• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about how everyone's so thirsty for next gen news, and that was a given to happen regardless. We all wanna know what the next 5-8 years of console gaming will look like. But there's another reason so many of us are bummed at the lack of a Sony reveal.

This Q1 is boring as shit.

A long time ago, that was expected. Q1 was the calm down after an insane holiday season. But that hasn't been the case for...at least three years. There was always some big title that was the topic of discussion, if not multiple.

2017: Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, NiOh, For Honor, Horizon: Zero Dawn. March had the Switch launch, Nier: Automata and Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

Okay, that's an anomaly, every year isn't going to have all that. 2018 doesn't begin to compare...but.

2018: Dragon Ball FighterZ, Celeste, Monster Hunter World, Sea of Thieves.

A smaller list, but you can't really discuss 2018 without talking about Dragon Ball FighterZ, Celeste, and especially not Monster Hunter World. Sea of Thieves was contentious but it's done well for MS.

2019 wasn't lacking either: Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Apex Legends.

We're a month and a week into 2020 and what's the biggest game we've seen? Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot? I'm loving that game but holy crap. And the horizon isn't exactly looking friendly in terms of monster releases. The Last of Us II was delayed for people who wanted to play that, FF7 was pushed back only a month but it was pushed back. There's no big tentpole title coming until Ori on March 11th.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's not a BIG problem because by March things will even out, but a bit different than what we're used to.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As you said, The Last of Us PII and FF7R delays are a big part of this feeling.

But it has been a great time for my backlog, I won't lie.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking this yesterday scouring steam for ideas. Couldn't anything new from AAA to indie that looked interesting to me and usually there's at least a few.

So far. .. but we have some good games incoming.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind because last year was pretty packed for me. Also, Animal Crossing will make up for it.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Thank God it's "boring".

Looking at my backlog and I've just started playing Days Gone, Spyro Trilogy and RDR2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 7 was released in Japan, so its been one of the most fun Q1's for me. Haven't been able to stop playing it since I got it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Q1 has a few remaster/collection type releases I am excited about but Doom Eternal is the only big budget game I think coming out in that time which is weird. Delays killed it pretty much, but honestly at this point I think outside of probably 2-3 games (FF7, Doom, TLoU) I am going to be skipping pretty much everything until PS5 is out and get through some of this backlog.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Between Granblue Fantasy Versus and Doom Eternal, I'll have enough to hold my attention.

Roach

Nov 5, 2018
Pillars of Eternity 2 hit consoles so I'll be playing that for awhile, but yeah it's def the weakest Q1 we've had in a few years, although March starts to bring some heavy hitters again, and to be fair it felt weird just how many great games we've been getting so early in the year so if anything this is just a return to normalcy for me.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
My first new game this year I think will be FF7. Working on backlog (also KH3 DLC now) in the meantime.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this rather normal for a new console release years?

The thing is, here's a list of games that are supposed to come out this year:

- Cyberpunk
- FF7: Remake
- The Last of Us Part II
- RE3
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Marvel's Avengers
- Watch Dogs 3

This is just scratching the surface. 2020 is PACKED with huge titles...but most of them skipped January and February. A couple in March, and then April is when we really get started.

Oct 24, 2019
Yeah this year is off to an unbelievably pathetic start. When will companies learn not to set release dates that they can't hit?

The only silver lining is that the latter half of the year will be the best second half of all time most likely (particularly if unannounced games aiming for 2020 don't get spooked and move out of Fall 2020 into 2021).

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I have XGP, so I don't particularly care what's new or not at the minute. Apart from Apex Season 4, of course.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Fine by me. I am so behind on games.

Currently playing Metal Gear 5, Gears 5,....and Devil May Cry.....5.

Then I will try Witcher...3!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
January and February are weak as hell, but March is stacked for me. Ori, Animal Crossing, and Doom Eternal are all day 1 for me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's great though. Able to catch up on old stuff.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
I have enough games to play no complaints here. What I really need is more time in the day.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Maybe for January and February (there's been the final installment of Kentucky Route Zero and Dreams is coming out if Early Access pretty soon), but March more than makes up for things when it comes to 'big' titles: Ori, Doom, Animal Crossing, Nioh 2 and Half Life Alyx

Plus I'm sure there'll be some smaller indie surprises that turn out to be of a high quality

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nothing's coming out, and my wallet couldn't be happier! I have a positively monumental backlog and even with this lull in new releases it's not getting much attention because I'm so fully absorbed in Monster Hunter: Iceborne. They really made Monster Hunter World even better with that one.

This weekend I plan to wrap up Jedi: Fallen Order and maybe finally move forward in Control, which I was loving. The wife just bought Iceborne last night, though..... so maybe not. I also need to play Horizon: Zero Dawn still and God of War. Annnnnd Persona 5! I never finished Doom so I want to start that over and do so before Eternal drops, and I know Animal Crossing will consume my free time once that hits.

So yeah.... no complaints here!

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ori 2 is the next thing coming out I'm waiting for. But there's so many games I've not got around to that I wanted to play so I'm fine. Got HZD recently and have been playing that.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually waiting on Persona 5 Royal after already platinuming vanilla. That's the first game I'm looking forward to this year (March 31st).

Q1's usually suck, but it always feels like the first time every year.

Just a few more weeks until Will of the Wisps ships - hang tight, we got you :)

Oh yeah, Ori 2! That works. lol

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Is it that big a deal? 3 years straight of big stuff, why not have a break and just enjoy some of the games you haven't gotten around to? You gotta have something kicking around in your backlog.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Yep, really dashing my hopes of 2020 rivaling 2017. It could still turn it around of course, but the rest of the year would need to be explosive. 2017 had significant titles every month

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've replayed Witcher 3 and Jedi Fallen Order because there wasn't anything new out. I don't fancy going through my unfinished games in my backlog because if I never finished it in the first place it's generally because I don't want to.

Oct 25, 2017
It's time to save that money now so that wallet won't be crying when those interesting releases are coming closer. Ori 2, Doom Eternal, Nioh 2 and Persona 5 Royal are big releases people are looking forward to this quarter I reckon.