• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a consumer of mainly Japanese games this generation was a massive improvement compared to last gen. You might even call last gen a lost generation for me. I guess for Western games there have been more high profile disappointments this gen like Mass Effect: A, Anthem, Fallout 76, etc.
I would say it is the opposite, many are just PS3 games ported to PS4. Some of my favorite Japanese RPG this gen are PS3 ports (Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Utawarerumono series)

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This gen became a great gen, whereas last gen became an awful gen by the end with that focus on absolute nonsense that carried directly over to the launch of the Xbox One.

Next gen seems like it's going to be the one that is this gen but better.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It would be possible with more load screens and sub-720p rendering.
Rocksteady stated they were not able to fit the Batmobile alone (forget the whole game) within the PS3's memory and you think Horizon Zero Dawn would have been feasible on PS3's tech. Come on now. You don't seem to understand how Memory Management seems to work in game development. 🤨😐

Dec 23, 2017
Respectfully disagree. I believe 7th gen was so great and doesn't get the credit it deserves. So much creativity and amazing new ips. The extended length of the gen only gave us better from devs and not them complaining about not having enough.

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
You can't say the switch is a dedicated handheld when they literally made a dedicated handheld version of it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
OP's Mass Effect Andromeda picture has to be one of the only flattering shots of that game I've seen, and I upgraded my PC for that game. :(

The environments and effects are good, but SO MANY of the faces are just garbage. PeeBee, Turians, and Salarians looked good, but the vast majority of human-like characters just looked bad. And I'm pretty sure PeeBee is the only unique Asari face in the game, all the others use the same face model and they just tweak the skin color and face marking locations (there's a cutscenes where 3-4 if them are walking together and it makes it super obvious). 1

ME1-3 hold up for me since they were last-gen games, but Andromeda (even having higher poly models and higher res) looks worse overall to me considering it was made this gen compared to other games (even DA:I had better done faces, even if they were a little less detailed in some cases).

Maybe if games didn't take so many more resources and more time to make this gen I'd feel better about a few games being bad.
But we only got one Dragon Age (cross gen) and one Mass Effect this gen and only one was any good.
Only one new Halo and one remaster/collection (didn't like 5 much either).
Only one Ratchet and Clank and it was a remake (a good one thankfully).
There hasn't been a single arcade racing game I've enjoyed nearly as much as Burnout from last gen (not a Forza/Forza Horizon fan).

Not saying there haven't been a decent amount of great games this gen because there absolutely have. Horizon ZD, God of War, Rare Replay, a lot of Switch games, etc. And indies have really stepped up more too, there have been a LOT of indie games I've loved, like The Witness and more recently Outer Wilds.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I much prefer this generation to last generation...

But, we did lack a huge RPG epic like Skyrim or Mass Effect this generation. So that's a huge bummer...

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
the internal studio output for me was better this gen, quality wise. Diversity was greater last generation, I second that

I think that this generation was a lot about refining things that worked the previous. Personally, and I obviously don't dislike refinement, I'd rather have something brand new and fresh. I'd rather play MAG and Puppeteer back to back more so than Infamous and God of War.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 360/PS3 gen is easily the worst
generation I've ever lived through. Maybe things are too similar if you're mindset isn't back in the 360 era. Maybe you don't like indie games or Japanese games. If you don't then I wouldn't see such a big change either.
And don't get me wrong, I liked last gen because it had some really good shit like Mass Effect, Uncharted and Dead Space, but the generation as a whole is still at the bottom.

Honestly, if you simplify it the same could be said about the PS2/XBOX to PS3/360 transition. Outside of open worlds it's more or less the same, just more refined and prettier looking.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Idk. The Switch is about equal to the Wii and Wii U in terms of games for me. The PS4 overall has better games than the PS3 but still no real follow up to the Mass Effect trilogy. I would say this gen overall is different, not necessarily better or worse.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Last gen was great but performance was awful.
So many games were you had to suffer headache inducing framerates

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I would say it is the opposite, many are just PS3 games ported to PS4. Some of my favorite Japanese RPG this gen are PS3 ports (Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Utawarerumono series)

I mean, still got a lot of great Japanese games that are not on PS3: Bloodborne, Sekiro, Nioh, Monster Hunter World, Dragon Quest XI, Nier Automata, Resident Evil 2, YS VIII, FFVII Remake, Devil May Cry V, etc.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I personally had a lot more fun across last gen than I did this one.

Edit: But there were still, of course, great experiences to be had this gen. But as a whole, last gen won out for me. Though my opinion could change with some of the last remaining big titles still to be released.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Isn't that pretty much always the case outside of Nintendo? And don't a lot of people want Nintendo to just do that too?

I mean, Nintendo really struck it with the whole hybrid system thing this gen, but in general, their change for change's sake doesn't always work out so well for them.

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Rocksteady stated they were not able to fit the Batmobile alone (forget the whole game) within the PS3's memory and you think Horizon Zero Dawn would have been feasible on PS3's tech. Come on now. You don't seem to understand how Memory Management seems to work in game development. 🤨😐
Anything can be slimmed down to accomodate.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Having all sports games and the majority of multiplayer games trying to scam me is "better"?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This was the game generation of homogenisation. Less ideas, better execution.

I don't think it was better. It feels like 90% of AAA games fit neatly into 4 or so gameplay formulas. The discovery is over.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
You just use less polygons and smaller textures, chum.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This really good video poped in the Youtube recommendations:

A lot of stuff are just as big now as they were and lot of predictions were correct.

No one saw the Battle Royale genre coming though.

In regards to graphics, naa, the leap is there. I can't look at games without ambient occlusion now