• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Like all things in this world, it depends on context.

Sometimes is funny, sometimes is not.

The illuminati one felt very forced to me, but taser face was awesome.
The whole dr strange and peter talking on the spaceship was cool too.

Hope they nail the next ones they do.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Some work, some don't, same as any other sort of joke. The "made up names" dialogue in Infinity War is pretty good, because it's an earnest miscommunication between a prickly character and a friendly character. Peter isn't trying to make a joke, he legitimately thinks "Dr. Strange" is a pseudonym, because it sounds like one.

But the Doc Ock one in No Way Home is the sort of lazy, predictable joke we've heard a hundred times in superhero media. The fact his real name is "Otto Octavius" is already funny, by calling it out you're just showing a lack of confidence that your audience will understand that the silly thing is in fact silly.
Yup, this.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
I don't think that something being made for children means we shouldn't talk about it.

Like yeah, Star Wars and MCU are absolutely movies for children but movies for children can also be good lol. I think speaking about these movies with this kind of dismissive tone is pretty condescending.
I should have clarified that I didn't mean movies aimed at children should get away with poor writing when it comes to themes, plot, character development, etc. Moreso that they can get away with repetitive jokes - I think kids like them and don't get burnt out on them as quickly.

*Edit - I also think this kind of joke is inherently pandering to kids who didn't grow up with comic characters who had campy names and didn't always have some degree of self-awareness.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Who cares. Sometimes it's kinda dumb, sometimes it's fine. Either way it's over and done with in five seconds.

Blackagar Boltagon is factually and objectively the dumbest name I've ever heard, surely an actual joke by Lee and Kirby that accidentally stuck, and a name that is contractually obligated to be ridiculed whenever spoken out loud.
Not much, what's RRR with you?

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I don't think that something being made for children means we shouldn't talk about it.

Like yeah, Star Wars and MCU are absolutely movies for children but movies for children can also be good lol. I think speaking about these movies with this kind of dismissive tone is pretty condescending.

But they aren't bad movies. They don't have dismissive tones either. They only acknowledge the fact that a lot of the superhero stuff is pretty silly and that you really shouldn't take it seriously.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
this is a huge issue that needs to be resolved as soon as possible if the MCU is to survive

just kidding, i cant believe someone took the time to edit those clips together and make a tweet out of it, much less cares. also, the "oh, we're using made up names" scene is fucking great. how dare someone try to denigrate Peter!

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It's one thing on a laundry list of occasional and sometimes repetitive little annoyances in MCU films that dampen my experience but I still enjoy the MCU for the most part despite these. The idea that people didn't notice this prior to YouTube videos etc is a bit dumb, most of the time things like these don't get mentioned because it gets people's backs up. Same with any major geek property tbf

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I don't really hate it but I do wish they'd more earnestly embrace the goofy/silly stuff from the comics rather than try and lampshade all the silly shit by drawing attention to how silly it is. It just makes them seem embarrassed of it and like they have to apologise for how daft it is.

Again though this is like 5 seconds out of a 2 hour movie and it's not done in every movie.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Someone: I kind of feel like this one little aspect of the MCU isn't that enjoyable.
MCU people: [Panting, out of breath from sprinting over] I don't know. Seems fine to me.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. It's kind of a weird thing to be hung up on. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. Sounds like you're thinking too hard and you're the problem. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Someone: I kind of feel like this one little aspect of the MCU isn't that enjoyable.
MCU people: [Panting, out of breath from sprinting over] I don't know. Seems fine to me.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. It's kind of a weird thing to be hung up on. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. Sounds like you're thinking too hard and you're the problem. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

As long as you get to feel superior. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Haha, it certainly can seem that way sometimes

CBZ

Jul 2, 2022
So I haven't watched most of the recent Marvel films, not out of disliking them but because I just haven't had the time to get around to them - lots of media that interests me has released in recent years and the Marvel stuff just keeps getting pushed up the back catalog - but I never really found these to be that much of a problem? I think the reason these types of jokes are done isn't because the people involved hate the source material, but just because the people on board found them funny, it shouldn't be this difficult. I'm personally more fond of when these jokes have a payoff (see: Taserface going from a lame joke to suddenly becoming a plot point in Guardians Vol. 2) but these short quippy ones are fine too, you only really notice them when they're compiled in a video like this.

I also think they're done because, well, they give people who might not be as into the source material something to laugh at. The MCU has made comic history more mainstream than it was in years prior but there are still plenty of outsiders who might not get the appeal, so doing the occasional self-aware quip can get those types of audiences on board. No problem with that as long as they're not done during a climactic scene or get in the way of pacing, which has been done and can get in the way of the scene, I agree completely with that.

As for "not being able to criticize children's movies", my position is that, well, I can't; but not because they're inherently a lesser form of media or something like that, they're just as valid as others. Instead, it's tough for me to come to a conclusion because kids - just like us - enjoy different types of media. What one kid might dislike might be what another kid enjoys - some might like sincere and honest media, others might like media that doesn't take itself remotely seriously, and that's fine. On the scale of film criticism, this self-aware attitude is nowhere *near* as important to discuss and criticize as genuinely offensive material, though this is just my opinion.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Combination of that and the "let's take a moment to make funny of how the comic-costume looks" kind of gets old.

Though it honestly just gets an eye roll out of me at this point.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
But they aren't bad movies. They don't have dismissive tones either. They only acknowledge the fact that a lot of the superhero stuff is pretty silly and that you really shouldn't take it seriously.

I'm a huge animation fan. I love animated movies and love to talk about them. And it always bums me out to hear that kind of rhetoric there as well. "don't take it too seriously" "it's for kids" etc.

Unless someone was saying it in a particularly rude way, It's good to criticize media. That usually means you care and want it to be better (again as long as it's done in a non-toxic way ofc!)

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017

this is a stupid post....but at least your high horse did your sprinting for you

CBZ

Jul 2, 2022
I'm a huge animation fan. I love animated movies and love to talk about them. And it always bums me out to hear that kind of rhetoric there as well. "don't take it too seriously" "it's for kids" etc.

Unless someone was saying it in a particularly rude way, It's good to criticize media. That usually means you care and want it to be better (again as long as it's done in a non-toxic way ofc!)

Completely agreed; I like plenty of animated stuff, from the lowbrow to the surprisingly sincere, and I'm well out of the target demographic.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
sure if you're watching things cut into like 1 minute from across like 10 years and dozens of movies yea the joke is dumb. i could see that.

thankfully thats not how we watch movies.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Sure, I agree with you. But sometimes it isn't even toxic. Just take a look at the thread, and people saying that this basically means they're bad movies or that it makes them unwatchable. That kind of hyperbole isn't even toxic, it's, honestly, just dumb and it comes from taking these things too seriously. It's not that big of a deal, it can be better, all you want, but in the large scale of things, it's such a non-issue. I legitimaly don't get how someone could feel insulted by jokes like this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. All the characters understanding that all their names are dumb kind of works for me. Seems like a silly thing to be upset over.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

LOL. It do feel like that.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Sure, I agree with you. But sometimes it isn't even toxic. Just take a look at the thread, and people saying that this basically means they're bad movies or that it makes them unwatchable. That kind of hyperbole isn't even toxic, it's, honestly, just dumb and it comes from taking these things too seriously. It's not that big of a deal, it can be better, all you want, but in the large scale of things, it's such a non-issue. I legitimaly don't get how someone could feel insulted by jokes like this.

My serious opinion about the "MCU joke" debacle is that I don't mind it here and there but dislike how prevalent it's become.

I *personally* take great issue in the homogenization of any medium/industry. E.G. it's why i'm so annoyed by battle passes and the Ubisoftication of games. Not because of a specific instance but because I can't get away from it. It's just everywhere. Screw that noise. I'm on this planet for a certain number of years and I'd rather not see the same stuff over and over if I can help it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
9sNxTcg.jpg

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has its hits and misses.

I don't really see how Flag Smashers is that weird of a name for example. Sounds like something a marketing board would come up with.