• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
snake

vaping platypus was the manager of a mildly successful tuna packaging plant. one day when many of the employees were on lunch, a piston smashed through the conveyor belt, causing heaps of tuna to spill out onto the warehouse floor. vaping platypus took it upon herself to remove the tuna, but there was simply too much spillage for her and her meager bucket & mop. thats when she she had her epiphany, the world is chaotic, and even nature yield the most unpredictable of situations, the most obvious example being the platypus. it was on that day that she left the tuna plant forever, in a trail of smoke that dissipated less like actual smoke, but more similar to vapor.

snake, you ended the suffering of this girl so that her memory of tuna spillage can finally end.
That's a really sad story.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing about the B&B squad was that amazing Drebin Sob Story generator that people made, that let you put a bunch of mad lib words into it and get a stupid, but completely legit sounding variation of their backstory exposition dumps.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Such a forgettable group of bosses. The first three games are full of iconic boss battles featuring not just great mechanics but also great characterisation. Then MGS4 arrives with these turds.

One of the many questionable design choices throughout the game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, do you mean women don't sneak keycards in their vaginas on the regular?

Lol yeah but that's so tame compared her MGS4 stuff. It's been talked to death about but that fucking relationship between her and Sasaki that just comes on abruptly at the end of the game. It's so bad. ITS SO BAD.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being super disappointed with all four of the boss fights. I shame because they easily have the best visual design out of any of the MGS boss fights. I remember the cutscene introducing them being pretty terrifying for a MGS game. Then...the rest of the game happens lmao.

VulcanRaven

alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): dismissive behaviour towards sexist objectification
God bless Kojima lol

b&b unit and Quiet are some of my favorite characters/moments in gaming

hope to see that same style in Death Stranding!

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
A lot has changed in the last 10 years. Your sarcasm has completely missed the mark here.

I'm pretty confident that if you went and trawled through the countless MGS4 threads from GAF (which was a very progressive website in 2008, arguably the most progressive) that you'd find very little to no negative discourse regarding the BATB Units. MGS4 won GOTY twice there, which says a lot. Irrespective of what that community is now, it was progressive back then, in 2008.

So yes. It's very easy and different to say this now, in 2019, vs 2008.

Metroid Other M was released only 2 years later and got shit all over it over Samus' depiction.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
It's a concept that isn't necessarily terrible on paper, it was just executed terribly. Man they were good boss fights though. Laughing Octopus especially.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
They even had fake stockings. That man is a really backward from the gender equality standpoint.

Okay, that's an actual plot point with bad shit happening though. It's ok to have traumatic shit like that. Stories can include sexual assault plot points. Paz wasn't sexualized at all there. Ground Zeroes was really really dark.

Not remotely comparable to Kojima's sexualization problem with stuff like BB Unit and Quiet.
But for Kojima rape and bombs in vagina are just "something bad that happens to women".

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
MGS4 is genuinely the low point of the series. Just the worst.
Edit: oh God I just remembered the Meryl Johnny romance

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
mgs4_beautybeast_bed.gif

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima IS a sexist and misogynist.
And he gets a free pass from his fans.

Imagine any other creator doing the sexist shit he has pulled off, he would be shunned immediately.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): dismissive behaviour towards sexist objectification, trolling
I think the blatant underlying point here is that people are WAY more sensitive and look for reasons to be offended( and then justify it) now than back in 2008. There was NOT a big out cry over this back then, but there was with Quiet just a few years ago( no coo coincidence). Not a good sign for the future.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is probably undoubtedly one of the most tasteless game directors around.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I know mgs needs a collection of freaks for their bosses ever since mgs1 fox unit but these bosses were boring tbh.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the blatant underlying point here is that people are WAY more sensitive and look for reasons to be offended( and then justify it) now than back in 2008. There was NOT a big out cry over this back then, but there was with Quiet just a few years ago( no coo coincidence). Not a good sign for the future.
OK boomer.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Kojima IS a sexist and misogynist.
And he gets a free pass from his fans.

Imagine any other creator doing the sexist shit he has pulled off, he would be shunned immediately.
It's not just Kojima, check out discussions about Bayonetta or Nier Autotmeta. Japanese creators can do no wrong, it's all just cute and funny, not to mention it has deeper meanings and metacommentary and subtlety that goes over our heads, it's not just blatant sexualization!

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, because the MGS4 intro movie(s) is a thing that exists.
What the hell was that?

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's this stuff that makes me shake my head at people calling Kojima a "genius" and an "important political artist".

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
They were terrible then and still terrible now. Mechanically, I like the actual encounters in terms of tension and design.

But the atrocious exposition dump by drebin post fight, the sexualization combined with the extremely grim dark backstories makes for an awkward as fuck results. Like the fuck am I supposed to feel about them?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
In retrospect, the B-B Unit was the first real sign that Kojima was starting to buy into his own hype - which then culminated in "words and deeds" in MGSV, and now, what we've seen of Death Stranding's gameplay.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
User banned (1 week): dismissive behaviour towards sexist objectification, trolling
The concept you posted is actually cool. It was the first time a team of women were bosses of a game.

Not to sure why anyone would call this crazy. Its a video game guys. Relax.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This was indeed peak WTF Kokima, and man if the bar for "weirdest Kojima shit ever" isn't sky high. It's kind of a shame because I like the mecha suit designs themselves quite a lot, they were the cool kind of weird. The post-death photo shoot though? Kojima, kindly lay off the coke.

Wouldn't' it have been great to have them as bosses in Revengeance without all the creepy stuff?

Its a video game guys. Relax.

Like fucking clockwork.

Windy_Smile

Oct 27, 2017
Who paid you to make this SJW thread @op? Was it George Soros?
Stay scummy Kojima, don't let the bourgeois question your brilliance.

Rumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
This cringy stuff has really turned me off the series in general. Maybe it was being much younger or maybe the games were a lot more subtle, but MGS 1 - 3 were some of my favourite games of all time. I could not get into 4 at all, not only because of a lot of the tings OP mentioned in the first post, but with all the weird fan service stuff with Meryl and Johnny too. Basically the only thing I remember of the game at this point.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
This cringy stuff has really turned me off the series in general. Maybe it was being much younger or maybe the games were a lot more subtle, but MGS 1 - 3 were some of my favourite games of all time. I could not get into 4 at all, not only because of a lot of the tings OP mentioned in the first post, but with all the weird fan service stuff with Meryl and Johnny too. Basically the only thing I remember of the game at this point.
it was you Meryl and Johnny were awesome
images

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that while I love the MGS series before MGS4, a lot of Kojima's ideas always felt disconnected and stupid.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think this is anything close to GZ/PP's handling of paz and quiet, but yeah this fucking sucked.

The tragic backstories and "beautiful women turned into war machines" elements actually fit the themes of the game (even if they are inherently objectifying), hypothetically you could do something really smart with that, but kojima couldnt resist doing the dumbest and creepiest possible path.

I wouldn't call it bizarre, just slimy.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I can totally hate someone for continued, unfaltering objectification and exploitation of women.

Jesus fucking christ, its sickening to liken his bottomfeeder misogyny to being just a "wacky quirk".

people like ishida lap these things up because it's exactly who they are themselves. they have no shame and no desire to see things differently.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
It was absolutely tone deaf to what followed. I enjoyed the encounters themselves since the bosses were fun to fight, but the whole photoshoot was dumb and I just tranq'd them to skip it. The fact it follows up the sexy photoshoot with tragic backstories was just completely baffling, and that's saying a lot given we're talking about MGS4 here.

Honestly tho thanks for bringing this back up. I remember being irritated with how much time MGSV spends on focusing the cutscene camera on any breasts it can find that I totally forgot that MGS4 was no better whatsoever with tone deaf fanservice. I ain't really interested in Death Stranding but I hope to god it does better on this stuff because it was embarrassing as all hell both in MGS4 and MGSV.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like Kojima but this shit was fucking wack bro, the way they'd pose for you and everything like it was some sexy photo shoot after detailing their tragic back stories was a big ol' YIKES. Good boss fights tho.

I know people like to latch onto the Quiet shit but I'm surprised a bigger stinker has never been raised over this. Feels a lot more worse imo.

ace131ec1db615d2d3448a217a18cfcf.gif

Kojma is master of his craft.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Shite then, shite now.

Not that it would've made the sexualisation any better in the slightest but the only decent fight was Laughing Octopus.

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
For those who don't know, the B&B's standing for "beauty and the beast" were MGS4's group of bosses.

What were they? Well.. this.
7fc01c741435193d974a4e9d39800b03.jpg

Kojima scanned four real life models into the game and put them in these giant robot suits. Once you kill the robot, the girls come out of the suit. They look like this

And sexually walk towards snake, who either has to kill or tranq them. The sexualization is actually one of the least surprising things considering Kojima to me though.

On top of that, every single one of them has PTSD due to some way over the top backstory that includes some horrible atrocities they committed in their past

On top of that, each one is supposed to be a conglomeration of past MGS bosses. Sporting a FOXHOUND members name, a Dead Cell member's weapon, and a Cobra member's emotion.

On top of THAT, it's revealed in the end that they were all being controlled by a nanomachine implementation of Psycho Mantis' will into the leader, Screaming Mantis.

in general they feel disconnected from the game's main story. Only being relevant for the intro cutscene with all of them in act one, and their respective fights.

MGS4 in general dealt with soldiers' emotions and PTSD, but this was definitely the most bizarre way it went about doing so.

just explaining it sounds crazy. He body scanned four models, sexualized the hell out of them, slapped them in a big robotic suit decked out with weapons, gave them horrifying backstories, connected them to every past MGS boss, and in the end had them all being controlled by Mantis. Like what the fuck lmao

That's not even mentioning the photo mode that snake can enter where he can take pictures of the models.
It was awful.