• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
luigis_mansion_3_e3_2019_screenshot.jpeg

General praise for Luigi's Mansion 3 is probably best shared in the OT, but I'd like to discuss what I perceive to be some very refreshing strengths of the game as they pertain to game design at large today. Like many of you, I'm a 30-something working adult with a toddler that takes up a ton of my time outside of work. As I've grown older and accumulated more responsibilities, I've found my interest in sprawling, open-world AAA games to have waned to zero. My gaming time is limited and precious now, so I place a higher value on tightly designed, polished games that offer up gameplay that is engaging and involving from moment-to-moment. Bonus points if the game isn't padded to the point of overstaying its welcome in my busy life.

It's games like Luigi's Mansion 3 that represent something close to my ideal kind of game in 2019. Sure, one could argue that it's a bit simplistic and linear by comparison to far more ambitious projects, but that Next Level Games has achieved here with LM3 is so refreshing IMO.

Here we have a game that is razor-sharp in its focus, polished to a mirror shine, and packed to the gills with charming details that immerse you in its memorable locale and beckons you to try to interact with every inch of the environment at all times. Where most big releases today tend to go for scale, LM3 hones in on a simple set of core mechanics (that are all given you to pretty early on) and expands the ways in which you use them gradually as you progress on your adventure. This is the type of pseudo-linear game design that once defined many of the best games before sandbox and open-world designs began to take over the industry, and you just don't see it executed with this level of warmth, polish, and detail very often. All of this is describing the core story mode, of course, and equal praise can be given to the myriad multiplayer options baked into the experience as well.

I have my criticisms of the game, of course. I wish the shop had more useful items on which you can spend your oodles of coins, and I would've liked for the 100% collection reward to have been more meaningful. But damn. On the whole, this game's design is a breath of fresh air.

Great job to Next Level Games on LM3, and I hope that the game does well enough to have some small impact on how publishers/developers view the viability of games like these.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 days): driving thread derail over multiple posts
This world needs more games like Death Stranding. Experimental, unique, polished, story driven single-player AAA games with optional coop.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmm no thanks, Luigi Mansion 3 is the worse Luigi Mansion game to exist. I do not need more games like it to exist.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The shop is almost entirely useless and it's not worth picking up coins at all.

I happily ransack every single room for ALL THE CASH.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This world needs more games like Death Stranding. Experimental, unique, polished, story driven single-player AAA games with optional coop.
Yep. Just replace the walking simulator parts with something fun

Luigi's Mansion 3 is the best looking Nintendo game of all time

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
LM3 is an amazing game for an adult to enjoy, I'm 34, and I hold the same sentiment as the OP.

It's great that I can pick it up, play one floor, and put it down, and repeat as necessary until finished.

Each floor is a great, bite-sized amount of play and I feel a sense of accomplishment when I get the next elevator button knowing I can put it down and return to a fresh experience on a new floor the next day. It's easily my GOTY by a country mile.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really??? Every single other person I've heard their opinion from is that it's the best in the series.

For me it just doesn't quite capture the lighting in a bottle that the first game had. Plus I was not fond of the idea of Princess Peach being added into the series just to be kidnapped, that trope just needs to die and I hate that Nintendo refuses to budges from that.

You're gonna be in the heavy minority there.

That's fine with me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
What does this topic have to do with Death Stranding?
"As I've grown older and accumulated more responsibilities, I've found my interest in sprawling, open-world AAA games to have waned to zero. My gaming time is limited and precious now, so I place a higher value on tightly designed, polished games that offer up gameplay that is engaging and involving from moment-to-moment. Bonus points if the game isn't padded to the point of overstaying its welcome in my busy life."

To offer the opposite of what OP values? Well I'm sure it's engaging and polished

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I find the LEGO games (excluding the minecraft-y ones) to have a lot of the same feelings I get playing Luigi's Mansion.

LM3 is obviously more polished and higher budget, but they have the same style of puzzle solving (exploring and figuring out puzzles in small spaces), and smashing everything made of of LEGO bricks and collecting the studs is just as fun to me as sucking up all the junk in LM.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Im only about 6 floors in so far, and loving it. And I have so much goddamn coin, I was hoping there would be more cool stuff to buy with the coin, other than the 2-3 items Ive seen so far. But sounds like maybe that is it? Thats a bit disappointing. I was thinking the other day, just some cosmetics would have been nice to purchase. Some clothes or items for your dog. new hats or charms for Luigi. Just throwing that out as a suggestion if the devs couldn't think or have time to develop more meaningful/gameplay relatedl thngs to use your cash on.

And add fuel to fire I am also really digging Death Stranding so far. Feels like a very fresh game to be playing. Both games can and should be praised.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Well said ScOULaris. I am playing through it now in a short session every day or two. I don't care about the lack of things to spend one's coins on; I enjoy the act of trying to collect every last one itself so don't need a point to it other than that. (Yes, I am the sort of person who collects every last collectable he can whether he needs it or not e.g. coins in Mario games.) I loved the original game, liked the second and am thoroughly impressed by the third. After this, I am really excited to see what Next Level Games do for Nintendo next. A Punch-Out!! port would be a nice way to start! What I would really love to see is their take on American Football in the vein of their Mario Strikers games.