• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanFodio

Alt account
Banned
May 28, 2019
As an experiment I took the 12 most upvoted images on Pixiv and compared the mid tones.

Not the biggest sample size and not accounting for light conditions, but at the most popular level almost every skintone was lighter.
Would probably need to do a bigger sample size, but I think its easy enough to just look at the submissions and notice a trend.
At some point "ignorance" of obvious trends has to be called out for what it actually is...racism. No excuses.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I don't know enough about art/coloring/shading/etc. to really have an informed opinion on this one way or another.

I will say that after looking through the thread and seeing the examples of the art of Nessa, as well as other black Nintendo characters provided by DigitalOP there DOES appear to be a bit of a problem is regards to the lightening of their skin tone in fan art. I doubt any of it is intending to be racist, hell most of these artists probably didn't think about it at all, but unintentional racism is still racism, and I can't fault anybody who has a problem with it.

Whenever a white or Japanese character is portrayed by a racial minority in cosplay/fanart/etc. there's always a vocal population decrying "just make your own character." Then, when we actually DO start to get some dark skinned/black representation, people turn around and make em white/light skinned. Shit's stupid.

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
i dont really understand how that skin would pass as "white" o.O

you can totally tell she is dark skinned.

Okay, so a lot of people seem to think "but wait, this character doesn't look white to me...?" is a proper response to an accusation of whitewashing.

It isn't.

The impulse to make a character some percentage lighter, to minimize features not traditionally associated with whiteness/white-dominated beauty ideals, all this passes as whitewashing.

"Oh, I'm not going to make her white or anything, but I think she looks prettier with lighter skin!" That is a classic example of whitewashing. Colorism is a thing.

I don't know how much more to the conversation there is other than "wow that is pretty shitty of the artist".

You're going out of your way to portray yourself as shockingly dense.

A thorough OP, 500+ posts, and even without all this it doesn't take much imagination to see how whitewashing in fan art might be a worthwhile subject of discussion.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
(also so much of these arts people draw are so lewd, holy shit lol Ass and titty shots everywhere)
I literally started a stop timer about 45-60 seconds after they revealed Sonia and waited for the first lewd drawing of her to come across my twitter.

It took about 10ish minutes...by 3:00PM, Twitter was fucking flooded with them.

As a self-identifying nerd and self-aware 'weeb', I find it both hilarious and fucking horrifying how "efficient" waifuism has gotten in nerd culture. Every time a new female character gets revealed (or shit, just a new design of an existing character) the internet hive-mind effectively says, "Well shit we just GOTTA draw her in like 20 different pieces of lingerie and participating in at least 10 different sexual fetishes! HURRY!"

I feel like Nintendo girls have it the absolute worst though, because they get the full brunt from both Eastern and Western fan-artists.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
va3.jpg

Suda51_Shinobu_Return.jpg

latest

--------

Shinobu.%28No.More.Heroes%29.full.357946.jpg

d4w5j39-e436f592-63e9-4b37-9bfd-6f3b61249b3e.jpg

d2m3n25-ae1057ac-efb3-4205-8c23-d2b3bb699a1f.jpg

17438123_1872441916303527_168840125092986880_n.jpg

925982_full.png

They got her all types of tan and red. Its an interesting discussion because it seems most artists go for the light brown, tan, and red and don't even think twice about shades of melanin because the black coloring is "just enough" to show she's a black character right? Shinobu is def a lot darker than these arts and its odd to tell artists how to make their art but there def needs some attention to be paid to skin tones.

Comparison to a accurate Shinobu

d1bhd2j-08cbedfb-d072-4cec-aa95-772af64661a9.jpg

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
This practice of whitewashing is indeed very annoying.

I have no problem with certain artists getting chewed out for it.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Doesn't surprise me that a Japanese artist would whitewash like that, Japan isn't exactly a country known for being very respectful of black people.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
As a brown person, I'm not offended by the image in the OP. However, there are a couple examples linked that are a bit more egregious and "lightwashed". Anyway, it's difficult to persuade artists to gain a new perspective on matters such as these without seeming antagonistic. For the most part there didn't seem to be much malice, aside from the later trolls, so I'm glad people like the character I guess. Just my two cents.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Its a good thing Luty Chan is here to tell people when to be angry.
"not everyone uses an eyedropper" is kind of missing the point when every artist worth a damn uses reference images, and Luty seems to believe that a person has to literally be pale white for whitewashing to apply.

He kind of proved himself wrong too, since no variation of a blue overlay layer is going to make her skin pink like the fan art in question, quite the opposite in fact.

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
They got her all types of tan and red. Its an interesting discussion because it seems most artists go for the light brown, tan, and red and don't even think twice about shades of melanin because the black coloring is "just enough" to show she's a black character right? Shinobu is def a lot darker than these arts and its odd to tell artists how to make their art but there def needs some attention to be paid to skin tones.

Thought I'd post my Shinobu fan art (drawn as a magical girl), I was conscious of whitewashing and made sure not to lighten her skin when I drew it-

Jun 1, 2019
The image in the op looks like a lighter/brown skinned person in a low light environment, she's definitely a lighter tone than in the official artwork, but I don't think it was intentional on the artists part though ( or at least I hope so); I think a lot of artists, even seasoned ones, don't understand how to render dark skin or how it reacts to light.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen so many people who have very little understanding of lighting/shading and color theory shitting on artists for this stuff in the past that I almost want to say that people who don't know these things shouldn't be allowed to have this discussion. Artist just picked a palette and ran with it. She doesn't look white. They didn't "erase" any of her features. Seeing people turn this into a white-washing argument is pretty frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
why are you guys terrorizing these people who want to whitewash! to have them learn they'd have to do something unthinkable. look at non-black pictures for reference or some shit or worse...practice

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
A scary amount of people in this thread seem to think "whitewashing" means "portraying as white".

It has nuanced meanings, but the underlying principle is that artists find dark skin ugly and can subconsciously (or deliberately) lighten the color of a character's skin because they think it's more attractive...

... EVEN
IF
YOU
CAN
STILL
TELL
THEY'RE
NOT
WHITE.

If you do not comprehend why using unnecessarily lighter skin tones to represent dark-skinned people is problematic, take some time to read into the issue and its effects before saying "color palettes".

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People really bringing out colour theory with this lmao? Funny how everyone and thier mother is suddenly an illustrator versed in colour and lighting when a black character is drawn white. Anyone backing the 'pastel' or other nonsense as an excuse are showing their ass.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen so many people who have very little understanding of lighting/shading and color theory shitting on artists for this stuff in the past that I almost want to say that people who don't know these things shouldn't be allowed to have this discussion. Artist just picked a palette and ran with it. She doesn't look white. They didn't "erase" any of her features. Seeing people turn this into a white-washing argument is pretty frustrating.

This artist draws almost exclusively very light skinned girls of questionable age in suggestive art, so its hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. The only other girl thats not pale is this one who looks tanned and has a very similar skintone. Ill admit they're very good at using color, and I doubt they weren't conscious of the decision to make her look similarly tanned.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017

Word, as an artist this whole thread is fucking embarrassing. The real controversy here is people thinking its okay to harass artists online about their content and "fixing" other peoples art as a sense of moral superiority.

Last edited:

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Only the artist knows their original intent, and may have just failed at an accurate portrayal.
At least the canon design is very clearly dark skinned. Pokemon has been quite good at diversity lately but Japan as a whole has a lot to learn. There's still too many "evil person has dark skin, but when turned good they are white" or "lets make a character based on the middle east and its mythology yet are white"...

Jun 1, 2019
Nessa's skin is a certainly a byproduct of the color palette the artist chose........and that choice involved making her skin tone lighter, it can't really be debated;.Nessa is darker in the promo art despite it having stronger lighting than the fan art in the op. I'm just trying to figure out whether it was a malicious choice, or just a byproduct of not understanding how light interacts with dark skin.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
va3.jpg

Suda51_Shinobu_Return.jpg

latest

--------

Shinobu.%28No.More.Heroes%29.full.357946.jpg

d4w5j39-e436f592-63e9-4b37-9bfd-6f3b61249b3e.jpg

d2m3n25-ae1057ac-efb3-4205-8c23-d2b3bb699a1f.jpg

17438123_1872441916303527_168840125092986880_n.jpg

925982_full.png

Comparison to a accurate Shinobu

d1bhd2j-08cbedfb-d072-4cec-aa95-772af64661a9.jpg
This one I'd actually say isn't that bad for most of them, at least compared to your previous examples like Marina. Doesn't help that the original game has her with inconsistent greyish skin and the fanart you posted has her as a more realistic dark brown.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
This is probably a mistake they didn't take in account. It is a palette choice, just not the correct one. Which makes it also white washing.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
There's a fine line between choosing a slightly different skin tone than the official artwork on a stylistic whim and making a character 20 shades lighter because you can't be bothered to depict someone with dark skin.

It's the excuses that really piss me off with these things. No one ever wants to own it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

The original Twitter thread linked in the OP is an absolute mess, loads of folk showing their asses.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

The original Twitter thread linked in the OP is an absolute mess, loads of folk showing their asses.

Dude the whole thing is a mess. God damn this could of been a teaching moment for that artist but fuck I do not think they will take to heart any real criticism now.
The thread replies are... well not heartening at all.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor artist, people foaming at the mouth to accuse them of whitewashing as if a dozen random twitter users are some authority on art. Shares art, gets berated, just gross.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Watch Nessa actually be just tanned and spark the controversy even more. She doesn't have lighter palms, after all.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism
People nowadays get offended by literally everything. Come on, it's getting hilarious.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That Warhol comment is complete nonsense imo. The fanart in question isn't even remotely in the Warhol style or anything close to it.

There are a lot of anime style artwork where a character has dark skin but is Japanese, similar to characters with blonde hair but are Japanese. It's usually quite obvious if a dark skinned character is meant to be of African descent or a blonde haired character is meant to be of European descent. When I look at this character she looks black, of African descent. Not dark-skinned Japanese. That's what I see at least.