• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The weak CPU's held back this gen. Will be interesting to see how things change next gen when the machines have strong cpu, gpu and ssd's.

spindash

Apr 29, 2020
IMO the best thing about this generation is that locked 30 fps is much more common now.
Last gen comparisons were mostly "360/PS3, which port has the most frames per second?" but especially since the enhanced models came out, I feel the question is now more towards "which console has the most stable frame rate", which I find great.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest reasons i am looking forward to next gen is because this gen felt so samey. i think graphics received a massive bump, and combat systems got refined (sekiro, gow, anthem, ff7 horizon), but overall the game design has remained stagnant.

i am kind of tired of current gen, and i just need to be wowed again. not by graphics, or cutscenes or how big and open everything is, i want to see the same kind of leap we saw when we went from prince of persia to assassins creed.

and i believe the ssd and cpu are the key. i just hope the devs utilize it all.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I feel that for AAA games there wasn't all that much progress in terms of gameplay. Games looked better than ever but didn't necessarily play all that much different from last gen. Some of the most fun games I have played this gen have been on the least powerful console platform, the Nintendo Switch.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Agreed. Graphics for the first time took a step up, not a leap. And it looks to be that way going forward into the next but hopefully the SSD can make a difference on the design side.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Last gen was much better than this generation simply due to diversity and the quantity of games coming out. Though I will say 2017 of this generation is better than any year last gen. I just didn't feel true innovation and engenuity this generation aside from a FEW AAA and some indies. If you're talking simply graphics then of course. Next gen, in that regards, will be better than this gen.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not too beefy on ram. The other parts you mentioned, yeah they're beefy. But not on ram. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite them.

The speed of the ssd's should help with that, you don't need as much ram when you can load from ssd's are super fast speeds. Current gen needed a lot of ram due to how slow it was to load data, so a lot of the data needed for the next bit of gameplay had to reside in ram.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
This gen alone has given me 4 of my top 10 favourite games, Hollow Knight, Bloodborne, Divinity Original Sin 2, Witcher 3.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
Last gen was much better than this generation simply due to diversity and the quantity of games coming out. Though I will say 2017 of this generation is better than any year last gen. I just didn't feel true innovation and engenuity this generation aside from a FEW AAA and some indies. If you're talking simply graphics then of course. Next gen, in that regards, will be better than this gen.
What is your primary platform ?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much. Been similar experience, add Battle Royale games.

Not too many new gameplay experiences, when you think about it, it kinda does feel like an extension of last generation rather than a leap

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I think the last generation edged it, the three major platform holders were all firing out bangers, and the quantity of high-quality third party titles was far greater.

Mass Effect
Bioshock
GRAW
GTA
The Orange Box
Skyrim
Red Dead
Fighting games in general felt way more robust last gen
Dark Souls
Left 4 Dead
Mirrors Edge
Tomb Raider
Diablo 3
Dead Rising
Far Cry 2
Fallout
Vanquish
Bayonetta

Idk last gen just felt more exciting, but tbf Sony's first party output has improved exponentially from the plethora of failed titles last gen, so there's that.
Funny enough better versions of a majority of those titles are on this gen as well.

But you're definitely capping on the fighting game part. Street Fighter is the only game I could see that argued for and even that's up to debate. Guilty Gear hitting its stride and ASW in general between FighterZ, Granblue, and the end of the BB Saga, Under Night, Tekken, Pokken, Samsho's return, Killer Instinct, the best Smash game, various indie fighters like Them's Herds and Rivals, etc. Plus with a rumored MvC collection it's not even close.

Not to mention net code and online finally improving.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
There was a stretch last generation where I've never been less interested in video games. This generation swung things in the opposite direction: Booming AA & Indie scenes, thriving Japanese market, more PC crossover than ever, VR.. There's never been more choices or variety on consoles ever.

Western AAA takes longer to develop and don't take a ton of risks, but that's such a small chunk of what's out there.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
AAA quality went up up up, while AA existence went down down down. Not just from PS3 to PS4 but before that as well.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
It was great on PC but i lost all interest in consoles to the point i'll for sure to be skipping the next gen. Truth is that the games i enjoyed on handhelds either died or are now ported to PC thanks to vita's demise (it's amazing how this device failure changed things, no other console can pretend to have done anything of this caliber), nintendo series i cared about are all dead outside of metroid too which doesn't help (and even then you could argue it's in an undying state).
Indies really matured this gen and became the most exciting and vital experiences on offer.
No, it didn't really evolve. Indies were already exciting and "vital" experiences. Maybe you could argue that the indie vita push that then translated to home consoles was more visible but on PC it's really nothing new.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I like about this gen is that there are tons of games that "slow down". Uncharted 4 took it's time, Death Stranding is a chill hiking experience, Breath of the wild is a chill Physics Sandbox and a lot of other games got toned down spectacle-wise.

Last Gen everything was an In your face rollercoaster.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
One of the biggest reasons i am looking forward to next gen is because this gen felt so samey. i think graphics received a massive bump, and combat systems got refined (sekiro, gow, anthem, ff7 horizon), but overall the game design has remained stagnant.

i am kind of tired of current gen, and i just need to be wowed again. not by graphics, or cutscenes or how big and open everything is, i want to see the same kind of leap we saw when we went from prince of persia to assassins creed.

and i believe the ssd and cpu are the key. i just hope the devs utilize it all.
Yeah I thought it was just me, there were definitely improvements but it does feel the same for the most part.

Oct 30, 2017
PBR is the defining visual upgrade of this gen IMO.
But other than that, I found games looked and felt pretty darn similar to last gen with few exceptions.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough better versions of a majority of those titles are on this gen as well.

if by "better" you mean "remastered"?
Most of the franchises on that list had their best entries last generation. I think, that from the list, only Red Dead 2 is widely considered to be better than it's last gen entry. Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, and Far Cry 4 are arguable. I don't think any of the others got better this gen.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It was a much better generation as a fan of Japanese console games at the very least.

Came here to say this pretty much.

Would also say that last gen was full of AAA going all in on the 'cinematic' approach, whereas this gen, although that's still in many ways the case, the focus is now on gameplay systems and satisfying/reactive gameplay loops - things like Breath of the Wild's physics, enemies, food, etc., God of War's hammer, and so on.

Think this will be even more the case with the potential that the SSD brings to the table in terms of scope no longer restrained by masked loading screens.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
The games from last gen I really look back fondly on are Bioshock 1, Last of Us, Infamous 2, Batman series, Dead Space 1, Dragon Age Origins, ME2, Flower and Fight Night Champion.

This gen it was Bloodborne, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Devil May Cry 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 2, Ace Combat 7, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition(never played it before), Witcher 3, Batman, Sekiro, Jedi Fallen Order, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and even DBZ Kakarot. There was also a lot of remasters I enjoyed and some old itches got scratched with Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3, even if they weren't what I'd hoped.

I miss Fight Night but I've had an overall better time this gen.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Meanwhile, the Indie game scene continues to grow exponentially. There are so many fresh, creative, and high quality experiences from Indie game studios that are being overlooked in this discussion.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Revolution of indie scenes, a lot great indie games
VR
Cinematic, more story focused games transcending genres and games as a whole
Switch - probably best console ever
return of Resident Evil
The Last of Us Part II
Gamepass and Xbox comeback
Building BC for future consoles
Growing game business.

... there is a lot more. This gen was surely more than just upgrade for the last one.

Nov 8, 2017
That's not how I remember it.

On my PS4:

Amplitude
Audica
Beat Saber
Cosmophony
Deemo
DJMax Respect
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA X & Future Tone
Invector
Musynx
Persona 3/4/5 Dancing
Space Channel 5 VR
Superbeat Xonic
Taiko no Tatsujin
Thumper

On my PS3:

DJ Hero
Guitar Hero series
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA f/f 2nd
Retro/Grade
Rock Band series
Space Channel 5 Part 2

I guess it's possible that I missed out on a lot of good rhythm games on my PS3?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't know, I just started playing The Last of Us Remastered to preparation for Part II and it looks horrible. Lighting, environment details, character animations.

We've come a looooong way this gen for AAA compared to PS360.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
What Japanese console games are you guys referring to?

Last gen Japanese games lived in handhelds, and they were pretty damn good: Monster Hunter, Hotel dusk, Pheonix Wright, 999, Devil Survivor, Trauma Centre, EBA, final fantasy, kingdom hearts, megaman, phantasy star, dragon quest etc...

I think I had more fun with the handheld games, games were so strong they were shitting on first party Nintendo offerings

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow how exciting. If we're talking about iterative capability then every generation is better than the last generation and this entire thread is pointless.
The premise of the thread is "last gen but better" so that was just reinforcing that thesis, which was my point. But in terms of just new games, obviously anyone could put together a list as big as that or bigger with notable titles from this gen.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I've felt like we've been on an evolutionary journey and not a revolutionary one since last gen.

We've had some incredible gains in rendering (as expected?) but I've not seen anything truly revolutionary from the gameplay side of things aside from things happening in VR. This has me concerned for how I'll adopt to this upcoming gen. I've seen the usually "things will look better" and "things will load faster" being touted but those things are hard for me to get too excited about these days.

Switch's play anywhere concept, VR, VR controls, Gyro controls, larger player counts in online games....those were the biggest wins IMO.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The visual leap was huge in AAA games but yeah it was more an evolution than a revolution.

Next gen will be more of a revolution imo because of the ways the CPU's and SSD's will allow new types of experiences to exist.

Oct 25, 2017
- Way more and better indies
- VR (a genuinely fresh exprerience, with masterpieces like Lone Echo, Astro Bot and Half-Life Alyx)
- Wide-linearity
- More immersive sims and immersive sim style agency in games (not just games like Prey, but things lke Breath of the Wild and Hitman as well)
- More AA games (companies like Focus and THQ are basically build on it)
- Japanese games doing much better, including Capcom's return to form and From being more succesful than ever
- Better mechanics in big budget games (like DOOM Eternal)
- Better services, like Gamepass

I don't think anything last gen touched games like Bloodborne, Sekiro, The Last Guardian, DOOM, Astro Bot, Prey and Breath of the Wild for me. Or indies like The Witness, Outer Wilds, SOMA, Inside, Hollow Knight, Obra DInn etc.
Last gen was way more shallow. Just compare Hitman Absolution to Hitman (2), any of its shooters to DOOM (Eternal) and Titanfall 2 or Bioshock to Prey.

Should be noted that this gen isn't over yet, with some high-profile games like The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima still to come.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As a consumer of mainly Japanese games this generation was a massive improvement compared to last gen. You might even call last gen a lost generation for me. I guess for Western games there have been more high profile disappointments this gen like Mass Effect: A, Anthem, Fallout 76, etc.

MrJolly

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I think some of the developments around physically based rendering, better AA, reconstruction and general image quality improvements has been a big step forward this gen

The image quality improvement has made such a difference this gen - i remember a number of cutting edge titles from the PS3 era, seeing amazing images and gifs leading up to release and yet when it was on my TV in front of me the results always felt underwhelming. GT5 was a big offender with this in mind - it pushed technology so hard and the detail and model complexity was unlike anything we'd seen before and yet all i could see on my screen was jaggies, stair step shadows and shimmering, it was really distracting.

For all the criticism this current gen has received i've been amazed by the visuals that have come out of it - Horizon, RDR2 and GoW in particular have pretty much worn out my share button, they just look like they shouldn't be possible on a 1.8TF GPU and a borderline obsolete CPU.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the changes are about animation, mood and how the image all comes together. Not great for screenshots

Weve had amazing looking screenshots since the PS2 days, lots of Silent Hill 3 gifs were used whenever a PS3 game didnt look quite next gen

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this gen just provided developers with the hardware required to do what they wanted to do last gen.

A lot of those 360/PS3 games were fine looking games with a lot of empty spaces because the hardware had trouble filling them with anything.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably not wrong for a lot of cases, the consoles this gen were stronger but they weren't exactly powerhouses even when they launched. It's natural that the improvements wouldn't be complete shifts for the industry.
Over all I think I prefer last gen's games but this gen everything sort of clicked. Especially for open world games. On PS360 any decent open world was a juddery mess and the graphics were far worse than the better looking linear games. Now suddenly we have RDR2, Horizon, Days Gone and various other open worlds that look as good as any other game and actually run at a stable frame rate.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, what is this 'a weak gen for RPGs nonsense? Some of the most acclaimed RPGs of all time (Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Divinity Original Sin 2, Disco Elysium) came out this gen.

Oct 29, 2017
Switch is so different from the Wii I just can't agree. Plus there's how indies have spread from PC to console more broadly.

This gen is better in other ways than simply improving what was already there.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I always think of last-gen as two completely different eras. Pre-2010, the age of the ridiculous looking PS3, dying Xboxes, piss-filters, horrid performances and shallow gameplay. We've had a good revolutionary AAA game back then, Gears, which everybody proceeded to mindlessly copy for a few years.
It was the absolute rock bottom.

After devs got the hang of the tools and the tools themselves evolved, creativity kicked in and we got some pretty good games.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
A couple of months ago I was having a conversation with some colleagues on another platform about something like this.

I argued that generations of consoles go in "pairs". The first revolutionizes and the second improves. I divided, from the 3rd generation:

NES - Establishes 2D games and their main rules.
SNES - Evolve 2D games and refine.

PlayStation - Establishes 3D games and their main rules.
PlayStation 2 - Refine 3D games and expand them.

Xbox 360 - Establishes HD games and online connectivity.
PlayStation 4 - Support FHD games and solve most online problems.

PlayStation 5 - Establish 4K games, streaming and new limits with SSD?
PlayStation 6 - PS5 refinement.

So, this generation is part, in my view, of the set of "even" generations that serve as a refinement of the previous revolution. So it is easier to take advantage of this generation than the previous one, but it is less impactful as well.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I enjoyed this gen much more than last. I just wasn't a fan of the motion control gimmicks and the influx of fps games.

The japanese development of games picked back up again this gen, which was terrible last gen.

Indie games outputs are much higher quality than last gen.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This gen is just last generation, but less. Like, yeah, we've got some better looking, better playing games. A lot fewer of them. I haven't been anywhere near as impressed by this gen as some of you have, because I remember how last gen was just this constant deluge of quality new games in a way that this gen just wasn't.

Uncharted 4 does look a lot better than Uncharted 2! I'll give you that.
...but last gen, Uncharted was still fresh and novel, and I played three of them.
That's last gen vs. this gen in a nutshell right there

Still played some of my faves this gen but yea