• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
What do you mean, "no substance?" You're saying you think Microsoft should make a dedicated streaming tablet that, from how you're describing it, would cost millions and millions of dollars of research and development and would retail for about $300, and then you throw around posts like this:

with literally ZERO backing up of your argument. How is spending millions on R&D for this dream device "minimal risk?" How is "taking 10% of Switch sales" beneficial? How is it "nothing lost" if it doesn't work? Unless you're about to link me to detailed spreadsheets and market analysis documents, you're pulling this all out of your ass. Your idea is, at least from a primitive business standpoint, ludicrous. The potential market for this ~$300 tablet, that requires a constant and strong internet connection and some existing investment in an Xbox ecosystem, is puny.

This isn't rocket science, dude. Come on.

What do you think a Surface device is. the RD is pretty much already taken care of. Do a little research on what MS is doing outside of Xbox and you will see this concept is not as silly as you think. You also seem so sure of yourself like 100% positive this couldn't work. Do you work for a trillion-dollar company or are you on a msg board expressing "opinion"? My point is none of us know for sure what is going to be announced so don't come on here like you are on the board of directors at MS know what the hell they are going to do next. thanks for your contribution.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
junglecat-xcloud-2.jpg
I love the look of this thing but it just one of many options that could be possible.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I hear you and respect your opinion, but I'm putting myself in the shoes of running a business and I can't believe any company would let another company have exclusive domain to the portable market uncontested. If I was running the Xbox division ( I know ain't ever happening) I would take a calculated risk on that. even if its take 5-10% market share.
Microsoft saw how the PSP and Vita panned out and they see how the Switch is doing. They're not going to create a separate portable gaming handheld.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

1. The ubiquity of smartphones has ruptured much of the novelty of portable gaming. The only reason Nintendo survives is because their legacy, and even they have a mobile gaming division now. There's little room for any company to but into that space, let alone MS.

2. Competing with Nintendo in their domain at their full strength would be foolhardy for MS, especially when they have to compete with Sony and Google at the same time.

3. MS was worked hard this generation to bring down the barrier on console exclusive by bring games to the Switch. Trying to go against the notion now with their own handheld would look wishy-washy and mix up their messaging.

4. Microsoft has made efforts to ensure their catalog of games is available on as many devices as possible, yet adding a new, even weaker strata of hardware to specifically cater towards would just burden their developers more so rather than aid them.

5. Xcloud solves all these issues.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
I can almost bet that many many people thought the Switch (before release) thought it was a bad idea and a waste of resources and not a good idea. What if Nintendo listen to every amateur analyst?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The R&D is pretty much done just push a couple buttons and pull a lever or two and beep boop beep a portable Xbox pops out

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you and respect your opinion, but I'm putting myself in the shoes of running a business and I can't believe any company would let another company have exclusive domain to the portable market uncontested. If I was running the Xbox division ( I know ain't ever happening) I would take a calculated risk on that. even if its take 5-10% market share.
You'd be kicked out of the company. And for good reason

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
1. The ubiquity of smartphones has ruptured much of the novelty of portable gaming. The only reason Nintendo survives is because their legacy, and even they have a mobile gaming division now. There's little room for any company to but into that space, let alone MS.

2. Competing with Nintendo in their domain at their full strength would be foolhardy for MS, especially when they have to compete with Sony and Google at the same time.

3. MS was worked hard this generation to bring down the barrier on console exclusive by bring games to the Switch. Trying to go against the notion now with their own handheld would look wishy-washy and mix up their messaging.

4. Microsoft has made efforts to ensure their catalog of games is available on as many devices as possible, yet adding a new, even weaker strata of hardware to specifically cater towards would just burden their developers more so rather than aid them.

5. Xcloud solves all these issues.

Your points are well taken but I'm sure many people thought it was foolish for Microsoft to enter the console market which was Nintendo, Sony's and Sega's "domain" Now look where we are. My point is sometimes risks need to be taken. Microsoft can afford to take that risk. I fully have confidence in Phil though, if he cannot see a world where a portable doesn't make sense, who am I to argue that.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think a Surface device is. the RD is pretty much already taken care of. Do a little research on what MS is doing outside of Xbox and you will see this concept is not as silly as you think. You also seem so sure of yourself like 100% positive this couldn't work. Do you work for a trillion-dollar company or are you on a msg board expressing "opinion"? My point is none of us know for sure what is going to be announced so don't come on here like you are on the board of directors at MS know what the hell they are going to do next. thanks for your contribution.
1) A Surface is a series of laptops and tablets designed to run Windows on either Intel or ARM-based processors depending on which of the Surface lines the product in question falls under.

2) There is a huge difference in a tablet that's designed to run Windows and a tablet designed exclusively for streaming, and you saying the R&D is "pretty much already taken care of" indicates you really have no idea what you're talking about here.

Me not being on the board of directors of Microsoft does not nullify the ludicrousness of your out-of-your-ass statements like "minimal risk" and "taking 10% of Switch sales would be beneficial." You can't just make stuff like this up, and respond to anyone challenging it with "well you don't work for Microsoft so what do you know!"

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
Just because you say "minimal risk" doesn't make it so. Just because you say they can easily take "5-10% of the Switch market" doesn't make it so. You want people to participate in a conversation where you make these declarations and expect them to just be accepted.

MS' platform for any kind of handheld/streaming seems to be XCloud, which will work on phones/Tablets/laptops. Why create unnecessary risk and waste trying to compete with devices people already have?
I dont expect anything but good mature conversation without name calling and system war beef. that is all. Thank you for your contribution .

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't make alot of sense with xCloud. Also MS benefits from Switch with games like Minecraft selling very well.

Before they spent billions in R&D money for a device that night fail they would probably spent that money in making a big partnership with Nintendo happening, resulting in xCloud support on Switch.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
1) A Surface is a series of laptops and tablets designed to run Windows on either Intel or ARM-based processors depending on which of the Surface lines the product in question falls under.

2) There is a huge difference in a tablet that's designed to run Windows and a tablet designed exclusively for streaming, and you saying the R&D is "pretty much already taken care of" indicates you really have no idea what you're talking about here.

Me not being on the board of directors of Microsoft does not nullify the ludicrousness of your out-of-your-ass statements like "minimal risk" and "taking 10% of Switch sales would be beneficial." You can't just make stuff like this up, and respond to anyone challenging it with "well you don't work for Microsoft so what do you know!"
Are you at all familiar with the dual-screen device MS is planning to release late next year?

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
Doesn't make alot of sense with xCloud. Also MS benefits from Switch with games like Minecraft selling very well.

Before they spent billions in R&D money for a device that night fail they would probably spent that money in making a big partnership with Nintendo happening, resulting in xCloud support on Switch.
This is not outside the realm of possibility for sure!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can almost bet that many many people thought the Switch (before release) thought it was a bad idea and a waste of resources and not a good idea. What if Nintendo listen to every amateur analyst?

Your idea of a Portable Streaming Device is a bad idea though.

The Switch can play offline. Your idea can't.

If Microsoft listened to you, they'd waste money because Phones do the same thing.

Windows Phones already failed.

Edit: I'd like to point out I played Halo Reach on my phone and Tablet via Shadow earlier this week, which kind of makes me realise how pointless the thought is because I can already do what you want them to do.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
Your idea of a Portable Streaming Device is a bad idea though.

The Switch can play offline. Your idea can't.

If Microsoft listened to you, they'd waste money because Phones do the same thing.

Windows Phones already failed.
Hey Im not a hard head if the device shouldn't be online only then so be it. Im open to any an all ideas. I'm just laying down thoughts in digital word on a msg board.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
Hey all thanks for the mostly mature convo and feedback but some of ya'll need to really chill the F out. Go enjoy life..this shit ain't so serious, some of you act as if you want my tongue cut out or my fingers chopped off so I cant type any more lol. Wow.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Are you at all familiar with the dual-screen device MS is planning to release late next year?
The Surface Duo? Sure. But the thing you have to remember is that that thing is going to do a LOT more than just xCloud streaming. That thing is being made as a productivity device, similar to a tablet or laptop, first and foremost. It's a wild device! Not something I would have expected. But the potential market for something like that is going to be much, MUCH wider than "dedicated video game streaming tablet," because it's aimed at students, business/enterprise-types, and sure, people who want to use a touch-based control scheme for xCloud streaming, but that last category is going to be an infinitesimal section of their potential customer-base.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Imagine a portable that is kuch kore powerful than a switch, but it compatible with every game in your Xbox library locally, and also works with Xcloud to produce XSX calibre visuals when docked. That cpuld be pretty amazing.
How would they go about making such a device with any real support? The Switch is anemic because it has to be portable and graphical prowess on mobile isn't that important to that extent on current SoC designs. If the rumors about a more powerful Switch next year or 2021 or true, its going to be exceptionally hard to build something more powerful than that, since Nvidia seems to have the most powerful mobile GPU designs available.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If I want a portable gaming device, why would I buy one that can only be used in conjunction with an Xbox console? Why wouldn't I buy a Switch? If I really wanted to play my XBOX games portably via streaming, why wouldn't I just use the phone I already own?

I'd say most people would think along these lines. I don't think there's enough of an audience for it. Therefore, I don't see how MS could justify releasing such a device.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you were running a business you'd understand that spinning up R&D, software, hardware, and manufacturing efforts to compete with a well- established market leader in a segment you've never been in just so you can take minuscule market share (as you are describing) and make a competitor out of a company that you've largely been engaging with as a partner, is a bad idea.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
I will bookmark this thread for those that thought there's no way in hell they will do this, but better believe I will resurrect this badboy if I smell a hint of some sort of portable lol, and for the record, I never said they were or even thinking of it as I'm saying is imagine the possibilities.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
If you were running a business you'd understand that spinning up R&D, software, hardware, and manufacturing efforts to compete with a well- established market leader in a segment you've never been in just so you can take minuscule market share (as you are describing) and make a competitor out of a company that you've largely been engaging with as a partner, is a bad idea.
I mentioned my stance on the RD budget already. MS has multiple and I mean Multiple devices coming down the pipe that could fit this need easily.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
If I want a portable gaming device, why would I buy one that can only be used in conjunction with an Xbox console? Why wouldn't I buy a Switch? If I really wanted to play my XBOX games portably via streaming, why wouldn't I just use the phone I already own?

I'd say most people would think along these lines. I don't think there's enough of an audience for it. Therefore, I don't see how MS could justify releasing such a device.
The point is no one is telling you to have to do anything. It would be a companion device for those that have an Xbox regardless of if its OG Xbox, 360, One, S, X, Series X. It would be for those customers.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
But OP, with all the options for controller setups for phones and the upcoming Surface Duo and Surface Neo.. what would be the point of yet another portable device? If you want gaming on the go, MS will have you covered.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
But OP, with all the options for controller setups for phones and the upcoming Surface Duo and Surface Neo.. what would be the point of yet another portable device? If you want gaming on the go, MS will have you covered.
If you read a couple of posts above (not being rude) , you would see that Surface was mentioned as an option. thanks for your contribution.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I mean, if Phil could made a portable Series X for and sell it for $300, that would be cool.
Impossible, but cool.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The point is no one is telling you to have to do anything. It would be a companion device for those that have an Xbox regardless of if its OG Xbox, 360, One, S, X, Series X. It would be for those customers.
That's what I'm saying. The potential audience for such a device is already small - now how many of those who own an xbox would:

1. Be interested in streaming to a portable
2. Be interested enough in streaming to a portable that they would go out and buy a dedicated device, rather than using their phone

Sorry, I just don't see the market for this product for it to be a viable venture.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
I mean, if Phil could made a portable Series X for and sell it for $300, that would be cool.
Impossible, but cool.
Well let's see what comes of the grand Series X reveal. Who knows what's possible. No one thought just 7 days ago we would see a damn Xbox "Tower" Everyone would have said "Nah Nah that's impossible they would never do that" Phil has shown that he's willing to take risks. If it works out is another discussion for a later date.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No offense, but have you ever participated in the design and building of a consumer product, physical or digital? Cause this is not how any of this works

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
No offense, but have you ever participated in the design and building of a consumer product, physical or digital? Cause this is not how any of this works
None taken, but if you can offer insight that would be beneficial to the convo. I assume you work in an R&D dept for a large corp? If so please tell me how works. thanks.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Playing games on a phone without physical buttons or sticks just saddens me :|

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Well let's see what comes of the grand Series X reveal. Who knows what's possible. No one thought just 7 days ago we would see a damn Xbox "Tower" Everyone would have said "Nah Nah that's impossible they would never do that" Phil has shown that he's willing to take risks. If it works out is another discussion for a later date.

I wasnt with you until this part, yeah I too was surprised by the fridge

Maybe hes right guys

Dec 2, 2017
similar looks to the standard Xbox controller

ultra-slim, ultra-portable.

You cannot have both of these things.

But in all honesty the problem here is that Microsoft's core ip other than Minecraft are poor fits for portable gaming. Nintendo's stuff works better due to decades of portable development but also a brand identity more compatible with older, simpler design paradigms and no emphasis on online play.

They also have the kid market, which is a core segment of the portable demo.

The last problem is MS wouldn't touch them on price. They'll always be undercut by all the corners Nintendo cut. The Vita was godly but had to introduce a more cheaply made device fairly quickly and still couldn't compete.

I love portables so I'm all for the idea, but I fully understand why neither Sony nor Microsoft are expending any energy in this direction despite the Switch's success.

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Did anyone else read the OP? This is about a streaming only device, not a Vita/Switch style portable console. You could probably put a wifi chip, 1080p 6.5 inch screen, and controls together for $100-$150. Mid-range SOC. No local storage needed. Minimal RAM requirement.

Agreed with some of the above posters that the market for a companion device probably isn't huge, although with xCloud it's not strictly just a companion (e.g. you could still play it at home if you didn't own an Xbox). I'd totally buy one for playing my Xbox in another room or streaming games during trips, but I'm probably just weird.

OP
OP
JustP_Gaming

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
Did anyone else read the OP? This is about a streaming only device, not a Vita/Switch style portable console. You could probably put a wifi chip, 1080p 6.5 inch screen, and controls together for $100-$150. Mid-range SOC. No local storage needed. Minimal RAM requirement.

Agreed with some of the above posters that the market for a companion device probably isn't huge, although with xCloud it's not strictly just a companion (e.g. you could still play it at home if you didn't own an Xbox). I'd totally buy one for playing my Xbox in another room or streaming games during trips, but I'm probably just weird.
Yes you see the vision, I may have not used the best descriptive words (wrote what ever the idea was on my mind) but you get the picture. Thanks for the contribution.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If it's streaming only then you'd need to be connected to wifi.. and frankly, there just isn't a huge market for a device that only works on wifi that I can imagine. Who is the target audience for the device? Kids aren't big Xbox gamers by and large, so you're just looking to get existing Xbox owners to buy a secondary device I guess? Is it going to have actual controls or are you going to expect people to carry use a separate controller with it? I've done that with my Pro Controller and my switch at home, but it's a relative rarity.

It seems like a device that is destined to lose significant amounts of money because it has a very limited target market. It's the kind of thing that a designer (or a fan) might come up with, but would never go into production because it's a losing proposition.