• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I died to this boss because I was too focused on the music.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know that final dungeon boss themes in FFXIV get played out because you do lots of dungeons what with the tombstone grind and all, but Insatiable from Shadowbringers is one of my favorites, especially when put into the context of the first time you hear it in Holminster Switch. The way that dungeon is skinned as this constant need to push forward fits with reaching the last boss and that music playing. It's so good and has stuck with me.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Not my favorite FF but its easy to see that XIV has the rest of the series beat hands down. It does kinda cheat a little with just the massive variety and range it has with years of patches and expansions.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017

FF VII is not one of my favorites, but this song ressonates so strongly with me that it makes me emotional everytime. Probably my favorite song of the whole series.
I will never forget walking on the train tracks when this song is playing and finding that bird nest in Mt Corel. It is such a sweet moment.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers theme for me. The "HOOOOME", the distorted vocals, the Eternal Wind. I still let it play on the title screen most of the time I start the game.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
im sorry its clash on the big bridge and it will always be clash on the big bridge

As someone who has never finished a final fantasy past the first few hours, and only has familiarity with the series via cultural osmosis, this is it right here. A lot of the music I see posted is good, but this fuckin' slaps and is the only track from the series I listen to regularly.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Impossible to choose between all these but man I love a Final Fantasy music thread.

An underrated favourite of mine:

Conveys the tone of that section of the game so well. It's quite unique in the series.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I raise you one
Shadowbringers

And one
Hellfire

I honestly love almost all of the series and their themes. But those two have stood out way more for me. I don't think any answer is wrong tho.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's the prologue theme/main theme of the series.

but also to add a new one into the mix

but my favourite is FF7 main theme

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
This thread confirms why this was such a great game:

250px-Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy_Curtain_Call_US_cover.jpg

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
The best Final Fantasy track is impossible for me to nail down with such a huge array of great music in the series. It changes every day. Though today with it recently being the anniversary of XI, I've been listening to songs today and I love this one. Also there is a criminal lack of FFXI songs in here.

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I used to carry a TSSF .it version of this song and a MOD player around on a floppy disk during high school so could play it anywhere I went.

It still gets me pumped!!

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack people REALLY sleep on is XIII-2's.

One of the best final boss themes in the series imo. Caius' theme in general is great.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right game, wrong song.
ffxiv has every ff game beat by a mile.
This is the most beautiful FF theme, makes me cry everytime:
im sorry its clash on the big bridge and it will always be clash on the big bridge
I love how there is so much goddam variety on just page 1. It speaks volumes for how consistently good the series has been on the music front. A lot of people tend to agree on certain highs of the series but she it comes to the music it varies so much

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Not my favorite FF but its easy to see that XIV has the rest of the series beat hands down. It does kinda cheat a little with just the massive variety and range it has with years of patches and expansions.

Bah, not cheating. Maintaining that level of quality over several years is a difficult task.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Anyone who says one winged angel is overrated is not really worth listening to.
No disrespect to "first boss song with lyrics", but you're right, the real answer is Birth of a God!

And here's a fun Remastered version too!

I can't wait until Remake gets to this song, it'll be a million times more hype then Angel.

I have some strong (positive) opinions on FF music, so I'm gonna highlight a ton of unseen bangers throughout this thread.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be hard-pressed to decide the very best FF tracks, but this one really stuck with me in Lightning Returns. This vid is two complimentary tracks: the overworld theme which moves into the battle version of the same theme. Kind of like how PSO transitions between tracks (3:26 is where it goes into the battle theme). Bit of a PSO vibe actually.

Edit:

Last edited:

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019

This capture the sense of an epic adventure much better than the vastly overrated one winged angel.

You could have picked basically any FFVI song and I'd have your back.

That being said: you picked a great example!

I'm also partial to this one for the atmosphere it creates:

And this one because it gets me pumped to track down my friends & kick a mad clown's ass:

It always impresses me what Uematsu accomplished with the SNES soundchip.

(Edited for formatting purposes)