• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
This came along on my Twitter and seriously, isn't this like the best anime we don't have? It's "just" a commercial, but I really feel it should be an anime series or movie or something. There is a story here that's really fit for a great anime. Check it out:

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty cool.

At first I thought the thread was going to be about the commercial that Makoto Shinkai directed a few years ago -

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that was really sweet. I'd love more anime that focused on something like older folks.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Unfortunately, you're unlikely to ever see anime like that. With manga, there are many series with older or elderly protagonists. The variety in manga is insane, and it's one of the reasons I gravitate far more towards manga than anime. A lot of this stuff doesn't get translated, but there are some really beautiful slice of life series out there.

Tasogare Ryuuseigun is a pretty well-regarded classic, and it's all about people later in life falling in love... and it has 61 volumes so far. It's great. Not exactly the same, but you can find manga that scratch that same wholesome itch as the commercial.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Unfortunately, you're unlikely to ever see anime like that. With manga, there are many series with older or elderly protagonists. The variety in manga is insane, and it's one of the reasons I gravitate far more towards manga than anime. A lot of this stuff doesn't get translated, but there are some really beautiful slice of life series out there.

Tasogare Ryuuseigun is a pretty well-regarded classic, and it's all about people later in life falling in love... and it has 61 volumes so far. It's great. Not exactly the same, but you can find manga that scratch that same wholesome itch as the commercial.
Do people actually want anime about old people? Heck, how many even western shows are there about old people? What is the market for that? Like I googled "shows about old people" and this list https://www.ranker.com/list/best-tv-shows-about-senior-citizen/ranker-tv doesn't even seem to have anything from like the last 5 years. A short seems like the best avenue for something like this.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people actually want anime about old people? Heck, how many even western shows are there about old people? What is the market for that? Like I googled "shows about old people" and this list https://www.ranker.com/list/best-tv-shows-about-senior-citizen/ranker-tv doesn't even seem to have anything from like the last 5 years. A short seems like the best avenue for something like this.

Well, that's the skinny. Manga has less budget and thus less expectations, so you get more genre diversity.

My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness ain't getting an anime anytime soon.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

A Man and His Cat is great too!

glFa5Me.png

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I want stories about all sorts of people and circumstances. Many feel like you, which is exactly why there aren't anime about them. People buy the manga, though. They'll never be mainstream, but there's fantastic stuff out there.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Always would have liked this KyoAni commercial for the studio to be an actual series

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Ok this one just feels emotionally manipulative. I get that all the ones posted hear other than the Long Long man commercials are emotionally manipulative, but this is on another level.

I mean, I don't know much about Thai culture but it was allowed to be aired and the ads are popular in Southeast Asia. The Smoking Kid ad, for instance, prompted tons of smokers to reconsider their problems/habits and reach out to others to form support groups. I get that it's ultimately a way to squeeze capital out of emotion, but if it can inspire things like that, why not?