• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Rebuild of Evangelion a sequel to the original series?

• Yes

Votes: 253 86.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 13.1%

• Total voters

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
So will this only be watchable in JP theaters or is a US streaming service picking this and the Rebuild films up (because it's been so long I need a ReFresher).

Oh, answered by KarmaCow. Thanks!

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Voted yes--there's already precedent with the manga.

I don't think it'll be confirmed as a sequel/reboot. My guess is it'll be framed as another world, like the "Angel Days" scenes in episode 26. With the possible exception that maybe Kaworu/Rei see or live across all realities, hence Kaworu's "this time I'll make you happy" line..

I will accept this, but a similar theory is already floating around for another popular series right now, so I'd rather it be different.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted yes--there's already precedent with the manga.

I will accept this, but a similar theory is already floating around for another popular series right now, so I'd rather it be different.

As much as I'd like that tease at the end of the manga (the final bonus chapter) to be relevant to the plot, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has admitted that he made the manga without consulting with Anno and that chapter was basically just fanon/speculation on the nature of that new character, rather than him actually knowing anything we don't.

That being said, it has been enough time since then that Anno could have been influenced by it and incorporated it into the ideas for the final movie. We will see soon enough. (hoping the rumors of a Amazon Prime Italy release a month after Japanese theater release pans out, and fansubbers can bring it to English).

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No i don't think it will. I think all the sequel stuff is just flair or metaphor and not actual plot.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Prediction:
They're going to heavily hint at it without fully confirming it and it will be SO obvious but people will still argue about it for YEARS.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
The sequel theory has been a thing since 1.0, so even though it may have been the original intention Anno might do something else just to screw with people.

This is where I'm at, I've been on Team Sequel since 1.0 and I think the only way it is not a sequel it's because Anno wanta to scree with people one last (more?) time

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm inclined to say yes, but this is Anno who we are talking about. Guy likely flip-flopped about this like a hundred times over the last decade.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Bye-bye all of Evangelion? The last Rebuild film was originally scheduled to release in 2008, and Anno had been said to have been working on them (in some capacity) since 2002! This is the longest goodbye I've ever seen.

On topic, I stand by sequel theory being real, and also believe it will not be confirmed, or at all referenced in this final film. I think 3.0 shows we're far past the point of things mattering or making sense; even for this franchise.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Let me help ya out! So in late 2000's Anno started releasing movie versions of Eva designated as the "Rebuild of Evangelion" for...reasons. The first movie that came out was called 1.0 when it released to theaters, and then 1.11 when released to home video containing "graphical updates" like better lighting or coloring. The first movie was the first couple episodes of the series in movie form with some slight differences.

A year or two later 2.0 comes out continuing the story from 1.0 with some more differences along the way, and released on home video as 2.22.

Then the third one came in 2012, 3.0, and without spoiling anything, Anno takes the story where people didn't expect it to go. In a very big way. Released on home video as 3.33.

now the last one of the rebuild series "3.0+1.0" comes out Monday, hopefully to answer some questions the rebuild series brought up. Why called that name instead of 4.0? No one knows.
Is it worth watching? Can I stream it anywhere?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm voting no because I think he's going to want to subvert expectations and I read something (probably on here) that it's more likely that it's a looping story but it's not looping with the TV show, it's looping with itself.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I honestly didn't realise there was anyone out there who didn't think it was a sequel. I didn't think it was a theory.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I honestly didn't realise there was anyone out there who didn't think it was a sequel. I didn't think it was a theory.

Same boat. I thought it was basically confirmed that's exactly what was going on? Have they not actually explicitly said that to be the case? That makes the manga ending and most of 3.0 make a lot less sense if it's not a sequel/time loop thingy going on.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
The first 2 rebuild movies already gave enough clues tbh. More a question how well they'll pull it off.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Yes, watch End of Evangelion on Netflix before looking up anything Eva related.
End of Evangelion is the ending of the series and its characters while the TV show goes more abstract as an ending
You HAVE to watch End of Evangelion. Post afterwards.
The TV ending is the more controversial one because it just stops the whole narrative and decides to perform therapy on the characters haha that didn't sit well with many (the fools!)

But fear not, End of Evangelion is SOME SHIT that ties into the TV ending neatly.

Watch it and post immediately after

So I finally watched End of Evangelion.

What the fuck was that? It felt like people bitched so much about the original ending that the writer(s?) said "fine" and wrote the most edgy ending they could find, cobbled together by fan-wank 90s internet message boards. There was some good stuff in there, but yeesh. I wasn't much a fan of it.

I far prefer the show ending. It was weird, but it felt more in line with the trajectory of the show.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck was that? It felt like people bitched so much about the original ending that the writer(s?) said "fine" and wrote the most edgy ending they could find, cobbled together by fan-wank 90s internet message boards. There was some good stuff in there, but yeesh. I wasn't much a fan of it.

I far prefer the show ending. It was weird, but it felt more in line with the trajectory of the show.
The first half of EoE was based on the original storyboards for episode 25 (if you rewatch episode 25, you can even see some movie scenes referenced there), although the second half was original.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
The first half of EoE was based on the original storyboards for episode 25 (if you rewatch episode 25, you can even see some movie scenes referenced there), although the second half was original.

That does make some sense. The first episode of EoE seemed more in-line with where I thought things were going. It's the second part where things went sideways for me.
Maybe my distaste for the back half comes from not fully understanding what was going on. Going to read up on it a bit and hopefully revisit it later.

Oct 25, 2017
EoE admittedly is a lot to take in. But to put it very simply:

The ancient organization Seele wanted to eliminate human suffering caused by the divisions and misunderstanding between people. They essentially wanted to make the ultimate "tower of babel" so that perfect understanding and harmony would be achieved. Their twisted way of interpreting how to do that was to return all Earth life to its original state, that of a single composite soul, and an amorphous goop of primordial ooze. With everyone's souls merged, logically there would be no war, death, or sadness.

They maneuvered events such that Shinji became the trigger for this by pushing him to a point of absolute despair, which lead him to wanting himself and the world to die. This was interpreted quite literally by the catalyst for this process, the ascended and merged form of Rei and Kaworu (in other words, Lilith and Adam, the origin of human and Angel life respectively, as Misato explained in the movie), and so they fell right into the plan Seele set up.

Everyone was made into one, and during the transitional phase something between madness and pure bliss was felt in this state, hence all the creepy sexual imagery. Shinji eventually realized that a world without divisions between people was meaningless, as without others, the self cannot know joy, or sorrow, or anything at all except its own infinite being and nothing else. What is there to strive for in a world without strife? What joy can be found if you are the sole existence in your universe? (these revelations happen in, and are more deeply explored in EoTV, which many theorize happens in the middle of EoE, including myself)

Thankfully, because of the extreme long shot gamble Yui Ikari (Shinji's mother) made shortly after he was born, Shinji was able to change instrumentality even after it had been forced upon the world. Yui is implied in the flashback episode to be related to Seele in some way iirc, and likewise we can surmise she knew of their intentions. So she made sure to be the one to transfer her soul into Unit 01, since she knew it would be used as an important key in instrumentality.

This, along with Rei and Kaworu's own desire to let Shinji have a choice in the world that would come, allowed him to undo some of the damage he had done. Namely, by allowing a "backdoor" out of instrumentality, if anyone felt the same pointless ness of existence as part of the composite soul of humanity, and wanted to return to the physical and mortal world again, they were given the option to do so.

The final scene takes a lot of thought to wrap one's head around, and it certainly flies a bit in the face of the somewhat positive ending just before it where Shinji accepts the pain of living for the chance of experiencing its joy as well. Suffice to say that things won't be easy from here on, but the possibility exists for life to get better, and humans now have the choice between immortality as a single unchanging being, and to live as they were if they want.

Yes, I realize how silly it is to say that that is putting it briefly, but it is haha. I also realize that this explanation may still make very little sense and/or not change your mind on the ending. I'm just a humble fan putting forward the most commonly held interpretation of it all.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That does make some sense. The first episode of EoE seemed more in-line with where I thought things were going. It's the second part where things went sideways for me.
Maybe my distaste for the back half comes from not fully understanding what was going on. Going to read up on it a bit and hopefully revisit it later.
The second half is telling the same story as the tv ending, it's just showing Third Impact on the outside while the tv ending shows how it's playing out in the characters' heads.

On my last rewatch I actually came away, for the first time, preferring the TV ending to EoE. Even though they're getting at the same thing, the tv ending feels more measured (Shinji unsure of his worth and whether there's a place for him in the world vs. Shinji despising himself and ordering everyone to die as he dies) and optimistic. Even though the outcome is the same, the tv ending feels like growth, like Shinji worked to come to a realization about himself, while the end of EoE almost feels like resignation (and because the lead-up is so much bleaker, Shinji's turn at the end feels abrupt). I think the biggest difference though is that because the tv ending gives you so much time in Shinji's head you get to hear him work through his shit. Whereas in EoE, Shinji is not really much a player at all; he's catatonic for the first half, spends most of the second half screaming, and then his head trip doesn't last for much more than 5 mins. Like he just doesn't do anything for the movie.

I love EoE but the tv ending feels like a more complete conclusion to the journey imo.

Oct 25, 2017
The second half is telling the same story as the tv ending, it's just showing Third Impact on the outside while the tv ending shows how it's playing out in the characters' heads.

On my last rewatch I actually came away, for the first time, preferring the TV ending to EoE. Even though they're getting at the same thing, the tv ending feels more measured (Shinji unsure of his worth and whether there's a place for him in the world vs. Shinji despising himself and ordering everyone to die as he dies) and optimistic. Even though the outcome is the same, the tv ending feels like growth, like Shinji worked to come to a realization about himself, while the end of EoE almost feels like resignation (and because the lead-up is so much bleaker, Shinji's turn at the end feels abrupt). I think the biggest difference though is that because the tv ending gives you so much time in Shinji's head you get to hear him work through his shit. Whereas in EoE, Shinji is not really much a player at all; he's catatonic for the first half, spends most of the second half screaming, and then his head trip doesn't last for much more than 5 mins. Like he just doesn't do anything for the movie.

I love EoE but the tv ending feels like a more complete conclusion to the journey imo.

This is why putting them together is best hehe. There are versions of this concept that exist, such as Concurrency of Evangelion although I haven't watched that one since my brother and I've made our own and I don't want to unduly influence myself with another interpretation before I can release ours.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
90bbcf982b70c6de7758cba18d06fe590e922693_hq.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Has it really been nearly a decade since that last one came out? Man, where did the time go? And it's gonna be awhile for the subs (fansubs at least are out).

Did Funimantions release the Rebuild include original special features or just either their own crap or barebones editions?

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be fucking awful trying to dodge spoilers of this for the eternity it will take for us to get a western release.

As for the theory. I don't see how you have lines like this and not have it be a sequel.

YpuQ34X.gif
Definitely. I've said it before, IMO Rebuild is where the whole trend of — "It's a 'remake'... lol no, it's actually a sequel — surprise motherfuckers" trend actually started. We'll have to see exactly how that plays out and if they want to explicitly **confirm** it though...

Having just finished the rebuild movies last night, there's no way they're going to answer any of the open-questions. I'm expecting a truckload of more questions to come out of this movie.
...because tbh this is the only thing I'm truly expecting — a buttload off new questions and maybe even some multiverse shenanigans or some shit so they can keep the franchise going.

I'm preparing myself for that mentally and so anything above it will be a plus to me.

Last edited:

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure the exact way it's going to be explained is still a mystery, but i thought this was well beyond being a theory at this point

Jabronium

Oct 26, 2017
So no additional delay then to accommodate the extended state of emergency? I spent way too much time on evageeks prepping for this.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers are starting to go out, someone make the thread.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
It won't be bye bye unless you're Japanese. The previous films took like years to cross over.