• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every dog is a dog. Doesn't mean a German Shepherd is the same thing as a Poodle.

It's possible for a African-American and a Southeastern Asian to have the same skintone, but there are other traits outside skin pigment that allow them to remain distinct from one another.
Ok you realize dog breeds are arbitrary right?

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should go back to the post I did way back in the FF7 Barrett thread about skin color and photography. It's definitely relevant here as well, probably more relevant.

Based on at least this exchange I think they can read more than a little English.

D9HMgr8VUAEewev.jpg
People who address others like that deserve nothing. That last sentence is bullshit.

Imagine developing art snobbery over anime.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it does, actually.
I...

... really am not interested in what you think.

Seriously, people make this distinction all the time like I'm supposed to congratulate people on ONLY being accidentally racist.

Like, how does this help me? In any way? What am I supposed to take from this?

Face is, unintentional racism not being as far over the line as intentional racism doesn't mean it's magically not racism, especially when- for me- the line of acceptability is not being racist.

Sure. I'm not gonna string this person up because they subconsciously lean into liking lighter skin colors, even on darker-skinned black folks. But I'm not gonna give them a cookie either for not wanting to lynch me, nor am I about to give a damn about people trying to mince the differences between intentional and unintentional racism with me in an effort to make me as a black person be more forgiving, as if this world has done anything to deserve the forgiveness of black people. Like we owe y'all anything.

Miss. Me. With. Thaaaaaat.

Also, I'm trying to draw dammit.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just fan art, which is basically another form of fan fiction , why is anyone giving it attention in the first place? It's not official, so why argue about it? I mean, it's like fans that do the "shipping" crap or any other kind of fiction yeah? A lot of people "ship" straight characters and make them gay, or vice versa, it's not a big deal. People can interpret the characters or represent them however they want, until the official artwork starts whitewashing characters just ignore the random Artists that don't actually matter yea?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
My favourite thing here is the person saying you might have heard of Andy Warhol if you'd have 'studied art'.

There's a real problem with this in Asia, though. I was looking for some moisturiser the other day and I had to go into 3 shops before I found one that WASN'T 'whitening'

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In anime this is really tough, because it's inherently minimalistic (especially the style used in Pokémon). If I were drawing her in a photorealistic way, I'd use an actual black person as my reference, and not just a hue-shifted white person, which sadly, for some reason, you don't seem to understand the difference.
Just keep digging. Jesus Christ.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I'm honestly just wondering why her dark skin tone means that she's black, and not a different race with dark skin? Couldn't she just as easily be considered indian, latino, or south asian?

This is so petty, and this "honest question" only comes up for dark skin anime characters. How convenient.

Why would our opinions even matter here? What's your threshold on what is a black anime character? How about you explain that to us before we continue this "discussion"

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This is so petty, and this "honest question" only comes up for dark skin anime characters. How convenient.

Why would our opinions even matter here? What's your threshold on what is a black anime character? How about you explain that to us before we continue this "discussion"
You already know what they need to consider someone black
s-l300.jpg

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Just keep digging. Jesus Christ.
I mean go and look back at everyone who responded to you and try to understand that there's nothing bad or ugly about all the racial features that make up humanity.

One last time, next time you see people of colour asking for more hairstyles and customisation options in character creators, in order to better represent themselves and their race, try to avoid telling people that the only thing they really need is a colour slider. It comes across really badly.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Being able to tell that the person is supposed to be black is my threshold. I've said I can't tell what race Nessa is supposed to be, and really just am curious if I'm missing something that makes it obvious to others that she's black. And if my using certain words then I'm sorry, that's not my intend.

You already know what they need to consider someone black
s-l300.jpg

I see, so that's the point this thread is at now, cool.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean go and look back at everyone who responded to you and try to understand that there's nothing bad or ugly about all the racial features that make up human
When did I say that? Of course I recognize the beauty and diversity in humanity. Jesus Christ you keep dodging my questions. Just because humans are diverse doesn't mean that there are "traits inherent to race".

Like you seem to be accusing me of being "the real racist" by saying that... black people are humans too?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you're whitewashing on purpose thats a bad look but I really dont see how the piece that spawned this drama was done on purpose. The artist picked an artistic palette and did a good job with it.

If theres no I'll intent its pretty damn stupid to say that you need to colorpick the original skin and that any other skin tone is wrong, thats just arguing in bad faith.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Personally, as a dark-skinned south-indian person myself, we get fuck all representation as it is...
so it's a little off-putting when dark-skinned characters who display no additional racial characteristics are automatically grouped into "black" rather than just an inclusive "dark skinned" grouping.

Same annoyance with light-skinned characters automatically being considered "white"

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
When did I say that? Of course I recognize the beauty and diversity in humanity. Jesus Christ you keep dodging my questions.
Everyone can just go back and see what you said, it's fine. You straight up said that outside of skin colour, there's no other physical racial characteristics in humans. Fuck all those people who want "black hairstyles", right? There's nothing else to say to you, you're just really misguided.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Being able to tell that the person is supposed to be black is my threshold. I've said I can't tell what race Nessa is supposed to be, and really just am curious if I'm missing something that makes it obvious to others that she's black. And if my using certain words then I'm sorry, that's not my intend.

Congratulations, you discovered a circle.

Im asking you what defines a black character to your standards.... and you replied

"Being able to tell she's black" ......

You can't tell what race she's suppose to be..... okay so tell us what would make her 100% black in your eyes.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the piece in question warrants a ton of controversy. I do like the guides and resources for depicting darker skin tones in the OP though, I think that's a constructive reaction to the hubbub.

Oct 26, 2018
Exactly, its the beauty of art and fan art, people can interpret it in their own ways, if the artist says its not whitewashed, then its their right to say that, just like its the observers right to say it is a bit too pale in their taste. but to prove a point in how color theory and how individuals perceive color and tones is quite tricky, (purple black/white gold dress anyone?) Art is such a fluid subject and personal interpretation of subject matters is such a major aspect of it.
You do know thst this is waay bigger than just fanart, there are black girls that love to see someone like them in ART or whatever, when things like this happens it. Makes them think that since they hsvve darker skin, they aren't as pretty as the fair skinnedpeople. This can lead them to thinking dark skin is bad and need to change how they look or bleach their skin. Doesn't matter if it's art, IF you change it enough from the source material( like this fan pic) it can have many negative effects. Colorism is a BIG issue in the black and latin communities, and this is making things worse

And also it is whitewashing because it's taking a darker skinned woman and making her tones lighter, doesn't mean making her white. Going from dark to lightskin is Still white washing. It's saying lighter tones is more attractive than darker ones

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If theres no I'll intent its pretty damn stupid to say that you need to colorpick the original skin and that any other skin tone is wrong, thats just arguing in bad faith.
When there are numerous cases of this, and when it typically only applies to darker skin tones and not lighter ones, don't you think the effect is the same to people who have those skin tones in real life? Or do you think they just don't care and excuse all of it because "they didn't mean it"?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, as a dark-skinned south-indian person myself, we get fuck all representation as it is...
so it's a little off-putting when dark-skinned characters who display no additional racial characteristics are automatically grouped into "black" rather than just an inclusive "dark skinned" grouping.

Same annoyance with light-skinned characters automatically being considered "white"
I do agree with you and think she's Indian based off of parts of her design. Even so, that doesn't change the main point of the thread which is fan artist's tendency to take dark skinned characters and make them lighter skinned.

Depressingly, I've gotten used to it at this point, though I do think the example in the OP isn't as bad some of the examples DigitalOp has posted.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

Thats how the game goes until things get better. People are going to identify with what options are available unless its explicit. You have Amara in BL3 who is clearly Indian who gives that representation, thats awesome. Nobody is saying she's black ethnically, but she is dark skinned and nobody should be surprised if black girls/darker skinned girls feel represented by that.

We had a thread where someone claimed 2 Galar pokemon characters as Desi. Based in a UK region. the fresh names are ethnic, so it makes sense. Nobody had a problem with it except for the few who played the same bullshit thats happening in this thread about "not being able to determine what race they are"

All of that is deflection, the main issue is that some artist represent these characters by drawing them shades lighter than their original depictions. But not all of a sudden the discussion wants to be about what the characters are ethnically and its off the mark.

Its slim pickings already, black people are gonna be excited for dark skin characters regardless of ethnicity.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Yeah i was arguing about colorism to someone on twitter. They had the nerve to post some well "why is it ok to have a lightskinned person have darker skin but not visaversa?"

Also love the well "i'm asian i don't see the problem". You then tell them why it's a problem. "Well it just seems really hypocritical." *throws up hands*

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still unclear as to why this is so controversial. Fan artists draw characters with inaccurate skin tones all the time. I know I've seen a few slightly darker skinned sailor moon or Kingdom Hearts fanart.

It's not like fans can will darker skinned official characters to have a lighter skin tone in canon. It should be obvious to anyone that knows the character that lighter skin isn't really her skin tone. Sure there's the argument that people unfamilar with the character might get the wrong idea or references the inaccurate fan art for their own art, but they'd willingly be disregarding official art/character design (if that were their excuse).

I really dont get the shouting matches or glasses pushing up "correcting" attitude that some people can have for fan art. I dont like it when other try to edit other people's art and I also dont like it when people feel the need to school others on how to correctly portray a character, as if they dont know how they originally looked and went thier own way with it regardless.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, Lenora isn't a mammy character. She's literally a museum director and fossil expert. Not to mention B/W also had other dark skinned characters such as Iris and the E4 member, Marshal
In particular, it was her outfit that caused controversy and led people to criticize her design in terms of that trope. Thus, the localization team went out of their way to remove her apron in both her official game artwork and the anime.

You're right that Unova had some good black & brown characters though. Iris is great. And I really liked the Water gym leader Marlon — though I guess the "brown vs tan" issue crops up again there, since he clearly has lighter-toned feet.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nessa can be indian and her skin tone be black, those things arent exclusive of each other
Just like you can be latino and be black

Oct 26, 2018
It's actually just saying "this is the color I chose for my art". The rest is your interpretation of it.
No it's not, that's literally what colorism is about, art like this basically promotes thst, even tho that wasn't the purpose. As a black man who've seen black woman hate their skin cus of shit like this, don't come with that" interpretation shit" .

Discrimination based on skin color, also known ascolorism or shadeism, is a form of prejudice or discrimination in which people are treated differently based on the social meanings attached to skin color.
Colorism is a persistent problem for people of color in the USA. Colorism, or skin color stratification, is a process that privileges light‐skinned people of color over dark in areas such as income, education, housing, and the marriage market.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When there are numerous cases of this, and when it typically only applies to darker skin tones and not lighter ones, don't you think the effect is the same to people who have those skin tones in real life? Or do you think they just don't care and excuse all of it because "they didn't mean it"?
Depends on the artist, their culture, their experiences etc. For example, pretty much every white artist in America doesnt know how to draw and paint black people or black skin tones, its not hard to learn at all and people in the US interact with black people regularly ... yet they still draw the same, stereotypical archetype and call it a day.

In Japan? You barely see or interact with black people so of course they are not aware that this conversation is a thing. Some will have I'll intent and engage in colorism and some will just look at a piece in terms of value and go for something with lower contrast without full knowledge of how to paint dark skin because they never do it ... while being entirely unaware that its going to offend a lot of people in a different continent in a language they dont understand

Some perspective from Robaato who deals with this stuff regularly

Theres also a lot of artists fishing for RTs when it comes to this and they edit somebody elses work, its pretty blatant sometimes

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone can just go back and see what you said, it's fine. You straight up said that outside of skin colour, there's no other physical racial characteristics in humans. Fuck all those people who want "black hairstyles", right? There's nothing else to say to you, you're just really misguided.
You literally do not understand that outside of skin color, race isn't physical it's cultural.

Last edited:

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
2019_06_17_LucioCapoeira.png

"Hi, ResetERA. My name is Lucio. I was born in Rio de Janeiro. I like playing hockey and football. I also love skating. And I make EDM to make my neighborhood happy, and to buff my teammates whenever I go into battle. I fight for people's freedom and autonomy, especially against the Vishkar Corporation.

"Oh yeah, I'm also not fucking whitewashed. Nepenthe didn't even color pick either. She just looked at me and threw in some purple! It was awesome!

"Anyway, I hope you all have a good day. Be Champions!"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I swear the "wait if they're black aren't they supposed to have--" crowds would have a literal aneurysm if they went to the UK and discovered that *gasp* all the POC who were born and raised there have English accents. Or wait, maybe they'd do that thing gamers do and say "wait you don't sound black." 🤔

The fanart doesn't strike me as whitewashing. It looks like they just drew the character
Download the art and download the official and use a color picker.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017

Sri Lankan here, so glad there's someone else here that understands my pain! 😭

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Official art posted by NOE
3b8a4e3cd71784cdab99abfcec9f2d4e0e68e70b_hq.jpg

dc1e479f71d3f58c34629702194a827dbc4d4328_hq.jpg

twintelle_3re_by_starsoulart-db9tvsy.jpg

creamsart_arms.png

images

60598475_590070694817613_1761580098220420166_n.jpg

images

4f7.png

b2zoygv8e7a11.jpg

I had to dodge big lewd inappropriate drawings that would have further proven the point for Twintelle.

heres marina
latest

dcmea7v-d453d29d-7f49-4643-a053-8cc3624bcaf7.png

5706dffd3dfe5b8628105deb_5cb11e4f3826170510df8678_rz.jpg

aaron-schmit-x-otuwx5jx441wp1ka6o1-1280.jpg
41-416793_paintbrush-vector-splatoon-2-splatoon-2-marina-ecchi.png
604.png

54ce48260dc353b30a50d8d9_5997137ae2b3f5590ea2a95d_320.jpg

36863895_1852491465060356_8529392848959700992_n.jpg

0a1b74653a810799108708f82dbb4923ad50bf55r1-655-480v2_hq.jpg

Heres Amara from Borderlands

1c0569ae2e91faeb48f84e0c646f04cc0906fec2.jpeg

360e66dac868187889d6430b625e290e.jpg

54732158_576676266167591_1360157811890061033_n.jpg

D396MT5XsAAdeaK.jpg

62084485_2342710232515140_5045447295775155472_n.jpg

60187909_427770254672088_6630641998158294825_n.jpg

Im going to explain this rather simply. Its Colorism. "Whitewashing is too strong of a word....." Sure fine w/e

but its absolutely
colorism thats involved. Simply put, Melanin has many different shades and palettes. We see this all the time with darker skin characters and fan art, the artist slaps on some light tan, just enough to have contrast against any white/lighter characters depicted and thats that. Its lazy, and it isn't true to the character you're trying to represent.

There is more to black skin than some lame pasty light brown or even red! Idk where the red comes from. Artist need to put more care and time into learning how to color accurate skin tones. You know how i know this isn't a "lighting" thing, because I found more art that actually properly represented the skin tones of these characters. All different styles and mediums of drawings.

Clearly it can be done but the artist has to care enough to do it.

(also so much of these arts people draw are so lewd, holy shit lol Ass and titty shots everywhere)
Excellent posts you've been doing.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
And people wonder why many POC "over react". Their skin colour is just a joke to people.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

"Hi, ResetERA. My name is Lucio. I was born in Rio de Janeiro. I like playing hockey and football. I also love skating. And I make EDM to make my neighborhood happy, and to buff my teammates whenever I go into battle. I fight for people's freedom and autonomy, especially against the Vishkar Corporation.

"Oh yeah, I'm also not fucking whitewashed. Nepenthe didn't even color pick either. She just looked at me and threw in some purple! It was awesome!

This is really well done. Loving the paint strokes.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

Wow, this is excellent!

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, if she's supposed to be black (as I said in an earlier post, I can't tell what race she is). Shouldn't she have eyes that aren't bright blue?

You CAN'T be serious.

Its like people live in a box.

Edit: Tip about life, DO NOT learn about cultures from anyone other than the people of the culture you are curious about.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did you even read the wikipedia page? They developed those hairstyles largely for cultural reasons. And again, it doesn't take away from my point that differences in race are mostly

Hair texture. I'm talking about hair texture. The kind of hair that grows on your head. Not the way you style it, but the actual hair growing out of the top of your head.
How is that so hard to understand?