• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
No, CDPR is not one hivemind, CDPR is formed by different people from different cultures and backgrounds, saying that a whole studio is anti-trans and anti-queer is bullshit and you know that, especially when people from CDPR attended the Warsaw Pride Parade recently.

This keeps happening, and no amount of tokenism is going to undo the harmful behavior and apathy shown by CDPR as a whole.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Forgive me for being snippy after posting that twitter thread for the 10th time

No problem, I was the one that should try to get the context before posting.
It just stroke me in a wrong way when someone that is close to me and its part of the LGBT community made it look like something good and reading here I only saw negative posts.
In the end the important thing is to look for information before making assumptions so Im glad everyone here educated me on the subject, gave me a new perspective into this process of evolution that I mentioned in my first post.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
But we have not come to expect that from CD Projekt Red. Their history in regards to respecting LGBTQ+ discussions is not good, and this being how they treat trans representation in their first trailers is not a good show. And I don't think we need to expect good representation from them because this reputation is what they built for themselves.

I don't expect CD Projekt Red to treat minorities well just like I don't expect Quantic Dream to make a good 2D fighting game or Dodgeroll to make a 3D open-world RPG. It's just not what they made me think of them.

I guess I tend to separate marketing from actual in-game writing. A lot of CDPR issues have been marketing, which while unforgivable doesn't necessarily point to the game writing itself being horrendous. While not perfect, I thought they dealt with some heady topics in the Witcher games adequately. The marketing team pulling out a screenshot like this is not a good look, I admit, because it needs contextual explanation prior to being revealed, but it doesn't necessarily mean there will not be actual trans representation in the game that's well done. Hell we don't even really know if it's CDPR that pulled it or NVIDIA anyway. Obviously I would think CDPR would have to approve everything, but again that approval likely wouldn't be the in-game writers.

I know a lot of people cannot separate marketing from in-game writing, and that's fine. Hell that's marketing's fucking job is to be what you think of when you think of the game. So yeah I definitely don't blame you for it.

As I said, I hope there's more to the writing, because if there isn't then the game itself fails because this should be a thematic pillar in the universe. If they can't do this then they can't really do anything.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
I'm honestly not sure of the correlation you're trying to make.
Insulting a group for inflicting pain upon others is not the same as insulting a group which pain is being inflicted upon.

It is not hypocritical to oppose an oppressive group while not opposing a persecuted group, but that is the false equivalence you are creating.

Your thought process is likely that by saying "straight males" the person is stereotyping a group and saying that all straight males are bad, and you think you're opposing all examples of "stereotyping a group", but the reality is that everyone who says "ugh straight/white/rich/whatever" is obviously referring specifically to those who use their privilege for oppression. There is obvious persecution of one group by another, so we need to be able to call it out -- when you say you can't generalize oppressive groups as if it's just as bad as generalizing oppressed groups, you're missing the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns of transphobia in sensitive thread
Wolfenstein has swastika, are the devs glorifying Hitler? No!
Are those kind of ads realistic to appear in a cyberpunk setting? Yes! Why should we measure what's right or wrong in a dystopian future setting by today's standards? That's ridiculous in my eyes

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this a "clever" and fast way to market an ingame-drink that let you change your gender? Other rpgs let you change your skills/etc. with a specific potion.

When I first saw that ad I thought it was advertising skin changing because chrome as a root word refers to exterior surface and the woman has wildly different skin tones over her body.

But because the manticure sounds so similar to manticore it could also be a gender changing potion but I doubt it.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why is it okay to say one and not the other then.

Isn't that rampantly hypocritical?

Oh please

I'm not going to feel bad for calling out douche bags who have decided to make my life difficult. It's fact and I am tired of the straight males on this site and how they throw out dismissive attitudes because it doesn't concern them but want to play the victims when people come after them.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Not gonna lie, I don't hate it (when taken out of context of all the earlier shit they did). I don't find the content of the poster inherently bad, if a trans woman made such content I'd be like "that's fuckin rad."

Rather have "trans woman are sexy" content than "trans woman are a disgusting joke" content. ...It's something! Still not buying this game though.

(Cis people, don't quote this post and say "See she doesn't hate it! You're just sensitive!!" I can 100% see why this would irk some people, we're not a hivemind, etc etc)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are those kind of ads realistic to appear in a cyberpunk setting? Yes! Why should we measure what's right or wrong in a dystopian future setting by today's standards? That's ridiculous in my eyes
That's ignoring the meta context though. While it can be handled well in the full game, at this point in time you really can't separate this from CDPR's past.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Oh please

I'm not going to feel bad for calling out douche bags who have decided to make my life difficult. It's fact and I am tired of the straight males on this site and how they throw out dismissive attitudes because it doesn't concern them but want to play the victims when people come after them.
Well, I am sorry for those hateful idiots that make your life difficult. I don't wish to be one of those people.

I didn't mean to appear dismissive of trans and gay issues.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a different matter because Wolfenstein is directly commenting on nazism. If a game just had swastikas everywhere and said nothing about it, it would be at least weird.

To be fair, we don't know if the game has anything positive to say on this matter yet, but a common thing between people criticizing this is that they mention CDPR's history handling this. They're not condemning the game just because of this ad.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
My post from the other Cyberpunk thread concerning the stereotyping of specific groups that I also think could apply to this:

My problem with the pre-release footage is that it's hard to distinguish between the tones CDPR are trying to pull off. So when you start to see problematic shit, it's difficult to parse through what they deem to be commentary on the Cyberpunk genre ( i.e. a look at social issues, others have mentioned themes like transhumanism) and what they deem to be edgy and cool. When this company is known for some other concerning things, it's going to get increasingly muddy as to what they as creators are endorsing and what they are trying to say as criticism for the window dressing of this world.

For this instance, it's really unclear what the context surrounding the ad is. Is it commentary on how mega corps would use the blurred lines of sexuality to sell products, using age old marketing of 'sex sells', or is merely just an ignorant joke? Hopefully the former but fearing the latter.

Oct 28, 2017
This means literally nothing when their work shows otherwise.

Are we just referring to their GoG twitter posts at this point?

I don't think I'm convinced yet. Fetishisation, especially concerning gender representation, is a well-worn trope of Cyberpunk settings. It should really have been expected from the beginning.

I'm kind of split on how to judge it. On the one hand, I get the fact that your average audience lacks the critical thinking ability to divorce a representation like this from reality. On the other hand, Cyberpunk is a self-assuredly dystopian setting - High-tech, low life etc etc. Its purpose is to explore the limits of exploitation.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How is this thread a good time to bring up overreactions? 🤔

From my perspective it seemed like he was saying lgbt people are really sensitive. The point i was making is that everyone, not just lgbt, can be really sensitive while also saying that this was not one of those times. That way no one will try and twist my words in a snarky response.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I tend to separate marketing from actual in-game writing. A lot of CDPR issues have been marketing, which while unforgivable doesn't necessarily point to the game writing itself being horrendous. While not perfect, I thought they dealt with some heady topics in the Witcher games adequately. The marketing team pulling out a screenshot like this is not a good look, I admit, because it needs contextual explanation prior to being revealed, but it doesn't necessarily mean there will not be actual trans representation in the game that's well done. Hell we don't even really know if it's CDPR that pulled it or NVIDIA anyway. Obviously I would think CDPR would have to approve everything, but again that approval likely wouldn't be the in-game writers.

I know a lot of people cannot separate marketing from in-game writing, and that's fine. Hell that's marketing's fucking job is to be what you think of when you think of the game. So yeah I definitely don't blame you for it.

As I said, I hope there's more to the writing, because if there isn't then the game itself fails because this should be a thematic pillar in the universe. If they can't do this then they can't really do anything.
I still think that is giving them too much credit. It's a company. An organization. If they can't talk to each other and make their position clear on real world issues (marketing is connected to the real world, and the writing is representative of the real world), then their incompetence at this internal communication should not be excused. It's not like The Witcher 3 was written by Roxane Gay.

Nothing that CDPR ever made has convinced me that they can make anything more than a crunch-enabled edgy blockbuster aimed at hungry alienated eyes and the most insecure channers. But with great graphics.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
For what it's worth, which probably won't be much to many... as a straight white male seeing this ad, nothing to me signified anything negative towards the trans community.

They have talked about the game exploring body modification and transhumanism, and how that is commonplace in the world. To me, that being on an advertisement signifies that people are open and accepting of others regardless of their outward appearances/genders/sexualities/what have you. It didnt feel like (to me) it was making a joke at the expense of the character on the ad, or demonizing them for their body. The size and prominent display of the penis to me shows that this person is completely comfortable in their body, and that body modification of sexual body parts is probably pretty common in this world (as it already is in our world, with breast enlargements and reductions, butt implants, circumcision, etc)

That said, I understand the concern from others in this thread (especially with some of the things on social media previously), and I want to be clear I am not using my opinion as a means to silence yours. I just think in the context of this world that they have built, this ad didn't feel out of place to me or like it was taking a cheap shot/making fun of/demonizing anyone. But again, I totally respect your feelings if you did feel the opposite

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Insulting a group for inflicting pain upon others is not the same as insulting a group which pain is being inflicted upon.

It is not hypocritical to oppose an oppressive group while not opposing a persecuted group, but that is the false equivalence you are creating.

Your thought process is likely that by saying "straight males" the person is stereotyping a group and saying that all straight males are bad, and you think you're opposing all examples of "stereotyping a group", but the reality is that everyone who says "ugh straight/white/rich/whatever" is obviously referring specifically to those who use their privilege for oppression. There is obvious persecution by one group on another, so we need to be able to call it out -- when you say you can't generalize oppressive groups as if it's just as bad as generalizing oppressed groups, you're missing the forest for the trees.

That was my thought process and I apologise. Stereotyping is dangerous and lazy no matter who it's aimed at. Looking back it was a rash post mindlessly posted.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Are we just referring to their GoG twitter posts at this point?

I don't think I'm convinced yet. Fetishisation, especially concerning gender representation, is a well-worn trope of Cyberpunk settings. It should really have been expected from the beginning.

I'm kind of split on how to judge it. On the one hand, I get the fact that your average audience lacks the critical thinking ability to divorce a representation like this from reality. On the other hand, Cyberpunk is a self-assuredly dystopian setting - High-tech, low life etc etc. Its purpose is to explore the limits of exploitation.

Once again, the issue here is that many don't trust CDPR with exploring those themes considering their history with transphobia.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm of the mind that if games are trying to depict a realistic world, in the lore sense, they shouldn't shy away from this stuff even if it's uncomfortable for a lot of people. This seems on brand in the world, just like a shit head saying "cocksucker" in one of the trailers. Hey that guy sucks because that's his personality.

I will admit I'm an ignorant straight white male and don't see a lot of issue with this personally. I respect those who do though and if there's enough outrage I'll support it if it makes people that uncomfortable that they need to change it or whatever.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I still think that is giving them too much credit. It's a company. An organization. If they can't talk to each other and make their position clear on real world issues (marketing is connected to the real world, and the writing is representative of the real world), then their incompetence at this internal communication should not be excused. It's not like The Witcher 3 was written by Roxane Gay.

Nothing that CDPR ever made has convinced me that they can make anything more than a crunch-enabled edgy blockbuster aimed at hungry alienated eyes and the most insecure channers. But with great graphics.

Marketing departments can be pretty hilariously disconnected from others in the company. A lot of times it's outsourced and really doesn't touch the actual creatives making the product.

And I suppose if that's how you see CDPR then I don't blame you. There's no game the game won't be absolute shit for you. I found the writing on Witcher 3 to be a head better than most other games. Not perfect, mind you, but in the gaming landscape really good. I really don't see how W3 was made for the most insecure channers, so I'd be interested to see how or why it was to you.

Jan 11, 2019
That's ignoring the meta context though. While it can be handled well in the full game, at this point in time you really can't separate this from CDPR's past.

Indeed, at this point we :

- cannot praise CDPR for an accurate and tasteful representation of a tasteless future.
- condemn CDPR for a shitty hot-take bro-fantasy lol dingdongs lololol rofl check out this transdong lol tone-deafness.
- blindly praise the game based on what has been shown so far.
- blindly condemn the game solely based on CDPRs actions and statements in the past.

So instead might we have a constructive discussion based on might-be scenarios? This thread is kinda getting derailed by users who aren't able to think in scenarios such as "Let's ASSUME CDPR's past actions are representative of the tone in cyberpunk". Or: "Let's ASSUME this ad makes a ton of sense within the game world." Because without them we can't really have a discussion because we're missing all of the context... But it's a fascinating discussion regardless, about a company making a media product about a bullshit society for a society that is slowly but surely getting fed up with bullshit. In a weird sense, this whole thread here is futuristic as fuck.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
You're absolutely right. And I don't see how people think it's okay (or efficient) to fight discrimination with more discrimination. It's just stupid.
Discriminating against oppressors is not the same as discriminating against the oppressed. Especially when the "discrimination" is telling them not to include offensive content about oppressed people.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
You're absolutely right. And I don't see how people think it's okay (or efficient) to fight discrimination with more discrimination. It's just stupid.
It's more the stereotyping of straight males all being ignorant to causes like trans issues.

I don't like any sort of stereotyping really and don't find it conducive to producing positive discussions surrounding said issues.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
From my perspective it seemed like he was saying lgbt people are really sensitive. The point i was making is that everyone, not just lgbt, can be really sensitive while also saying that this was not one of those times. That way no one will try and twist my words in a snarky response.
Oh ok.

CassioAug

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Discriminating against oppressors is not the same as discriminating against the oppressed. Especially when the "discrimination" is telling them not to include offensive content about oppressed people.
"White straight men" is not the opressor. Transphobics, homophobics, racists and other intolerant groups are.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
You're absolutely right. And I don't see how people think it's okay (or efficient) to fight discrimination with more discrimination. It's just stupid. If we want a equal society, respect and tolerance must be universal.
Yeah man, lbtq people should bridge the gap and stop being annoyed toward ignorant cis white people.

this is sarcasm, just to be sure.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm a bi male, so perhaps there's something that I'm missing or that I just don't understand here but I don't personally see anything wrong with it, but also without context of how society in the game handles it it's a bit harder to tell.

I feel like, and please feel free to yell at me and tell me if I'm wrong, but in a future where this is normalized across the board and is accepted by the majority rather than the minority that advertising like this seems... fine? If sex and being transgender is something is something that is going to be accepted by the masses then it's not like sex is going to stop being used to sell product. Add on top of that that they've already stated that they're going to show people off/bodies off that are outside of what's currently widely regarded as socially acceptable, likely because they'll be handling topics like this and body modification... I hardly think it's fetishization.

I'm sure I could say all this a bit more eloquently, but my brain is fried at the moment. I can understand why some people could see it as being misrepresentation or fetishzation given the record of some people at the company, but within the context of the game I'd not be suprised to see advertising like this that spans humans and robots, cis and trans, gay and straight people, etc.

The advertisement frames the body on display as "mixing it up." Were this kind of configuration normalized, "mixing it up" would make as much sense applied to the model's genitals as it would some dude today posing for a similar ad wearing a green shirt and blue jeans. The message implies abnormality, exoticism, and fetish. And since the only feature that appears to distinguish the model from any number of women you see in the setting is her prominent erect penis in center frame, it's pretty clear that that feature is the focus of the advert's fascination. That's what the artist depicts as abnormal, "mixed up;" desireable as an erotic novelty but not respected as authentic or legitimate.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
"White straight men" is not the opressor. Transphobics, homophobics, racists and other intolerant groups are.
No, because not all transphobics + homophobes + racists have the same amount of power in this country. Almost all groups are ignorant to trans issues. Straight males are the most significant oppressors of those communities though, and are also in the best position to change that, so they're the ones that get called out.

It's also totally ignoring that being annoyed at a group that is oppressing you is normal, while being annoyed at a group doing nothing to you is not. Why this difference doesn't matter to you, that's for you to figure out.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
You're absolutely right. And I don't see how people think it's okay (or efficient) to fight discrimination with more discrimination. It's just stupid. If we want a equal society, respect and tolerance must be universal.

How about we get to an equal society first? Then we can discuss niceties. The currently oppressed are always going to have a negative opinion about oppressors. This isn't surprising, and them succumbing to decorum isn't going to get them equality any fucking faster. In fact history teaches us the opposite.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is not the ad alone, that doesn't exist in a vacuum so don't pretend it does.

The issue is this ad is from a company who has proven to make dismissive and even transphobic comments with the apology of "sorry if you were offended".

In this context, surely you can see the issue?

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marketing departments can be pretty hilariously disconnected from others in the company. A lot of times it's outsourced and really doesn't touch the actual creatives making the product.

And I suppose if that's how you see CDPR then I don't blame you. There's no game the game won't be absolute shit for you. I found the writing on Witcher 3 to be a head better than most other games. Not perfect, mind you, but in the gaming landscape really good. I really don't see how W3 was made for the most insecure channers, so I'd be interested to see how or why it was to you.
This is not the first time something like this has happened. And yet the heads of the company still outsource to the same guys? That tells me a lot.

The writing in The Witcher 3 was good, in terms of disconnected power fantasy. If we start talking about representation of real world problems, it's a different story. One thing is writing fiction as if the real world didn't exist. Just pure fun and escapism.

Writing about gender issues, identity, politics and stuff that involves commenting on real problems? Not sure about that. Not with what was shown until now. If the straight white protagonism and the trans objectification are what they want us to expect from this game, then I know who they are targeting.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Oh please

wait what? did you really just say what you did?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao so we cant criticize this because its fantasy, sure okay.
That ridiculous comparison to Hitler is so braindead stupid as well, read what you just wrote, goddamn.

Status
Not open for further replies.