• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
SA21.png

Microsoft's new studio Playground Games now has two offices. One for their Forza Horizon team and another for their action RPG team.

There is a nice little video to show off the studio in the link:
With over a year in the planning our new AAA development studio opened earlier this year in April. The studio is over 17,000 sq. ft, and if network infrastructure is your thing we have 32 kilometres of CAT6A cabling allowing 10 gigabit per second speeds to all desks in the studio. It also features 100 gigabit per second networking speed to servers and two core switches that can mover over 10 billion packets per second. Impressive right?!

The studio also houses two state of the art Dolby Atmos audio suites, not to mention our popular moss 'living walls' in our reception and break-out space. St Albans House is the home of our unannounced title, an open-world action RPG game.

68D4mch.png

uZz8wqA.png

And as a bonus, an interview with Ralph Fulton & Gavin Raeburn from last month, about the new studio:
www.gamesindustry.biz

Playground Games: "Crunch has no place in modern development"

Playground Games is rather busy. The Leamington-based developer is hard at work on an unannounced action-RPG (widely ru…

Since we announced Playground's second studio, the developer has hired roughly 60 people, with plans to reach 200. Two years to hire less than half your intended headcount might seem slow, but Raeburn said this has been both unavoidable and somewhat deliberate.

"When you're hiring at the highest level -- we're hiring top positions and some of the best people around the world -- they don't land at exactly the point you expect them to," he explained. "You have to pull some people in early, some people take a little bit longer. There are a couple of outstanding areas we need to build up, but I'm just astonished at how great and how far along that team is. The key is getting the right people for the job, and we'll take as long as we need... Now that the senior hires are in place, the rest are coming on board at the pace we expected them to."

Fulton added: "When you open a studio, you don't open the floodgates and bring in 200 people to build a team. Ideally, you want to do it top-down -- you want to hire the leadership and then the leads before you hire the people that will fill their teams, and those are the people that are hardest to find. It's slowest going at the start, but it's worth taking your time to find the right people to fill the positions you've got, because that's what will safeguard the team for the future."

Raeburn admits it was particularly difficult in the beginning, when there physically wasn't a studio to interview them in, or when Playground was restricted on what it could tell people about the project, but this wasn't the hindrance he worried it might be. It also suggests Playground's RPG might be at a much earlier stage than some might hope. Given that the studio has managed to attract talent with experience working on Grand Theft Auto V, Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, the Batman: Arkham games, Hellblade and Horizon: Zero Dawn -- to name but a few -- you would think Raeburn might have trouble retaining such highly-sought people. But again, this hasn't been an issue.

"[The people we hire] are fully aware of the timescales we're working to," he said. "We're upfront, and they're fine with that. Everyone we're talking to is so excited to join the team, it's not been an issue. At first, people had to join us just on faith, which they did, and it's much easier now that we're in the new premises."

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playground is responsible for two of my most played games this generation, and two of my all-time favourite racing games (though all 4 are excellent to be fair). I have very high hopes in their second studio and the totally secret project (*wink wink*) they've been working on.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Let's go Playground. Wishing them all the best with their RPG game. Going to be risky but got my full trust in them

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So they had 60 people in their studio by June. Their goal is 200. (from the old interview)

Which would mean they are currently the fourth or third largest studio from XGS and they'll grow to be close to The Coalition in size.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I've been saying this game is a long ways off. It's funny that there were people who legit thought we would see this game this year and be playing it next year. You'll be lucky to get it by 2022. It takes a long time to get a new studio up and a team formed.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited to see what they do. Seems like it is still a few years away, but i expect great things from Playground.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've been saying this game is a long ways off. It's funny that there were people who legit thought we would see this game this year and be playing it next year. You'll be lucky to get it by 2022. It takes a long time to get a new studio up and a team formed.

They've been working on the game since 2017. So it really depends how much they did between 2017 and now. They are further along than The Initiative for sure. I'm guessing 2022. Maybe 2021 if a miracle happens.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, I've seen loads of people expecting Fable to be a Scarlett launch window game. It's mad and unfair to expect a newly built studio to do anything close to that.
They've been working on the game since 2017. So it really depends how much they did between 2017 and now. They are further along than The Initiative for sure. I'm guessing 2022. Maybe 2021 if a miracle happens.
That interview makes it sound like it's not in full production yet. 2021 seems incredibly optimistic.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Remember, this is one of the three studios Microsoft is currently setting up.

• Playground Games - St Albans House / Leamington Spa / UK
  • The Initiative - Santa Monica LA / California / US
  • Age of Empires Studio (name still unknown) / Redmond / Washington / US

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks great. Very excited to see what they come up with. Would have preferred if they were working on a new IP instead of Fable, but I feel pretty confident Fable will be special with them at the helm. As far as I'm concerned Playground Games is easily the best studio in Microsoft's portfolio.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there is going to be some crossover from the RPG studio into the Forza studio.........

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
Lol, i'm really reaching but when I saw the name I instantly thought of it. St. Alban, add i and replace the a with o you get Albion which is a kingdom in Fable.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why exactly are people saying this means the game is a long way off? They'd already started work at the old location before this move.
3 years seems to be the average time to make an AAA game these days, unless stuff enters development hell.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. Very excited to see what they come up with. Would have preferred if they were working on a new IP instead of Fable, but I feel pretty confident Fable will be special with them at the helm. As far as I'm concerned Playground Games is easily the best studio in Microsoft's portfolio.
Despite all the leaks pointing to it being Fable, until they officially confirm it's Fable, there's still a chance it could be a new IP.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Despite all the leaks pointing to it being Fable, until they officially confirm it's Fable, there's still a chance it could be a new IP.

Fair enough. It would certainly be nice to get them on a AAA action RPG that's completely new and fresh. Though even if it is Fable, it could end up being one of the better, if not best releases within the franchise.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. It would certainly be nice to get them on a AAA action RPG that's completely new and fresh. Though even if it is Fable, it could end up being one of the better, if not best releases within the franchise.
Yeah, I just can see a scenario where the direction of the game ends up being so different that they name it something else so that they're not held back by the restraints and expectations of the Fable name.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Why exactly are people saying this means the game is a long way off? They'd already started work at the old location before this move.
3 years seems to be the average time to make an AAA game these days, unless stuff enters development hell.
Setting up a new studio takes a lot of time, especially the hiring part (hiring is often very slow, expensive and difficult in the games industry), as mentioned in the article they are only at 60/200 planned headcount (of course production moves regardless, but 60 isn't exactly a AAA production team yet) and that finding seniors/leads hasn't been easy, even though they have been at it for 2 years now (and if you check the careers page for the project, there's still a ton of director and lead roles that they haven't filled).

3-4 years might be the average for an established studio, but if you're looking at creating a studio from the ground-up I'd say it's much more realistic to look at 5+ years for their first game, especially if you want to do it well and not rush with hires that are available instead of getting the people you need and want.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
As a whole.

I think they are slightly bigger than Rare now. And smaller than 343i and The Coalition.
Obsidian Entertainment is the fifth.

MS need last one AAA and J-RPG studios and is perfect.

343i is big studio of +500 devs

Playground will become a studio of 400 devs.

The coalition is +350 devs

Rare recruit a lot, going to be +-300 devs

The initiative +-200-300 devs from here the release of their next game

Obsidian with a Skyrim Like project he will recruit a lot, there are 200 devs now.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah of all new Xbox games I can't wait to see this being revealed eventually. Whether it's Fable or something brand new I don't care.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
In my view, this title will be Massively important to the success of the new Xbox Scarlett console and could be a turning point for Microsoft who would love to have a GOTY-class contender, ala God of War, Spider-Man or HZD.

Playground are insanely talented and I sense this project could be something big in the making.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
MS need last one AAA and J-RPG studios and is perfect.

343i is big studio of +500 devs

Playground will become a studio of 400 devs.

The coalition is +350 devs

Rare recruit a lot, going to be +-300 devs

The initiative +-200-300 devs from here the release of their next game

Obsidian with a Skyrim Like project he will recruit a lot, there are 200 devs now.
You have unrealistic expectations on how large they will become

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playground Games will be close to a 400 person studio.
The Coalition already is a 350+ dev studio, just like 343i is 450+ people.
Rare is currently at 240 devs, Obsidian is at 200 devs.

Only one we don't know about is The Initiative.

I look at those developer numbers and wonder what on Earth it is they are all doing.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the opening "race to the festival" sequence of forza horizon 1 singlehandedly made me understand why people like cars. these guys seem like a good dev imo

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I look at those developer numbers and wonder what on Earth it is they are all doing.

Making games. :P

343i is working on Halo Infinite, which is set to be quite a big game. The Coalition is working on three games. With Gears 5 being a big one, with 5 different modes. Rare is working on Sea of Thieves ( ~150-180 developers), Battletoads and a new unannounced game (the other ~60) PG has two teams.

That's what's so interesting about next gen. They'll have a lot of creative talent. They've doubled Rare and Playground Games. Undead Labs almost doubled. They'll be able to create a lot more content than this gen.