• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Ehhhh, I'm not feeling it. It completely loses the lush tones of the original in favor of something unnecessarily harder. The Skin Diary one posted above is so much better.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Damn, that's an awesome cover! Not everything has to have the same vocals of the original.

It really reminds me Screaming Females cover of "If it Makes You Happy"

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
The vocals feel jarring with that rather faithful arrangement. It would work better if they had made a completely new arrangement that suited the new vocals better. Now it feels like a karaoke singer that is trying too hard.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Cyrus has done some excellent covers over the years, but this is definitely not one of'em.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this a lot over the past couple of days while my wife is scrolling through TikTok. Seems like it's blowing up on there. Same with Dreams by Fleetwood Mac.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I like that it has a sort of dirt rough sound to it.

It's interesting, it's very Janis Joplin like.

The audio only version shared later in the thread is way better quality and does the cover more justice

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I dont mind people enjoying themselves with covers, but I would rather listen to the original in this case. She doesnt add anything to it and just makes it more in her wheel house of over doing it.

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of weird covers that really work I love Springsteen's cover of Stayin' Alive. He was in the Gibbs' hometown and they threw this together on the day with multiple guitar solos (including one by Tom Morello), strings, horns and just about everything else. It's really different from the disco version, but at least for me it really works.

I love watching the one Asian lady in the strings who's behind Bruce in the center shot, she's got this "holy shit, can you believe what we're doing" smile for much of the song...

www.youtube.com

Bruce Springsteen - "Stayin' Alive" (Brisbane, 02/26/14)

Thom Zimny's re-edit and Chris Lord-Alge's re-mix of "Stayin' Alive" from our last night in Brisbane!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'd think Blondie's Hanging on the Telephone is more her wheelhouse. Harry can go hard, punk or pretty her voice is ridiculous.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
She's a performer. I'm not really a fan of her music, but she's not bad. This particular cover is all right, but it doesn't necessarily feel like it knows what it wants to be.

I thought this one was fun. Again, the performance is not bad, but I especially like that the crowd was not into it at all at first but she really sells it to them over the course of the song.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it that much, way too "screamy" for me.
But I mean, Miley Cyrus is a good performer IMO

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
She's a performer. I'm not really a fan of her music, but she's not bad. This particular cover is all right, but it doesn't necessarily feel like it knows what it wants to be.

I thought this one was fun. Again, the performance is not bad, but I especially like that the crowd was not into it at all at first but she really sells it to them over the course of the song.

yeah this one was surprisingly really good.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's truly horrible. She sings it with no nuance or subtlety, a foghorn blaring where Debbie Harry actually made it sound sexy. And Miley can sing! Subtlety may not be her trademark, but she can do better than this.
I hate it.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
I think there are parts of this that sound nice. It's not fantastic, but I like it enough. Obviously nowhere near as good as the original, but that's a tough bar to clear.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017

Now this one is really good. The Blondie cover.....not so much.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Decent cover, different energy than the original which I think would've translated better with an actual live crowd. To those saying it's putrid and awful, you've clearly never had the displeasure of seeing Fall Out Boy cover Queen live as I have.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Oof, sorry but that was objectively awful. Cyrus has none of the understated subtlety of Debbie Harry, she shouts where the original was almost spoken, gentle. She completely destroys the melody. The band here sound like a typical house band, throwaway, generic, Blondie were tight, distinctive, spiky, angular. As for Cyrus herself, she could learn a lot from Debbie Harry's sexy as hell but not in your face appearance.

Soooo you would prefer a cover of Heart of Glass done by Debbie Harry then

_RT_

Oct 31, 2017
People are either all in or all out with Miley. There is no middle road.
Personally love her style and voice.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
I actually like a lot of the things Miley has been doing but not this. A straight cover with no new arrangements, texture... and it just doesn't work as well without Debbie Harry's crystalline voice, even if I like Miley's in other stuff. Don't love it to be honest.