• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an unprecedented move, a probate court in Madison County, Alabama, has recognized a woman's aborted fetus (dubbed "Baby Roe") as a person with rights, allowing a man to proceed with his lawsuit against the women's health clinic where his ex-girlfriend obtained abortion care two years ago. Ryan Magers says he begged his ex-girlfriend not to have an abortion and that the aim of his lawsuit is to "give a voice" to other men who want a say in a woman's reproductive choices.

[...]

Helms said the lawsuit isn't about controlling his ex-girlfriend, "it's about the opportunity for family. I think Ryan is so family-oriented, he badly wanted a child. It's about the opportunity to raise a child." When asked if Magers is considering adopting since he so badly wants a child, Helms said he isn't. "At this point, he's not considered any adoption right this moment, no. The two of them were really close. It was something that they wanted together at the time," he said. In a follow-up email, Helms said the pregnancy was actually unplanned.

Sauce

Fuck you, Alabama. Just... fuck you.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. If a woman doesn't want a child, she doesn't have to bear a child.

I know it'd break my choice know I lost a potential child...but fuck that isn't my choice.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Wants a family + doesn't consider adoption = dude just wants a dog that can talk to him, but with even less responsibility.

edit: or is petty enough to try to ruin his ex-girlfriend's life.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
So he really wants a family, but he hasn't even considered adoption, but he is suing the women's health clinic, but it's not about controlling his ex-girlfriend.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Helms said the lawsuit isn't about controlling his ex-girlfriend, "it's about the opportunity for family. I think Ryan is so family-oriented, he badly wanted a child. It's about the opportunity to raise a child." When asked if Magers is considering adopting since he so badly wants a child, Helms said he isn't. "At this point, he's not considered any adoption right this moment, no. The two of them were really close. It was something that they wanted together at the time," he said. In a follow-up email, Helms said the pregnancy was actually unplanned.

It is definitely about controlling his ex-girlfriend.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't doubt that he just wanted the kid to force them to stay together, he wants a family "so badly" but won't adopt because he can't use an adopted kid to obligate her to stay with him.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Caveman thinks he owns woman's body. Lashes out with frivolous lawsuit when woman tells him to get fucked.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
If they want, men usually do have a voice in women's reproductive choices.

They do not own the final decision.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"He badly wanted a child"

Well, the women didn't.

Having to carry a child gives the women the tie breaker on a two way vote.

Take the L and find someone who wants a kid

Anyone who says "men don't have a say" lacks some functioning brain cells. Men have a say, they are just angry that the women has the final say

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I want a child and I want a family"
"Why don't you adopt"
"It's not the right time actually"

what a shit.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Fuck that guy.

But in general it's important for us men to remember that we don't have to carry the child for 9 months.

Our bodies aren't being used as possibly life threatening incubators.

No one can demand that we give up our body or part of our body for the sake of someone else.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Suing her is not even going to bring the fetus back so this definitely isn't about wanting a family, it's about wanting revenge. It's not even about wanting a family because he's not looking to adopt.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The fucking entitlement...it's despicable that this has gotten this far. What the fuck is he on? Wants a say in women's reproductive choices? Fuck right off! You don't own women, it doesn't matter what the fuck you want, you don't get to force that on anyone. Imagine the outcry if women tried to force men to give up sperm because they really, really wanted a child with an unwilling man. The fuck even is this world coming to when this kind of dumb shit is given the time of day?

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Desperately wanted a child? Then go find a woman willing to have one with you, asshole. Not about control, lol, good one.

Oh yeah, and fuck Alabama for even entertaining such an ass backwards lawsuit.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Madison county huh? Yeah I think I know where that clinic is, I interned in Huntsville in 2004 and there were protests every fucking morning with blown up pictures of aborted fetuses.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect lawsuit to showcase how stupid and how wrong men and anyone else are when it comes to telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
"He doesn't know why she didn't want to go through with the pregnancy. He's not giving me a definitive answer to that question," Helms said.
Gee, I wonder why. Reproductive coercion is vile and I wish nothing but the worst for this dude and his lawyer.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
They should allow her to remove the fertilized egg, in a clear plastic vial, give it to her ex, and tell him good fucking luck.

Oct 25, 2017
Just like the other 99.999% of the time, it has nothing to do with actually wanting a child, everything to do with controlling the actions of a woman.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
I really want to have a son or daughter. If I was in a relationship with someone and got them pregnant it would mean the world to me. If she chose to abort I would probably end up cutting all ties with her and I wouldn't be able to forgive it.

Having said this, I wouldn't stop her from doing it if she really wanted to, despite my feelings about it. Dude wants to control her, and suing the clinic is wrong.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if someone wants to believe that men have an equal right to decide whether to get an abortion or not, the fact that the woman has to carry it for 9 months means they deserve the tiebreaker and can make whatever damn choice they well please.

This guy can fuck right off.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
User Banned (2 Weeks): Sexism. User in junior phase.
This particular case may not be the best example, but it does illustrate a fundamental inequality in abortion/child care laws. A woman can (in many [all?] states) terminate a pregnancy without agreement from the father and a woman can bear a child and the father is (legally at least) financially on the hook even if he disagrees. Conception is primarily a consensual experience (i.e. both parties understand the consequences of intercourse; rape or faking contraception aside) so there should be more parity on the chosen outcome. Obviously a delicate issue with lots of strong feelings on all sides but I feel there could be more debate.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Its ridiculous that a lawyer would even take the case. Its the womans choice wether she wants to have the baby or not. End of story

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This particular case may not be the best example, but it does illustrate a fundamental inequality in abortion/child care laws.

Gee I wonder why that is.

Pregnancy can absolutely demolish a woman's body and mental health. Even in a good pregnancy it does crazy things. It's basically 9 months of hell followed by very likely massive injuries that might heal... might not. And again there's a huge mental toll. Plus having to try and keep working during this time when your body is focusing on this tiny being.

Until there's a way for a woman to safely just transfer all of that to a man then things should be unequal.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Pregnancy can absolutely demolish a woman's body and mental health. Even in a good pregnancy it does crazy things. It's basically 9 months of hell followed by very likely massive injuries that might heal... might not. And again there's a huge mental toll. Plus having to try and keep working during this time when your body is focusing on this tiny being.

Until there's a way for a woman to safely just transfer all of that to a man then things should be unequal.

Yea it's no joke. My wife's (now former) boss called her while she was in labor demanding files. First and only time I cursed out someone from her job.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This particular case may not be the best example, but it does illustrate a fundamental inequality in abortion/child care laws. A woman can (in many [all?] states) terminate a pregnancy without agreement from the father and a woman can bear a child and the father is (legally at least) financially on the hook even if he disagrees. Conception is primarily a consensual experience (i.e. both parties understand the consequences of intercourse; rape or faking contraception aside) so there should be more parity on the chosen outcome. Obviously a delicate issue with lots of strong feelings on all sides but I feel there could be more debate.

Men can try carrying a fucking baby inside them for 9 months, dealing with all the physical and emotional consequences during and after, some of which is permanent. Or take birth control pills or other internal contraception. Or deal with a miscarriage or stillborn baby dying inside them. Then they can have "more parity."

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA

Men can try carrying a fucking baby inside them for 9 months, dealing with all the physical and emotional consequences during and after, some of which is permanent. Or take birth control pills or other internal contraception. Or deal with a miscarriage or stillborn baby dying inside them. Then they can have "more parity."

I have kids, I know what pregnancy is like. It can have an emotional and even physical toll on the man as well. Simply because pregnancy has a toll on the mother shouldn't eliminate all rights of the father or put him on the financial hook for 18 years by default. Getting pregnant is almost always due to consensual sex (with or without the intent to get pregnant) so there should be, not 50:50, but SOME input from the father. Their emotional and physical health should also be considered in a decision to terminate or keep a baby, IMHO. Somewhere between "all pregnancy decisions rest solely on the mother" and "the father has 100% control" is a middle ground that respects a woman's body as well as a man's responsibility.

Oct 25, 2017
Sent this article to a friend.
"I think that is a good thing" was the reply I got back.

I need to make better friends.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Who...

Who the fuck does this man think he is?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
As a man, i can't wrap my head around the idea that men think they should be able to dictate what women do with their own bodies.

Where do you draw the line? Should our gf's able to dictate my reproductive health choices? Ofcourse we say "hell no" when the roles are reversed.

"Because I want an family, she should have to involuntarily subject herself to 9 months of potentially life threatening body transformation and the life altering prospects of parenthood" how crazy does that sound?!??!?