the minute. That was the beginning.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think a better discussion would be has Walt always been a terrible person? If not, when did he lose it? The cancer diagnosis? Killing Krazy-8?

Brian Cranston has said Walt first broke bad in the very first episode. Either he means the first guy he killed in the camper with the red phosphorus, or the fact that Walt decided the best way out of his financial situation was cooking meth.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017

In every single season except for 5A, they gave you worse villains than Walt, forcing you to root for him. Which is why so many people are conflicted as they're supposed to be. It's not bizarre. The show made you root for Walt a lot, and also made you hate him a lot.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This is pretty spot on for Walt. He's not a good person, he's unstable, and he's vengeful.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Walt is psychotic and always was deep down. He's a well of ego and resentment.
The viewer mistakes his being meek at the beginning for his being a nice.