• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So like not one of you have discussed OP's Other issue and my MAIN issue, the repeats

Any time a game is repeated could have either been time saved or could have gone to another game.

Is it really that hard for planners to be like "oh shit you're showing that game off too? Let's try to show something else?" Can't help but feel people are still getting left out when they shouldn't be.

you realize that there's still a pandemic going on, right

No shit Holmes, that's not an excuse. If there isn't that much new stuff to show that's great, end it earlier and don't drag it out!

Op mentioned that Curation was important and none of you have disproved that. Curation did happen, but the issue here is that it lacking, not non existent.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PS5 show had a ton of indies.

Screenshot_20200615-084038_YouTube.jpg

It did not make any BLM statements during the show.

And to be fair the indies Sony showed mostly looked AAA.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
First: Calling those games shit is the real shitty move.

But I don't think disliking the videos because you are shown games you don't like is a problem either. They're "selling" this as different PC gaming shows when they are not. They are a collection of different Indie Game shows, but I suspect they don't want to title them like that for marketing reasons. I know I wouldn't spend the 20 minutes I threw yesterday down the drain watching a reel of games I just don't care about. I won't lose a minute today, if something that's interesting to me gets announced between or after X minutes of indie games I don't care about I'll just watch the trailer later. But none of what I said means those games are shit. It's a critique of the show, not the games themselves. Also, the show may be good for people wanting to show their games to the public, but that doesn't mean it's enjoyable for the viewers.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Op mentioned that Curation was important and none of you have disproved that. Curation did happen, but the issue here is that it lacking, not non existent.

No, this is what the OP said: " It's painfully obvious there was no curation at all". That is completely different from what you said.

To which many, including myself as someone who previously had a game at the PCGS, said that they are incorrect, and that there absolutely is curation.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I admit that these multi day large streams like IGNs, and the Guerilla Collective, i largely tune out and rely on media coverage to see the highlights. It's too much of a time investment, and too much of it is filler

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What specific kind of game was that? I watched it as well and looking over the list and there is a wide variety of content they showed from a wide variety of genres including

Jrpg
Tactics rpg
Farming sim
Fps
A narrative focused thriller
Rts
Souls-like
Survival
Dungeon crawl
Survival horror
Card game
Third person shooter
Spaceship combat
Turn based strategy
Open world
Roguelike

That isn't to say everything is going to appeal to you, but I dunno how you watched the show and thought it lacked variety.

PC Gaming show last year announced Evil Genius 2, shown the first look at Vampire Bloodlines 2, Chivalry 2, a new trailer of Shenmue III, announced the gorgeous CrisTales, and probably other stuff I forgot.
This year was mostly repeat, and listing the genres as they are hide that we've already seen most of those games either the previous years or at other shows. Again, the biggest announcement was a PSVita port that was available to buy 30 minutes before the actual show.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't know why you can't just say "none of the A and indie games interested me" and just leave it at that.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I felt the same. Lots of stuff that felt extremely derivative and ended up drowning out more interesting stuff. Just proves once again that putting together a good show is extremely difficult and that you have to be a bit selective.

Compare it to the PS5 reveal which felt rather snappy and had really good software variety.
To be fair, even the Sony show had three games where the premise revolved around the main character dying and and coming back over and over and over.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is what the OP said: " It's painfully obvious there was no curation at all". That is completely different from what you said.

To which many, including myself as someone who previously had a game at the PCGS, said that they are incorrect, and that there absolutely is curation.

That's not what the OP or thread title said though

I guess I read OP wrong then.

To be perfectly honest is seems to me that were just splitting hairs since we all know that there is a problem with the curation but ok.

OP should revise the OP

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
PC Gaming show last year announced Evil Genius 2, shown the first look at Vampire Bloodlines 2, Chivalry 2, a new trailer of Shenmue III, announced the gorgeous CrisTales, and probably other stuff I forgot.
This year was mostly repeat, and listing the genres as they are hide that we've already seen most of those games either the previous years or at other shows. Again, the biggest announcement was a PSVita port that was available to buy 30 minutes before the actual show.

So showing a new trailer for an already announced game last year was okay because it was a game you were interested in, but not okay this year because you weren't

Gotcha

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Consolidating them would come at the cost of kicking out many games for which a show like this is the best chance at getting some eye balls. I find it strange that people complain about having too many shows that no one is forcing them to watch, considering how extremely helpful they can be for some indie developers.
Serious question tho, how many eyeballs do you think an indie game gets in these shows? you get a demo, or a trailer for a minute or so, and then its on to the next game, by the time the next game is on display, the previous game is already forgotten.

we had 3 massive indie game events on one day

June 13th
PC game show - 52 games shown in 75 minutes
Future game show - 35 games shown in 80 minutes
Guerrilla Collective day 1 - 44 games shown in 90 minutes

then on the 14th
Guerrilla Collective day 2 - 69 games shown in 120 minutes

that is 200 games in two days.. how much exposure do you think a game will get when its thrown at you like this.

There is no talk on any of these games because you need to watch a boringly presented show that is an hour to two hours long and you are lucky that you find a game you get interested in. its an overload to the viewer. I watched one of the easy allies reaction streams of one of these events and afterwards they maybe had one or two games they could talk about in a recap and they had issues even talking about those since it was such a dump of games (not in quality, but in load) that gets thrown at you.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. For me since inception, the PC Gaming Show was the only part of E3 I actually tuned in for games and not to shitpost about big companies being way up their own asses. Didn't change much this year and I still enjoyed it.

Honestly, I feel like most problems with the other shows just come down to their lack of experience more than anything.

Oct 27, 2017
I was excited to catch the streams, but I ended up tuning out shortly after the 4 non-descript card battling trailers which were all clumped in at the beginning of Guerrilla Collective Day 1. It really killed my enthusiasm for any of the other shows.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I honestly didn't even know there had been shows since the PS5 because I've heard absolutely nothing. That's a shame.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
reading isnt that hard

I mean, you keep telling people to read the OP, but you somehow seem to ignore all the people who have done so and are pointing out that your claim that there is no curation for these shows is objectively wrong. Weird how that works?

Serious question tho, how many eyeballs do you think an indie game gets in these shows? you get a demo, or a trailer for a minute or so, and then its on to the next game, by the time the next game is on display, the previous game is already forgotten.

I think what can be even more helpful (if you are lucky) is the secondary/ knock-on effect of a games writer or influencer seeing your game at one of these shows, and having their interest piqued enough to follow up on it. Just being part of such a show by itself obviously isn't a guarantee that your game will succeed, but it can (if you are lucky) be quite helpful. Which is the best you can hope for, after all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you keep telling people to read the OP, but you somehow seem to ignore all the people who have done so and are pointing out that your claim that there is no curation for these shows is objectively wrong. Weird how that works?

bruh
if the nitpick is to change "there's no curation" to "curation sucks", the point of the OP doesn't change and is still "curation should be much better"

Did you watch last year's? Because it followed the same exact formula, complete with inspired and uninspired games.

yes, like all of the shows since the first one, and no, it was better, for the reasons i already said in an earlier post here

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I think the hate is overstated. Advertising like this always helps but you bring up enough good points that these companies should carefully consider.

For example, it actually is a good idea to be present on as many of these streams as possible. No one expects most people to watch the same streams so it makes sense to maximize exposure. But because there is a risk of some people watching the same streams you don't want them publicly bad mouthing the game in front of those watching it for the first time.

The best way to resolve this is make sure you have different content.

Most games that did repeat used the footage like Haven. And even for me that was boring.

But there was some games that came out with an entirely different videos. Evil geniuses 2 had done that. More importantly for me Almighty Kill Your Gods had done this because the first video left a poor impression. Changing things up can help getting across your ideas.

stream started with "fuck the police" and got disliked to hell and back
add to that all the people that were waiting for Bloodborne at the end, god knows why
Your biases are apparent. Thanks for sharing your terrible Fox News distorted view point.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I love indie games, therefore I enjoy these shows. However, they need to space them out and be cognizant of what is in each. There is no reason to see the same game three times in a weekend. There is no reason to show 200+ games over a single weekend. Space it out. Do a show every month, allowing a game to be publicized closer to release. Seems like these shows do better with shadow drops as compared to "wishlist this and it may release later this year".

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I think what can be even more helpful (if you are lucky) is the secondary/ knock-on effect of a games writer or influencer seeing your game at one of these shows, and having their interest piqued enough to follow up on it. Just being part of such a show by itself obviously isn't a guarantee that your game will succeed, but it can (if you are lucky) be quite helpful. Which is the best you can hope for, after all.
so guerrilla collective had the most games on a single day, 69, and that showing got 1500 views, total.
the first show, with 44 games had 2950 views .. that is very little exposure for 113 games
I have to add that the reaction streams like those of easy allies probably added far more than those core streams (edit: altho after checking, their PC gaming show stream only had 290 views) , but still I think these shows to more harm than good, especially when you have them piled ontop like this

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
This month sucks because we have real shit going on in the world that no video game announcement can take our minds of but also because this drip feed of games is stupid.

If this was any other year we would've already gotten console, games, price and maybe even date announcement for the PS5 and the XSX plus from EA, Ubi and every other big developer. Nintendo would have also shown their cards.

Anyone saying this is better is kidding themselves.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the hate is overstated. Advertising like this always helps but you bring up enough good points that these companies should carefully consider.

For example, it actually is a good idea to be present on as many of these streams as possible. No one expects most people to watch the same streams so it makes sense to maximize exposure. But because there is a risk of some people watching the same streams you don't want them publicly bad mouthing the game in front of those watching it for the first time.

The best way to resolve this is make sure you have different content.

Most games that did repeat used the footage like Haven. And even for me that was boring.

But there was some games that came out with an entirely different videos. Evil geniuses 2 had done that. More importantly for me Almighty Kill Your Gods had done this because the first video left a poor impression. Changing things up can help getting across your ideas.

Your biases are apparent. Thanks for sharing your terrible Fox News distorted view point.

Agreed. I don't mind having a ton of trailers in a fast paced show, that's why I tune in. I just note whatever's interesting and then wishlist the games on steam.

The issue becomes apparent when I note games for the third or fourth time in two days because they keep repeating trailers/footages.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Tarkov map aside, the PC show was the most dreadful experience I've ever had watching a live game stream and I've followed the industry since the first E3. 95% of the games were absolutely terrible looking.

I'm all for Indie showcases as I play and enjoy a bunch of them on the regular, but it does seem that the quality bar was much lower this year. There was some stuff in there that looked like actual shovelware peppered around (verging on asset flip vibes tbh).

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think people expect more show stoppers, more Horizons, Spider-Mans, Cyberpunks, etc. The indies are always a segment in a conference, and that's it.

I think the more space we give to indie developers, the better. With the cost of development rising as always in each generation, if only these AAA games were showed, we would have 20 minutes shows.
But the PC focused showcases have always been indie games first and foremost. I don't get this sudden annoyance that they were 98% indie game showcases

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's boring seeing the same trailer in every stream. I ended up closing out and I don't think I'm going to watch any of the others either. I'm sick of seeing Goldfarb talk about his dumb game in every stream.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Generally, if you're looking for a show that reveals the big flashy PC exclusives, Gamescom is your best bet. That said, there were still complaints during last Gamescom when there were apparently too many strategy and simulation games even though that's largely the last bastion of big budget PC gaming.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
These shows have always been indie first, but the contrast with all the PS5/Series X announcements this year (and super recently) probably had people expecting more.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They showcased some of the same games they had last year but everything was totally new content.

It's definitely unusual for the pc gaming show to have done this because this is the first time they ever did this but keep in mind this is something the bigger conferences do repeatedly and they too many times don't show anything new which is even worse.

Heck the PS5 event hyped up GTA5 even though they had nothing worth announcing.

These showcases and conferences need more than curation. They need better judgement on when and how to repeat showing off a game.

They need to show off new content to keep things fresh for enthusiasts and mitigate bad first impressions.

If a game gets repeated a year or 2 later it needs to have a firm release date that justifies that time slot being taken up after being shown off.

The one exception to this are first party games.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
so guerrilla collective had the most games on a single day, 69, and that showing got 1500 views, total.
the first show, with 44 games had 2950 views .. that is very little exposure for 113 games
I have to add that the reaction streams like those of easy allies probably added far more than those core streams (edit: altho after checking, their PC gaming show stream only had 290 views) , but still I think these shows to more harm than good, especially when you have them piled ontop like this

There were 100k+ viewers watching on Twitch on day 1 with the various restreams going on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They showcased some of the same games they had last year but everything was totally new content.

It's definitely unusual for the pc gaming show to have done this because this is the first time they ever did this but keep in mind this is something the bigger conferences do repeatedly and they too many times don't show anything new which is even worse.

Heck the PS5 event hyped up GTA5 even though they had nothing worth announcing.

These showcases and conferences need more than curation. They need better judgement on when and how to repeat showing off a game.

They need to show off new content to keep things fresh for enthusiasts and mitigate bad first impressions.

If a game gets repeated a year or 2 later it needs to have a firm release date that justifies that time slot being taken up after being shown off.

The one exception to this are first party games.

Agreed as well. I said curation to use a general term but it's more trying to diversify content and pace well the shows between old and new stuff.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There were 100k+ viewers watching on Twitch on day 1 with the various restreams going on.
sure, still tho, its not a lot. especially with the amount of games. its easy to get lost in the crowd as an indie game and the same thing happens at these events.

now if it where a dedicated show during the summer, each friday, a new 10 to 15 games in a 30 to 45 minute stream like a nintendo direct, you would generate buzz for those 10 games each week. you can then give those 10 to 15 games a week a platform to shine on.

these events just felt like a truckload of games just gets dumped in a few days just to get rid of them, and barely anything gets picked up by the press or fans.
how many indie games form those shows have you seen discussed here?

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I agree the repeat of trailers among the shows is probably the worse part, but also I figure they're probably not working together or anything.

My problem are splicing low energy 10-15 minute gameplay demos and talks between trailer showings. Other than that idk, I'm okay with what was shown these past days. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but got a bunch of games added to my wishlist. PC Game Show felt the same as it ever was tbh lol