• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to intermission. For obvious reasons, I love all the nuance that's obviously not in the soundtrack. And seeing Satisfied live with the rewind was amazing. Legit feels from the jump. ❤️

Ready to cry every time knowing what's coming, but I'm kinda glad I've listened to it back and forth before watching. The London cast is on point.

It'll be great to hear what my fiancée thinks once it's all said and done.

I'm kinda curious on how a London audience reacts to the King stuff.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Schuyler Sisters has been stuck in my head since the day I saw this, someone please help

WORK

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I don't think British history regards George III very highly, but Hamilton is pretty USA-centric obviously, and I didn't know how it would play.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I adore the show and am so excited to see it one day either touring or on Broadway. Took my wife sometime to get into it as she is in graduate school for history so she has a hard time dividing fact from artistic license when it comes to something like Hamilton. Now, though, I hear her singing some songs from it every so often. I honestly think her loving the Moana soundtrack helped her get over her issues with the musical.

I read the book about 2 years ago and while there are some big deviations and combining of events to make the musical flow better, I was blown away by how much actual dialogue from these men are used. Or at least how they most likely would have used certain language.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm kinda curious on how a London audience reacts to the King stuff.
They love it. As an American living in England, I was wondering how they would take to all the American history in general, but I asked about during intermission and they kinda gloss over it and focus on more of the emotional aspect of it all. I was poking fun at my fiancee in jest mentioning why she didn't know about the Battle of Yorktown and when we kicked the Brits out, but she just turned and said "why would we learn about that?" xD

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this in Dallas for the first time and have purposely avoided all music and coverage about this since I knew i'd see it someday

Boy, what a ride, probably my second favorite musical after Les Mis and that's debatable. I encourage anyone with the means to go see it live to do so, you won't regret it. Have listened to the soundtrack already and you know, I actually like some of the performances of the travelling group more than the OG, but that could just be bias since I just heard it last night

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to BROADWAY!!!!!

During 4th july week. Can't wait. Hope I see at least one OG cast member but doesn't seem likely.

In other news, my daughter got two roles this spring - one as the lead in our local "proper" kid's theater production of "Once on this Island" - I was so proud of her once I realized it wasn't "Timon (as in & Pumba)" from Lion King. But secretly I was more proud of her in her spring break camp production of Hamilton - as - A. Ham! The kids were hilarious and the kid's version of the play is super funny: "The Reynolds Pamphlet was a naughty leaflet about some unfortunate stuff"

BTW this makes me sound like a gallavanting music theater nut. I only like Hamilton and My Fair Lady.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a nice bump haha, I also saw this this week in Dallas!

Shit was amazing going in blind, I'm so glad I stayed away from listening to the soundtrack until after I saw it. The rapping, the singing, the dancing, the costuming, the PEOPLE OF COLOR playing all these white historical figures, and most of all the surprising emotion of the play itself was crazy. I had completely forgotten some of Hamilton's later life events, this thing blew me away.

Listening to the soundtrack with good headphones though is really nice to make out the lyrics and music better.

If I could find another group willing I'd think I would see it again now that I have a good grasp on the visuals and musical aspect of it so I could really just soak all of it in.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to BROADWAY!!!!!

During 4th july week. Can't wait. Hope I see at least one OG cast member but doesn't seem likely.

In other news, my daughter got two roles this spring - one as the lead in our local "proper" kid's theater production of "Once on this Island" - I was so proud of her once I realized it wasn't "Timon (as in & Pumba)" from Lion King. But secretly I was more proud of her in her spring break camp production of Hamilton - as - A. Ham! The kids were hilarious and the kid's version of the play is super funny: "The Reynolds Pamphlet was a naughty leaflet about some unfortunate stuff"

BTW this makes me sound like a gallavanting music theater nut. I only like Hamilton and My Fair Lady.

Damn I'm jealous....

We are going back in June in SF for my daughters birthday. She went to NY and saw the Broadway theater but they didn't have tickets. She did get to see Wicked though.

Thanks to the women in this house it's Broadway Music 24/7.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw Hamilton back in February. I had been listening to the soundtrack quite a bit in the months leading up to the show and my wife on more than one occasion was like what is this crap you're listening too. Well I got tickets and she wasn't excited at all, which was kind of annoying given how hard it was to get tickets and how expensive they were. Well my wife ended up loving it thankfully. It was money well spent and I can't wait to see it again.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm jealous....

We are going back in June in SF for my daughters birthday. She went to NY and saw the Broadway theater but they didn't have tickets. She did get to see Wicked though.

Thanks to the women in this house it's Broadway Music 24/7.

We almost had to cancel for a work thing but I figured out a flight. I stupidly only just realized how much FEELS World Turned Upside Down will cause on the Fourth of July. Time to start dehydration scheme.

Btw I'm from the uk. Technically I'm (now) the immigrant bastard orphan son of a Scotsman (just not a French Huegenot whore) and I once dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence and vacation- we visited Hamilton's house there (Nevis) but tbh he was super obscure back then and while it was fascinating there was nothing like the context there would be now. We were the only visitors in fact. But I befriended a monkey on the beach.

Nevis has a really bad problem with dangerous aggressive and big monkeys on the four seasons golf course and surrounding hills. Even then it felt sketchy as hell. They're baboon sized and befanged and territorial.

Anyhoo long story short Hamilton turned me into a us history buff and more of a patriot than just the grateful immigrant type.

The uk perspective on the revolution is surprisingly generous but unsurprisingly points out things like the Boston tea party being carefully orchestrated by rebels being funded by the contemporaneous equivalents of the Koch Brothers.

SB6gP8K.jpg

Unsurprisingly the locals don't like the ecological and environmentally sound idea of introducing eagles and leopards.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We almost had to cancel for a work thing but I figured out a flight. I stupidly only just realized how much FEELS World Turned Upside Down will cause on the Fourth of July. Time to start dehydration scheme.

Btw I'm from the uk. Technically I'm (now) the immigrant bastard orphan son of a Scotsman (just not a French Huegenot whore) and I once dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence and vacation- we visited Hamilton's house there (Nevis) but tbh he was super obscure back then and while it was fascinating there was nothing like the context there would be now. We were the only visitors in fact. But I befriended a monkey on the beach.

Nevis has a really bad problem with dangerous aggressive and big monkeys on the four seasons golf course and surrounding hills. Even then it felt sketchy as hell. They're baboon sized and befanged and territorial.

Anyhoo long story short Hamilton turned me into a us history buff and more of a patriot than just the grateful immigrant type.

The uk perspective on the revolution is surprisingly generous but unsurprisingly points out things like the Boston tea party being carefully orchestrated by rebels being funded by the contemporaneous equivalents of the Koch Brothers.

lol That's awesome. You know they also have guided walking tours in NY where you go to all the important areas that are mentioned in the musical, including Trinity Church where you see the Hamilton's graves. My daughter did this tour and really appreciated it. There's a guide who talks nonstop with information and every participant has a device that allows you to hear him no matter how far behind in the line you are.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol That's awesome. You know they also have guided walking tours in NY where you go to all the important areas that are mentioned in the musical, including Trinity Church where you see the Hamilton's graves. My daughter did this tour and really appreciated it. There's a guide who talks nonstop with information and every participant has a device that allows you to hear him no matter how far behind in the line you are.

That's a fantastic suggestion! Do you remember the name of the tour or company?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this in Dallas for the first time and have purposely avoided all music and coverage about this since I knew i'd see it someday

Boy, what a ride, probably my second favorite musical after Les Mis and that's debatable. I encourage anyone with the means to go see it live to do so, you won't regret it. Have listened to the soundtrack already and you know, I actually like some of the performances of the travelling group more than the OG, but that could just be bias since I just heard it last night
Interesting take, I saw it in Dallas and have probably listened to the full soundtrack 50+ times before seeing it live. There were parts during the live show that felt rushed and marble-mouthed, and I was glad I knew the underlying lyrics instead of going in blind.

Even knowing every twist and turn, I sobbed like a FUCKING BABY when Philip died. Holy shit at the actor playing him in Dallas, his performance was so much better than Ramos' in my opinion. I also really liked Nick Sanchez as Hammy, even if he did drop a line in the opening song. Apparently he's the understudy for this tour, so I'll cut him some slack. He brought some youth to the role that Lin just couldn't that was well served for Act 1.

Jon Patrick Walker's King George was PHENOMENAL. The fact that his dancing got Walker to break was perfection.

Really disliked Nik Walker's Burr and Marcus Choi's Washington, though. I appreciate that everyone brings something unique to the role, but they didn't do it for me at all.

Overall, super happy I got to see it, amazed at how much it gripped me, and hope all of you with plans to see it get the chance to.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting take, I saw it in Dallas and have probably listened to the full soundtrack 50+ times before seeing it live. There were parts during the live show that felt rushed and marble-mouthed, and I was glad I knew the underlying lyrics instead of going in blind.

Even knowing every twist and turn, I sobbed like a FUCKING BABY when Philip died. Holy shit at the actor playing him in Dallas, his performance was so much better than Ramos' in my opinion. I also really liked Nick Sanchez as Hammy, even if he did drop a line in the opening song. Apparently he's the understudy for this tour, so I'll cut him some slack. He brought some youth to the role that Lin just couldn't that was well served for Act 1.

Jon Patrick Walker's King George was PHENOMENAL. The fact that his dancing got Walker to break was perfection.

Really disliked Nik Walker's Burr and Marcus Choi's Washington, though. I appreciate that everyone brings something unique to the role, but they didn't do it for me at all.

Overall, super happy I got to see it, amazing at how much it gripped me, and hope all of you with plans to see it get the chance to.

See I actually liked Marcus Choi over the OG Washington, as his voice has more gravitas and frankly the OG Washington sounded a bit too similar to Hamilton for my taste.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually yes. I think today's new batch of dates/ticket sales were the last. I think it's ending here in Chicago in January 2019. I know it's playing in Milwaukee shortly after it ends here and I think a few more midwest cities as well. It'll be back in a few years I'm sure.

Thankfully they gave us more time in Chicago and I got to surprise my daughter by taking her to a show on her 14th birthday a couple weeks ago. I went in blind and the shit blew my mind. It's not easy to connect with teenage kids and I think this experience hit the mark for once. I'm not normally into musicals, but I loved Hamilton so much I'm going back and taking my wife this time. :)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife finally told me to stop saying "my dearest, Deborah " in every email and text to her and her sister.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
I got to see it today and it lived up to the hype for me. The choreography for Satisfied was on point.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We have tickets to see it next month-but I also just won two tickets for tomorrow night in the Hamilton app.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it again tonight with my lottery seats-really great but very different with the different performances. This actor, though who played Hamilton- Julius Thomas III WAS UNBELIEVABLE. This guy is going to be a huge star-you could tell this was like seeing a major star before they got famous.

Dd2CPWaUwAApzIH.jpg

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it again tonight with my lottery seats-really great but very different with the different performances. This actor, though who played Hamilton- Julius Thomas III WAS UNBELIEVABLE. This guy is going to be a huge star-you could tell this was like seeing a major star before they got famous.

Dd2CPWaUwAApzIH.jpg
Is that...a camera hidden in his hair? Or does he just have a small robot friend?

Oct 26, 2017
Jealous of all of you. I want to see it one more time before it leaves Chicago, but not sure I will get a chance. I really was not a fan of Washington and was hoping to catch it with a new actor.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I want with my wife a few weeks ago. First time seeing it and we really enjoyed it. She got us tickets via the lottery and won literally within two weeks of first entering. Two tickets for $20? Well worth it.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a chance to see it tonight in Austin. Holy shit it was worth the wait. Best musical I've seen by far. Performances were incredible and it added so much actually seeing it. I've listened to the soundtrack countless times but man, it was like hearing it all again for the first time.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Going to see it for the first time tomorrow evening. Pretty excited to see it. We're taking our daughter and a friend of hers, and they already know all the songs, should be a good time.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any news on that filmed Hamilton performance that was supposed to hit cinemas? I feel like I heard about that forever ago.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it on Broadway a couple of weeks ago. I can safely say it's by far the best broadway show I've ever seen, and I've seen dozens over the past 15 years I've lived in nyc. I can also confidently state that it's one of the best live performances, period, and I've been to tons of concerts, plays, dance, etc across many genres. It's just in a whole other world of creativity, musicality, and entertainment.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went to see it on Broadway during 4th July. We did the 2pm show, but the cast was absolutely incredible. Better than the Seattle tour we saw - maybe not objectively but because I got to enjoy the subtlety of the differences. Our Hercules Mulligan was more low-key, less bombastic but with a kind of scary swagger - and our King was absolutely fantastic. I got the feels right in the verklempts and it's still the only thing that makes me feel patriotic in the dumb heart-swelling sense of the word - and there's zero doubt for me that it's the best musical of our time.

The seats we got (from lottery a long time ago, which is what spurred the trip) were just stunning. Identity of family protected to spare them the shame of being related to me. Tons of people of color (including the betetr two thirds of my fam) in the audience too, which was a really nice difference from the touring show and super important to my daughter who's thinking a lot about her culture and identity at her age. She was finally OK with me being a bastard orphan son of a Scotsman.

5dYQEpl.jpg

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited to see auditions for the Australian production are being held. One of the best musicals of the last 20 years.

Oct 28, 2017
So yeah about these ticket prices...

Its coming to Philly next month but $500 a pop for the cheap seats? I'm a heathen admittedly but this seems rather excessive. I wanna see it with the wife but damn!

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This seems to be the main Hamilton topic on the site, so I just wanna say that through my mother's work connections I got some tickets in Toronto for March 31st. And I could think of no better reason to not kill myself until then. Incoming Hamilton, baybee!

It's crazy that it took til 2020 for the show to come up here but I'm super glad it is. I literally could not be more excited.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
This seems to be the main Hamilton topic on the site, so I just wanna say that through my mother's work connections I got some tickets in Toronto for March 31st. And I could think of no better reason to not kill myself until then. Incoming Hamilton, baybee!

It's crazy that it took til 2020 for the show to come up here but I'm super glad it is. I literally could not be more excited.
Hamilton is great, but please continue not killing yourself after you see it.