• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Having worked with farmers, I am very skeptical that the casual cruelty exhibited in that footage is anywhere near common. Some of the farming techniques reported are 100% real though, forced insemination etc. But as a whole, I felt like it was attempting to mislead me to make a rhetorical point.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Now, this is nothing new. We know dairy farms are horrible exploitation, yet most of us will continue to buy their products because we enjoy them.

No shaming here, just the reality of what is happening.

Please watch.

EDIT:

As someone correctly pointed out, there are many reasons why this footage might be hard to watch beyond simply not wanting to take responsibility. for that reason, I have added a transcription below.

However, if you can please do watch the entirety. These animals deserve to be seen.

Animals are repeatedly struck with sticks, feet, hands. Calves (literal newborns) are dragged across filthy floors by their feet away from their mothers. Footage of artificial insemination (not graphic). Footage of animals in filthy conditions, being dragged by machinery. Footage of an animal about to be shot that cuts off.

When the OP mentioned "exploitation" I thought this would be about how workers on farms are treated or something. Is this whole thread really just about the cows themselves? I'm at work and can't watch the whole video.

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way for humans (or really any animals but the grass-eaters) to exist under this criteria. Any farm you make (vegan or no) is going to displace, harm, or kill some non-zero number of animals.

We should reduce and hopefully eliminate abuse, but if your criteria for that is "animals never get hunted" then you're asking for a 4 sided triangle.

I'm hoping the lab grown stuff takes off. That's the best solution as long as it tastes good.
I'm merely pointing out that by definition, what happens at the very minimum in all dairy production cannot be called 'humane'. We might call euthanizing someone who is in great pain and has asked, of sound mind, to be allowed to die, a humane killing. We might call putting a pet to sleep when they are suffering greatly and cannot speak a humane killing. Slitting a cow's throat because it was born a boy or because it no longer makes enough milk cannot be considered humane.

Pointing out that we will always have some negative impact on the world as a way to justify avoidable behaviors that cause disproportionate suffering is called the nirvana fallacy. When you drive in your car because you need to get to work to earn a living, you may kill some bugs. That doesn't justify purposefully steering your car into the path of stray dogs because you like the pleasure doing so brings you. When one option creates not only no intentional harm but also much less unintentional harm (because of the environmental impact and inefficiency of growing crops or clearing land to feed livestock) then of course we have a moral obligation to take that path.

Oct 25, 2017
I've chosen not to eat beef as well as some other meats, but I still consume dairy like an idiot. It's literally the same thing.

Honestly though, the humans in these videos are what I'm most concerned about. Treating creatures like this day in and day out cannot be mentally healthy. I would have to imagine their aggression is higher than an average person and empathy way lower.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
When the OP mentioned "exploitation" I thought this would be about how workers on farms are treated or something. Is this whole thread really just about the cows themselves? I'm at work and can't watch the whole video.
It's in the spoiler.

Sure, but that's not what the person I replied to was saying. Their argument for "no exploitation" was to only kill suicidal animals. That's not sustainable.
I was just adding to the point in your post.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
We need to do both.

Even the "good places" within the efficiency of the industry produce suffering and harm.

"Ethical" local farms cannot meet the demand so are not a solution.

There are lots of ethical farms doing well, animals treated with respect and care produce more than animals treated as shown on the video.
The problem also is that there is not a good replacement yet. Importing soy milk or almond milk has a huge effect on climate change, since we do not produce soy or almonds locally, so all the transport cost and imports makes it even less likely to replace diary.
Furthermore, almonds are killing bees, and needs huge amounts of water.
Ethical diary is a thing, and we should be informed about where and how our products arrive to our tables.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Having worked with farmers, I am very skeptical that the casual cruelty exhibited in that footage is anywhere near common. Some of the farming techniques reported are 100% real though, forced insemination etc. But as a whole, I felt like it was attempting to mislead me to make a rhetorical point.

It is common. Most dairy nowadays comes from huge mega farms. The small, caring farmer is an anomaly.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Listen I've worked in the food industry most of my entire life, killing animals is nothing new to me, nor is seeing them die. But I've never seen or been apart of cruelty to the animals before making it to a plate.

I dont consume dairy anymore simply because my body said "fuck you" and became lactose intolerant when I got older. However I will consume many cheeses from time to time as part of my job.

I understand our ecosystem quite well, and will admit free range, organic, or grass fed meat does taste a whole lot better...so I support better treatment (less factory farming) since it means the quality and flavor of the meat is better.

Also, I cant stand the taste of soy/oat milks.

Almond or coconut is where its at...

this is godlike

large_6b81409a-1b2b-458b-ac64-6f38f96aaf9f.png

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I read the spoiler, I wanted to see if there was anything here beyond that, of note.
That is what the video is about.

There are lots of ethical farms doing well, animals treated with respect and care produce more than animals treated as shown on the video.
The problem also is that there is not a good replacement yet. Importing soy milk or almond milk has a huge effect on climate change, since we do not produce soy or almonds locally, so all the transport cost and imports makes it even less likely to replace diary.
Furthermore, almonds are killing bees, and needs huge amounts of water.
Ethical diary is a thing, and we should be informed about where and how our products arrive to our tables.
Ethical dairy or meat is not a thing, imo (hence why I've always written it in quotation marks), as it directly exploits animals and often ends in death. It is no longer necessary for many of us, at all. There is no solution where animals are directly being exploited that will satisfy the vegan philosophy, so we'll have to agree to disagree there.

The ultimate solution lies within technology (lab grown) and the push for more sustainable non-animal based solutions.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Moving off dairy milk was incredibly easy for me. I only really use it for cereal, and soy milk is totally fine for that. I love the actual taste of coffee so I don't put anything in with the beans I grind fresh.

Cheese is another matter, and I still eat a lot of it and don't see myself stopping.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the various milk substitutes a while ago and none of them were particularly bad, but none were as good as actual milk. But I'm willing to try them again, see if there is anything else out there now that would suit me.

One minor irritation is they're almost twice the price of standard milk. Eg Asda, full fat milk 48.46p/Lt, Oat Milk 95p/Lt.

Mind you, I'd have a hard time giving up cheese.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I've chosen not to eat beef as well as some other meats, but I still consume dairy like an idiot. It's literally the same thing.

Honestly though, the humans in these videos are what I'm most concerned about. Treating creatures like this day in and day out cannot be mentally healthy. I would have to imagine their aggression is higher than an average person and empathy way lower.

It is extremely unhealthy for the workers involved with the slaughtering of animals. Every sector that deals with death or dealing it out for sick/unwanted animals involves substantial mental and emotional trauma. The suicide rate among veterinarians is so high because of this.

Despite what many on Era think most people aren't sociopaths. They don't take pleasure in being cruel to animals or other people. Ignorance, force of habit, and good alternatives are the issues here. People can, have, and will change for the better. It just takes time.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Moving off dairy milk was incredibly easy for me. I only really use it for cereal, and soy milk is totally fine for that. I love the actual taste of coffee so I don't put anything in with the beans I grind fresh.

Cheese is another matter, and I still eat a lot of it and don't see myself stopping.
I feel like veganism will greatly expand once vegan cheese that isn't gross or weird starts to become more prevalent.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
As someone who just two years ago was on the "but I can't give up cheese" wagon, I can say it isn't that hard. Sure, it's a transition, but damn if looking back I realise how much I would eat and just how horrible it was for me.

Going vegan/plant based is a lot easier now, and I do realise that depending on where you live it could get easier/harder. But giving up dairy is a lot easier than I had originally thought.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm merely pointing out that by definition, what happens at the very minimum in all dairy production cannot be called 'humane'. We might call euthanizing someone who is in great pain and has asked, of sound mind, to be allowed to die, a humane killing. We might call putting a pet to sleep when they are suffering greatly and cannot speak a humane killing. Slitting a cow's throat because it was born a boy or because it no longer makes enough milk cannot be considered humane.

Pointing out that we will always have some negative impact on the world as a way to justify avoidable behaviors that cause disproportionate suffering is called the nirvana fallacy. When you drive in your car because you need to get to work to earn a living, you may kill some bugs. That doesn't justify purposefully steering your car into the path of stray dogs because you like the pleasure doing so brings you. When one option creates not only no intentional harm but also much less unintentional harm (because of the environmental impact and inefficiency of growing crops or clearing land to feed livestock) then of course we have a moral obligation to take that path.

So this is just a semantic argument about the word "humane."

Pick another word, and it doesn't change my point. One must accept the death of animals to live (and not just bugs; find me a field you can clear that won't end up running down field mice, snakes, moles, etc.... Even if you pull it off, you're still blasting a habitat).

Accepting that, there are right ways and wrong ways to do that. This video is obviously wrong, but I disagree that killing an animal is wrong by default.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That is what the video is about.

Ethical dairy or meat is not a thing, imo (hence why I've always written it in quotation marks), as it directly exploits animals and often ends in death. It is no longer necessary for many of us, at all. There is no solution where animals are directly being exploited that will satisfy the vegan philosophy, so we'll have to agree to disagree there.

The ultimate solution lies within technology (lab grown) and the push for more sustainable non-animal based solutions.

Now I understand what you are saying but the abuse shown on that video is one of the reasons people should know where they are buying from. Again, I buy local for two reasons:

Carbon footprints and the way they treat their animals.

I wish there was an alternative, but importing milk and cheese from thousands of kilometers is not an option to me. I try to be a responsible consumer and make sure the products I buy are organic, local and without arming animals or communities. I think I owe that much to the world.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Pick another word, and it doesn't change my point. One must accept the death of animals to live (and not just bugs; find me a field you can clear that won't end up running down field mice, snakes, moles, etc.... Even if you pull it off, you're still blasting a habitat).

Accepting that, there are right ways and wrong ways to do that. This video is obviously wrong, but I disagree that killing an animal is wrong by default.
It's not, it is not humane in any way to raise a living being for exploitation and slaughter.

There are better ways to do it, but ultimately it is not humane by definition.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been fully vegan for 6 months today. Most of my concerns with changing my diet and lifestyle dissolved pretty quickly. It's not that hard and I feel so much better about what I consume. And it's been great for my health. I've lost almost 50 pounds.

In all honesty I have not found a milk replacement that I really like. I've tried soy, coconut, almond, and oat. Nothing really hits that same flavor and texture profile of cow's milk. But I can live without it if it means not participating in an industry like this.

Oct 28, 2017
We are all at fault for not campaigning, voting, calling for changes that should happen. And yes, that will be vegans who don't put in that effort too.
What? you're directly funding these industries by continuing to purchase cheese. So yes it does happen because you consume the product.
you're shifting the blame. i pay for the product, it's up to the farmer to treat his animal well. if he doesn't there should be a law that fines him for not doing it so
and the fault lies with the inspectors who accept bribes and pretend to not see anything as well.
i could start boycotting everything because everything is made in china, but it's not my fault if everything is made in china.

would you be fine with the complete extinction of cows, pigs and chickens? just curious don't take it as an attack

Oct 28, 2017

Everything you just said applies even more so to animal agriculture, and on top of that you have the intentional abuse and killing of billions of sentient creatures. As we have no requirement to breed, exploit and kill animals, we are choosing to cause intentional harm and far greater harm overall for our own pleasure and convenience. This position is functionally the same as the guy who goes out and runs over dogs in his car and says "you can't criticise me because sometimes you accidentally hit something during your commute".

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
you're shifting the blame. i pay for the product, it's up to the farmer to treat his animal well. if he doesn't there should be a law that fines him for not doing it so
and the fault lies with the inspectors who accept bribes and pretend to not see anything as well.
i could start boycotting everything because everything is made in china, but it's not my fault if everything is made in china.
If you buy outside of local sources, you are supporting an industry that need a certain efficiency to meet demand. One that always results in suffering. From the extreme we see in the video, to the more regular suffering detailed in this thread.

And even if you use local sources that are not a part of the efficiency machine, they still exploit and kill animals, and many of us no longer need to do that to survive or even enjoy our food.
would you be fine with the complete extinction of cows, pigs and chickens? just curious don't take it as an attack
Animals have gone extinct before. We could also still raise some if we wanted to conserve the species, as we do with other animals.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It's not, it is not humane in any way to raise a living being for exploitation and slaughter.

As opposed to those living beings having never existed at all? Nah, as long as you treat animals right, it's better they lived and were killed for food than didn't live at all. Climate change and such is another matter of course.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ah, so you also discovered the hidden bonus! And congratulations on your new sexy vegan bod.

Have you gone through the expensive process of getting trousers that fit you again? It was a good problem to have.
Haha, yeah, I've had to get a lot of new clothes. I don't mind, I feel so much better now. And through this process I also realized that I was likely lactose intolerant for a long time. Digestion issues completely disappeared when I made the change.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017

I dont understand, you dont want any humans to eat meat anymore?

that's not a plausible goal/solution.

Oct 28, 2017
As opposed to those living beings having never existed at all? Nah, as long as you treat animals right, it's better they lived and were killed for food than didn't live at all. Climate change and such is another matter of course.
Do you feel the same way about dogs bred for fighting? At the end of the day, killing an animal that led a good life seems more of a betrayal than putting one out of its misery. At least the dog probably wanted its suffering to end.

Sorry I was editing my post while you replied.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly disagree. I think it would be better for many of these animals to not live a life of suffering in the industries, at all. Being raised to live under exploitation and suffering to eventually be killed is not something we should champion as good thing just because "they got to exist".

I dont understand, you dont want any humans to eat meat anymore?

that's not a plausible goal/solution.
It very much could be in time if technology developments allow it.

If people need animal products to survive due to geography, climate, health reasons etc... they should use them. However, many of us do not NEED to consume these things and could make that change now. Not only would it reduce the direct suffering and exploitation of animals, it would help reduce impact on our planet.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't know about cows or pigs, but factory farmed broiler chickens cannot really survive as a species because we've bred them to be so grotesque they can't breed properly and have short lifespans. Along with constant joint pain.

Like, it's a creature that should not exist.

Obviously not talking about "regular" chickens, which are little cuddly gifts

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the whole thing so I can be reminded next time I have some cheese.

I've already stopped eating beef, trying to not have chicken or pork as much, but I haven't necessarily fully grasped the impact of dairy.

Thanks for posting this. One thing I learned was about the cow being impregnated via syringe. When you just see cheese there to buy or eat, it's so easy not to think about

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Growing up in Texas I knew many a dairy farmer who would never have beaten an animal like that, stress is generally seen as a bad thing.

But yeah, separating calves from their mothers and bottle feeding them instead, using chains to extract (usually with fatal results) stuck calves, AI, etc were very common.

Beef cattle usually had a better overall life. Many were free range and usually left to themselves save for castrations.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I strongly disagree. I think it would be better for many of these animals to not live a life of suffering in the industries, at all. Being raised to live under exploitation and suffering to eventually be killed is not something we should champion as good thing just because "they got to exist".

I am not talking about Big Dairy, I agree that the life these animals are living in such mega farms is worse than having never existed. I disagree that there's no such thing as ethical livestock farming, is all, which is largely irrelevant anyway since the vast majority of meat and milk is from these mega corporations.

The idea that eating animals is unethical in principle is my disagreement, not in practice.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am not talking about Big Dairy, I agree that the life these animals are living in such mega farms is worse than having never existed. I disagree that there's no such thing as ethical livestock farming, is all, which is largely irrelevant anyway since the vast majority of meat and milk is from these mega corporations.

The idea that eating animals is unethical in principle is my disagreement, not in practice.
Then we will have to agree to disagree, because, unless it's absolutely necessary, I believe the exploitation and killing of animals for their produce is 100% untethical.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
If people need animal products to survive due to geography, climate, health reasons etc... they should use them. However, many of us do not NEED to consume these things and could make that change now. Not only would it reduce the direct suffering and exploitation of animals, it would help reduce impact on our planet.

The food industry isnt driven by "NEED".

If that were true what use would there be in any restaurants or fast food places.

There is no NEED to eat meat, and I'll agree with that.

But peoples cultures and large parts of society revolve around the consumption of animal products and nothing is wrong with that either.

More veggie options have been becoming more and more widespread over the years and that's a good thing, but like many in this thread have stated it's not for everyone.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

If that's the definition of humane you're using, sure. But that's why I said that person was making a semantic argument.

There's a splorf (my own word) way to farm and a wrong way (well, multiple of each). I do not agree that raising cattle for slaughter is, by default, wrong.

Everything you just said applies even more so to animal agriculture, and on top of that you have the intentional abuse and killing of billions of sentient creatures. As we have no requirement to breed, exploit and kill animals, we are choosing to cause intentional harm and far greater harm overall for our own pleasure and convenience. This position is functionally the same as the guy who goes out and runs over dogs in his car and says "you can't criticise me because sometimes you accidentally hit something during your commute".

No, because you're not doing anything with the stray dog. And you're certainly not killing it in a splorf way (again, to get away from the humane dispute). But the actual act (killing stray animals), we do all the time, for good reason. Euthanizing them instead of letting them starve is better imo. That should happen in a vet clinic though.

I also don't really see the point in your argument of "intentional." No matter what crop you're growing, you know going in that you're going to plow a habitat, and likely run down some animals. I don't see how it's much less intentional when a soy bean farmer runs over some field mice with a tractor. It's just the way it has to go.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The food industry isnt driven by "NEED".

If that were true what use would there be in any restaurants or fast food places.

There is no NEED to eat meat, and I'll agree with that.

But peoples cultures and large parts of society revolve around the consumption of animal products and nothing is wrong with that either.

More veggie options have been becoming more and more widespread over the years and that's a good thing, but like many in this thread have stated it's not for everyone.
There are many things wrong with that, as discussed in this thread. Unless you need meat due to geography, climate, medical reasons, etc... your choice to continue to consume meat for pleasure is unethical and wrong.

Of course, we are all a part of unethical things, I am not a saint in this regard at all.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
The irony of your ad hominem, needlessly personal approach is fun... I hope that made you feel momentarily superior. Also the fact my post history on this subject doesn't exist the way you claim, much like your dishonest assessment of my posts ITT... Anyway...
Actually, you've done this exact thing before on this forum when I posted about the importance of channeling support to ethical food sources vs these barbaric commercial operations, only to have you accuse me of being "part of the problem". If anyone's getting their rocks off feeling superior, it's you, self-appointed, fire-and-brimstone prophet of veganism. (I haven't even brought up your ad hominem-style remarks about me in various movie threads.)

If only you'd step off your high-horse long enough to see that those of us doing our best to starve out the inhuman mass production sources are on your (and the animals') side. Rather than demonizing us and condemning us as immoral cogs in the machine.

It is supporting the system, which is all entwined.
Bullshit

Local farms cannot meet demand, the only way for that to happen would be for demand to decrease dramatically... via individuals eating far less or even stopping entirely.
Why do you automatically take it for granted that ethical consumers such as myself haven't cut back considerably from levels of consumption closer to that of the destructive average? I guess if you hold yourself to be some special, crusading paragon, it would just be natural that your targets are all unenlightened barbarians.

Stop stirring up all this unnecessary hostility by turning your brickbats on your allies. It's creating pointless strife.