• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism, Anti-SJW Rhetoric, History of similar infractions.
People just don't know shit about color theory and light and shadow work and looking like sjw idiots.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
Was this posted already?
I saw something like 5 or 6 completely white Nessas from various artists on Twitter today. My guess is that whole discussion rubbed many artists that viewed it the wrong way, and it's more or less in blatant defiance of the "you have to draw her like this or you're a Bad Person" vibe that was put forth them.

On one hand, them intentionally making the problem worse obviously doesn't make the situation any better and that's disgusting. On the other, I'm not sure there was realistically going to be any other outcome to such a crash, confrontational attitude other than defiance.

At least I can sleep tight knowing this stupidity has 0 effect on the actual game character, who's still awesome.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
All this shit happened because of one image someone posted on Twitter of Nessa being too pale? Damn. They sure stepped on a landmine. I see the nazis have crawled out of their damp crevices of the internet to post their le ebin clown world memes too.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Antagonizing other members; history of similar infractions
Who knew that people could get so up in arms about fan art for a video game.

Imagine spending that energy on something, I dunno - worthwhile...

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
People just don't know shit about color theory and light and shadow work and looking like sjw idiots.

tCSVBWZ.jpg

It seems don't know shit about it either seeing she's Pink in the artwork....

SJW Idiots..... yawn
People can be really petty, I know because I am too. It's not surprising that people would go out of their way to make her lighter because they feel that they're being unfairly critiqued.

I don't even know how that helps their case, doubling down on being a bigoted asshole? Then you got the morons doing the shoop coloring. Its a complete shitshow. Once again, gaming internet users show their ass

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
The fan art is bad and the artist is a bad person. The information in the OP is not enough for me to determine if the artist fucked up with a creative work accidentally (mistakes happen, drawing something the right way is a lot harder than 'don't say racist stuff', etc) versus purposefully creating garbage racist filth, but the way the artist handled this situation kinda tells the tale.

1: They didn't delete the tweet. Art is still up on their TL.

2: I am not entirely sure what this tweet actually says, but based on what Google Translate outputs....yikes, chief. https://twitter.com/Naju0517/status/1139871725930176512

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imagine getting so worked up you post dismissive comments on a video game forum about how the subject at hand isn't important enough
Who's worked up? Lol. It didn't take much to read the OP and make that comment, and yeah, it's dismissive, I won't take it back.

If this had been about say, Nintendo changing the "colour palette" of the actual character - sure that'd warrant discussion. This? Really?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People arguing it's not... dude that comparison picture with the model, the art and fanart.

There's no doubt it's whitewashed. This is a topic. How clearer skins are valued more in terms of design and beauty's standards, and the fact it happens whether consciously or not, sucks.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Artists can do whatever they want, but when you're seeing an abnormal amount of fan art that don't try to replicate her dark skin that's a little worrying.

DC has never established a baseline look for Connor so artists just draw what they think looks like a mixed person. He's suppose to be half white, half black, and part asian.
Poor baby danI
1237866-jessica_and_spidey_by_girl_power1.jpg

5160343-danielle.jpg

6816377-rco044.jpg

Last one is part of a story arc

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Who's worked up? Lol. It didn't take much to read the OP and make that comment, and yeah, it's dismissive, I won't take it back.

If this had been about say, Nintendo changing the "colour palette" of the actual character - sure that'd warrant discussion. This? Really?

its people pointing out obvious bias in their depiction of a dark skinned character.

If its not important to you, why the fuck would anyone care about you telling us you're apathetic. That clearly doesn't warrant a discussion either.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
A single fanart piece that uses weird lightning causes controversy i won't humor the shitty artist he could draw her blue for all i care

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Same shit happened with Lucio in Overwatch like mother fuckers don't know what a color picker is.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When artists care more about being "rightfully" criticized than the harm they are doing with their art it angers me a lot. You don't even own the character

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Man, I'm glad my Twitter feed missed 100% of this.

But yeah, it's whitewashing. If I viewed that fanart without any knowledge of the new Pokemon games, I'd think that Nessa is a white character. They colored her pink, for Christ's sake. The color that white people are. This is a story because, instead of accepting criticism, the artist seems to have doubled down, and other artists in the scene have tripled down by drawing her even paler. That's fucked up, and indicative of a whole host of subconscious biases and, at the very least, an intentional disregard for the concerns and representation of PoC in those later artists.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think the jp artist in the first post was intentionally trying to whitewash the character. They seem to be going for that washed out pastel colors style (going by their other artwork), but failed at getting the skintone right.

There's a lot of people who are blatantly whitewashing Nessa and other characters though, and it's really stupid.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Care to elaborate on this? - because that's quite the statement without providing further explanation and sources and reeks of "the science is settled", which is, of course, not true at all.

You're right; "uncontroversial" isn't necessarily the most apt description, given the context. It is, however, mainstream:

I'll also link an engaging critique of the biological basis of race in the context of forensic anthropology, one particular field of anthropology known for its persistence in utilizing the racial classification system:

I was overbroad in my choice of words, but that you'd frame the conception of race-as-socially-constructed being the product of PC policing is concerning. That you'd retort with the accusation that I'm misrepresenting the science or committing "politically motivated doublethink" (which treads awfully close to a certain kind of ideological territory) is... something.

Population genetics is not race. Heritability is not race. Evolutionary biology is not race.

When it's claimed that PC police/postmodernists/cultural marxists/"The Left"/whatever are denying the very obvious truth by being willfully blind to the fact that genetic variation exists within humans, what's really happening is either ignorance to what is being rejected or a disingenuous reframing of the term "race" that is at odds with its use by the public.

And yet, we reject the understanding that 53.3% of alleles are not shared across humans as proof we are different? https://web.stanford.edu/group/rosenberglab/papers/popstruct.pdf

From the article:

"Because most alleles are widespread, genetic differences among human populations derive mainly from gradations in allele frequencies rather than from distinctive "diagnostic" genotypes. Indeed, it was only in the accumulation of small allele-frequency differences across many loci that population structure was identified."

Also, the insinuation that genetic differences amongst human populations are equivalent to speciation is alarming, to put it mildly, and I suspect stems from a misreading of those two studies you're comparing. (A percentage of alleles shared between two distinct taxonomic groups is a different metric from a percentage of alleles universal to a single group)

Further, it is understood that we can make a prediction of any particular human's classification into a distinct population or "race" using genetic markers with near 100% accuracy, despite the fact that genetic difference between 2 members of the same distinct population can be greater than between 2 members of different distinct populations: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1893020/

That article lists a number of caveats towards the end, including:

"The fact that, given enough genetic data, individuals can be correctly assigned to their populations of origin is compatible with the observation that most human genetic variation is found within populations, not between them. It is also compatible with our finding that, even when the most distinct populations are considered and hundreds of loci are used, individuals are frequently more similar to members of other populations than to members of their own population. Thus, caution should be used when using geographic or genetic ancestry to make inferences about individual phenotypes."

It also makes note, that for the purpose of the analysis, it specifically utilizes especially geographically distinct populations, such distinctions as were to conveniently map onto traditional classifications of race. A survey of the world population is a different matter entirely.

"Race is a social construct" does not mean that differences do not exist between human populations. It does mean that modern humans do not exist in distinct taxonomical groupings.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the jp artist in the first post was intentionally trying to whitewash the character. They seem to be going for that washed out pastel colors style (going by their other artwork), but failed at getting the skintone right.

There's a lot of people who are blatantly whitewashing Nessa and other characters though, and it's really stupid.

I initially thought that might be the case, but after looking into it it was definitely a common trend among the community regardless of style.
I feel like a bit of a fool in retrospect for making the assumption that it was a style thing.

For reference, these are characters broadcast on Japanese TV in 2019, adaptations of very popular manga.

I don't think giving them the benefit of the doubt is really much of an option here. The original Pokemon trainer in question is a great design, and there was absolutely no need to modify her like some of these people are.

Last edited:

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Well, I can confirm that Japan or Asian country very Colorism (Lighter is better)

Recently, The New Disneys Show "Amphibia" has the main character is Thai-American girls.

A lot of Thai people complain/surprise about why she has a tan/brown skin (despite that is our natural skin)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really disappointed in how many people here are saying it's a non-issue, not worth discussing, nothing wrong here, etc.

Not entirely surprised, though. FFS look beyond your hobbies and your own internal biases.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
You're right; "uncontroversial" isn't necessarily the most apt description, given the context. It is, however, mainstream:

I'll also link an engaging critique of the biological basis of race in the context of forensic anthropology, one particular field of anthropology known for its persistence in utilizing the racial classification system:

I was overbroad in my choice of words, but that you'd frame the conception of race-as-socially-constructed being the product of PC policing is concerning. That you'd retort with the accusation that I'm misrepresenting the science or committing "politically motivated doublethink" (which treads awfully close to a certain kind of ideological territory) is... something.

Population genetics is not race. Heritability is not race. Evolutionary biology is not race.

When it's claimed that PC police/postmodernists/cultural marxists/"The Left"/whatever are denying the very obvious truth by being willfully blind to the fact that genetic variation exists within humans, what's really happening is either ignorance to what is being rejected or a disingenuous reframing of the term "race" that is at odds with its use by the public.

From the article:

"Because most alleles are widespread, genetic differences among human populations derive mainly from gradations in allele frequencies rather than from distinctive "diagnostic" genotypes. Indeed, it was only in the accumulation of small allele-frequency differences across many loci that population structure was identified."

Also, the insinuation that genetic differences amongst human populations are equivalent to speciation is alarming, to put it mildly, and I suspect stems from a misreading of those two studies you're comparing. (A percentage of alleles shared between two distinct taxonomic groups is a different metric from a percentage of alleles universal to a single group)

That article lists a number of caveats towards the end, including:

"The fact that, given enough genetic data, individuals can be correctly assigned to their populations of origin is compatible with the observation that most human genetic variation is found within populations, not between them. It is also compatible with our finding that, even when the most distinct populations are considered and hundreds of loci are used, individuals are frequently more similar to members of other populations than to members of their own population. Thus, caution should be used when using geographic or genetic ancestry to make inferences about individual phenotypes."

It also makes note, that for the purpose of the analysis, it specifically utilizes especially geographically distinct populations, such distinctions as were to conveniently map onto traditional classifications of race. A survey of the world population is a different matter entirely.

"Race is a social construct" does not mean that differences do not exist between human populations. It does mean that modern humans do not exist in distinct taxonomical groupings.

This is a very good and informative post.

There certainly are physical/biological differences between groups of people that are conventionally categorized into different races; this really isn't saying much, you can find reliable biological differences that are predictive of all sorts of ways of dividing people up. But it is unequivocally false to say that the modern conception of race corresponds to some kind of objectively correct parsing of biological variance.

baltikr1s

Banned
May 24, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing racism; account still in junior phase
Some people definitely have too much of the free time.
I would not even think about for a split second about some "whitewashing" by look on this picture.
Fucking 1st world bullshit.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Annnnnnd someone has her in blackface. Or at least the closest thing to it. That didn't take long.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern artists are actually intentionally doing this now, gimme a break

I kinda expect it would have come to this. These Eastern artists don't care wbout western culture. They just draw wtf they want. The artist in that Tweet straight up said he doesn't give a damn since his English is poor anyway.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda expect it would have come to this. These Eastern artists don't care wbout western culture. They just draw wtf they want. The artist in that Tweet straight up said he doesn't give a damn since his English is poor anyway.
Funny because when something from Japan is changed in localization a lot of people, maybe including some that are defending this art, say it is disrespectful to their culture