• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Very impressive but I always find something slightly off with even good deep fakes. I think it's the lighting, it always seems flat, as though the subject is plastered in foundation.

I guess it's probably because you can't apply sub-surface scattering to a 2d image so it's as though the light isn't being bounced back properly off the face.

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Very impressive but I always find something slightly off with even good deep fakes. I think it's the lighting, it always seems flat, as though the subject is plastered in foundation.

I guess it's probably because you can't apply sub-surface scattering to a 2d image so it's as though the light isn't being bounced back properly off the face.

Yeah, that is one thing I agree on.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I think that's it.

The face looks like a jpg (sort of like LA Noire's face tech) next to genuine people.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
lol not even close

he's moving wayyy too fast. Obvious as hell. A few tweaks would help but it's still solidly in the uncanny valley.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
the ratio between head neck and shoulders seems off, as well as the lighting a bit,but looks pretty good overall

Impressive stuff

Also scary lol

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
That would fool a person who has never seen Tom Cruise. Big face on a little head and body type isn't spot on, that is the most important part if you want to add tom's face to someone else.

Oct 26, 2017

Lighting and sillouette is almost always off, in this case the proportions aren't right either.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The deep fake while impressive, does break a lot in that video, but we are not far off it being super convincing even at high production standards like what Corridor produces.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

It was instantly obvious the moment he walked in the door. There is a "seam" around the face like someone was wearing a mask. Its especially noticable whenever he or the camera move from side to side.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His voice/impression is fantastic, the Stallone / Terminator 2 below is a better deep fake overall, I actually don't think the Tom Cruise one is very good.