• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Doom 2
Level 30: Icon of Sin
Starting the level with every single weapon, ammo, and powerups all right in front of you in a small room with a teleporter.
30.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Walking through a boss door in Mega Man (feels more epic if your on the final boss or have traversed through a long and hard stage).

The most epic moments in Yakuza usually have the main character and his adversary remove their shirts in one swift motion for some reason. Couple that with a badass piece of boss music and awesome dynamic fight intro and I get hyped every single time.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Asura's Wrath.

Asura "dies" and you see a long cutscene. Next thing you know you are playing with Yasha and everything becomes anime JoJo Sonic. I literally stood up in my den, controller in hand, mouth agape, and relished the moment.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The climax of Shenmue 2. Deep spoilers for those who never played:

You have finally come face to face with Dou Niu, the crime boss who owns Kowloon, at top the walled city. Dou Niu has kidnapped Yuanda Zu and Lan Di is in a helicopter above waiting to land to take Zu. Before he'll land, he wants to watch Dou Niu kill you on the roof.

You go through a fight with Dou Niu and he's proving to be pretty much invincible. Your attacks seem to have no effect on him. He gets serious midway through the battle and starts attempting to tackle you off the building, pushing you over the side. You keep dodging his attempts to throw you off the roof through one of the most intense QTEs in the game.

Ryo is frantically trying to figure out a way to win, when he recalls the words of Master Xiuying during their training earlier in the game. He recalls the move she used to easily defeat Ryo in their first encounter, and how she told him to relax and empty his mind, something he hasn't been able to do all game.

He closest his eyes, and lets out breath...

CoordinatedFreshHawk-small.gif

Lan Di looks on in silence from above as Ryo stares back at him. Lan Di's stare says it all -- he recognizes the move, and suddenly takes Ryo much more seriously.

Shenmue 2 has another moment sort of like this, where after a long part of his hectic journey, after finally having a moment of downtime in a long while, Ryo practices Tai Chi atop a mountain in silence:

The words and philosophies of his masters finally beginning to take hold in his mind.

Jun 17, 2018
God Of War (2018) spoiler.

When Kratos takes a seriously ill Atreus to Freya and she tells him he needs to go to Helheim and that his axe won't work.

The moment she says "you'll need something not of this realm" I started tingling all over, I knew what was coming but the slow boil of the boat trip and Hera taunting him just built the sensation, then you see the Blades Of Chaos again we're just about there, that one last final disdainful walk through Hera's specter to see an arc of drauger arrayed in front of Kratos' home and then the game finally lets you off the chain and you absolutely go to town on them with the iconic blades.

I can't remember a recent game getting me that pumped up

This, this all day! Definitely gets the blood pumping!

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
God Of War (2018) spoiler.

When Kratos takes a seriously ill Atreus to Freya and she tells him he needs to go to Helheim and that his axe won't work.

The moment she says "you'll need something not of this realm" I started tingling all over, I knew what was coming but the slow boil of the boat trip and Hera taunting him just built the sensation, then you see the Blades Of Chaos again we're just about there, that one last final disdainful walk through Hera's specter to see an arc of drauger arrayed in front of Kratos' home and then the game finally lets you off the chain and you absolutely go to town on them with the iconic blades.

I can't remember a recent game getting me that pumped up

...thats not hera

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Walking to the entrance of the Elite Four in any Pokémon game, intense music, fighting your way through Victory Road, being locked in and not allowed to go back. So good

Oct 27, 2017
The Wonderful 101 when you press A to defend Earth

Ace Attorney 3, when
there's only one piece of evidence left to present and the Cornered theme from the first game starts playing

This has to be one of the best videogame moments period. Especially when
ghost Mia shouts objection alongside Phoenix at the same time

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
So many moments in God of War (2018).

Additionally:

When you fly the ship through the Reaper in the first Mass Effect.

When you battle Vah Ruta in BOTW.

Going Super Saiyan in FFXV when Luna dies.

"Would you kindly" in Bioshock.

When you escape Songbird in Bioshock Infinite and take down that tower.

The final battle in Spider-Man (2018).

Mushroom Kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Nothing will ever beat that part in RDR2

When the music began, I was in tears.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Every Monster Hunter game.

When you're fighting some unfathomably massive elder dragon and you hit the button for the Dragonator.

And some version of this starts playing.

Oct 25, 2017
The first example that came into my head was the end of Tales of Symphonia, it just nailed that "final showdown" vibe for me. The leadup to the fight with
Kratos
over the Material Blade.

Aside from that, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the end of route A or the end of route B (or is it the beginning of route C) of NieR Automata. Or the end of route D.

Edit: Also surprised that I haven't seen anyone mention the final showdown in Persona 5.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The bit about James McCloud was so good. When he calmly says "Never give up. Trust your instincts.", just like Peppy has been saying to you from the beginning (and you realize Peppy got it from him, of course), it's such a great bookend.

The Wonderful 101 when you press A to defend Earth

This is my pick too, although the game gets like one every stage (with wonderful themes like Tables Turn or Intertwined to go with them).

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit -
SWAT storms Jericho
. Was pretty "holy shit this is it" levels

This, and also Connor's mission to
infect the androids at CyberLife.
Of course, due to the nature of the game some people didn't see that part.

I felt Detroit had a little bit of anticlimax after these two points, but maybe it was because I screwed up 2 out of the 3 ending scenes (I screwed up the Connor one because the game kind of put me in an impossible situation though, so that it's not really my fault.
Hank asked Connor what his son's name was as some kind of test, but I had never learned his name so he shot Connor, which was pretty BS to be honest).
Still a pretty good pick.

Edit:
Another very defining moment, good pick.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shit mechanic because it's purely a gear check but getting to the final DPS phase of a Destiny Raid boss is the ultimate "this is it."

If you've been doing the raid blind you've likely scratched and clawed your way to this moment surviving by the skin of your teeth and at that moment everyone on your team lines up with their best gear ready to give everything they've got. 6 players drop supers, start sniping, launching rockets, in a massive flurry of damage and either you fail and go back to the drawing board and rage quit or let out triumphant cheers and celebrate with your 5 other teammates.

It can take tens of hours to get to that point in the Raid. It's a moment that will hang with you for the rest of the week, it's really awesome clearing a raid for the first time. I still remember that feeling taking down Oryx for the first time after failing the DPS check the previous week.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chiefarbiter.jpg

I know it's not the last mission but it felt like the trilogy's "holy shit this it all or nothing" moment and so iconic for Halo.