• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking it was weird and getting shouted down on GAF for insisting on censorship of genius.

ov45Bl0.png

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
These bosses were badass, but I do remember being skeeved out by them a bit even as a horny 13-15 year old when I played this game.

I really appreciated that you could tranq rather than kill them. They didn't deserve their lot in life, so showing them mercy always felt right to me... Also I am pretty sure you got a camo skin for them if you did that >.>

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay, that's an actual plot point with bad shit happening though. It's ok to have traumatic shit like that. Stories can include sexual assault plot points. Paz wasn't sexualized at all there. Ground Zeroes was really really dark.

Not remotely comparable to Kojima's sexualization problem with stuff like BB Unit and Quiet.

Talking of Paz...was there any need for the "Date with Paz" content in Peace Walker?

latest

A certain CO-OPs COMM Battle Cry effect ("Time to say 'Good Night!!!'") will also have Paz fall asleep. Doing this will also allow the player the opportunity to search her to find a design spec relating to the Psyche Recovery variation of the EZ Gun. The player can lie down face first between Paz's legs, with Paz telling Snake that "[his] beard hurts."

To end the mission, use a Love Box, or any Cardboard box, and equip it. Paz will then ask "room for one more?" and enter, with it shaking and Paz giggling.

But of course, non of it is canon:

Due to the humorous nature of the mission, Paz supposedly being only sixteen, along with Paz declaring twice in her diary that "she has no interest in that man,"[21] not all aspects are likely to be canon.

And weren't she in her underwear in the mech in that game.

Kojima is just weird.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
MGS4 was a bizarre game from the moment you start playing with all these weird channels.

However i still love the 2006 E3 trailer to this day, i love the middle east war atmosphere, Meryl's old design and Raiden's reveal at the end.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Talking of Paz...was there any need for the "Date with Paz" content in Peace Walker?

Kojima is just weird.
Good to hear that Big Boss is "not likely" a pedophile if we just take this fanwiki on its word on them deciding it doesn't count. Regardless of whether it "happened" or not, the developers thought highly enough of their decision to include the scene though, because that skeezy underwear model in the 3D model viewer mode. But don't worry, Paz gets molested, raped, tortured, and gets murdered later, so that's actually very tragic. Words and deeds.

Nov 8, 2017
snake

vibing kangaroo was born in a small town in australia. one day so bogans began hooning in the town, ruining all the good vibes and running over all the villagers. a young girl ran to the closest station and hid so she could vibe check in peace. but the hopping of a kangaroo didn't let her. the kangaroo hopped all over the hooners and crushed them... but it also flipped over the barbie. the shrimp, and the fire, went everywhere, and the village was burned up. the soldiers came and found only a girl... snake, there was no kangaroo. that was vibing kangaroo, and you cleansed her soul

you cleansed her soul by taking pictures of her as she erotically writhed on the ground while having a mental breakdown and regressing to a childlike traumatic state.

snake, also let me tell you about how paz is actually in her 20s so it's okay and quiet HAS to breathe and drink through her skin which is why she can't wear clothes and rolls around in water

This is offensive to my culture, mate.

I'm deploying counterhooning measures pronto.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Listening to Drebin drone on in one of the most over the top tragic backstories for one of these BB's really made me despise that game.
Also Pax gets brutally sexually assaulted and a kid is made to join in. This actually happens in MGS Ground Zeroes.

I can't believe Kojima got away with all that shit.

Got away with it because nothing was shown, oy implied. That bomb thing, hot damn.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the "it's Kojima" posts in here are why I can't stand this guys and his fanbases antics. It's like he's the only guy in the AAA space that gets a free pass for blatant sexism because he's an "auteur" or whatever the fans like to tell themselves.

I wouldn't even mind the mindless wanking around the guys character if people didn't constantly excuse his sexist shit with weak ass reasoning like that.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I've always found Kojima's take on sex and women quite pathetic. At least the one he shows through his work

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

latest

Kojima is just weird.
Yeah I really wish he didn't put this in

Date with Kaz though.... now that was some needed content.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Drive-by trolling, previous infraction for similar behavior
Raging Beauty best girl. That is all.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can totally hate someone for continued, unfaltering objectification and exploitation of women.

Jesus fucking christ, its sickening to liken his bottomfeeder misogyny to being just a "wacky quirk".
And people get away with it lol. "It's Kojima" after all. You just don't understand his genius. Is there any other prolific dev that openly sexist? And any other dev that gets excuses over excuses for it instead of being shunned like any other person would be on this forum?
Imagine any head of a western studio being like this. Would get brigaded over Twitter until he gets fired.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
And people get away with it lol. "It's Kojima" after all. You just don't understand his genius. Is there any other prolific dev that openly sexist? And any other dev that gets excuses over excuses for it instead of being shunned like any other person would be on this forum?
I don't think Kojima's problem is that he's sexist, it's more sexualization. I've always viewed them as two different things.

There are lots of strong and powerful women in MGS (Olga Gurlukovich, The Boss, EVA, Sniper Wolf, Amanda, Meryl) so that makes the sexualization all the more frustrating to me.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It was with this boss cast that future Metal Gear games had completely lukewarm feelings for me. It's remarkable how the quality of the antagonist cast just drops and never recovers after MGS3's Cobra Unit. Peace Walker would somehow get worse bosses than MGS4, and the somehow MGSV gets the worst in the franchise.

Rising's cast is probably the only good cast of antagonists after MGS3, and they're awfully one-dimensional. Jetstream Sam is the shit, though.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It was with this boss cast that future Metal Gear games had completely lukewarm feelings for me. It's remarkable how the quality of the antagonist cast just drops and never recovers after MGS3's Cobra Unit. Peace Walker would somehow get worse bosses than MGS4, and the somehow MGSV gets the worst in the franchise.

Rising's cast is probably the only good cast of antagonists after MGS3, and they're awfully one-dimensional. Jetstream Sam is the shit, though.
To be fair the Cobras, despite their insanely cool fights, didn't get as much characterization as FOXHOUND or Dead Cell either. In fact I'd argue they're more one note than Rising's Desperado.

i mean The Pain was basically like "The Pain! the Pain! I will give you the greatest Pain you've ever felt!" same with The Fear.

The End and The Fury were better though. Especially The End.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Kojima's problem is that he's sexist, it's more sexualization. I've always viewed them as two different things.

There are lots of strong and powerful women in MGS (Olga Gurlukovich, The Boss, EVA, Sniper Wolf, Amanda, Meryl) so that makes the sexualization all the more frustrating to me.
Any strong characteristics of characters like Meryl are undermined when you can peep on her doing exercises without any pants on. The Bosses design also is said to have been reigned in by others because he seemingly wanted her breasts to be exposed. We see what Kojima does with female characters when he's not reigned in, so I don't doubt that for a second.

And sorry for fixating on that when your OP is about other stuff as well, but some of the blatant apologists in here kinda got to me.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Kojima is basically Columbo. Just when you think he's done, he turns around, wagging his finger, and says "just ooooonnnnneeeeee more thing."

Oct 25, 2017
It was also really weird cause....was I supposed to care about them? Every one of them hab basically no interaction with you outside of the boss battle and then the game was like "Oh yeah, some fucked up shit happened to them"
Don't really care if you never see any of them outside of battle.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Any strong characteristics of characters like Meryl are undermined when you can peep on her doing exercises without any pants on. The Bosses design also is said to have been reigned in by others because he seemingly wanted her breasts to be exposed. We see what Kojima does with female characters when he's not reigned in, so I don't doubt that for a second.

And sorry for fixating on that when your OP is about other stuff as well, but some of the blatant apologists in here kinda got to me.
Yeah it does suck that the characters come with that caveat, but there's still lots of likeable women in MGS that, while still acknowledging the issue, are some of my favorite characters in the series for what they actually do in the game, their abilities or personality.

and no worries, it's definitely an issue that shouldn't be discouraged from discussing and I don't wanna sweep it under the rug by any means. I just did have a bit more in mind when posting the OP.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It was also really weird cause....was I supposed to care about them? Every one of them hab basically no interaction with you outside of the boss battle and then the game was like "Oh yeah, some fucked up shit happened to them"
Don't really care if you never see any of them outside of battle.
Yeah, if you were supposed to care for them, all of that was done away with because they have no impact on the story besides their boss fight. So it basically came off as shock value.

And a lot of it was shocking. Despite the objectifying camera, there was some striking imagery in lots of cutscenes involving them. Aditionally, the actresses gave pretty great performances and sounded very chilling.

Oct 8, 2019
I considered the Metal Gear Solid franchise to be some of the best games in gaming history. I absolutely loved the first and third game in particular, then I played Metal Gear Solid 4, and never even bothered playing Metal Gear Solid 5.

The B and B units aren't the sole reason, the game was just bad, but the B and B units are one of the low points. Their backstories just came off as overly dark and tragic and in the case of Laughing Octopus just outright ridiculous. Yes Sniper Wolf's backstory was tragic but it at least made sense because it involved Saddam Hussein's attacks on the Kurds. Sniper Wolf also had a personality that made her sympathetic.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The designs are really fucking cool and memorable.

Everything else about the characters sucks. Honestly calling them "characters" at all is being generous. They feel so unbelievably throw-away.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
They were stupid as hell, but I thought the boss fights themselves were pretty good.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The B&B unit was such a disappointment coming from previous games that had such an interesting cast of villains.

9a5221542dc4d96f1859a7e77637ca65.png

cobra-unit-art-style.jpg

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
yeah they just kinda suck on basically every level
Agreed. Such a big drop from FOXHOUND, Dead Cell and The Cobra Unit.

how did drebin know their backstories if they always involved like, each b&b going insane and being the sole survivor of whatever traumatic massacre they were in
Well you see MGS4 is the best game of all time so that makes it okay.

One of the lowest points of MGS4 for me.
Yeah it sucked especially because Laughing Octopus seemed like such a cool boss until Kojima decided to sexualise her, then proceeds to do the same with the other bosses (who are incredibly forgettable). This is what lead to the likes of Paz and Quiet being such objects made for sexualization for Kojima. None of them are anywhere near as good as the likes of Sniper Wolf, The Boss or Olga which were all far better characters. I hope Fragile and Mama are along those lines in Death Stranding...