• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Authy is just much more robust and safer:

authy.com

Authy vs. Google Authenticator - Authy

With every breach, every hack, every lost or stolen phone, online users have a similar thought: “I hope my private data didn’t just leak into the vast and very dark internet.” There’s a good reason to fear: once your personal data is out there, it’s out there for good. That’s why online security...
Yep, I use Authy for everything.

Please add 2 step verification to your accounts. There's a big demand of people stealing twitch accounts so they can donate to their favorite streamers without paying much. My friend just got hit for 2 grand yesterday by Russian hackers.
Seriously. People should have 2FA set up on every account that allows you to, even here on Era.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Im here for you SpaceCrystal , the exact same thing happened with me for the past couple of days

I never had this issue on any other website or service, and I used two different phones to supply me the codes to make sure the issue wasnt that either.

maybe we are both dumb, idk

Edit: Sorry folks, I wasnt trying to make a super serious and technical post about the issue, just venting my frustration of have gone through the same issue that OP did. I though my little joke at the end would lighten up my post, I guess it didnt.

again, Im sorry and like I said, I might be dumb

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
You just described every 2FA ever... All work the same way.

Also very likely the problem is your fault because your device had an incorrect time.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
99.9999% of the time the problem with codes and authentication working is a problem with the users device. Do you really think that there's a software problem with Nintendo when there are no at scale reports? If your internal clock is not synced and is off, your codes become worthless from an auth app. If you've regenerated your codes in the past, previous codes are useless.

This isn't a condesending tone, this is someone who has worked in SaaS for five years and has regularly seen this happen with different services.

The OP title is inflammatory without need

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Strong language from a moderator, considering recent threads.

99.9999% of the time the problem with codes and authentication working is a problem with the users device. Do you really think that there's a software problem with Nintendo when there are no at scale reports? If your internal clock is not synced and is off, your codes become worthless from an auth app. If you've regenerated your codes in the past, previous codes are useless.

This isn't a condesending tone, this is someone who has worked in SaaS for five years and has regularly seen this happen with different services.

The OP title is inflammatory without need

the spoiler tag on my reply was to make sure that I wasnt that serious either, but you are right, setting tone on the internet can be an issue. I'll edit that out

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
And dont mind the condescending tone of the replies in this thread, I know that the issue isnt you and some problem on their end

In fairness, we've been given some inconsistent information.

OP Apparently had Google Authenticator MFA set up

I got rid of it earlier because I didn't think that it would be necessary. Didn't have a problem with it earlier, but I now do.

Uninstalled it.

Then I went to where it says "Enter backup code" underneath "If you cannot launch the app, you can sign in by entering a backup code." Tells you to enter one of the backup codes provided when you set up 2-Step Verification. Tried all of them. Kept getting error messages. And it even said at the bottom "2-Step Verification cannot be removed if your backup code cannot be verified."

Used backup codes unsuccessfully

Unfortunately, I didn't save them.

But also didn't save the codes.

Given the above information it's likely user error more than inexplicable technical issues at Nintendo's end.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, info is inconsistent.
If you uninstall Google Auth, you lose everything, that's why the backup codes are so important. But he also talks about having the codes in the app after installing, which doesn't make sense.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Sorry OP

I've had 2FA set up for a while. Never had issue with Nintendo's implementation of it. personally I use Authy (another 2FA app) which I personally like over Google Auth app

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP, i actually had the same problem yesterday. 2FA wouldnt accept my google authenticator code. Luckily i did save my backup codes and that got me in.

My app is up to date, device time correct, never upgraded my phone, email matched, etc.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I got rid of it earlier because I didn't think that it would be necessary.
Unfortunately, I didn't save them.
This is user error then, nothing to do with Nintendo or anyone else, unfortunately.
I'm really sorry OP, but you made a mistake, I don't think this is Nintendo's fault. If you didn't want to bother to properly use 2FA I don't know why you enabled it in the first place
This.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I'd recommend people use Authy instead of Google Authenticator, if they can.

The backup feature is very nice.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Did you manually set the time on your phone? If so, change it back automatic and try again.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Language is so interesting, I tend to think of the word horseshit as descriptive of an injustice, like "They can't fire you for speaking out, this is horseshit!"

Of course, bullshit is something patently untrue, like "So Epic just happened to have a countersuit and a video ready to go? You expect me to believe that bullshit?"

Whereas for something like your situation, I'd use the term dogshit, like "Man, I'm not making excuses or anything but the camera in this game is total dogshit"

(Not correcting you, just marvelling)

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Here's an update: I was able to contact Nintendo support about this issue, & I now have access to my account again. So now the issue has been resolved.

So do I activate the 2-step verification process now?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Here's an update: I was able to contact Nintendo support about this issue, & I now have access to my account again. So now the issue has been resolved.

So do I activate the 2-step verification process now?
That depends on you. You deleted it originally and didn't saved the backup codes.

So keep both of those things in mind if you decide to activate it again.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Did you contact Nintendo support before or after creating this thread? And what ended up being the issue?

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
That depends on you. You deleted it originally and didn't saved the backup codes.

So keep both of those things in mind if you decide to activate it again.

Yeah, I reactivated the 2FA, had received the 6 digit code for Nintendo Account through Authy, & it worked this time. :)

Did you contact Nintendo support before or after creating this thread? And what ended up being the issue?

After. Just did it about an hour ago. Couldn't contact support until at least 9 AM from where I live as they were closed at the time the thread was made.