• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The critics are right that her skin is lighter than the in-game art but seem to go further than necessary in shaming the artist for it. Teaching is one thing, shaming is another and too often we see the latter and not the former

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
it's actually a reoccurring issue, across many artists in many mediums depicting many subject matters
Yep. This is one of those issues that, if you don't follow any black or brown artists (or don't listen to black and brown fans), just doesn't come up often in fan art discussion because of how quickly the discussion sours when it's brought up outside of minority fan communities.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sad fact is, darkskinned people don't get potrayed enough for their to be common examples

Connor Hawke who is 1/4 black, 1/4 asian, 1/2 white
connor-lance-queen-injustice-2.jpg

xWsL7if.jpg

hawke.jpg

connor-hawke-green-arrow-3.png

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this going on around Twitter and did not know what started it, but this makes a whole lot of sense now.
Yep. This is one of those issues that, if you don't follow any black or brown artists (or don't listen to black and brown fans), just doesn't come up often in fan art discussion because of how quickly the discussion sours when it's brought up outside of minority fan communities.
Pretty much.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Whitewashing in fanart is rarely a case of the artist intentionally going out of their way to portray a character as a different race, it's usually due to internal biases about darker skin
SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

Whitewashing in fanart is rarely a case of the artist intentionally going out of their way to portray a character as a different race, it's usually due to internal biases about darker skin

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If this were official artwork I'd understand the motivation to kick up a fuss.

What's the point in screaming at some random fan-artist, though? Fans will always draw what they wanna draw, and the idea that ripping these people a new one because they didn't precisely colour-match a cartoon character's skin tone is going to achieve anything seems silly to me.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the color they used in that piece is clearly pink. There's no way around it. Brown skin doesn't turn pink.

Oct 25, 2017
i dont really understand how that skin would pass as "white" o.O

you can totally tell she is dark skinned.
It looks like a color pallette choice. I still think she looks dark skinned, not seeing how it's "white".
It's not that she looks caucasian. It's the fact that her undertones are fucked up and how this is, unfortunately, a very common thing artists do when drawing black people

SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If this were official artwork I'd understand the motivation to kick up a fuss.

What's the point in screaming at some random fan-artist, though? Fans will always draw what they wanna draw, and the idea that ripping these people a new one because they didn't precisely colour-match a cartoon character's skin tone is going to achieve anything seems silly to me.
Seems more like the one artist's artwork became springboard for a larger discussion about the importance of preserving the canonical skin tone of the character, especially when it's a complexion associated with minorities, since such characters are rare in videogames (relatively speaking), and thus it's all the more important to not alter that aspect of them. I think that's what this is about.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is how this blew up from one image and there's a ton of Nessa fanart.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a controversy that some fans are not painting her exactly like the official art?

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
God damn its fanart. The artist liked the character and decided to try their hand at it. Are people trying to gate how artists can make fanart? Does this particular artist have anything to show they are against darkskin characters?

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just feel bad for the shamed artist here. They were just excited to draw the character and suddenly it's the most controversial art piece of the month on twitter.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
One piece of fan art isn't inherently an issue.
The issue is that this is normalized across media. Because of that, we get stuff like white Call (the only Call now, since the game wasn't funded) or the Marina plush.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Then what the hell was your post about then? Cause all I see is someone trying to dismiss a racist practice as a "honest mistake"
The tweet that was posted had nothing to do with the subject of racism, it had to do with specifically criticizing their attempt at a pastel color palette. Like an earlier reply to me said, a majority of the tweets are particularly helpful in pointing out how to not screw that particular subject up.

The fact that you can extrapolate racist undercurrents from it isn't something I'm arguing against, as it's not something I disagree with, and it's well worth being educated about that. It sure as shit beats shaming one lone amateur artist as if they can't be subject to constructive critique of technique.

Artists seem to fuck up alot when it comes to this

What a strange thing to keep fucking up
Has this particular artist fucked up before? If so I'd like to see it.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I get why whitewashing sucks, but this seems way overblown for just one japanese fan-artist.

If like, a large noticeable number was doing it, sure, but over just one fan-art? Its not like its an official piece of art like that Marina plush, that was fair.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
God damn its fanart.
This is something that is very consistent about fanart involving darker skinned characters. It's important to talk about why it's an issue so that it doesn't pop up again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again every time a dark skinned character is revealed and praised and gets fanart.

Like, I get why whitewashing sucks, but
Hush

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn its fanart. The artist liked the character and decided to try their hand at it. Are people trying to gate how artists can make fanart? Does this particular artist have anything to show they are against darkskin characters?
Not that I can see. Their art style varies and they use a lot of colors, some characters they draw can have a striking orange or pink shading to their skin color, but largely pink.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Seems more like the one artist's artwork became springboard for a larger discussion about the importance of preserving the canonical skin tone of the character, especially when it's a complexion associated with minorities, since such characters are rare in videogames (relatively speaking), and thus it's all the more important to not alter that aspect of them. I think that's what this is about.

Ah okay, totally misunderstood then.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I remember there was a situation with a character from Virtua Fighter going from dark skinned to basically Spam-colored over the course of one game, and it always reminds me that these things are always deeper than people make it out to be...colorism is a very REAL thing, and shit like this is just another reminder that those of us with darker skin will rarely ever be preferred in matters of representation (amongst many other things) in comparison to anything that's closer to whiteness...

If someone creates art and puts it out there to be judged by the public, there are obviously gonna be people who will speak up on what bothers them about it. It doesn't exactly call for the defense of said work by people who clearly don't have an issue with it...

One piece of fan art isn't inherently an issue.
The issue is that this is normalized across media. Because of that, we get stuff like white Call (the only Call now, since the game wasn't funded) or the Marina plush.
^Please read and understand this post...

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pallet choice or not, intentional or not, I think the end result looks an awful lot like whitewashing. I'd expect it to be called out accordingly.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I'm far more offended by her suggestive posing given that she's likely no older than 15, but then again I know what time we live in, people will sexualize anything.

However I'm just rolling my eyes so hard at these lame ass defense attempts about color palette and whatever such bullshit. In that fan art she's a tan white girl, maybe a Latina.

Also couldn't help but crack the fuck up at "if anyone has studied art, you may have come across that name" in regard to warhol. I would say that was sarcastic but...

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
All that matters is the official character, she's perfect. People are always gonna have their own version of different characters and it will be reflected in their own artwork. Isn't that the point of individual art creation?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All that matters is the official character, she's perfect. People are always gonna have their own version of different characters and it will be reflected in their own artwork. Isn't that the point of individual art creation?
Yeah the community reaction to her has been super positive, and we haven't seen any bullshit from Nintendo regarding her like say...

hjqIcBQ.jpg

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns on racism
Who cares? The bigger issue are all the westerners hounding some artist on Twitter in a language they don't understand.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, its the beauty of art and fan art, people can interpret it in their own ways, if the artist says its not whitewashed, then its their right to say that, just like its the observers right to say it is a bit too pale in their taste. but to prove a point in how color theory and how individuals perceive color and tones is quite tricky, (purple black/white gold dress anyone?) Art is such a fluid subject and personal interpretation of subject matters is such a major aspect of it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the color they used in that piece is clearly pink. There's no way around it. Brown skin doesn't turn pink.
Well, yes. I even explored their Twitter just now, they like to use pink tone a lot across their images. It makes some of their art more pinker than others. In this case, it may be that they didn't account for the darker skin tone with their pink tones they often use in their art.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I guess I should go back to the post I did way back in the FF7 Barrett thread about skin color and photography. It's definitely relevant here as well, probably more relevant.

Has the original artist responded at all? Hell, can they even read english given that they're Japanese?

Based on at least this exchange I think they can read more than a little English.

D9HMgr8VUAEewev.jpg

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the community reaction to her has been super positive, and we haven't seen any bullshit from Nintendo regarding her like say...

hjqIcBQ.jpg
This and the Casca anime film changes are the two instances of official whitewashing that pissed me off THEE most.
Yep