• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

There is no 100 percent ethical consumption under capitalism, period. Some products are more ethical than others, and some are less, but you can't go and say something this absolute unless you're willing to apply it to literally every other produced good in existence.

Now, obviously, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive our hardest to consume as ethically as we can. In fact, the most important thing is that we all consume LESS, period. That's the only way we won't just save our society, but our entire planet. But guilt tripping people to the extent that the OP is rather... hypocritical, in my view.

I mean, the OP is concerned with with animal welfare, but most of the products sold in the US, UK, etc, are produced by humans working in similarly brutal conditions. Since the OP clearly isn't living out in a wood cabin in the middle of nowhere only using goods they produced themselves.... by their own definition, they are guilty of supporting all the worst parts of every industry they purchase from. Every last one of them. Is the OP willing to admit that they are guilty of this? Because if not, they have no leg to stand on.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I truly believe that it is. And that you can't even see that that is what is happening. So we are at an impasse.
Then you're in denial of all the evidence, data, studies, etc.. imo. There is far more going on here than projection.

Is it good with tea, as well?
I personally think so... but I've found tea to be brutally subjective here. This is the one milk I've found that has convinced more people than any other, though.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember going to a pig farm when I was 12 and hearing them get bled to death. I mean, stuff like this wont make me stop eating meat or make me eat less, but still good to share, I guess

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Industrialization is bad

High disagree, I'd rather have a machine that shake trees instead of a bunch of exploited immigrants picking up my apples.

You can have meat and dairy ethically

High disagree there too, you are still breeding animals just for consumption, keeping them artificially pregnant, killing the male because they don't produce milk, killing them early when their yield reduces.

I suppose my point would be to focus less on meat = bad veggies = good and more on locally sourced ethical food production = good and large scale industrialized food production = bad.

We can both agree that local is usually better. The ethical part is a scam, it might be better than highly industrialized meat/dairy/poultry but it's still shitty.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then you're in denial of all the evidence, data, studies, etc.. imo. There is far more going on here than projection.

I personally think so... but I've found tea to be brutally subjective here. This is the one milk I've found that has convinced more people than any other, though.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. :)

And thank you for posting this thread. It's convinced me to become vegan.

Ignignort

Oct 27, 2017
But even the farm you worked on was still impregnating cows every year and taking the calves away at birth, there's no way to do that with kindness.

We had bulls that would do the impregnating naturally and calves weren't taken away.
Quite often calf's were hand fed with a bottle and bucket if they were abandoned at birth. Cows are just animals not human, if they give birth and they don't like the calf or they sense something is wrong they just won't feed it and let it die.

I never said we ran a dairy, we ran a small farm mostly selling fruit and veg with sone meat sales.

Don't let the internet blind you, go out and make your own decision if you care so much and let that be how you live not me.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
There is no 100 percent ethical consumption under capitalism, period. Some products are more ethical than others, and some are less, but you can't go and say something this absolute unless you're willing to apply it to literally every other produced good in existence.

Now, obviously, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive our hardest to consume as ethically as we can. In fact, the most important thing is that we all consume LESS, period. That's the only way we won't just save our society, but our entire planet. But guilt tripping people to the extent that the OP is rather... hypocritical, in my view.

I mean, the OP is concerned with with animal welfare, but most of the products sold in the US, UK, etc, are produced by humans working in similarly brutal conditions. Since the OP clearly isn't living out in a wood cabin in the middle of nowhere only using goods they produced themselves.... by their own definition, they are guilty of supporting all the worst parts of every industry they purchase from. Every last one of them. Is the OP willing to admit that they are guilty of this? Because if not, they have no leg to stand on.

True, I suppose. But one could also call it whataboutism.

Obviously those things should improve also.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
High disagree, I'd rather have a machine that shake trees instead of a bunch of exploited immigrants picking up my apples.

High disagree there too, you are still breeding animals just for consumption, keeping them artificially pregnant, killing the male because they don't produce milk, killing them early when their yield reduces.

We can both agree that local is usually better. The ethical part is a scam, it might be better than highly industrialized meat/dairy/poultry but it's still shitty.

How do you propose we produce food then?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It is because I don't project human experience onto non-human animals.
If you accidentally step on your cat's tail and it goes YEEOOOWWWLL, what do you think is happening? Pain and suffering is very obviously not limited to humans.

And their pain doesn't have to be the same as ours in order to be real. Right? I don't understand what your point is.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll also chime in that I've been vegetarian for over a year now because of new information that swayed me, and this thread is actually pushing me to go full vegan. So thanks for that.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll also chime in that I've been vegetarian for over a year now because of new information that swayed me, and this thread is actually pushing me to go full vegan. So thanks for that.
<3

<3

I really wish you both the best luck. It can be difficult, but there are so many delicious vegan alternatives and recipes out there that, once you've adjusted, you will not be lacking for delicious foods to eat. And more and more places are offering vegan choices to eat out.

If you ever need any recommendations my PMs are open.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
If you accidentally step on your cat's tail and it goes YEEOOOWWWLL, what do you think is happening? Pain and suffering is very obviously not limited to humans.

It is obvious they experience pain. It is not obvious that they have the consciousness necessary to experience pain in any way similar to humans do.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
<3

<3

I really wish you both the best luck. It can be difficult, but there are so many delicious vegan alternatives and recipes out there that, once you've adjusted, you will not be lacking for delicious foods to eat. And more and more places are offering vegan choices to eat out.

If you ever need any recommendations my PMs are open.
Appreciate it. ❤

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Why is that important to you?
It is not really. It is just relevant to the discussion.

I have already stated that I do not eat beef or pork (or mammals at all really those are just the big 2 that are pretty widely available where I live) and that I own pets that I love (and I would feel terrible if I stepped on one of my cat's tails and apologize and give it treats).

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats! There's a whole world out there to discover and research. It's also a great time now with Veganuary happening.
Take your time, I personally prefer hard and fast rules, like I'm 100% cutting beef and dairy, then poultry, then fish, etc.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
But the discussion is "don't hurt things you don't need to hurt". You're the one bringing up human emotions, like it doesn't count unless a cow is laying awake a night thinking "they took my calf. He was going to be a doctor".
That is absolutely not the discussion being had but sure.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It is not really. It is just relevant to the discussion.

I have already stated that I do not eat beef or pork (or mammals at all really those are just the big 2 that are pretty widely available where I live) and that I own pets that I love (and I would feel terrible if I stepped on one of my cat's tails and apologize and give it treats).
Why do you give your cat treats after you step on its tail if you don't believe it experiences complex emotions from the pain?

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
You're being overly pedantic, if you can't see what we mean there's no helping here.
The irony is thick in this one.

You're the one who is trying to boil down very complicated subjects (food production, ethics of killing animals, veganism) into a neat little package that supports your view. You are simplifying the argument to "we should not hurt things unnecessarily" to make anyone who disagrees with you seem like the bad guy. My point is that things are not that simple and that anyone that chooses to consume meat it not evil despite what you may want people to believe.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't drink milk (though I do use non-dairy milk), but I love cheese.

You know what I don't love? Preachy vegans passive-aggressively telling me how evil I am for liking said cheese.

I can't speak to every bit of cheese I consume (because I don't usually know where restaurants source theirs), but I try to stick to brands that work in smaller batches, not using factory farmed cows. If that makes me worse than Hitler then so be it.

the ironic part about statements like these in threads like these is you come off as the defensive, preachy one

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Thank you for making this thread. I've been vegetarian for ages, but only been vegan in periods and not a very rigorous one.

This thread inspired me to start minimizing eggs and dairy again, and be a bit more rigorous 😊

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck every single last one of those assholes.

I don't drink much milk nowadays (maybe two small cartons every month, if that), but I do consume diary products and beef. I will try to cut down on things going forward.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The irony is thick in this one.

You're the one who is trying to boil down very complicated subjects (food production, ethics of killing animals, veganism) into a neat little package that supports your view. You are simplifying the argument to "we should not hurt things unnecessarily" to make anyone who disagrees with you seem like the bad guy. My point is that things are not that simple and that anyone that chooses to consume meat it not evil despite what you may want people to believe.
No, I was saying that was the core of the debate because it actually is

No one said anything about people eating meat being evil.

Thank you for making this thread. I've been vegetarian for ages, but only been vegan in periods and not a very rigorous one.

This thread inspired me to start minimizing eggs and dairy again, and be a bit more rigorous 😊
<3

Good luck, the journey is long but well worth it. If you get into cooking there are so many delicious things for you to discover!

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
As someone who went mostly vegetarian sort of by accident(went vegetarian for a while because I liked some recipes, tried eating meat again, felt sick because I hadn't eaten meat in forever, then stayed vegetarian out of laziness)...question:

Is it just me who genuinely prefers almond milk to regular milk? Like I actively prefer the taste. Which is unrelated to being mostly vegetarian, I now realize, but I'm committed to that opening so I'm sticking with it.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
As someone who went mostly vegetarian sort of by accident(went vegetarian for a while because I liked some recipes, tried eating meat again, felt sick because I hadn't eaten meat in forever, then stayed vegetarian out of laziness)...question:

Is it just me who genuinely prefers almond milk to regular milk? Like I actively prefer the taste. Which is unrelated to being mostly vegetarian, I now realize, but I'm committed to that opening so I'm sticking with it.

Once your tastebuds adjust, I wouldn't consider it weird at all to prefer the non-dairy milk to dairy. Though I do think there are some cooking recipes that are a lot worse with certain non-dairy (don't do custard with soy milk, for example).

Also, if you get used to non-dairy like I have, if you ever do have a small glass of Vitamin-D it tastes like the most decadent stuff ever.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

I vastly prefer almond milk to cow milk, taste wise. I can't even remember the last time I actually drank a glass of cow milk.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
So many farmers are, greedy, subsidy supported, often violent, scum of the earth, pieces of shit, as this film shows, and basically just criminals..... I live in rural Devon and some of these arseholes spend their life moaning about how little they earn, while driving around in 100k Range Rovers and treating their livestock badly. I've seen nothing as bad as this vid, but I've seen things that disturb that's for sure...... I hope BREXIT and the withdraw of vast EU subsidies makes the worst of these evil cunts go to the wall, but no doubt the fucking Tories will bail them out, as they all tend to be Tory voters. My family and I are part of the problem though, as we use dairy, although organic, but I'm sure this sort of thing goes on there too. It must be said not all farmers are bad, and many treat their livestock very well, but there are far too many who don't. If you can, do your best to not support this industry.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. That was hard to watch.

Sorry, I already reduced beef intake by about 90%, but due to climate reasons. I draw the line at Milk. I do refer to https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/dairy/ for milk purchases though.

You know what sucks though, the GOOD farms actually use more land and water to keep their cows happy, also contributing towards climate change. So brutally efficient and animal-abusing practices are actually better at keeping emissions/resource usage down as long as demand stays constant.

Sometimes raising awareness is the best you can do. Let the people figure out how much it actually means to them.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Arnold hates cows milk, likes almond milk.

Mar 3, 2019
So many farmers are, greedy, subsidy supported, often violent, scum of the earth, pieces of shit, as this film shows, and basically just criminals..... I live in rural Devon and some of these arseholes spend their life moaning about how little they earn, while driving around in 100k Range Rovers and treating their livestock badly. I've seen nothing as bad as this vid, but I've seen things that disturb that's for sure...... I hope BREXIT and the withdraw of vast EU subsidies makes the worst of these evil cunts go to the wall, but no doubt the fucking Tories will bail them out, as they all tend to be Tory voters. My family and I are part of the problem though, as we use dairy, although organic, but I'm sure this sort of thing goes on there too. It must be said not all farmers are bad, and many treat their livestock very well, but there are far too many who don't. If you can, do your best to not support this industry.

The key is to support smaller farms/family farms that dont deal in massive quantities. Alot of the abuses in the video are there thanks to industrialization of the food industry and profit margins over all else. When you start thinking about how many cows you can stack in a small space to make the most money is how you run into these problems. Smaller farms might cost a little more, but the animals receive a much better quality of life in general, spending their days grazing and being well cared for in larger open fields, as opposed to factory farm animals being subjected to inhumane and disrepectful conditions.