• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
PS4 has taken the crown from ps2 for me when it comes to quality and variety of games. Making it the best gen. I guess it's a matter of taste.

That's what I've been feeling. This has been an amazing gen.

I do agree that new IPs haven't been as frequent (though we still have more new ones late gen that are still coming). But that comes with some caveats for me, anyway:

1. Some games exploded on a subsequent entry, such as Witcher 3. So even though Witcher 2 got really good reviews, Witcher 3 was the GOTY/GOTG candidate.
  2. Some games rebooted in spectacular ways, such as God of War, which is a significantly different game than its predecessors. It's not a new IP, but it's not a direct sequel either.
  3. Sometimes the sequels just refined the crap out of what came before it to a huge extent. Some didn't like the pacing in UC4. I get it. But the gameplay and controls? Holy crap. Same with Lost Legacy.
  4. Many of the new and old IPs really improved in terms of performance. The fact that games like Horizon, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, God of War, and Uncharted 4 exist and play as they do, while similar games, previous entries or games developed by the same people typically had worse performance last gen, is impressive as hell.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
You sure are going to be disappointed with gaming for the rest of...I don't know, forever?

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Ps3/360/wii shit on this gen. Library was much better. I give this gen great capcom and overall japanese stuff. Dont care about indies. Ohh and more ram means stable systems.

Dark souls, rdr, bioshock, uncharted, tlou, killzone, resistance, gears, halo, galaxy, mgs4.....yea no.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I agree it's been the worst (at least of the ones I'm old enough to remember - so since the SNES era), but I don't think it's been bad. The SNES/MD, PS1/N64, Xbox/PS2/GC and 360/PS3 eras all trumped this one in terms of sheer volume of great games.

I think part of that is just because making great games just takes longer and more money now. So you'll get fewer greats per gen. And fewer risks.

Feb 8, 2018
some important points you've made there OP.
What you need to understand is that you rarely get something for free in this world. Free games aren't free when they have MS. GAAS (Assuming this includes DLC's) is not necessarily a bad thing if it enriches the experience of a existing game and potentially a better decision than a half hearted successor.
Paid online: after PS2 and PS3 were free it was hard to accept. I would have tried more MP modes if it was free and I can't precisely plan in advance how much of my time will be spent on games.

Last edited:

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love this gen, great games, great tech and more. Can't for the new consoles to arrive as well.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have Bloodborne and the whole Dark Souls Trilogy in the same console. Gen delivered.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy a console for the first time... ever?

It's the worst and it's not even close.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I'm not sure I can state it's the worse, but it's been a very disappointing gen indeed.

The main problem I have is that the gen started slow with many PS360 remasters and few new IPs ( I agree with you there OP ).

Then this gen wasn't impressive from a graphical standpoint. The PS4 and Xbox One weren't that impressive technically.

And this gen - as the last one - is way too long. 7 years is too much.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is the best gen. And I only play single player AAA games. Sekiro, RE2,DMC 5, HZD, UC4, Alien Isolation, God OF war, fucking Red Dead Redemption and best game this gen Witcher 3. Thats just the top of my head

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Monster Hunter World alone has almost made up for the lack of IPs that excite me. I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
As a PC gamer whole mostly plays Indies and AA titles, I've been having a fantastic time.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last gen was ass: PS3 games constantly in development hell, slow UIs, Xbox 360 Started strong but they gave up mid gen, Wii/Wii u was a joke, Japanese developers took PTO most of the gen or released disappointing sequels.

This gen is so much better

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It honestly reads to me that the OP has read a clickbait article somewhere and has decided "Yup, that's completely correct!"

Oct 25, 2017
Your New IP complaint is silly tbh, like have you not been keeping up with indies? Celeste, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, etc.. (These are a few i played). Like come on, there are so many good games out there. If your really complaining about that then i don't think your looking in the right place. Sorry.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
1. I'm not so sure about that new IP thing. Maybe a little last gen / this gen list off is in order.

2. Gaas is mostly for big trashy multiplayer games. At least, the most egregious implementations. There seems to be a scale, with quality single player games falling towards the lighter side. And single player is not dying. I spent vast majority of this gen playing single-player games and they were fantastic. it should be clear by now that the death of single player narrative was actually originating from the marketing departments of purveyors of said huge trashy multiplayer games.

3. Online paywall is horrendous, yes. We magically got to a point where the entire player base was somehow trained to do it and it was practically money on the table. I really wish Sony or Nintendo could have come up with something more consumer-friendly and left Microsoft to that racket.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like writing a long counter to this. I only have time for a short one.

If you think this gen lacks variety, innovation or new IPs, play games not backed by the mega publishers. There is more variety, innovation and value than ever. They just don't all have huge marketing deals.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could not disagree more. It's my favorite gen by a wide margin. Between new games, sequels to older games, and remakes/remasters, I find it one hell of an exaggeration to call this the worst gen.

Definitely disagreed on the New IP Front. Sony alone introduced more than a dozen that are among the greats, and Nintendo releases at least ~2 New IPs per year. Don't know how that's less than any other gen.

MTX are solely dependent on the type of game you're into. Vast majority of the games I play don't have any at all. Outside of some EA games it's generally not too overbearing. And as for paid online, it's 60 bucks for a year. That's nothing.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure I can state it's the worse, but it's been a very disappointing gen indeed.

The main problem I have is that the gen started slow with many PS360 remasters and few new IPs ( I agree with you there OP ).

Then this gen wasn't impressive from a graphical standpoint. The PS4 and Xbox One weren't that impressive technically.

And this gen - as the last one - is way too long. 7 years is too much.

If developers could crank out games in a year because they're less complex and shorter, then I'd agree, but 7 years seems pretty good considering how long some games can take to develop currently.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
Yep worst that last gen imo, I enjoyed blue dragon, lost odyssey, gears of war, FF13(somewhat), demon souls, tales of xilla, sf4, mvc3, halo 3, cod4/mw2. This gen I liked BOTW, bloodborne, RE7, and monster hunter I just haven't had much fun this gen an I tried a lot of different games, wasn't a fan of god of war, horizon was ok, didn't like the Detroit game, Mvci was a dud, I hated dbfz and sf5 so I enjoyed last gen a lot more.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
somehow, i have to agree.
i think creatively the whole gaming scene gets staler and staler every year. sequelitis is also a problem. there are still great experiences to be had but many games are too safe, streamlined or boring.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
. I hope that next gen will be better for us. I

It probably won't be if you thought this one was bad. A new generation is likely only going to exacerbate the reasons behind your complaints in the OP, chiefly that bigger AAA games are only going to require even larger budgets from a new higher spec line of consoles. A/AA tier games on a budget are mostly gone and not coming back, the price of developing a new videogame is never going down , stifling investment in new I.P.s and indie games have largely filled the niche left by them.

Not much of that can be reversed at all, and definitely won't be in the next gen.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I disagree strongly, but respect your view OP as we just differ on all that you listed.

I prefer sequels to new IP as I get more immersed in worlds, stories, characters and lore in on going series. Same for movies and books. Though I get that stuff is moot for the gameplay focused people that don't like narrative-driven games.

Some GaaS have some scummy practices for sure, but I love live games I can stay immersed in long term as new content and events get added.

I was used to paid online from xbox last gen and back then it was just for online. While it's worse in that it's spread to the other two console platforms, at least their are perks I benefit from like the "free" games, extra discounts in digital store sales etc that help the devices kind of pay for themselves. We also make good money so these are a drop in the bucket for my budget and I realize they suck more for people with limited funds.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While I agree that GAAS and the MTX-heavy nature of modern gaming have been blemishes on this generation, I honestly think the PS4 and Switch are some of the best consoles of all time, and even this far into the PS4's life cycle they keep managing to impress me.

There have been a lot of sequels, sure, but most of them are some of the best entries in their respective series. We got VR finally and not just as some kind of gimmick - it's true 3D, 6DoF, immersive craziness! We got bloodborne, we got Gran Turismo Sport flying in the face of modern car game monetization by adding months and months of content for FREE (you can earn it in game or you can buy the cars with real money IF YOU WANT TO). We got some truly great entries in the music game genre including a near perfrect port of Project Diva with 200+ songs. We saw Sony actually get online and social interaction right. We got Destiny and Destiny 2 (yes I know the original had PS3/360 versions, but it's a current-gen franchise). We got Nioh and Sekiro. We saw revivals of old favorites like Spyro, Crash, and the first new Ace Combat game in a decade. We got a portable console that feels like it has true parity with the TV consoles becuase it IS one. We got an explosion of indie content and many great new characters and universes out of that.

Only thing that could make it better? Bring back Riiiiiiiiidge Racer!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the worst, but there's definitely a lot of issues this generation especially with big budget games, from similarity and lack of diversity, to microtransactions and GAAS attempts that make games feel more like a scheme trying rope people in and keep them playing + paying forever. That part of the industry is garbage, but luckily the industry is much more than that.

Indies are better than ever and both Sony and Nintendo still deliever fantastic and worthwhile AAA games, that feel like games instead of service schemes. It's been a great generation all in all.

Nov 13, 2017
I own more games on PS4 than I did on SNES. I disagree with your assessments.

1. I can see your point about a lack of new IPs, but without an actual listed comparison from last gen, I can't say for sure if this is 100% accurate. Do you consider Spiderman a new IP? What about Last Guardian? From Software released 2 new IPs this gen, which were both awesome. Detroit was another gem from Quantic Dream, Driveclub was great. And I'm just looking at my own shelf. Also we still have Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima coming (hopefully).
  2. I do think the trend is gross, but I've never played a game where I feel like I had to pay anything. I bought the battle pass in Apex Legends just because I wanted to support them. I don't even own all the champions and I play it constantly. It's very much avoidable in most games. I agree it sucks that it's even a thing, but the days of a game only costing $60 are virtually over. Companies wouldn't be able to survive if they weren't. I think as long as publishers keep to F2P with purchases or full price + cosmetics, it's fine. I know they're boiling the frog and my rationale has changed since the days of horse armor, but considering the hours I've dumped into Hearthstone, Apex Legends, and other F2P games, when compared to the money I've spent, I think it's more than fair.
  3. I got over this last generation.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soo much better than last gen, not even close.

You can really feel the weights and restrictions coming off on 3D games this Gen, unlike last.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
This gen gave us Horizon, rebooted GoW, Spider-Man and most importantly, Stardew Valley. That last game makes this the best gen of all time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For me too. I'm a big fan of comp multiplayer games and there's been very few interesting new IP in that space.

My favourite games of this generation have been titles like Battleborn and Lawbreakers. Titanfall 2 and Apex keep me going but where the 5 vs 5 competitive stuff gone? My favourite games are dead.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly believe this has been the best generation and it's only getting better. Games are better than ever before.

I do love hearing from people who think otherwise though just for the different perspectives.

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah fam last gen was wayyy worse. This gen is prob up there with gen 6 tbh. It has been amazing.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, yes. I too agree that single-player games are dying in a generation that gave us The Witcher 3, God of War, Persona 5, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, Tales of Berseria, Resident Evil 7 and RE2 Remake, Doom, Wolfenstein II, Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey, Ys VIII, Trails of Cold Steel and more. Truly a tragedy of our time.