• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 62100

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I've had both men and women strongly hint if not straight up tell me they wouldn't hang out with me in public because I was short/ugly. And yes, this was often preceded by a "I've always like your personality/you seemed pretty smart and friendly".

Much of the world is shallow.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Personality, Face, dating online less, meeting people outside of the more vicious environemnts
Right, that's what I mean, there are so many other factors that you can have that are equally or more important, that when you hear stuff like "I can't get a date because of my height", what it makes me think (and I am willing to be wrong on this is that there are other factors which could at least equally explain things.
Poor short guys have to deal with constantly being treated differently and when they talk about it, people tell them they're lying.
I'm short as hell dude, I've also said on this forum that heightism is a real thing: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...ir-height-so-much.158045/page-6#post-27208628

I do think we need a cultural shift through stuff like better representation in media, modeling, what have you, if there is a pay gap that could be addressed through legislation (it won't happen but I'd advocate for it). A good thing might be an option on dating apps to filter out people who list a certain height as a requirement so you never have to come across them. I'm not calling you or anyone a liar, I just wanted to know for the short people that haven't had an issue dating, what are they doing to succeed and is it something that is impossible/would not work on a broad scale and also the issue of it potentially being a toxic male mindset that leads down the right wing/incel hole. Like, there are dudes who think because their chin isn't square or their eyes aren't perfectly symmetrical that they will never find anyone, as a short guy I don't want to see other short guys internalizing that attitude, especially when it would also totally work against being desirable to another person and would only make not being able to get dates worse.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My parents force fed me HGH when I was a child, and now I'm 8 feet tall and playing first base for the new York yankees

Deleted member 62100

Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Right, that's what I mean, there are so many other factors that you can have that are equally or more important, that when you hear stuff like "I can't get a date because of my height", what it makes me think (and I am willing to be wrong on this is that there are other factors which could at least equally explain things.

I'm short as hell dude, I've also said on this forum that heightism is a real thing: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...ir-height-so-much.158045/page-6#post-27208628

I do think we need a cultural shift through stuff like better representation in media, modeling, what have you, if there is a pay gap that could be addressed through legislation (it won't happen but I'd advocate for it). A good thing might be an option on dating apps to filter out people who list a certain height as a requirement so you never have to come across them. I'm not calling you or anyone a liar, I just wanted to know for the short people that haven't had an issue dating, what are they doing to succeed and is it something that is impossible/would not work on a broad scale and also the issue of it potentially being a toxic male mindset that leads down the right wing/incel hole. Like, there are dudes who think because their chin isn't square or their eyes aren't perfectly symmetrical that they will never find anyone, as a short guy I don't want to see other short guys internalizing that attitude, especially when it would also totally work against being desirable to another person and would only make not being able to get dates worse.

It's just another factor that's likely to be used against you in the social and professional world. Like being a Black woman, an Asian male, or just someone really ugly in the face. Or a combination of the above. I've actually had at least one woman say she might've considered dating me if not for the fact that I was very short. Like she could get past all the other stuff. Yes she doesn't sound like a great person, but most people aren't great people. And you often don't have a choice in interacting with them or relying on their judgements.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I thought that I was given these growing up. Went from 5-2 to 6-1 over the course of a year while in high school. I noticed the difference in treatment right away.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A cousin of mine was given this because he was short/small. I had no idea it was so expensive and doubt they'd be able to afford that even tho they were definitely upper middle class.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what that has to do with getting rid of the 'manlet' stigma, i.e. specifically an issue of body image concerning men. You can't modify someone's preferences but you can change social norms and positive representation.
I think society has done all it can in terms of height acceptance or whatever you might call it. There's just some fundamental reasons the human brain trusts and is more attracted to tall people and that's okay. Being tall is generally better and that's okay. If someone wants to make themselves or their kids taller that's okay too, as long as there aren't horrible side effects.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah its a part of a negative feedback loop. You will for sure get rejected by someone for your height at some point, but it's not like it's impossible to have trists, find a partner, get married etc. etc. but people focus on those negative interactions. There are some concessions you have to make however. Your online dating is more limited, your night life dating is more limited, but other than that it's not so bad down here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think society has done all it can in terms of height acceptance or whatever you might call it.
Well, how many leading men in Hollywood are short, and how many of them are able to own it within movies outside of for comedy? Like Tom Cruise, he's short but it's not usually brought up in movies or as a positive thing. I don't think there's a lot of representation there. How about in the modeling world, or advertising? How many people with a large platform use it in a positive way for height acceptance? It doesn't seem like it's something that happens often. I don't think as a society we've really done much of anything to change things, we can't say like "we've tried nothing and we're out of ideas"

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I think society has done all it can in terms of height acceptance or whatever you might call it. There's just some fundamental reasons the human brain trusts and is more attracted to tall people and that's okay. Being tall is generally better and that's okay. If someone wants to make themselves or their kids taller that's okay too, as long as there aren't horrible side effects.
Man you always have the worst fucking takes about topics like these.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Should be illegal outside of extreme percentiles, stuff that actually poses health problems. Children do not have autonomy for cosmetic surgery.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I am 176 CM and feel like I barely escaped the short list, nobody calls me short but sometimes I look at pictures wishing for an extra 5cm.

But that's just insecurities in general for me. I feel for the real short guys.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Give it a couple decades and they'll be using CRISPR to get immunity to the genetically engineered plagues that are currently wiping out the masses.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, how many leading men in Hollywood are short, and how many of them are able to own it within movies outside of for comedy? Like Tom Cruise, he's short but it's not usually brought up in movies or as a positive thing. I don't think there's a lot of representation there. How about in the modeling world, or advertising? How many people with a large platform use it in a positive way for height acceptance? It doesn't seem like it's something that happens often. I don't think as a society we've really done much of anything to change things, we can't say like "we've tried nothing and we're out of ideas"
but that's just it. being a tall as a man is inherently attractive and that's why they tend to get the modelling jobs, executive positions, leading rolls etc etc. i don't think anyone just decided "let's just pick tall people for hell of it" and because of that it became the norm. it won't ever be a completely level playing field because evolution didn't work out that way. and that's okay.
Man you always have the worst fucking takes about topics like these.
idon'tthinkaboutyouatall.gif

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
My parents considered doing this for me because they thought I was too short. I fought against it because I didn't care about being tall.

I didn't end up getting it, and I'm the average height for a Colombian woman, below average for an American woman. Only slightly shorter than my mother.

I did get puberty blockers for a year instead because I got my period early to the point it was pretty traumatic. I have no idea if it was covered by insurance.

Is being short as a girl carry a stigma still? Every girl I've dated has been quite a bit shorter than me

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
but that's just it. being a tall as a man is inherently attractive and that's why they tend to get the modelling jobs, executive positions, leading rolls etc etc. i don't think anyone just decided "let's just pick tall people for hell of it" and because of that it became the norm. it won't ever be a completely level playing field because evolution didn't work out that way. and that's okay.
Sure, but we can overcome that through societal changes. Like for example, you could say a long time ago people's biological drive for sex was based on procreation or knowing that pregnancy was likely (or dangerous given no medicine), but with the advent of modern medicine and birth control, now people will fuck often just for the sake of it. Or the idea of multicultural societies, in early human history it may have been a huge shock and people may have had adverse reactions to seeing different people than their majority groups among them, but with time that has become less of a thing (except there still being a problem with racist shitheads), innate biological drives do not have to be hardcoded determining factors that can never be overcome or change. Hell, the current standard of what is attractive wasn't always the same thing even, and may differ from place to place.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Just wait until regenerative medicine reaches is true potential. One of the important arguments against wealth inequality is that the rich will have access to not only life saving tech but also QoL tech that the poors will be priced out of. Universal healthcare for all is the only answer but even then I'm sure that a cottage industry of regenerative medicine will pop up inevitable to service the desires of the rich and their progeny

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but we can overcome that through societal changes. Like for example, you could say a long time ago people's biological drive for sex was based on procreation or knowing that pregnancy was likely (or dangerous given no medicine), but with the advent of modern medicine and birth control, now people will fuck often just for the sake of it. Or the idea of multicultural societies, in early human history it may have been a huge shock and people may have had adverse reactions to seeing different people than their majority groups among them, but with time that has become less of a thing (except there still being a problem with racist shitheads), innate biological drives do not have to be hardcoded determining factors that can never be overcome or change. Hell, the current standard of what is attractive wasn't always the same thing even, and may differ from place to place.

we still have sex though because our brain wants it, that part never changed. we gained control over the procreation part, but not so much the urge part. there are pills to lower your libido if you want to, and maybe we'll develop pills that make tall people less attractive but until then, i can't really fault society for picking the most overall attractive people to be models, star in movies, or lead companies.

and yeah certain aspects of attraction (weight, hair, posture, fashion etc) are definitely cultural but facial symmetry, clear skin, masculine/feminine attributes, health, and height in men being attractive are pretty much constants between all cultures and time periods.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Acting is actually one area where there are a decent amount of non tall people, Cruise, Downey, Hanks, Pitt, Damon are all under 6', with Cruise and Downey actually being below average height.

But your point stands, height is a huge advantage for men in our society and that's in all areas of life. I'm 6'2" and am very thankful for my height as it has helped me in dating (my wife was very particular with height) and professionally. That plus me still having a full head of hair at 33 automatically puts me in an elevated position looks wise compared to other men in my field and people (I believe) take me more seriously just based on my height/hair combo.

Its fucked up but I also don't know how you get a societal shift on the topic, it seems really ingrained across all class/race lines.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget every shower head is at your chest level-and you can't sit comfortably in most cars.
Honestly, what the fuck is up with shower head height?! I'm barely 6'0" and have experienced this way too often.

More on topic, my wife actually had the opposite done to her as a kid. Her mother is over 6'0" and felt it made things difficult (Which is weird since she's successful and happily married) so the doctor gave my wife some hormones when she was a teenager to try and stunt her growth. She still ended up 6'0" so not sure it did much. I was fucking enraged when I heard that story though. Who knows what kind of harm it could've caused.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Acting is actually one area where there are a decent amount of non tall people, Cruise, Downey, Hanks, Pitt, Damon are all under 6', with Cruise and Downey actually being below average height.

But your point stands, height is a huge advantage for men in our society and that's in all areas of life. I'm 6'2" and am very thankful for my height as it has helped me in dating (my wife was very particular with height) and professionally. That plus me still having a full head of hair at 33 automatically puts me in an elevated position looks wise compared to other men in my field and people (I believe) take me more seriously just based on my height/hair combo.

Its fucked up but I also don't know how you get a societal shift on the topic, it seems really ingrained across all class/race lines.

i think movies are a bit of an exception since i believe shorter heights can somehow help with framing? someone correct me if i'm wrong. it's also easy to make shorter actors appear taller. that said, i suspect most Hollywood male leads are at least average or taller heights.

but getting back to the societal shift stuff, did we ever have a push to make stuff like baldness or crooked teeth more accepted/attractive? i don't think there's been a push to feature more actors with crooked teeth. maybe that's because braces are pretty attainable for most people who want them and so they just settle for getting their crooked teeth fixed. i suspect if this growth hormone therapy ever becomes as cheap and easy as braces it would also become just as popular.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Is being short as a girl carry a stigma still? Every girl I've dated has been quite a bit shorter than me
Enough of a stigma for my parents (mother really) to want to get me on drugs to mitigate it, I guess. :P I know in those studies about height and success, the correlation holds across different genders. No idea in the case of attractiveness (not counting models).

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Dating is a nightmare due to being short? I don't know that that's really the case.

I know multiple short dudes with game on Tinder. I'm sure there are some short guys with Garbo personalities that have a hard time, but it is certainly not universally the case that short guys have no dating prospects. It's a straight up lie

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard a lot about these treatments, theyre usually covered under insurance if the kid either has a diagnosed deficiency or is considerably shorter than they should be for their age. It all has to be documented by a pediatrician and whatnot.

Yes. My son had practically no growth hormone. He went through a battery of tests. His brother is 6'2 and his projected height was about 5.1. Insurance paid 100% and he's stopping now at around 5'10.

We probably wouldn't have done it without insurance paying for it, but since they covered all of it and he wanted it, there was no reason not to do it.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I think there are plenty of cultures where the average height is far shorter than America that would disagree it's "some fundamental reason in the human brain". It's a uniquely American trait afaik.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I have a friend who did Gene splicing on his unborn child to give her advantages as "it's very competitive to grow up now".

So this seems tame to me. I'm tall but have so many other factors going against me I'm going to call it a wash 😎

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I think there are plenty of cultures where the average height is far shorter than America that would disagree it's "some fundamental reason in the human brain". It's a uniquely American trait afaik.

Height is an attractive trait in most cultures, but it being one of the most important / crucial physical traits for men (to the point where women are willing to overlook other aspects but not short height) seems to be indeed a very American thing. I suspect it may be related to the "bigger is better" attitude that is also reflected in your cities, skyscrapers, cars, etc.

After being told how short men are treated in the US by some short guys who live there (being called hobbits and having their height commented in public by strangers), it really soured any desire I could have to visit the country.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
But even in those cultures aren't taller men preferred? It is interesting to think about whether we are just wired to associate height with masculinity.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I've had both men and women strongly hint if not straight up tell me they wouldn't hang out with me in public because I was short/ugly. And yes, this was often preceded by a "I've always like your personality/you seemed pretty smart and friendly".

Much of the world is shallow.
This means one of two things. Either they suck, or you suck.
Decent human beings don't get rid of people due to thier looks.

Source: I have plenty of ugly friends.
joke

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I have a friend who did Gene splicing on his unborn child to give her advantages as "it's very competitive to grow up now".

So this seems tame to me. I'm tall but have so many other factors going against me I'm going to call it a wash 😎

This...isn't a thing, though, yet. Not legally...

Jan 11, 2018
Shit loads of people on medicaid get it as well when their kids aren't even that short or small and in a lot of times it ends up being covered.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wish I had gotten this done as a kid. Clothes would be easier to shop for, let alone the social implications of not being 5'4".

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019

You know why that is? Because they use camera tricks, shoe lifts, and even have them stand on fucking boxes, in order to make them all look nice and tall next to their female co-stars. Which reinforces this cultural bullshit.

But nope, this is totally hardwired, and our society has clearly done everything we can do as far as combating heightism is concerned. /s

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A research paper published in the Journal of Applied Psychology showed that height is strongly related to success for men. It showed that increase in height for men corresponds to increase in income after controlling for other social psychological variables like age and weight.[1] Economists Nicola Persico, Andrew Postlewaite and Dan Silverman explained the "height premium" and found that "a 1.8-percent increase in wages accompanies every additional inch of height". They also found that men's wages as adults could be linked to their height at age 16. The researchers found that on an average an increase in height by one inch at age 16 increased male adult wages by 2.6 percent. This is equal to increase of approximately $850 in 1996 annual earnings. In other words, the height and corresponding social experiences of taller male adolescent at age 16 would likely translate to higher wage in later adulthood as compared to shorter male adolescent.[2]

Surveys have uncovered that less than 3% of CEOs were below 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m) in height. 90% of CEOs are of above average height.[19]

I just want to add here that later studies have found that this is mostly true in lower wage income brackets - and height differentials mainly disappear once individuals' occupation and non-linear height gradients are accounted for. Race, gender and class are still the best predictors for future wealth,

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm 177 cm so i'm average i guess, never faced to many problems due to height, but i know it exists discrimination by height, my brother is 1,69 today and he suffered kinda a lot as a teenager, kid and even college

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You know why that is? Because they use camera tricks, shoe lifts, and even have them stand on fucking boxes, in order to make them all look nice and tall next to their female co-stars. Which reinforces this cultural bullshit.

But nope, this is totally hardwired, and our society has clearly done everything we can do as far as combating heightism is concerned. /s
Remember when society tried to make ultra thin women attractive and men collectively shouted "No! We want child bearing hips!"

Also I want to point out the way that men seek to date women who are as tall as possible so that their offspring will have good genes.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Whats wrong with being short?

I am a tall person and never judged anybody based on height.
You may not do it consciously or maliciously, but believe me, you do judge still.

What sucks also is that it is absolutely tolerated to make fun of that particular attribute, and nobody gives a fuck or gets upset about it.