• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Getting the ME3 multiplayer vibes with iron man abilities...and that looks great to me with the amount of time I sunk into ME3 multiplayer.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen these enemies called "outlaws" before iirc.

DecisiveLiquidCrab-size_restricted.gif
Also "defensive bubble"

IllinformedSparseHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A great video, no doubt. Looking foward to the breakdown video to show off those new zones.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
The more they show, the less interested I become. The game seems very shallow. Very pretty, but theres just no GAME here. Very generic TPS looking gameplay with very simple and stupid AI enemies. This is NOT Sci Fi Monster Hunter.

Yup this is my problem as well. Visually appealing? Absolutely. But the gameplay just doesn't seem to back it up. Every video seems like a cluster fuck of particle effects and enemies getting destroyed. Doesn't seem like there's any challenge.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yup this is my problem as well. Visually appealing? Absolutely. But the gameplay just doesn't seem to back it up. Every video seems like a cluster fuck of particle effects and enemies getting destroyed. Doesn't seem like there's any challenge.

Check the vid from IGN from yesterday. :)
We also see alot of easy to normal gameplay where it also goes to Hard and then 3 grandmasters after that.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like high end gameplay is going to have a lot more RPG stuff at work than Destiny. The Collossus has aggro gaining ability with actual tanking potential. That gets us a lot closer to weaving traditional MMO boss mechanics into this shooter.

Yes! This is what I was hoping for Colossus, a real tank.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing is that every Javelin has a shield but the Colossus has a real shield that acts like a shield haha.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this like Destiny where you pick one Javelin for the entire game or do you have all of them that you can switch between depending on need. I see you can have loadouts for one Javelin, but I don't understand if you will have all the javelins?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Graphically it looks good and I dig the style but do the facial animations of the NPCs look "off" to anyone else? They aren't Andromeda levels of bad but they are kinda like Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is this like Destiny where you pick one Javelin for the entire game or do you have all of them that you can switch between depending on need. I see you can have loadouts for one Javelin, but I don't understand if you will have all the javelins?
All 4 and you can access them from the main base or your mobile base. You can also have multiple loadouts for the same Javelin too.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

As I understand from previous threads one can unlock all Javelins in any order as you level, lvls 2, 6, 10, 16 or similar. i.e. Colossus at lvl 2, storm at 10 etc etc. By endgame you would have every one.

[edit] as per devstream 17/01, Javelins unlock level 2, 8, 16, 26

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All 4 and you can access them from the main base or your mobile base. You can also have multiple loadouts for the same Javelin too.
As I understand from previous threads one can unlock all Javelins in any order as you level, lvls 2, 6, 10, 16 or similar. i.e. Colossus at lvl 2, storm at 10 etc etc. By endgame you would have every one.
Awesome. Two more questions I don't know if can be answered:
Do javelins level up together or do you have to level them separately?
Related, do we know if loot drops for all javelins no matter what we're piloting? I'm wondering if I'm flying a Colossus I could get only Ranger loot, etc.
Just thinking about how long term gameplay will play out...

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
We really are Iron Man now

GreatFrankAoudad-size_restricted.gif

EllipticalLonelyGrackle-size_restricted.gif

this is why i am so excited. They could literally add air battles in the future, or even space who knows.......the storyline could progress pretty much anyway they want. Which means more environment variations and enemies. Maybe invading ships to the planet and we all blast into the sky to raid a giant space ship......god i love everything bioware is doing here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Related, do we know if loot drops for all javelins no matter what we're piloting? I'm wondering if I'm flying a Colossus I could get only Ranger loot, etc.
You level them seperately. Loot favors the Javelin you currently pilot but you can get the other class stuff and either salvage it, it save for your other Javelins.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You level them seperately. Loot favors the Javelin you currently pilot but you can get the other class stuff and either salvage it, it save for your other Javelins.
All this sounds good. I am interested but will be waiting to see how long it is at launch. These details bode well for a longer game IMO. D1 and 2 are too short.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I was just going to say what Raide replied. Though I recall certain loot will be usable across Javelins, specific guns for example can be used by all or some of the Javelins, Hand-cannons, all but Colossus & Assault rifles all suits as examples, so one could assume that it could be the case for drops for other Javelin systems.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Honestly, all I need is confirmation that everything they showed in that personalization livestream is available for free in the game without having to fork over cash or grind absurd hours just to look good. As soon as that happens, I'm in.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, all I need is confirmation that everything they showed in that personalization livestream is available for free in the game without having to fork over cash or grind absurd hours just to look good. As soon as that happens, I'm in.
They said they will all be accessible through playing or buying them. Really depends on how the rarity works etc.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Level design really seems bad and I'm not sold yet after getting burned by games like Destiny. There's a lot of potential, but I'll need reviews because being so much co-op focused means it's prone to lots of balance/latency issues.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think this video just sold me on the game. It looked really good. I do hope there is more variety in locations that what they have shown so far. I also wish there will be areas that you are just on foot, perhaps a cave where it deactivates your flight controls and you have to be on foot. But yeah, this looks really good. Have they mentioned Pro/X resolutions/framerate etc?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope I can fast fly/dash with the interceptor, kill my jets, pop my super while falling and hit the grown blades out ... I thought the super paused you where you were for a while but watching iron man flyby rocket pod hugs groups of people makes me hopefull i can stay more mobile while activating dem knives.

More and more hyped as it gets closer. This video is great. bring on the next!

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Enemy AI seems laughably bad.
Insane graphics and the traversal will be stellar, that much was clear from the alpha too. Still not entirely convinced the fights are fun and varied enough, and this video did nothing to clear my doubts with the player shooting at practically inanimate enemies. We'll see how this one goes but I'll probably play it on EA Access in some time.
I'm hoping the game will be more than "shoot the bullet sponge till it dies" but so far I haven't seen enough to suggest it. And as another person pointed out, the AI doesn't seem to be doing anything complicated, it just seems like you can overpower pretty much everything.

Hopefully I'm wrong though. The concept is more than solid, I'm just worried about the execution.
I'm not the only one calling this game out for looking shallow. Obviously there is a game here, it's just looking extremely shallow, thus uninteresting. It seems like the kind of game that wows on graphics but once you've seen the environments you get bored fast.
I keep seeing posts like these. Let me remind you what the competition in loot shooters looks like.
Here's a high-level Forsaken strike from Destiny 2 (Broodhold) which you'd expect to be full of great AI and powerful enemies. What you will see are lots of enemies standing out in the open, mostly standing around, and maybe doing a little dodge as they get mowed down. Melee enemies charge directly at you. And what's particularly laughable about it is that a lot of these enemies are all completely recycled from early gameplay.
https://youtu.be/yBbg_JGbf3A?t=156

Borderlands 2's AI is not much better. Now, I may have randomly picked some extraordinarily bad footage for this, but this should not be in a much lauded game:
https://youtu.be/aE9s_HaxGhY

This is a high-level incursion (Stolen Signal) from The Division, labelled by this player as "best incursion BY FAR!". You'll see more of the same: lots of brain-dead enemies and real bullet sponges:
https://youtu.be/NwOWAnTXgKw

Warframe is probably the closest to Anthem in terms of scope, and what does that look like? Here's some random footage that I pulled published a week ago about the open area "Fortuna". The player is able to mostly stay out in the open as enemies just charge directly at him:
https://youtu.be/rihaEAr2rcU?t=323

Now, go back and watch this Anthem footage and tell me that it looks significantly worse than those.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I keep seeing posts like these. Let me remind you what the competition in loot shooters looks like.

I don't disagree with the point you're trying to make, but I actually found the AI in the The Division to be pretty good. Enemies constantly run for cover (except for heavies) and are always trying to flank you. It happens so much, that it's honestly more annoying than anything else, because (in my opinion) they act like actual humans would.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Here's a high-level Forsaken strike from Destiny 2 (Broodhold) which you'd expect to be full of great AI and powerful enemies. What you will see are lots of enemies standing out in the open, mostly standing around, and maybe doing a little dodge as they get mowed down. Melee enemies charge directly at you. And what's particularly laughable about it is that a lot of these enemies are all completely recycled from early gameplay.

Borderlands 2's AI is not much better. Now, I may have randomly picked some extraordinarily bad footage for this, but this should not be in a much lauded game:

This is a high-level incursion (Stolen Signal) from The Division, labelled by this player as "best incursion BY FAR!". You'll see more of the same: lots of brain-dead enemies and real bullet sponges:

Warframe is probably the closest to Anthem in terms of scope, and what does that look like? Here's some random footage that I pulled published a week ago about the open area "Fortuna". The player is able to mostly stay out in the open as enemies just charge directly at him:

Now, go back and watch this Anthem footage and tell me that it looks significantly worse than those.
Nobody is saying it looks worse than those. Personally I wanted something new, better than other games. If it's not better, then why would I play it? Because it's pretty?

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a really good video, and I hope they have one in this series that talks about the endgame. I'd like to know what they have in the works even if they're not ready to show everything. Otherwise, people will drop this after hitting the level cap or playing through the content once like they did with the first Division.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is saying it looks worse than those. Personally I wanted something new, better than other games. If it's not better, then why would I play it? Because it's pretty?
thats a difficult metric to live by
never gonna play another "game type" because its worse than botw, god of war, gta, (or any top rated game)

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they needed to have this kind of content out already, that was definitely the most straightforward and informative video yet.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Perhaps you aren't, but a lot of other people have said in other threads that it looks like a Destiny/Warframe clone with brain dead, boring enemies (which heavily implies that it's worse than Destiny/Warframe). A lot of us actually think that Anthem IS better than those games based on the footage shown. In my opinion, the flying and huge variety of abilities and actually different classes compared to these other games are vast improvements on the genre.

Even if it's not that much better in terms of gameplay than other games, people don't always just buy games for huge refinements on gameplay: they often want sequels that merely bring new content, contexts, and stories for the exact same gameplay. For example, consider a lot of Nintendo games in the Mario and Legend of Zelda series. A lot of their mechanics, items, and enemies are completely copied from previous games. A lot of them play almost exactly the same way as previous games. A game doesn't have to be better in a gameplay sense to be incredibly desired.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think anyone is gonna claim Borderlands 2 had good AI, but at least it had crazy abilities/guns and funny writing to make up for the fairly repetitive aspects of it.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I prefer the approach they're going for which is enemy variety rather than "smart AI". Having a bunch of different enemies with simple yet unique behaviors with different types of status modifiers layered on top is the best approach for these kinds of games. As a whole they create a game that can stay fresh from moment to moment depending on what you're fighting much like Diablo or other isometric ARPGs.

Thankfully, the bigger enemies seem to be appropriately more complex. It looks like a huge improvement over Destiny and the Division to me.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Sold again! Loved the inital reveal, the recent gameplay clips did not do much for me, but this right here sold me on the game.
Hope the game looks nice on a base ps4 :/

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it looks pretty spectacular, but the lack of genuine SP focus means I am very unlikely to purchase the game. A pity.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean it looks pretty spectacular, but the lack of genuine SP focus means I am very unlikely to purchase the game. A pity.
You can play the game solo but if you wanted a ME style game, Anthem is not for you. Anthem has a story and lore and all manner of other things going for it but from day one it was obvious it was a looter shooter.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

It still looks worse to me simply because in all those videos you posted you are moving A LOT more than you are in Anthem. Almost every time you want to hit an enemy in Anthem you are moving/hovering slowing. Even the coolass storm is just hovering slowly while throwing down stuff that just looks cool to see, which is my issue with this game it doesn't feel as cool to play as much as it looks cool. That to me is not as engaging as having to constantly move and shoot, doesn't matter if it's just melee enemies running at me it keeps me on my toes and engaged. Even the flying in Anthem is so slow that your actual horizontal movement is not that much faster than your sprint speed (I have indeed played the game a bit so speaking from experience of what I've played when I talk about this particular thing related to flying). About the only thing in Anthem I've seen you lets you hit and move relatively fast is the Interceptor Melee strike and those two gifs that the OP posted in the 5th post in the first page.

Infact even Andromeda the game Anthem borrows its shooting from looks a lot more engaging to me due to biotics. But that's just my opinion and ya know it varies from person to person. I just thought I'd state why exactly I find the gameplay meh from what I've seen and played. I'm looking forward to be surprised still since I'll play the game via Origin Premier.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Game looks so fantastic visually, it really is a spectacle. I'm also glad to see how different the Javelins are looking in play style.

It seems that actual tanking and MMO-style class based group tactics will be a thing.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It still looks significantly worse to me simply because in ALL those videos you posted you are moving A LOT more than you are in Anthem. Almost every time you want to hit an enemy in Anthem you are moving/hovering slowing. Even the coolass storm is just hovering slowly while throwing down stuff. That to me is not as engaging as having to constantly move and shoot, doesn't matter if it's just melee enemies running at me it keeps me on my toes and engaged.
Moving and shooting is bad in Anthem, but good in other games? Can't even make sense of this. Anthem is way more mobile than Destiny, Division, or Borderlands. You can bombard enemies while flying around like a jet.