• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The story is so over-the-top grimdark as to enter unintentional parody territory - that mission where you're rescuing the lieutenant sticks out as one that made me go "you can't possibly be serious" at how it ended - but the gameplay, especially for Trickster, was so damn good. And hey, it's Gamepass, and crossplay, so I'm there day 1.

Unintentionally? Ummm... you sure about that?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I know people hate on Games as a service all the time, but 60 Eurobucks for what is basically a GAAS without any GAAS advantages (but to be fair, also hopefully without the annoyances), which is free on Xbox, seems.. courageous.

It'll probably do fine on Series consoles, but.. yeah, idk.

This seems weird.

"Paying full price for a full game that is not a GAAS seems courageous."

Unless 60euros is higher than full price?

DanCon

Oct 30, 2017
not seen anything from this game that catches my attention...it all feels very paint by numbers in terms of aesthetic and design :-/ might check it out further down the road if it lives long enough

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
They play it a little too straight in the intro and most of the subsequent stuff for me to really think they're deliberately satirizing the genre.

If I remember right mission that you were referring to in original post that particular cutscene same time was very intentionally set up to have that dark humor moment with officer getting sniped. At least to me it came across as very intentional setup.

Also protagonist isn't particularly shooting it straight with the mood, a lot comedical quips etc. in face of what otherwise would be serious situations.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember right mission that you were referring to in original post that particular cutscene same time was very intentionally set up to have that dark humor moment with officer getting sniped. At least to me it came across as very intentional setup.

Also protagonist isn't particularly shooting it straight with the mood, a lot comedical quips etc. in face of what otherwise would be serious situations.
That moment being darkly comedic and it being satire are kind of different things, I feel.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
That third armor tho

schermafbeelding2021-01jka.png
Man theres just something about this game armor and guns that annoys me like my eyes doesnt know where to settle. Kinda like those ai created images that play with your brain.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I never had the impression they're doing satire, no, they try too hard with their story and the world building because they want you to take it seriously, and so far its the worst part of the game cause i sure dont care about any of all that

Borderlands this ain't

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I never had the impression they're doing satire, no, they try too hard with their story and the world building because they want you to take it seriously, and so far its the worst part of the game cause i sure dont care about any of all that

Borderlands this ain't

I feel like nuance is being completely loss in the conversation.

Yes, there are parts of the story they want you to take seriously. However there are plenty of moments that are meant to poke fun at it as well.

This isn't a zero sum game. You can have aspects of both.

Your MC saving a person and then getting annoyed that their one-liner they've been practicing in their head was ruined isn't the game trying to be serious.

Lord Seth explaining what he's trying to do is playing it straight and trying to be serious.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, so far, I'm not blown away - it looks and plays well enough, the shooting is fairly satisfying, but the story has not grabbed me in any way, and the setting seems quite bland so far. Remnant wasn't particularly stellar in the story or environment departments either, but then it had no pretences about that, and let them sit firmly in the back seat so the gameplay could take the forefront, which I appreciated.

Same. The story and setting were my only downsides to the demo but never completely outweighed the positives. It's definitely not my cup of tea in that regard. I'm tempted but with no one I know to play with, its a hard sell for full price. Once it was all "wooo were all crazy now, mad max and football gear and leather baby, WOOOOOOO ANARCHY LIKE THAT CLOWN GUY!!! WOOOO" I almost instantly turned it off. I'm always down for a looter game, but ehhhhhhhhhh.

Really have not been more on the fence about a game in ages.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people hate on Games as a service all the time, but 60 Eurobucks for what is basically a GAAS without any GAAS advantages (but to be fair, also hopefully without the annoyances), which is free on Xbox, seems.. courageous.

It'll probably do fine on Series consoles, but.. yeah, idk.

I dunno. Outriders reminds me most of something like Borderlands, which is quite a popular franchise (the third game sold like eight million copies in a few months) and that's definitely not a game as a service.

Obviously it will get few to no direct sales on Xbox, but I think it'll do fine on PC and Playstation. We haven't had a solid third person shooter for a while, the superpowers are legitimately fun and it has both co-op and crossplay.

It also helps that the protagonist is hilarious.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Finished the demo last night, had way more fun than I thought I would have. Definitely going to be there day 1 (of course, Gamepass makes this an easy decision).

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I feel like games are just so lame the last few months.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I wish I could get excited for this game, but the armor and weapon designs just look awful to me. If it gets great reviews I might check it out.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Games story is one of the main reasons I am looking forward to it.
Gonna be hilarious.

I think the mystery is honestly legit interesting.

Also I think Lord Seth has potential. Dude is an asshole and has a god-complex but is seemingly aware enough of "bigger bads" to not go all crazy on the good guys. I'm interested to see where that goes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think the mystery is honestly legit interesting.

Also I think Lord Seth has potential. Dude is an asshole and has a god-complex but is seemingly aware enough of "bigger bads" to not go all crazy on the good guys. I'm interested to see where that goes.
Wherever it goes, my MC is gonna be all "Why do I even bother?" XD

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
The game's story isn't particularly a draw for me but that's fine. It tends to be hard to wrap a story in the context of looters games which really only need a small incentive to string together battlegrounds for nearly endless waves of enemies. Bulletstorm had a surprisingly fun and engaging story. But that same tone probably hews a little too close to Borderlands for them to have tried it here. The story here seems completely serviceable but didn't especially motivate me during the demo. I actually liked it a bit more pre-anamoly as it reminded me a little of mass effect andromeda or something.

But like I said, story is always secondary for me in this genre. I played the campaign of Destiny 2 when that initially came out and I hated it. (I'm generally not a fan of destiny period) I never knew what was going on or cared one lick about any of it. So I doubt it could be any worse than that.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Story is no masterpiece considering all games, but it is imo vs Destiny and Division, hell I feel like I have more character than Borderlands since the characters in that only get fleshed out in sequels.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The Story is no masterpiece considering all games, but it is imo vs Destiny and Division, hell I feel like I have more character than Borderlands since the characters in that only get fleshed out in sequels.

I don't want to judge the game as a whole just with the demo but "hey its that guy who was polish" isn't amazing character development either

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to judge the game as a whole just with the demo but "hey its that guy who was polish" isn't amazing character development either
Mainly talking about the player, and anything is better than completely mute, and occasionally making a face when someone mentions the darkness is coming.

And vs borderlands, Shira and Jakub already consider the player more of an entity than any NPC considers a BL3 character to be one. In my eyes anyway.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
This game has one of the worst cover systems I have ever come in contact with. There is a 50% chance that your character will just stand there like a dummy and not go into cover when pressing the cover button. I'm not shitting you.

I'm on PC with a controller (dual sense).

Unreal.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This game has one of the worst cover systems I have ever come in contact with. There is a 50% chance that your character will just stand there like a dummy and not go into cover when pressing the cover button. I'm not shitting you.

Unreal.

You're not meant to be in cover tho.
I only ever used the cover in the tutorial, when you have to.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018

Unreal.

While it's best not to be in cover given the way you get health back, this is something the devs have said they aim to have fixed in the full release. We'll see if it's true in about a week.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered that myself.
Obviously it's not great that there's the option and (as you say) it's not working consistently, but it's honestly not a cover shooter.
We don't know that yet.

In the demo, the cover is basically useless, yeah. It's all about going in, and starting your dps cycle.

But we don't know yet how things will work in the highest tiers. If we need to cover during the hardest content, and that the cover stays really bad & clunky like it is right now... it will suck. Big time.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
We don't know that yet.

In the demo, the cover is basically useless, yeah. It's all about going in, and starting your dps cycle.

But we don't know yet how things will work in the highest tiers. If we need to cover during the hardest content, and that the cover stays really bad & clunky like it is right now... it will suck. Big time.

Fair point.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
We don't know that yet.

That could become an issue, but same time game is designed around being aggressive and in the face of the enemy at all times. All classes have healing mechanics build around aggression instead of passive concrete block hugging. That wont 180 on its head all of sudden in end game content.

There was also that "Pillars of Outriders" type of trailer that I saw few weeks ago which also underlined it hard that you are supposed to be get into enemies faces.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018

Unreal.

Aiming and firing felt just as bad to me honestly. Bounced off the demo real quick, especially after playing Destiny2 and Division 2 on my PS5.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That could become an issue, but same time game is designed around being aggressive and in the face of the enemy at all times. All classes have healing mechanics build around aggression instead of passive concrete block hugging. That wont 180 on its head all of sudden in end game content.

There was also that "Pillars of Outriders" type of trailer that I saw few weeks ago which also underlined it hard that you are supposed to be get into enemies faces.
Yes and i hope you're correct, but that doesn't change the fact that they added a mechanic that is clunky as fuck. If it's useless, they should remove it. But leaving something that bad in a game isn't a good idea at all. We'll see how it is at launch anyway.

Edit : And the game would be way better in terms of movement if the run/cover was just like in Gears, with cancels and wall bouncing. That's a real missed opportunity for a supposed "useless" mechanic.

Oct 27, 2017
This game has an awkward build up and intro but is a lot of fun. I enjoy the Trickster but I think the Pyro is probably better suited for my style.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
The shooting is rough, but cool downs come up so fast I don't care.

It satisfies that Group Em and Nuke Em AoE feeling I enjoy from years of tanking and DPSing.

I enjoyed every class once I capped the demo and found some mods. I enjoyed seeing my power scale while farming the repeatable quests. Helped paint a picture of the full experience.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The writing/characters in the demo for Outriders were laughably bad. I'm happy for you that you like the game, and I think generally the combat is pretty fun, but there was not a single character/quest/line of dialogue in the demo that was better than mediocre. The story set-up is also nothing to write home about. I get the feeling you haven't played Destiny in years because people who think Destiny doesn't have a good story/characters anymore are usually the ones who don't actually play it regularly. It has long since had great world building, lore, and characters. All of which Outriders does not have going for it so far if the demo is any indication.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
The writing/characters in the demo for Outriders were laughably bad. I'm happy for you that you like the game, and I think generally the combat is pretty fun, but there was not a single character/quest/line of dialogue in the demo that was better than mediocre. The story set-up is also nothing to write home about. I get the feeling you haven't played Destiny in years because people who think Destiny doesn't have a good story/characters anymore are usually the ones who don't actually play it regularly. It has long since had great world building, lore, and characters. All of which Outriders does not have going for it so far if the demo is any indication.

I played the Destiny 2 campaign and thought it was awful. If the story improves that's cool but what I played gave me zero desire to further explore that universe or invest any thought in it. That's cool if others feel differently however.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah Destiny 2 campaign was horseshit. To see it being held up as a shining example of good narrative is quite bizarre.