• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The only thing that gives me pause is the rougelike part, like it can look as good as it wants but if I get bored on randomly generated stuff after a couple hours that's it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm very excited for Returnal. There's something about that really entices me.

There's this art installation in New Mexico called MEOW WOLF: THE HOUSE OF ETERNAL RETURN that features a normal house in the middle of an alien landscape that this came really evokes. But beyond the vibes, I'm at the point of my life where I just want a good game that's easy to get lost in with a core loop that keeps me going.

Seems like i keep hearing about Meow Wolf lately. Same dude that did Omega Mart

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It really is a beautiful evolution of what they've done before and based on their experience and track record, you know they know what they're doing here.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah as I thought I don't feel any Souls from this. Dash iframes aren't exclusive to these games. Nor Vanquish, which gameplay is way different. Maybe Automata, but just for the dash (and maybe the running).

Anyway, it looks good but I'm kinda skeptical actually, about the gameplay. I need to play it and feel how it really plays.

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like i keep hearing about Meow Wolf lately. Same dude that did Omega Mart

I can only speak to the one in NM but it was a blast. I'm excited to go to the new one in Vegas someday, and there's one close to opening in Denver. They're all going to be separate thematically, so it's worth going to them all.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
That clip may have actually unsold me on the game. Gameplay looks great but I'd need a mouse and keyboard for that.

Also seems like Stormdivers eventually became Returnal. Since it's Housemarque I'll probably buy it anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, everything I saw so far looked incredibly dull and repetitive to me. The video above is a perfect example.

Oh blue bullet hell dots you have to dodge, oh next enemy has red dots, the next has some waves. It's the same thing in green, as you would say.

That's a really weird take to me. You could boil every game down to "it,'s just" while in reality that's incredibly dismissive. How many AAA games are there in which a middle-aged female astronaut gets caught-up in a timeloop, dealing with bullets hells, dashing and grapling hooking all over the place, deciphering alien language and getting caught in weird P.T. esque surreal first-person sequences?

I can see what OP means..The fast dashing has hints of Vanquish, even though Returnal seems to have more verticality, and it seems to have original, super agressive enemies and a puzzling non-linear narrative told mostly through lore and environment, like Souls games do.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It looks like a better and less cartoony version of ReCore for the Xbox One honestly, and I am 100% for that honestly. But just the movement and combat really reminds me of that game which is awesome. This'll be one of the first games I get on PS5 assuming it isn't already on PC by the time I get one

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
This does look good, I think if they weren't asking £70 for it, it would be getting hyped quite a bit

Oct 25, 2017
More like Nex Machina meets Risk of Rain 2, I think? Looks awesome, for sure. By far the most interesting PS5 exclusive to me, at the moment.

It kind of looks like what I hoped Nier Automata would offer in gameplay.

Just not sold on the roguelike part.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Reminds me a lot of gunvalkyrie honestly. The movement and side-dashes with the gunplay are very reminiscent.

Glad I payed attention here, thought this was just a horror game.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is looking better and better. It's a shame Sony is giving it that awful price tag. This game could really soar.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't remind be of Souls or Vanquish. I just get a Nier vibe. This game is still struggling to get me onboard.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I trhink they've done an insanely bad job on selling this game so far. I hope it's great but can't justify getting it Day 1 based on what we've seen so far.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, outside of the visuals it gives me more of a Nex Machina in 3D space vibe than anything. For obvious reasons.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I too get sOuLs ViBeS anytime I see a third-person game with boss fights and a dodge button

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I remember not caring when this was shown during the PS5 event but this looks interesting now. Using the word Vanquish immediately gets my attention. This doesn't scream Vanquish, but I can see where you're coming from.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't remind be of Souls or Vanquish. I just get a Nier vibe. This game is still struggling to get me onboard.
I'm generally not a fan of roguelikes (except Hades), and the only thing I've played from Housemarque before was Resogun. Those things combined with the price tag and the metric shit-ton of games coming in May and June has me on the fence.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I hope it doesn't have Souls vibes, I am cautiously excited about it, but I can't stand Souls games.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I love how fast paced it all looks in the latest, really happy that HM kept to what they do best too, but just at a way higher budget, that's the main vibe I get. Hoping it does great, will get it when I get a PS5, it should then be at a more reasonable price for me too, as not a big roguelike fan, but love HM's Bullet Hells.

Aug 14, 2020
I'm so excited for this game but my only concern is the difficulty. I can handle a game being hard if I get to save after overcoming a challenge, and it's like, 'well I don't have to do that again...' but with rouge-likes, you have to redo everything whenever you fail. It's what put me off Hades (which I otherwise loved).

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what is supposed to be Souls about this but I like the bullet hell elements

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for this game but my only concern is the difficulty. I can handle a game being hard if I get to save after overcoming a challenge, and it's like, 'well I don't have to do that again...' but with rouge-likes, you have to redo everything whenever you fail. It's what put me off Hades (which I otherwise loved).
Hades has permanent upgrades though. It becomes significantly easier the more you play. Returnal is probably the same.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I think it's like Hades. Handcrafted areas, but there's a bunch of potential scenarios that can unfold.
Sure; and people would call Hades a roguelike. Denying the roguelike nature of Returnal is a weird pivot, especially when the developers call it exactly that and reference the randomly generated elements in every interview or preview.