• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
The story isn't grabbing me in any way whatsoever, and there's a lot of jank, but if my friends decide to jump in, I'm all for it. Seems like a great loot co-op romp. And I went trickster in the demo and quickly realized that the up close and personal Gears like shotgun shredding method would be my path.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I see the typical engineer class is there. Turrets and all.... Welp there goes my main! (if I get this game..still not sure about it).

šŸ˜—

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
The video was way too long ! gonna try it ! since it look good in a way ( didn't try the demo yet), i thought the game was looking better graphicaly, but in some scene, the texture etc...didn't look pretty ( but the game in itself seem fun)

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Played the demo a little bit more and i think IĀ“m there day 1 on GamePass.
Game is sometimes janky but overall a lot of fun.
Hopefully i can convince some of my friends to jump in.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
My friends won't play it, no doubt on that. I don't know if this is viable in solo or does it lose some of its appeal.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I picked up the demo just to see how it plays - Remnant: From The Ashes is one of my fave games from last gen, so I was hoping this could scratch the same itch being a third-person shooter with multiplayer and magic powers.

Honestly, so far, I'm not blown away - it looks and plays well enough, the shooting is fairly satisfying, but the story has not grabbed me in any way, and the setting seems quite bland so far. Remnant wasn't particularly stellar in the story or environment departments either, but then it had no pretences about that, and let them sit firmly in the back seat so the gameplay could take the forefront, which I appreciated.

I think I'll give the demo another shot, as a different class - I'm a pyro at the moment, which is fun enough, but maybe one of the other classes might draw me in a bit more. If I had an Xbox I'd be happy to play it via gamepass, but sadly I'm on PS5, so I'll have to see if it grabs me properly before I consider buying it.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I picked up the demo just to see how it plays - Remnant: From The Ashes is one of my fave games from last gen, so I was hoping this could scratch the same itch being a third-person shooter with multiplayer and magic powers.

Honestly, so far, I'm not blown away - it looks and plays well enough, the shooting is fairly satisfying, but the story has not grabbed me in any way, and the setting seems quite bland so far. Remnant wasn't particularly stellar in the story or environment departments either, but then it had no pretences about that, and let them sit firmly in the back seat so the gameplay could take the forefront, which I appreciated.

I think I'll give the demo another shot, as a different class - I'm a pyro at the moment, which is fun enough, but maybe one of the other classes might draw me in a bit more. If I had an Xbox I'd be happy to play it via gamepass, but sadly I'm on PS5, so I'll have to see if it grabs me properly before I consider buying it.
For me the Pyro (at least in the demo) was the weakest class. Both Technomancer and Trickster are really fun. Have not tried the Devastator yet.

My friends won't play it, no doubt on that. I don't know if this is viable in solo or does it lose some of its appeal.

If you find "let's play this as aggressively as possible to get to the best loot as fast as possible" interesting, then it might be a lot of fun playing solo.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I was sort of ignoring this until the Squeenix thing yesterday. Now looking like a day one, although I do have a fondness for this sort of game having even loved Godfall and Destiny.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I enjoyed the demo but found the controls frustrating. A number of times I'd get stuck with a bunch of enemies coming at me or not being able to roll out the way of a grenade despite hammering the button, or not moving to, or staying in, cover when I'm trying to. Part of this might be to blame on how I'm used to how Gears works (which is perfect IMO) or even a game like Uncharted, so then this takes a bit of getting used to with the "aim to cover" type mechanic - but it just doesn't seem very consistent.

It also felt like the game is heavily designed for co-op, and I can imagine the difficulty and enjoyment will be somewhat impacted playing it single player (as I will be doing).

Would I be buying it day one without Game Pass? Not a chance. But with Game Pass, given the demo progress carries over, I'll definitely give it some more of my time.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the demo but found the controls frustrating. A number of times I'd get stuck with a bunch of enemies coming at me or not being able to roll out the way of a grenade despite hammering the button, or not moving to, or staying in, cover when I'm trying to. Part of this might be to blame on how I'm used to how Gears works (which is perfect IMO) or even a game like Uncharted, so then this takes a bit of getting used to with the "aim to cover" type mechanic - but it just doesn't seem very consistent.

It also felt like the game is heavily designed for co-op, and I can imagine the difficulty and enjoyment will be somewhat impacted playing it single player (as I will be doing).

Would I be buying it day one without Game Pass? Not a chance. But with Game Pass, given the demo progress carries over, I'll definitely give it some more of my time.

honestly, I think releasing a demo like this did them a ton of good. I think if they released the game without a demo, people would've been pissed at the product and word of mouth would've been horrible. However, they let people see it- faults and all- with the perk of making fixes on their end and carrying progress for us.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Honestly, they should have another video showing off a few character build possibilities. Its a decent overview, but it definately doesn't have enough time to get into that stuff.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That third armor tho

schermafbeelding2021-01jka.png

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I was interested in the story when it was about this last group of humans colonizing a strange alien world and liked the story a lot less
post time skip
and the story becoming the most generic feeling thing ever.

Gameplay wise, I'm not sure. I'm playing as the one that does melee/timewarping related stuff, and those moves are satisfying but the core shooting doesn't feel especially great?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I know people hate on Games as a service all the time, but 60 Eurobucks for what is basically a GAAS without any GAAS advantages (but to be fair, also hopefully without the annoyances), which is free on Xbox, seems.. courageous.

It'll probably do fine on Series consoles, but.. yeah, idk.

Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo on Series X and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, definitely giving it a shot on Game Pass.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know people hate on Games as a service all the time, but 60 Eurobucks for what is basically a GAAS without any GAAS advantages (but to be fair, also hopefully without the annoyances), which is free on Xbox, seems.. courageous.

And what about the advantages of not being a GAAS?

Less worry about very long term balance and more focus on being fun?
No mechanics designed to get FOMO out of users?
No micro-transactions either

I think that stuff is exactly what people are looking for.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands

Eurobucks, lol.

I get your point, but the game isn't free on Xbox. It's locked behind a paid subscription.

But yeah, Game Pass is currently such a good deal that it might as well be considered free compared to the alternatives. ;)

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Pre-ordered back in December, I will be playing this a lot.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Game still doing good on Steam as pre order. Since the demo release its all the time in the top of global top seller list

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that it isn't a GAAS is definitely an attraction for me. There are some GAAS games I'm fine with but GAAS design introduces just as many flaws as advantages it brings imo. And in some cases I absolutely do not want to be on another gaas designed never ending treadmill.

This isn't to crap on GAAS for people who love that style of game, but it also has its turn offs for some consumers like me.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
And what about the advantages of not being a GAAS?

Less worry about very long term balance and more focus on being fun?
No mechanics designed to get FOMO out of users?
No micro-transactions either

I think that stuff is exactly what people are looking for.
Exactly, a 30-ish hour action romp with an engaging loot system the whole way sounds fantastic to me, even if the voice acting and cutscene direction all are awful. I get if folks are a bit tentative to drop $60 on it given the lack of polish in some areas, but I'll be there on Day 1 on Game Pass.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
Honestly, I was sort of ignoring this until the Squeenix thing yesterday. Now looking like a day one, although I do have a fondness for this sort of game having even loved Godfall and Destiny.
you don't need to state that you "even loved" Destiny, because that implies it's generally disliked. Destiny is one of the most popular games on the planet, lol. That being said, we're in the same boat. I generally love the looter genre and really enjoyed the demo for Outriders.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
you don't need to state that you "even loved" Destiny, because that implies it's generally disliked. Destiny is one of the most popular games on the planet, lol. That being said, we're in the same boat. I generally love the looter genre and really enjoyed the demo for Outriders.

Meant to say Anthem lol.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't quite get what kind of game it is. Is it a grind pve game like warframe, a narrative focused game with coop like gears of war, a diablo coop shooter like remnant from the ashes and hellgate london?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't quite get what kind of game it is. Is it a grind pve game like warframe, a narrative focused game with coop like gears of war, a diablo coop shooter like remnant from the ashes and hellgate london?

It's a Looter game with a focus on story and endgame.

Is there any word on whether they will be adding a PvP mode down the line?

I don't think they've said but considering the loot is balanced solely for PvE (so many would be completely busted in PvP), it's unlikely without a complete rework of the loot system.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The story is so over-the-top grimdark as to enter unintentional parody territory - that mission where you're rescuing the lieutenant sticks out as one that made me go "you can't possibly be serious" at how it ended - but the gameplay, especially for Trickster, was so damn good. And hey, it's Gamepass, and crossplay, so I'm there day 1.

Oct 27, 2017
The story is so over-the-top grimdark as to enter unintentional parody territory - that mission where you're rescuing the lieutenant sticks out as one that made me go "you can't possibly be serious" at how it ended - but the gameplay, especially for Trickster, was so damn good. And hey, it's Gamepass, and crossplay, so I'm there day 1.
Sounds like a People Can Fly game!

I thought the same thing during the end of that mission haha

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I don't feel like it takes itself too seriously though. There's plenty of moments that are intended to be funny, I'd even say that scene specifically was trying to be too.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah i liked the demo, dont care.about the story i skipped all dem cutscene and shits, i played the devastator that class is fun to play next week with gamepass imma be playing that game like crazy

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I havent seen the game since first revealed, seems interesting, ez gamepass game tbh glad its launching on the service