• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Why you're not sure I'm arguing in good faith exactly? This is a pretty serious accusation. I'm just trying to discuss this new bit of info from a rumor about Nintendo already focusing on next year (and because of this this is a quiet year, according to the own rumor). Please don't quote me if you just want to keep making accusations.
Because "purposely holding back games" is some bullshit. It's the kind of conspiracy theory you see fanboys on GameFAQs peddling. If that's not what you meant, then I apologize, but you need to get better at wording things in that case because I'm replying to what you wrote, I can't read your mind.

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because "purposely holding back games" is some bullshit. It's the kind of conspiracy theory you see fanboys on GameFAQs peddling. If that's not what you meant, then I apologize, but you need to get better at wording things in that case because I'm replying to what you wrote, I can't read your mind.

It's okay, Phantom Thief. Next time I'll word it better for you.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I thought it was already pretty clear that Nintendo had a bigger impact that other because they were not ready, at all, to work at home.

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe a global pandemic happened in February and late 2020 games got pushed to 2021 and might as well use them to promote new hardware in 2021?

people are coming up with so many reasons why first party has been slower this year other than Covid. That's the reason. Games are already suspectible to last minute delays, but with all the other pandemic changes it's going to be even worse.

they may have decided to use these delayed games to sell new hardware in 2021, but I imagine that wasn't their original intention

It could be. I mentioned the pandemic in the OP, and yeas, Nintendo was the most affected by this it seens (maybe the japanese game companies were more affected in general.).

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's so annoying to see people say "nintendo has nothing to worry about". Of course they don't! They're seeing record sales. That doesn't mean we can't complain about the lack of games. Reminder that Animal Crossing was originally a 2019 game. It makes you wonder what they had planned at all for 2020.
Probably Breath of the Wild 2, for a start.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You mean when they released the overall Game of the Year winner, Death Stranding? A disingenuous comparison anyway, because a "bad" year from Sony first parties (releasing the Game of the Year is a bad year apparently) doesn't mean nearly as much as a bad year for Nintendo first party due to Sony's incredible third party support.

This makes no sense. Final Fantasy VII Remake was announced in 2015. Bloodborne was also released in 2015. You act like they announce a game and then have no more games until said announced game releases.

I completeLy forgot about death stranding, fair enough.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
As a fan of Animal Crossing and not of Pokémon or Smash Bros....this year has been better than some from the Switch's existence.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying how would they benefit from having a strong line up for new hardware. There is obviously a ton of factors going into the schedule for this year but them holding some stuff back to launch with new hardware isn't that crazy.
They've literally never done this for revision hardware launch to my memory. The Switch is already selling amazingly; new hardware doesn't need the help.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thought of Breath of the Wild 2 being delayed just to coincide with the release of a new hardware makes me mad. But there's nothing indicating this is the case.
I don't think that's likely to be the case in the slightest- the first we heard of BOTW2 was a trusted insider saying it was due for 2020 nearly two years ago, but Nintendo never even remotely caused people to think it was coming that promptly themselves. Far more likely that 2020 was always an optimistic target, and they were perfectly willing and able to push it back as and when development required; COVID just sealed the deal.

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like a nonsense reason made after the fact/in hindsight. Show me the articles that said this would be a light year pre-pandemic

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's likely to be the case in the slightest- the first we heard of BOTW2 was a trusted insider saying it was due for 2020 nearly two years ago, but Nintendo never even remotely caused people to think it was coming that promptly themselves. Far more likely that 2020 was always an optimistic target, and they were perfectly willing and able to push it back as and when development required.

I can see 2020 being their target window originally. But never "confirmed" even internally as a sure thing.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
They've literally never done this for revision hardware launch to my memory. The Switch is already selling amazingly; new hardware doesn't need the help.

Majora's Mask 3D was launched with the New 3DS. You can make an argument that it wasn't delayed for it but then having a big game for updated hardware launch to boost sales is something they have done. I picked up a New 3DS day 1 thanks to MM3D. If BOTW2 coincides with a new Switch I will pick it up day 1

Dec 23, 2017
Well COVID didn't help. They had tough decisions to make. Now you have to make games for technically two console. You can't alienate OG switch owners but also need to show off new hardware. I expect MP4, P4,BOTW2, and Bayo 3 to all be launch window games for the new or upgraded switch. Along with BC versions for OG switch. Fun times ahead.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Majora's Mask 3D was launched with the New 3DS. You can make an argument that it wasn't delayed for it but then having a big game for updated hardware launch to boost sales is something they have done. I picked up a New 3DS day 1 thanks to MM3D. If BOTW2 coincides with a new Switch I will pick it up day 1
I don't think New 3DS is a good example because it infamously only had like two exclusives. That's like the opposite of good support. Sure they might align one game to a hypothetical Switch Pro launch (but did they even do anything like that for the Lite?), but there's no way they held back multiple for it when it makes for a horrendous 2020.

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well COVID didn't help. They had tough decisions to make. Now you have to make games for technically two console. You can't alienate OG switch owners but also need to show off new hardware. I expect MP4, P4,BOTW2, and Bayo 3 to all be launch window games for the new or upgraded switch. Along with BC versions for OG switch. Fun times ahead.

If this 4K Switch is really Q1 2021 then MP4 definitely isn't a launch title.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So the strategy is to get me less engaged with the system for a year so that then next year I'll maybe be interested in a new model. Brilliant!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so annoying to see people say "nintendo has nothing to worry about". Of course they don't! They're seeing record sales. That doesn't mean we can't complain about the lack of games. Reminder that Animal Crossing was originally a 2019 game. It makes you wonder what they had planned at all for 2020.
Complain all you want, but consumers are completely satisfied with Nintendo's lineup this year.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't think that's it. It's more likely that things got delayed because of Covid and other stuff needed to take more time more than anything else. Never mind that games like Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and Animal Crossing: New Horizons do count, even if they don't specifically do it for you

You mean when they released the overall Game of the Year winner, Death Stranding? A disingenuous comparison anyway, because a "bad" year from Sony first parties (releasing the Game of the Year is a bad year apparently) doesn't mean nearly as much as a bad year for Nintendo first party due to Sony's incredible third party support.
But we're talking purely about first party output so what does 3rd party support have to do with it? If that's not a bad year for Sony, than neither is this year for Nintendo because of Animal Crossing

Never mind that I'm not sure what Sony has to do with this thread anyways but I think I might have an idea as to why you brought them up here

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Not in Japan, it wasn't. They had Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, instead.

So they had a major launch title in both territories to coincide with new hardware. If this new Switch is real then I expect the same.
I don't think New 3DS is a good example because it infamously only had like two exclusives. That's like the opposite of good support. Sure they might align one game to a hypothetical Switch Pro launch (but did they even do anything like that for the Lite?), but there's no way they held back multiple for it when it makes for a horrendous 2020.

The Lite is a cheaper option for consumers. This would be a upgrade for many Switch owners so you would need some software incentive to sell them on it.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
it's impossible for me to believe that you could spin 2020 and nothing going as planned as a positive for nintendo

if anything, i would expect 2021 to just be the year of mario

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when everyone assumed that WiiU had no significant games the last two years cos nintendo was gearing up to make a bomb ass Switch line up with monthly releases?

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's fair to say Sony is focusing on next year too, seeing as they're putting out an entirely new console and not just a revision, but yet they've had one of the greatest years for exclusives any console has ever had.
Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2. Not exactly what I would call a greatest year ever at all.

Oct 26, 2017
... said we about 2019-2020.

You people sure like to fool yourselves.
2019 was a pretty good year so, yeah, it did hold up there. Never mind that 2018 still had some big releases, like Smash and Pokémon, and 2020 also had notable releases in Xenoblade Chronicles and Animal Crossing

Remember when everyone assumed that WiiU had no significant games the last two years cos nintendo was gearing up to make a bomb ass Switch line up with monthly releases?
...and it had a pretty strong year one line-up so...?

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
So the strategy is to get me less engaged with the system for a year so that then next year I'll maybe be interested in a new model. Brilliant!
It doesn't warrant much faith if their console age is 4 years then move on to the next tbh. Though this depends on if it is a PRO model or their next console and if it's gonna get a lot of exclusive games. I'm just not gonna think of it much until Nintendo themself reveal what their plan is.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's sad, cause this year, right now is the exact timeline in that they could jump in and release games with as much attention as possible.
Up to November, then it's time for next gen and if it's not about a high class Nintendo in-house game, my attention is definitely somewhere else for the next month or year.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Nintendo has already published 5 retail games this year, including two new releases in major long-running series, one of which has sold over 20 million units. This in pretty similar to previous years in the Switch's llifespan, especially when you consider that Nintendo usually hold their most significant titles for September - December. So there's no sign in the months that have already come and gone that Nintendo is stockpiling finished games for a hypothetical Switch Pro (which may not be "pro" at all, but something else entirely).

The only real evidence in support of the game-hoarding theory is the lack of titles announced for the fall, but there are multiple alternate explanations for that:

1. There are major games coming for the holiday season, but they haven't been announced yet because the pandemic scrambled Nintendo's PR strategy. (We have enough reporting to know the latter is definitely true.)

2. The games that would have launched this holiday have been delayed because of the impact of COVID on development.

3. Games that were targeting Holiday 2020 ran into development issues before the pandemic hit (this could be the case with Bayonetta 2 and BotW 2) and, as a result, Nintendo was always going to have a year that leaned heavily on remasters and "definitive" ports of older games. (Seems like Emily might have hinted at this earlier this year.)

4. Some combination of the above. (This is most likely, of course.)

Of course, Nintendo may also have moved around the release dates of a game or two to better coincide with the launch of the revision, but thinking that they'd tank their 2020 lineup just to have a big revision launch seems like a stretch, given what we know now.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every time a company has a weak year (or years) fans always say it's because they're building up games for a huge year in the future, and then it always just results in average output that year. Wii U and 3DS's droughts didn't result in a huge number of new 1st party titles on Switch - there has just been an average number and there is still a big reliance on ports and remasters.

Hell, XBox damn near took an entire generation off, and everyone said it would result in XSX having an insane launch line up. But predictably the launch lineup is just average.

Complain all you want, but consumers are completely satisfied with Nintendo's lineup this year.
This attitude is so crappy.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
The Lite is a cheaper option for consumers. This would be a upgrade for many Switch owners so you would need some software incentive to sell them on it.
And I'm saying you would need one game at most. See New 3DS. Certainly at least not worth delaying multiple games over and leaving a shitty 2020. Which is why I doubt they did that.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Droughts are not exactly uncommon for Nintendo, its been a reality for them with every console they have released since N64. I guess there is always some reason for it, but lets not act as if this is outside of the norm.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't make any sense, they're having a bad year now so they won't have a bad year next year? lol

Genius planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.