• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
A few days ago, while checking my PS4 games, I noticed I only had a single racing game: Need For Speed 2015, which I thought was... bad.
So logically, I went to the PS Store to see if any racing game interested me. After like 20 minutes of searching, I realized something, there's not a single good arcade racing game in this generation besides Forza (which I obviously can't play properly because it's a Microsoft exclusive). Every single racing game I found was either a simulator (I understand why people like them, but they're not my thing) or straight up bad/average games (the three NFS, Driveclub, etc).

So I've been thinking... why aren't there more arcade games? Because FH4 proved there's a market for those games. I'd much rather have something a little more fun than "cut a corner and get penalized 3: the videogame".

Seriously, I ended up getting the Wipeout Collection because it didn't matter how much I looked for it, a somewhat realistic, good arcade racing game doesn't exist for the PS4.

Deleted member 29354

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Redout could fill in this need for you from what I understand. It's got some interesting steering and balance mechanics that differentiate it, but I believe it is a sci-fi arcade-style race in the same vein as Wipeout.

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things about OnRush, though its technically not a "racing" game.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
And by arcade racing games, i really mean arcade racing games with electronica / d'n'b / idm / jazz soundtracks :D

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Just waiting for the eventual home ports of Sega's Daytona Championship USA and Sega World Drivers Championship.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
What ever happened to 90's Arcade Racer again? Didn't Nicalis change the name... and then nothing happened (again)?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happened to the PC port of Onrush? :(

Dangit man! Too bad it wasn't more like Motorstorm with finish lines, but I was warming up to the concept of Onrush no finish lines. I should watch videos of people playing it seeing as it may never come to PC.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Initial D would get proper treatment. Really fun racer. Well, 4 not as much as 3, but it got better again .

Oct 27, 2017
Driveclub isn't bad by any means, but I found it to be average at best. It looks really nice, though.

I don't agree that it's average at best, but that's ok. It's a divisive game.

If you've already tried it and didn't care for it, completely understandable. But anyone who has a PS4 and wants an arcadey racing game, DriveClub is certainly worth a shot. One of my favorite racers of all time.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP. Actual good arcade racers are a rare thing these days. Even some games people call "arcade" are still mostly grounded in reality.

The best arcade racers on the current consoles would be Burnout Paradise Remastered, OnRush, and Trackmania Turbo. Forza Horizon 4 is also great on XB1, particularly if you have an X and can play it at 60fps.

Switch also has some fun ones with Mario Kart 8 and Fast RMX.

Also, Burnout Revenge (360) is backwards compatible on the XB1.

I'm really hoping the rumors of a new Ridge Racer are real. I'd also love to see Namco make a solid remake of Ridge Racer 4.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Burnout. Raycevick did a video on Revenge and it all came flooding back.

I would lose my shit if Initial D came back to home consoles.

DiRT 4 might be your best bet OP.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Evolution Stuidos would have been around if it were for their incompetence, wasn't driveclub a mess at launch?

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I could really go for Trackmania, especially on Switch or mobile. No matter what it's on, I want them to re-implement features they took out of Turbo (at least on PC), but still keep the level of polish and aesthetic of Turbo.

Oct 28, 2017
I need a criterion hot pursuit 2 Ubisoft driver San Francisco 2 and also let's not forget san francisco rush 2049 sequel who has the rights to this?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
A few days ago, while checking my PS4 games, I noticed I only had a single racing game: Need For Speed 2015, which I thought was... bad.
So logically, I went to the PS Store to see if any racing game interested me. After like 20 minutes of searching, I realized something, there's not a single good arcade racing game in this generation besides Forza (which I obviously can't play properly because it's a Microsoft exclusive). Every single racing game I found was either a simulator (I understand why people like them, but they're not my thing) or straight up bad/average games (the three NFS, Driveclub, etc).

So I've been thinking... why aren't there more arcade games? Because FH4 proved there's a market for those games. I'd much rather have something a little more fun than "cut a corner and get penalized 3: the videogame".

Seriously, I ended up getting the Wipeout Collection because it didn't matter how much I looked for it, a somewhat realistic, good arcade racing game doesn't exist for the PS4.
just earlier today:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xenon-racer-futuristic-arcade-racer-ps4-xb1-switch-pc.72496/

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I didn't realize how much I enjoyed arcade racers until I played FH4. Totally agreed, OP.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The problem is that they just don't sell like they used to, unfortunately. Unless you're Gran Turismo, Forza, or Mario Kart you pretty much may as well go home these days.

I think Crash Team Racing could be a big hit, though.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The last good arcade racing game was Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (X360/PS3). I seriously still play it every month or so. It's the only X360 game I still play on a regular basis, because there are no arcade racing games like it on current gen systems.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I feel you OP. Actual good arcade racers are a rare thing these days. Even some games people call "arcade" are still mostly grounded in reality.

The best arcade racers on the current consoles would be Burnout Paradise Remastered, OnRush, and Trackmania Turbo.

Switch also has some fun ones with Mario Kart 8 and Fast RMX.

Also, Burnout Revenge (360) is backwards compatible on the XB1.

I'm really hoping the rumors of a new Ridge Racer are real. I'd also love to see Namco make a solid remake of Ridge Racer 4.
I actually forgot about Trackmania Turbo, I played it for a few months when it was free with PS+ and it's really fun, especially in long stunt tracks. Sadly, the playerbase keeps getting smaller, now it's hard to find a room with more than 20 players in it.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Initial D would get proper treatment. Really fun racer. Well, 4 not as much as 3, but it got better again .
I agree. I would be all over a new good Initial D console port. Initial D Extreme Stage on PS3 was based off of Arcade Stage 3, I believe, which felt like the handling was way off if I remember correctly. Also the loading times were horrible. Those didn't keep me from putting a lot of hours into the game though.

Even for people who aren't a fan of the anime/manga, I think it's an extremely fun arcade racing game. I'm not sure of how popular it still is in arcades, but I think they came out with a new one in 2017. So I try to keep hope alive that we'll get another console version one of these days that I can import.

Oct 28, 2017
So much this

I dont think Forza Horizon is arcade

The only real good arcade racer is mario kart 8 imo - and that is sad

Forza Horizon 4 has you out running a harrier jet in the 2nd race. It's so arcade.

Mario Kart 8 is perfect but it's more of it's own thing than it is an arcade racer in my book.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
straight up bad/average games (the three NFS, Driveclub, etc).

Driveclub is amazing, and so is the BIKES addition. It's a perfect mix of arcade and sim handling, I think. Furthermore, it has a focus on the actual driving of cars like a sim while also allowing you to quickly jump into whatever car/race and complete drift/speed challenges like an arcade racer. I love not having to sit through any needless NPC dialogue or lame story cutscenes, and the race challenges you're provided are highly varied and memorable.

I do agree that more racing games is always a good thing. Due to how little mainstream exposure the genre gets compared to other genres, if we have a few quality, stand-out titles every year or two, then I think the genre can deem itself successful.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
What ever happened to 90's Arcade Racer again? Didn't Nicalis change the name... and then nothing happened (again)?
For real. 90's Arcade Racer looked and sounded like a love letter to the kind of arcade racing we need.

The real shame is the guy - Pelikan13 - had even shown footage of the game running on the Wii U. It wasn't too long after when it flat out vanished. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that the amount of racers we've had this gen has significantly gone down compared to last...

Where are the hidden gems like split second, blur, PGR etc. I think we are stuck with GT/Forza for the foreseeable future, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just wish we had more variety.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
So much yes to the thread title. Cannot wait to add Grip to this lot:

C5mf4H3.jpg

Though my all time biggest wish for this (or next even) generation is to see a proper Burnout sequel. Not the open world paradise concept, but a straight up revamp of Burnout 3. Or just Burnout 3 really.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
What you thought on Fast?

I've got both a Wii U and a Switch but I've yet to grab one of the FAST games. Games like FAST, F-Zero and WipeOut don't really appeal to me personally. I'm just not a big fan of the super futuristic sci-fi racers. The newly announced Xenon Racer hits the sweet spot for me though; it's not futuristic enough to turn me away, yet it still seems to focus on the speed that I suppose futuristic racers are known for.