• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild for sure. Shadow of the Colossus wasn't this gen, but the remake came out. After that game ends it always sticks with me.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Sunset overdrive.

Had dreams and visions about traversing the real world like you could in that game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's TLG for me and not even close.

0e411c333edacc1500f3147f9b7a3eed.gif

This is my second choice

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Disco Elysium, hands down.

Runners up - Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Night in the Woods
Red Dead Redemption 2 (yes, really)

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say horizon, bloodborne and the last of us remastered. They are the only games I have played two or more times since I got a ps4. But I give a slight edge to horizon since I am now playing it for a third time currently and enjoying just as much or more than the first 2 times, especially now since I got a new tv a few days ago amd it's glorious.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Dreams. Been following it since the official reveal in 2015. Everyone was hyped for FF7R, Shenmue 3, and TLG. Those got me hyped but Dreams got my attention. I need to get off my ass and put some time into it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Probably one of the Dragon Quest mainline games. DQ7, DQ8, or DQ11. They're the kind of games that just stay with me. And then there are the spinoffs too. Even if we don't get anything else this gen anymore, it has been a great generation for DQ.

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 - I've been thinking about it for 5 years to the month, after taking a massive L at a D&B loctest in front of a large group of people. Worthwhile experience. Was nice to have something to focus on and be good at through several bad health years.

FFXV - I was there since FNC started in 2006, watched all the trailers for those games for years, played at least 30 hours worth across the various pre-release PS4 demos for FFXV, suffered through Kingsglaive, enjoyed Brotherhood, waited ages for the PC port. DNF, but I played 118 hours apparently, want to go back after I get a better rig.

I'd say next after that is probably Bloodborne. I've though a lot about Bloodborn. Mostly about how even though I like it, Bloodborn being a technical shit show on PS4 ruins the experience and makes me actively hate playing the game and on consoles in general.

Next in line is Dark Souls 3 according to steam. I don't like thinking about Dark Souls 3. It's just eeeeehhhhhh and worse that DS1 and DS2.

VR in general has taken up the rest of my headspace, more than the PS4 games I listed. VR is amazing, all of it. Even the bad stuff is still impressionable. Too much to talk about in a single post.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Destiny by a factor of a billion. Considering i have about 5k hours in the last 6 years vs maybe two hundred everything else combined.

Lunchbox

ʃuoɹŹ Ź‡į“‰ ʃuį“‰op ĒÉ¹,noŹŽ 'Ź‡É„ʃį“‰É¹ sį“‰É„Ź‡ pɐĒÉ¹ noŹŽ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Nier Automata and The House in Fata Morgana are meaningful enough runners-up to be worth mentioning, but my clear #1 "thought of" game is Undertale, by a pretty wide margin.

In a lot of ways, it's the game that I had been waiting my entire life for, a particular mix of storytelling and humor and subversion of established mechanics that I was just destined to fall in love with. On top of that, it came out in the midst of what had been the darkest time of my life, and it played an immeasurably big part in my stepping out and trying the first creative thing I had attempted in a number of years. I haven't gotten better since then, said creative endeavor still didn't lead to anything meaningful and the rest of my life hasn't recovered, but Undertale has reminded planted firmly in the back of my head, and not a single day has passed that I haven't thought about it, wondering when I'll be able to pick myself up and finally push forward.

It haunts me.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero, Disco Elysium, Yakuza 6. Probably in that order.

Night in the Woods was a pretty significant game for me and I've come back to it quite a bit. It definitely left a mark.

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
DMC5. Probably more so than most people here have thought of any other game, maybe aside from the people who have 3000+ hours in a single game. I'd thought about it since even before this gen started. Still think about it several times a week. Although funnily enough I've only played it through once, and haven't touched it in over a year.

Bloodborne is probably second, followed by RE7.

Last edited:

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW and Rocket League.

Prior to BOTW I'd only managed to make it through Link's Awakening. It's not that I wasn't a fan of Zelda games, I would just bounce off somewhere in the middle and then return only to find myself completely overwhelmed. It happens to me a lot. BOTW consumed me for weeks. I didn't want it to end so I just kept exploring. Can't wait to see what's next for that series.

Rocket League is the ultimate arcade sports experience. After a drought of good titles in the genre, it came seemingly out if nowhere and perfected things. I love PES, but RL nails the feel of actually being a player on the pitch more than any soccer game to date.

My runner up would probably Into the Breach. I'm not a huge turn-based strategy fan by any means, but something about that game just clicked.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Pokemon sword and how god awful terrible it is, not just as a pokemon game but an RPG in general. A guy hit my car with a shopping cart yesterday and i still hate pokemon sword more.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty it's probably Spider-Man. I've found myself mentally gushing over how amazing it controls and how fun the moment-to-moment gameplay is in addition to being one of the best depictions of the universe and those characters.

SigArthor7

Feb 11, 2018
I'm torn between Neir automata or FF7R. I'm a few chapters away from finishing the game and I'm just blown away by how fun and visually beautiful the game is.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
For better or worse Destiny. My patience for or against live service games come down to my experience with the Destiny franchise.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Titanfall hasn't left my mind since I played the closed alpha for the first game. Half-Life: Alyx is the recent pick though. What a blessed world we live in where that exists.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Wilds. Wilds gave me the most satisfying sense of exploration and thrill of discovery in probably several gens worth of games, the runner up to that would be something like BOTW but in a different way. Wilds' hand crafted worlds and each planet's unique hook is executed brilliantly, and the non linear nature of piecing together the story really feels dynamic and that you're taking a part in this excavation of history. It made me feel a sense of wonderment and humility towards space and our place in it in a way even some of the best sci-fi films can't manage. For a game to evoke that sort of response I feel is a pretty big achievement, and I think of my time with it often due to just how much it stands out next to everything else in the medium. I have high hopes for the devs' next project.

In a pretty different sort of memorability I'd put Hitman 2016 and its sequel as the runner up due to just how many satisfying gameplay moments I've had with these brilliant two releases. Best stealth action sandbox gameplay bar none...just godly level design. I could probably write a thesis on Sapienza alone. IO Interactive is brilliant at creating a sense of place in these minutely detailed regions, many of them are large enough that feels more appropriate than a reductive 'level' designation. This video shows their process and approach with crafting these spaces to suit the series gameplay, it's well worth a watch if you're even a bit interested in how these kinds of environments are conceived.

There's so much detail put into each level with many individual rooms having their own unique props and texture work, I'd say these two games have more unique assets per level than some AAA games have in their entirety. The environment artists at IO are some of the best out there, being able to pack all this micro detail into every nook and cranny is quite impressive. Can't wait to see what they're able to pull off with next gen.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale and Deltarune are the only two games that come to mind. They both just came out of nowhere and blew my mind each time.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Even though I recently finished it, I think Disco Elysium will be up there. It's been a long time since I've played a game this bold and confident in its themes, its message and how it delivers it. It has SO MANY memorable moments that it's pretty easy to reminisce about my time with it and take in just how good that game is. One of this gen's finest.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
RDR2, followed by BOTW. Then Bloodborne a distant third but still occupied my thoughts because to me it's not only one of the great games of the generation, but it came fairly early in the generation when there was an air of slight disappointment at the new generations' games. Then comes Bloodborne and everyone shits themselves.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Infamous: Second Son for sure, followed pretty closely by Breath of the Wild and Three Houses.

Jun 24, 2019
Bloodborne by far. Everything about that game is so sublime. Breath of the Wild is also up there, I couldn't stop talking about it.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say The Last Guardian, but really it's probably American Truck Simulator and No Man's Sky - their development is ongoing and I play or have returned to them frequently over the years so they are by default regularly in my thoughts.

(It's really Guild Wars.)

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
Super Mario Maker, even if I discount all the time I spent thinking about level creation. So many positive memories with that game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The From Software games leave an impression, but Undertale was so memetic to an obnoxious degree with a crazy fanbase that its hard to forget about.
Get Dunked on! Get it? Its Undertale Sans!

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Breath of the Wild. Can't help but compare every remotely similar game to it and think how much better they'd be if they were more like Breath of the Wild. Truly the Dark Souls of this gen.