• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'll get this tested at a lab tomorrow but I won't know the results until next week. This is one of many pieces of old removable ceiling panels (30+ years old):

4rH3cSX.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic but I don't want to take it out the bag. There's a whole bunch of fibers which leads me to suspect it's asbestos. Some of the fibers are red and blue though, what's up with that?

Edit: More pics of the bigger pieces that fell down (these are all wet from leaks in the roof):

1VktDpQ.jpg

vixynaC.jpg

This one's soaking wet, the outer layer has degraded:

DYtEe91.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
You could have easily googled it.

www.merryhillenvirotec.com

What Does Asbestos Look like? Asbestos Identification | Merryhill

What does asbestos look like? This guide will help you visually identify asbestos containing materials both inside and outside of buildings.

Looks like fibreglass to me but you need to carry it to a lab.

I did a lot of Googling already and the panels look EXACTLY likes the ones here, from all sides:

www.flickr.com

Asbestos Ceiling Tile Panel

Many requests have been received for example photos of asbestos ceiling tile and ceiling panels. Shown above is one example of an asbestos-containing suspended ceiling panel, one of many types, which are found in a seemingly countless array of surface patterns and textures. More examples of...

It's at least comforting to know it might just be fiberglass though. Test results won't be in for another week so I need to calm down right now.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There was an old world war 2 prisoner of war camp near us when we were kids, it was mainly just rubble and a few skeletal buildings, we used to go there and have mud bomb fights and used the cement ceiling tiles as shields, little did we know they were asbestos ones...

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
I thought we had asbestos in the basement in the isolation around the pipes. I sended samples to a lab, turned it was not asbestos.
Outside of healthscare, there was also the cost associated with the removal of this specific kind of asbestos, which would involve wrapping in the whole basement in plastic ET-style and would cost 10 000's of euros.

I was very happy when I got the results from the lab.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
More pics of the bigger pieces that fell down (these are all wet from leaks in the roof):

1VktDpQ.jpg

vixynaC.jpg

This one's soaking wet, the outer layer has degraded:

DYtEe91.jpg

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
You can add as many pictures as you want, it's impossible to tell without a lab analysis. Asbestos is microscopic. Anyone telling you it "looks like asbestos" either doesn't know what they're talking about, or are fucking with you. This kind of ceiling tiles can have asbestos is them, or not, and they'll look absolutely identical.

Oct 27, 2017
If it's only 30 years old it's very likely that it's not asbestos, I think they stopped using it in the 70's

But good idea to get it tested, you never know

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like generic fiberglass ceiling panel used in a drop ceiling, but just in pretty rough condition. Asbestos was kinda rare to use in ceiling tiles in the last 20, 30 years because fiberglass was/is cheaper by that point and places where those ceiling tiles are commonly used don't really need the insulating/flame retardant qualities of asbestos especially in houses.

I'd recommend posting it on a Home Improvement subreddit... Therre's a lot of "Wtf is this?" posts on those and the people are really helpful and usually right. Ultimately your city/state can probably test it for free for you to confirm.

Last edited:

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
If the tiles are wet the asbestos probably spread less IF IT IS ASBESTOS.

When dealing with something like this, don't take advice from the internet but from professionals.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be any number of fibers, from plastic to carbon - you even find horsehair in building products. Testing is the safest thing to do but you're not limited to asbestos and those fibers look pretty long tbh.