• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When people say: "Westernized" 99% of the time they mean "Realistic".

I mean how else can I interpret your post saying it's too "Westernized" when outside minor changes (and just in general being more detailed), the designs are still easy to match with the sprites.

Actually its not a matter of realism. This is a very good piece of art, its just not my preference. With the FF art and a lot Eastern art in general I find there's a bit more appreciation for.. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it but the the strokes that aren't there as much as the ones that are. There's a certain flow between strokes that grabs me and generally seems more common with Eastern art and I guess I've come to associate the two, though of course there is crossover.

No issues with the realism at all or the characters being unrecognisable etc. Just not my preference over the original art.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Actually its not a matter of realism. This is a very good piece of art, its just not my preference. With the FF art and a lot Eastern art in general I find there's a bit more appreciation for.. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it but the the strokes that aren't there as much as the ones that are. There's a certain flow between strokes that grabs me and generally seems more common with Eastern art and I guess I've come to associate the two, though of course there is crossover.

No issues with the realism at all or the characters being unrecognisable etc. Just not my preference over the original art.
Minimalism, or the zen concept of "Ma"
"Music is the silence between the notes." - Claude Debussy
The impact of the music has as much to do with how you use silence as it does with how you actually play the notes, this can apply to visual art as well.
Thousands of years steeped in tradition have influenced Japan's architecture and interior design aesthetic, resulting in the serene and uncluttered style, known to the rest of the world as Japanese minimalism. Inspired by the spartan aesthetic of Japan's traditional Zen Buddhism, the minimalist movement goes against modern consumerism, keeping life simple and uncluttered by adhering to the bare essentials. Japanese aesthetics evolved around clean and uncluttered living, holding tightly to balance, ancient customs and a love for natural beauty. This simplicity of design and ascetic discipline of form has informed all aspects of traditional Japanese culture, art and lifestyle.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Been following Dave Rapoza's work for a while now. Glad more people are getting exposed to it. He has done some other fantastic fanart of Square's stuff. Buff Strago is love, buff Strago is life.

Do not look up his Garfield stuff tho

Please look up his Garfield stuff tho.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this as it was being made and absolutely loved it the entire way through. FANTASTIC reinterpretation of Amanos designs in a way that would look GREAT in 3D, the details and personality shine through plus its a really fantastic composition. His recent Chrono Trigger art was also masterful.

Mogs eyes should be flat though, that is my only gripe

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
They look like actually capable combatants, as opposed to skinny anime fashion models! Oh no.
Being very precise in reproducing Amano's costume designs but then making all the dudes superhero-level ripped strikes me as kinda missing the forest for the trees. It's not a bad change for some of them, granted, but it'd be nice to have a little more variety in body types.

Also why does Gau look 40

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I mean, it is impressive... but I kinda hate it. Ignores the art style entirely and goes full western, faces are too realistic and kinda gross, Suikoden USA box vibes

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic, hot damn.

I just wish Terra had her blonde canonical hair.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
They look like actually capable combatants, as opposed to skinny anime fashion models! Oh no.
I am glad you commented on this, when I was playing through the game I was always concerned about the realism, as my characters were boarding a steampunk airship, casting magic and summoning deities to aid them in their quest, as well as saving a feral child who can actually learn monsters' moves such as self destruction and 1000 needles, yes. I was always worried if they were too skinny anime to be able to fight

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! This is the artist behind this famous April O'Neil fanart:

5w6cqwP.jpg

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up the Suikoden USA box art after so many posts brought it up.

What kinda disingenuous whack ass comparison.

tumblr_p2x7pj6jJT1vujrhgo2_250.jpg

Arguing this trash box art is similar at all to the art in the OP?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up the Suikoden USA box art after so many posts brought it u[.

Don't you know? Realism is bad and ugly. Therefore they're both a lot alike!

/s

It's just anime fans angry that someone made art of their thing they like in a non-anime style.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I am glad you commented on this, when I was playing through the game I was always concerned about the realism, as my characters were boarding a steampunk airship, casting magic and summoning deities to aid them in their quest, as well as saving a feral child who can actually learn monsters' moves such as self destruction and 1000 needles, yes. I was always worried if they were too skinny anime to be able to fight
Who said anything about realism? This is a matter of aesthetics.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you know? Realism is bad and ugly. Therefore they're both a lot alike!

/s

It's just anime fans angry that someone made art of their thing they like in a non-anime style.
How, pray tell, does Amano's art style qualify as "anime"? I swear some of you people are just ridiculous with your tired-ass thing I don't like = "anime" takes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I think it'd be pretty cool to have all of that done by characters that look like humans like you and me and not always performed by cartoon characters. There's room in the gaming space for both and - what do you know - some people prefer one style to the other. Or even both!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How, pray tell, does Amano's art style qualify as "anime"? I swear some of you people are just ridiculous with your tired-ass thing I don't like = "anime" takes.

Im sorry can people only do fan art of the game if it's done exactly in Amano's art style?

I wouldn't classify Amano's art as anime but anime fans are nearly always the ones who complain about realism.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it doesn't feel like an FF artwork but it's pretty impressive on a technical level. That mog is weird af tho.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
because it's realistic? You guys do realize realism isn't exclusive to the west, right?

I think some people need to relax on the anime for a bit.
Totally agree. I think some of them are mad that they aren't realistically Asian-looking characters and look more Western. It's FUCKIN' FANART!!! Fuckin' weebs are the WORST!

Why would someone who wants to do a fanart THEIR OWN WAY have to make it look super true-to-form with Amano's art? It's less griping on anime and more griping on, "Why does this look so WESTERN-looking?" or, "Why is the fan-artist not emulating the original artist MORE?!". WTF?!!! As I said, it's FANART. You don't HAVE to like it, but nothing is wrong with the style chosen.

Last edited:

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
It's beautiful indeed. And I love this more than the art of someone like Nomura. I'd love Dave R. to do something for IX.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Does Final Fantasy have a resurgence every time there's a new game and I'm just witnessing this because FF7R is fresh

or

is Final Fantasy just constantly popping off and I'm only just now noticing it because I'm new to the fandom?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I...:don't love it sorry OP.
Several characters don't look right to me based on their sprites and a lot of the faces are pretttty weird. Locke looks ok and Cyan is good but Terra, Sabin, Setzer/Some Belmont lol are all really weird!

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont care for the game but that art looks great. Even with my limited knowledge the characters are recognizable so I dont get those complaints at all. Are they not anime or child-like enough or something?

Does Final Fantasy have a resurgence every time there's a new game and I'm just witnessing this because FF7R is fresh

or

is Final Fantasy just constantly popping off and I'm only just now noticing it because I'm new to the fandom?
The latter surely. Even just the "what's the best FF" conversations are too frequent.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Why does Setzer look like a vampire?

Some of those are ok, some aren't my favorite. I'm still convinced FFVI would be ruined if it was remade. All pretty anime people and awful anime grunting and terrible anime voice acting. No thanks.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Not my kind of fanart, but I can definitely tell that it's greatly done.

Mog looks like he's ready to fuck some shit up lol

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I had to look up the Suikoden USA box art after so many posts brought it up.

Trash box art?? That's as amazing as the original Megaman US box art. Iconic! In all honesty glad I still bought that game when it came out because the box art almost turned me off from doing so.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Really impressive art.

Not how I'd want a remake. I'd want something like how FFT:WotL cutscenes looked, but recreating Amano's style, and with more color.

But still, I can respect the quality of this piece.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The latter surely. Even just the "what's the best FF" conversations are too frequent.
I wonder if they're just constantly gaining new fans and that's why those conversations pop up all the time. Because even as I sit here playing FFIX for the first time I can't help but compare it to the two other FF games I just finished (7R and X).

Oct 27, 2017
If I were a port beggar this would remind me to say "I would really love to play FF6 on Switch" but thankfully since I'm not a port beggar I would never say something so pathetic... pehh! (that's me spitting in outrage)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
This artwork made me start up a playthrough of FFVI, and I've never played much of it or even completed it before, but I'm going for it hard now!

Is there an OT for this game, or a beginner tips thread anywhere around Era?

I love Locke so far, he seems really charming, or at least with the accent I'm using, calm and laidback relic adventurer. Edgar is a real shit womanizer though, he has a cool ass castle though.