• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Moving and shooting is bad in Anthem, but good in other games? Can't even make sense of this. Anthem is way more mobile than Destiny, Division, or Borderlands.
It won't make sense if you don't try to understand what I'm trying to say about how much time you spend in combat just being still or strafing. ALL that mobility doesn't mean jack if at the end of the day I have to stop doing that for a large amount of time in combat to hover/stand in one place so that I can do some damage. I mean just look at any Storm Javelin videos where the dude is simply hovering in the air slowly for almost the entire duration of the combat you don't see him move much at all and yea it looks cool. And your actual character movement speed while aiming/shooting is also slower than even Division a game with pretty much no mobility and I say this from experience of playing the game. This is one of the things I like the most about Destiny. I look at something like the Vault encounter where I am constantly having to move, jump and shoot....despite the inferior mobility in Destiny you spending so much more time actually moving around in the map in an encounter like that it feels very organic and like clockwork.

Now I've specifically given you an example, and if you still don't see what I'm referring to then I can't say anything more I guess, so no point discussing further.

Jan 10, 2018
Now that's what I call actual classes. And the best thing is that you can change class AND loudout at any time. That's one of the best features of this game for sure.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It won't make sense if you don't try to understand what I'm trying to say about how much time you spend in combat just being still or strafing. ALL that mobility doesn't mean jack if at the end of the day I have to stop doing that for a large amount of time in combat to hover/stand in one place so that I can do some damage. I mean just look at any Storm Javelin videos where the dude is simply hovering in the air slowly for almost the entire duration of the combat you don't see him move much at all and yea it looks cool. And your actual movement speed while aiming/shooting is also slower than even Division a game with pretty much no mobility and I say this from experience of playing the game. This is one of the things I like the most about Destiny. I look at something like the Vault encounter where I am constantly having to move, jump and shoot....despite the inferior mobility in Destiny you spending so much more time actually moving around in the map in an encounter like that it feels very organic and like clockwork.

Now I've specifically given you an example, and if you still don't see what I'm referring to then I can't say anything more I guess, so no point discussing further.
Skip to about 36 minutes in this Twitch video (if it doesn't already link there). You'll see some pretty mobile combat against an enemy on hard. Even against a largely stationary enemy around the 44mn mark, you have to stay pretty mobile.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
... Destiny movement is incredibly slow and floaty. Sorry not seeing it at all. Anthem has jet flight, barrel rolling, hovering, double and triple jumps, dodging while hovering and on the ground; and it's faster than Destiny. It's fine if you just have a preference for the slower grounded gameplay. Maybe you just haven't seen someone good play the game because they move around constantly.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Looks very derivative and unoriginal. It's actually really heavily based on Destiny and other online games services. Does not looking interesting to me at all. Bioware games used to have character. This game doesn't have any of that.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This is looking better and better, how am I supposed to find the time for Destiny, The Division, and possibly Anthem? Seems almost impossible.

March is going to be nuts. Anthem in full swing + Division 2 launch + Destiny 2 Joker's Wild launch. It's an insane year for loot shooters, especially if Borderlands 3 ends up sneaking into this Fall.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
The more I see of it the better it looks, but I'm still gonna wait and see. Not getting burned by this game, but I wanna love it so bad. Some real competition will be good for Destiny.

This is looking better and better, how am I supposed to find the time for Destiny, The Division, and possibly Anthem? Seems almost impossible.
Probably by cutting out a lot of Destiny, I loved Forsaken but the content drip has (understandably) gotten slower and will continue that way until D3/next expansion happens.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
It still looks worse to me simply because in all those videos you posted you are moving A LOT more than you are in Anthem. Almost every time you want to hit an enemy in Anthem you are moving/hovering slowing. Even the coolass storm is just hovering slowly while throwing down stuff that just looks cool to see, which is my issue with this game it doesn't feel as cool to play as much as it looks cool. That to me is not as engaging as having to constantly move and shoot, doesn't matter if it's just melee enemies running at me it keeps me on my toes and engaged. Even the flying in Anthem is so slow that your actual horizontal movement is not that much faster than your sprint speed (I have indeed played the game a bit so speaking from experience of what I've played when I talk about this particular thing related to flying). About the only thing in Anthem I've seen you lets you hit and move relatively fast is the Interceptor Melee strike and those two gifs that the OP posted in the 5th post in the first page.

Infact even Andromeda the game Anthem borrows its shooting from looks a lot more engaging to me due to biotics. But that's just my opinion and ya know it varies from person to person. I just thought I'd state why exactly I find the gameplay meh from what I've seen and played. I'm looking forward to be surprised still since I'll play the game via Origin Premier.
You've played the game, so I totally respect your point of view. I would, however, counter that the only reason that you can hover/stand still in Anthem so far is because nothing has been doing significant damage. With more advanced enemies and higher difficulty settings, it will probably be the case that you won't be able to just stand still and tank everything. In fact, all three players in the "Hidden Depths" gameplay video almost died during the boss fight due to all of the ground effects, minion adds, and projectiles which hints at requiring to maneuver more during more difficult encounters.

Last edited:

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame that they appear to have completely given up on including any meaningful characters or storytelling in this game. At the very least, they haven't bothered to advertise them at all.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Its weird the more they tease the story the less interested in the world I am...... The gameplay look above average but I'm going to say the whole arc shit doesn't click at all

Yeah, the game looks like it will be fun, but I am very much not about either the story or the world.

It won't make sense if you don't try to understand what I'm trying to say about how much time you spend in combat just being still or strafing. ALL that mobility doesn't mean jack if at the end of the day I have to stop doing that for a large amount of time in combat to hover/stand in one place so that I can do some damage. I mean just look at any Storm Javelin videos where the dude is simply hovering in the air slowly for almost the entire duration of the combat you don't see him move much at all and yea it looks cool. And your actual character movement speed while aiming/shooting is also slower than even Division a game with pretty much no mobility and I say this from experience of playing the game. This is one of the things I like the most about Destiny. I look at something like the Vault encounter where I am constantly having to move, jump and shoot
ytma!â–¶Destiny 2 Forsaken Last Wish Raid: Vault Full Clear (8:55)This is the full fight where we beat the vault section of the last wish raid in Destiny 2 forsaken Want to find people to play wi . . .
....despite the inferior mobility in Destiny you spending so much more time actually moving around in the map in an encounter like that it feels very organic and like clockwork.

Fuck. When you start noticing it, it is hard to ignore.

Hopefully Bioware spices encounter design for the endgame.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just don't get these kinds of games at all. I wasn't interested to begin with, but this trailer put the nail in the coffin and filled it with cement.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Looks cool but I hate the universe, it's way too mismatched. Tropical jungle with advanced sci-fi fortress and cutting edge combat-suit? Ugh.

The problem is that they didn't do a good job matching these aesthetics, everything end up feeling out of place.
Lost Planet 2 also had sci-fi stuff in a jungle but for some reason it looks way more appealing and atmospheric, everything looks like they belong in the same universe.

25i1zxh.gif

284kle.jpg

j0a8lt.gif

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I don't know what to think about this game so far, graphically it looks great, the story looks like it could be interesting but the gameplay just doesn't look like fun to me, it might just be personal taste but yeah.

I don't know what it is about Anthem, it just looks kind of mediocre and like it's going to be one of those games that gets released and forgotten about within a year.

Am I just being cynical or does anybody else feel that way?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I really liked the video, I think playing with friends with everybody on a different class should make things interesting.

They should've shown that kind of stuff way earlier imo.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay looks underwhelming.
Looks like another Division or Destiny, I'll pass.

I mean if you're saying a 3rd person shooter with freeform flying looks too similar to a relatively ground based FPS like Destiny, then what games to you don't look like Destiny?

This was always billed as a 3rd person looter in the vein of Diablo/Borderlands/Destiny etc, so what were you hoping for?

Oct 30, 2017
This was a better video. Was nice to see something more then just another battle.

I don't know what to think about this game so far, graphically it looks great, the story looks like it could be interesting but the gameplay just doesn't look like fun to me, it might just be personal taste but yeah.

I don't know what it is about Anthem, it just looks kind of mediocre and like it's going to be one of those games that gets released and forgotten about within a year.

Am I just being cynical or does anybody else feel that way?

I think it's because they havnt really shown much below the surface. I can't help but feel meh by most of the footage. I also want to see story trailers to get me hyped. Don't care for just watching someone shoot stuff.

Try the demo though, it will be a better experience then watching.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
That was actually pretty nice, I'm looking forward to the rest now.

It won't make sense if you don't try to understand what I'm trying to say about how much time you spend in combat just being still or strafing. ALL that mobility doesn't mean jack if at the end of the day I have to stop doing that for a large amount of time in combat to hover/stand in one place so that I can do some damage. I mean just look at any Storm Javelin videos where the dude is simply hovering in the air slowly for almost the entire duration of the combat you don't see him move much at all and yea it looks cool. And your actual character movement speed while aiming/shooting is also slower than even Division a game with pretty much no mobility and I say this from experience of playing the game. This is one of the things I like the most about Destiny. I look at something like the Vault encounter where I am constantly having to move, jump and shoot....despite the inferior mobility in Destiny you spending so much more time actually moving around in the map in an encounter like that it feels very organic and like clockwork.

I have the same complaint. All this mobility and we're stuck with combat that doesn't even use it.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I haven't really been interested in this game at all until watching this. I think I'll still wait for reviews though.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
That was actually pretty nice, I'm looking forward to the rest now.

I have the same complaint. All this mobility and we're stuck with combat that doesn't even use it.
Have you seen the Legendary mission stream from today? More advanced combat encounters are a mix of flight, ADS strafing, dodging and jumping.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't, guess I'll check it out. I'm really hoping that Bioware just sucks at marketing and that combat does actually make use of that mobility.
There's plenty of gameplay out there with people putting the mobility through its paces even on lower difficulty stuff. If you're basing opinions on trailers where they're showing javelins standing still demonstrating abilities I could see how it doesn't look great.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of gameplay out there with people putting the mobility through its paces even on lower difficulty stuff. If you're basing opinions on trailers where they're showing javelins standing still demonstrating abilities I could see how it doesn't look great.
I wish I was but I've been watching a few streams too. Not all of them, but from the few I've seen, they still tend to stand still and hover a lot.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks so fantastic visually, it really is a spectacle. I'm also glad to see how different the Javelins are looking in play style.

It seems that actual tanking and MMO-style class based group tactics will be a thing.
I really hope but not holding my breath for that.

I don't see how MMO-Styled groups would be a thing... I understand there is a tank but without any healers, it just doesn't make sense. Everything I have seen shows that bosses will be more about dodging their attacks and flying around.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Again, not impressed. Still feels like a derivative from Destiny and even moreso a regression. Why is there so much floating and shooting? Verticality is nice but they aren't doing anything with it in this video.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't see how MMO-Styled groups would be a thing... I understand there is a tank but without any healers, it just doesn't make sense. Everything I have seen shows that bosses will be more about dodging their attacks and flying around.
True there doesn't appear to be any direct healing abilities in the game, at least not yet. There's an AoE Shield and Status Cleanse though right? So I suppose there are support style abilities to utilise but not in the traditional sense. Hopefully it'll still encourage team work and roles being played in tougher content.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I keep going back and forth with my interest for this game. Videos I see lately feel a bit shallow. Could be wrong, I'll decide if I should get this once I've played the demo.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Looks cool but I hate the universe, it's way too mismatched. Tropical jungle with advanced sci-fi fortress and cutting edge combat-suit? Ugh.

The problem is that they didn't do a good job matching these aesthetics, everything end up feeling out of place.
Lost Planet 2 also had sci-fi stuff in a jungle but for some reason it looks way more appealing and atmospheric, everything looks like they belong in the same universe.

25i1zxh.gif

284kle.jpg

j0a8lt.gif

Fuck sake dude, I'd just forgotten how much I loved and miss Lost Planet..

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They have shown off Javelin enemies, specifically a Storm style enemy. The story and lore also talks about various factions with Javelins.
Do you see some resemblance with the middle air battles in zoe saga in those trailers?

I only see one of this enemy in a trailer and it was a pretty static and boring fight...do you have some better trailer to show me? (I only see a couple of trailer till now)

(Sorry for my english)

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I am in love with the voice of the person who narrated this.

Combat and gameplay looks better than it did in most of the gameplay videos put out this week. Movement looks incredibly satisfying.

Anthem is going to hopefully be the first of its ilk to have a compelling narrative and characters for it to be more than just the latest shallow co-op that my friends and I fall off of after a couple of weeks.

I like the character models they showed. HZD's diversity with more expressive faces and voice acting.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
From my experience in the Alpha gameplay is the least of my worries as I enjoyed it quite a bit. My biggest questions are the end game and variety. If Bioware can get that down then this game could be special but that's the hardest thing to get right. We'll see