• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Dude, 31 here with a 6 year old, 3 year old and a 5 month old. My wife works weekends at the hospital...night shift...I got time for jack shit during the day.

And yeah, 3 is absolutely worse. Buckle up peeps lmao.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going through data at work and there's a significant amount of people who want to return to the office, which shocked me. I guess there are a lot of people that feel like you, that's been exacerbated by the pandemic.

Shout out to parents.
I don't ask other parents at my job but my daughter has been out of daycare since the lockdowns started happening and she's been home since. I imagine any other parent in my position is really struggling with having to work and parent in an environment you can't realistically leave except for some walks to get some air. Can't go out to do shit if you want to be sensible(as my daughter has asthma I take 0 chances). It's fucking draining.

I often think about being into the office would be so nice just to get a break from it all. I have 0 personal space and it's been that way since March.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You've got to go all-in on the sunk cost fallacy, man. Just tell yourself, "All the time and pain will be worth it when he cures cancer."

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I dealt with my son with silence. The more he cries the more me and my wife ignore him and won't get what he wants until he stops. It requires absurd amount of patience and I'm glad I stuck with the plan because he eventually learnt.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, 31 here with a 6 year old, 3 year old and a 5 month old. My wife works weekends at the hospital...night shift...I got time for jack shit during the day.

And yeah, 3 is absolutely worse. Buckle up peeps lmao.
Weird. We are the same people. Age, kids ages, Though my wife hasn't gone back to the hospital yet and we have a one month old.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I get it OP. I have 3 kids ages 7, 4 and 1. I love them more than anything, but they can drive me absolutely insane.

Acknowledging your struggle means you care about them deeply.

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter is 18 months old. She's the best. Sometimes she's exhausting and her nap time during the weekends is always something we cherish, but she's still the best thing to ever happen to me. I know it'll get tougher, too, but we'll manage

sigh....I realize that I sound like a dirtbag. But I can be PC, or I can be honest. I have to be honest. If you don't have children, I would suggest you lucky bastards to wrap it up and take your pills. I
When you're on the other end of this, do you think you'll still be saying this to people? Have some perspective

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Kids generate the most conflicting feelings

When I'm with my kids all day, I can't wait for the day to end and have some me time.

When we're each into bed, I wish they were still with me to cuddle up and laugh

For me I think the issue comes from how scheduled a day with kids 'needs' to be. I don't take enough pleasure during the day because I'm just focusing on what we have to do next, make food, homework, grocery shopping, put them to nap etc. And that makes the day stressful.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel you OP. I used to absolutely dread the weekends when my kid was 2. I could not wait for it to be 6pm so their night time routine would start. I was terrible in that regard. But I also loved them and gave them attention. I could finally feel like I could breathe after 7pm. There's nothing to say really other than it will come to pass. What really helped was both our kids are fully sleep trained. In bed by 7. I had the rest of the evening to myself. This helped me kept my sanity. Even now my kids are 6 and 4 but they went to bed by 7:30. I just watched Netflix and played some videogames.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Girlfriend has two kids. the 3 year old almost 4 year old is a nightmare, and the 5 year old is a treasure. All in all, I know it's worth it, but I'm glad I only have to deal with them in the periphery. They're little angels for me, but I'm not the one picking up the messes.

Oct 25, 2017
I was the primary caretaker for my children who are 1.5 years apart until they started school. That means I spent all day every day with them for over 6 years (for awhile I worked the weekends).

Yeah, admittedly you do sound a bit like a dirt bag if you can't spend one day with your children without whining like them.

As a man, I especially get super annoyed at other men's lack of responsibility when it comes to children. Reading a lot of this thread feels embarrassing to me.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
If you live in a landed house and have a small backyard, buy a medium-sized portable swimming pool (obviously when Covid ends it'll be easier to just bring your kids to a public swimming pool). Playing in water will tire kids more easily.

Another thing to try is to invent or modify some games so your kids move a lot, but you don't move as much. My son currently loves 'dodgeball', as in I just stand in one spot and pelt him with soft rubber balls while he runs around trying to dodge the balls.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3 CAN be dreadful but I wouldnt necessarily say its bad for every kid. It was very challenging for our firstborn. The second one however was an absolute delight in this age. Just a bundle of cuddles and joys.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm not a parent, but I've got some nieces and nephews all under 7. I love them all ... but yeah. I feel you, OP. After about an hour with them, I'm fully checked out and ready to be done with them so I can head back home to go about my day again.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have kids, but I've always imagined that some stretch of raising kids has got to be just terrible and I appreciate when people are honest about it.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
It's brutal. I have a 3 year old and she is very strong willed and wants to do what she wants to do. The weekends can be hard but the weekdays are harder, between juggling work and home responsibilities as well as her needs. Then work again when she goes to bed. It's rough, hang in there. I'm told it gets better. Don't beat yourself up too much

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Mostly I worry about the normalization of wine mom "we all hate being with our kids right? lol" talk because it ends up covering up real struggles. I didn't hate being with my toddler. Some days I went to bed more tired than others but I didn't dread being with her for a full day. And I don't think we should treat that as normal. We should support parents who feel that way and help them!

Some people feel like that give up their personhood when they become parents and need some support getting a little time back with friends or hobbies to feel like themselves again. Some people need a little quiet space to recover themselves. A lot of people would probably benefit from a psych eval and talking with a therapist -- ppd ain't just for women.

I used to be in parenting groups online and I quit all of them because of this toxic reinforcement of the mindset of Parenting Is Suffering So We Must Suffer The Most (And Drink Wine). I genuinely don't want parents to feel like they have to fear a day with their child, even during high demand, high challenge developmental phases.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
My son is almost 3 now. I get it. Especially in this time where outside of going for a walk there's very little we allow ourselves to do when it comes to activities away from home, which makes me worried as he's at an age where he should learn to socialize with other kids.

I'm twice as tired on weekends, sleep is significantly worse (and it's not even the kid's fault, it's stress I guess). A single grandparent being there and not enough money for daycare makes things a bit rough. But still cherish every moment and wouldn't have it any other way.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
My youngest will be 3 in December and goddamn she is a handful lol. My 9 year old was always so mellow and chill and she is the exact opposite.

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly I worry about the normalization of wine mom "we all hate being with our kids right? lol" talk because it ends up covering up real struggles. I didn't hate being with my toddler. Some days I went to bed more tired than others but I didn't dread being with her for a full day. And I don't think we should treat that as normal. We should support parents who feel that way and help them!

Some people feel like that give up their personhood when they become parents and need some support getting a little time back with friends or hobbies to feel like themselves again. Some people need a little quiet space to recover themselves. A lot of people would probably benefit from a psych eval and talking with a therapist -- ppd ain't just for women.

I used to be in parenting groups online and I quit all of them because of this toxic reinforcement of the mindset of Parenting Is Suffering So We Must Suffer The Most (And Drink Wine). I genuinely don't want parents to feel like they have to fear a day with their child, even during high demand, high challenge developmental phases.

I find pretty much nothing more frustrating than listening to parents who act like their children are some huge burden. Like, get over yourself and just spend time with them. They can be awesome people if you actually try.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
My daughter wasn't so bad at 2 but we only had the one and every kid is different. You're just a tired parent. We all want our little monsters to vanish for just a moment.

Still, I'm really enjoying her being 10 yrs old now. So much easier now that she can take care of herself and I don't need to stress over her as much as I used too. Hang in there buddy.

Oct 28, 2017
As others have said, all kids are different.

My war story is that I have an almost 3 year old who wont sleep through the night since we converted her to a "big girl bed" and flips out if she wakes up and doesn't see me or my wife sitting there next to her bed. We've tried all sorts of things. Reward calendars where she earns toys, tough love where we put her back and let her cry it out. But now that it's fall again, we can't just let her cry it out, because my wife is a school teacher and has to get up early. My work schedule is much more flexible, so that means I'm on deck for nights. I literally haven't slept through the night more than a hand full of nights for around a year...

On the flip side? Daytimes are an absolute dream. She's full of energy obviously, but is super super fun. She tells jokes, loves to dance. I love playing pretend with her, and with action figures (she actually loves the pink power ranger which makes me want to weep with joy). And when she loses energy, even requests that I sit on the couch and play Mario with her ("dada, save peach").

So different strokes for all kids.

Jan 18, 2018
Teach him how to use an iPad. Pull up Youtube.com. Boom. You just platinum trophied parenting. You're welcome.
Babies raised by an algorithm.
Please no
I find pretty much nothing more frustrating than listening to parents who act like their children are some huge burden. Like, get over yourself and just spend time with them. They can be awesome people if you actually try.
Yeah, they ain't ask to be here lmao. But people get tired and I get that but still. Fuck yo weekend, blame capitalism for taking your time not your kids.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Obviously I love him and enjoy spending time together like going to the park and doing learning exercises. But all fucking day? I mean, these little shits get so whiny about every little thing and they never, ever, ever tire. Ever. And yes, I realize their brains are nowhere near fully-developed and I'm being absolutely unfair. But goddamn are they self-centered and whiny. Whine when it's time to put clothes on; whine when it's time to take clothes off; whine when it's time to take a nap; whine when they wake up. Meanwhile this kid has it good. You can have some more water just use your words man!

sigh....I realize that I sound like a dirtbag. But I can be PC, or I can be honest. I have to be honest. If you don't have children, I would suggest you lucky bastards to wrap it up and take your pills. If you've somehow found yourself like me trying to keep a newborn and a 22-month old hobgoblin happy and relatively safe for 48+ hours.....I understand. You may not want to say it but please know that I know.

I'm over here laughing because I also have a 2-year old and I can 100% relate. I bet you're not 42 trying to chase a toddler around the house. He has so much energy and I ... do not.

Only advice I have is to try to redirect the whining and make it fun for the kid, and try to make them think it's their idea.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I have a 2 and a half year old, and we just adopted a 6 month old lab mix. Quiet weekends don't exist for me anymore. After 10pm maybe if we're lucky.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm here to rep the 2's ain't shit, wait until the 3's.

A two year old is basic ass Frieza. They're annoying and bad but isn't no big deal.

A three year old is when they decide they are perfect Frieza. They do all the stuff from the twos BUT they are now more powerful. They have more awareness of things. They're now smarter. And the worst part? They no longer nap so the late hours of the evening they evolve into Golden Frieza and unleash the full onslaught.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I don't have children and I feel pretty happy with my choice. Unfortunately I work with children as part of my job. But at least they do leave at some point.

Oct 28, 2017

A two year old is basic ass Frieza. They're annoying and bad but isn't no big deal.

A three year old is when they decide they are perfect Frieza. They do all the stuff from the twos BUT they are now more powerful. They have more awareness of things. They're now smarter. And the worst part? They no longer nap so the late hours of the evening they evolve into Golden Frieza and unleash the full onslaught.
Thank you for taking the the time to explain this in Dragon Ball power levels so I could understand it!

necrolysis

Prophet of Truth
Jul 25, 2018
I've been the primary caretaker for my 28 month old since we brought him home from the hospital. For the past 2 years, my day has been a flurry of feeding, changing, cleaning, and weaving doctor's appointments and daily in-home therapists' visits into the mix (he has Down Syndrome). Now, I also have my 9 year old home schooling virtually and my wife home working as well. It's exhausting, and me-time is non-existant, but I know when my little dude gets older, I'm going to miss this time where I spent every waking moment with him.

I get where you're coming from, it's definitely stressful, a grind, and it seriously tries the patience, but damn do I love being Dad, no matter what my kids' tempers throw at me lol.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018

This is slaying me 🤣

Oct 28, 2017
Teach him how to use an iPad. Pull up Youtube.com. Boom. You just platinum trophied parenting. You're welcome.
I assume you're joking. But absolutely not lol.

I'll let my 3 year old watch Paw Patrol or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on an official app (Nick or Disney+) when I need a break or to make a meal for her, but in no way would I let a little kid anywhere near YouTube and whatever random shit its serving up. I've actually had to train the grandparents not to load up YouTube, because you never know what kiddy stuff is going to be laced with something insidious.

One time I was watching some Sonic gameplay with my daughter because she likes Knuckles. And someone had spliced anti-semitic shit into it Fight Club style. YouTube is a parental cesspool.

starcourt84

Aug 4, 2019
omg I love this thread. My son is 9 and it wasn't until he was around 8 that he really started taking an interest into the things I like. This year we started to be able to play and enjoy video games together, watch studio Ghibli movies together, binge Karate Kid movies and Cobra Kai etc.

So yeah, your life now will be the same for around another 10 years give or take XD

OP
OP
Gaf Zombie

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017

tenor.gif

I'm gonna sit here and bitch because it's after 7 and it's my time dammit

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely glad I don't have kids right now. I can't imagine spending my weekends dealing with kids running around screaming all day.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
It's wild at 3 bro, but my son's personality really came though at that age too. So it's not all bad. Enjoy it when they're this small.

Oct 25, 2017
I should add.... I'm terrified of having a second kid. We're doing well with one, but throw in a baby once she's 3 or 4? Fuuuuck, I'm not sure I could do it. I love the idea of having two kids grown and my daughter having a sibling, but... fuck. Going to two kids sounds exponentially harder.

Only advice I have is to try to redirect the whining and make it fun for the kid, and try to make them think it's their idea.
Go on. I definitely try to redirect the whining (failing that, calmly explaining why thing A can't happen because of thing B, which normally works after some persistence), but what do you mean by making them think it's their idea? What's the "it"?