• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys.

So when I bought my xbox 360 back in the day, I used the UK as the console's region. The pound is making game purchases quite expensive so I would like to permanently switch my region to the US even though I don't live there.

I have a few questions:

1-Will I keep access to the games I bought from other regions? (this should be a yes but I'm still asking just in case)
2-Are DLCs region locked?
3-Is there any issue I could encounter in the future with my account?

Thanks

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
I'm not sure about the answers to any of those questions (sorry) but if you do it make sure you tell them you're in a state that doesn't tax games.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys.

So when I bought my xbox 360 back in the day, I used the UK as the console's region. The pound is making game purchases quite expensive so I would like to permanently switch my region to the US even though I don't live there.

I have a few questions:

1-Will I keep access to the games I bought from other regions? (this should be a yes but I'm still asking just in case)
2-Are DLCs region locked?
3-Is there any issue I could encounter in the future with my account?

Thanks

sorry for being vague, but i'm not entirely sure either. can just use my personal experience and what i heard to try helping

1- yes, except for region locked 360/og content
2- i dont think they are on the x1, but i could be wrong. i dont remember any of the content in any of my x1 games being region specific and i changed them quite a bit
3- as i said, i changed them quite a bit all gen with no repercussion, and i dont remember hearing anyone else having issues either. i dont think microsoft cares as long as youre buying from their store.

OP
OP
DJwest

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure about the answers to any of those questions (sorry) but if you do it make sure you tell them you're in a state that doesn't tax games.
Thanks for the tip!
I thought xbox was like switch where DLC is region free
I think so too, I just want confirmation.
sorry for being vague, but i'm not entirely sure either. can just use my personal experience and what i heard to try helping

1- yes, except for region locked 360/og content
2- i dont think they are on the x1, but i could be wrong. i dont remember any of the content in any of my x1 games being region specific and i changed them quite a bit
3- as i said, i changed them quite a bit all gen with no repercussion, and i dont remember hearing anyone else having issues either. i dont think microsoft cares as long as youre buying from their store.
Wow. I need to check if my 360 games are region locked, I didn't think of that. Theoretically they should work again if I switch back to UK right?

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I used to switch regions on X1 when different regions would have different 'Games With Gold' for the month. Also, I used to purchase $US Xbox Live credit, and was given a few $US Xbox Live vouchers so I could buy games way cheaper than $Aus. I now leave my console set to Australia and i'm pretty sure all my X1 game purchases are available.

There might be a few back compat games locked to other regions though.

Peckmore

Oct 31, 2017
I posted this in another thread, but you can buy from any region on the same account without switching your account region as long as you have a valid payment method. And all games are region free (including BC titles).

The easiest way is just to buy credit for a region (from places like CD Keys, Amazon, etc.), then add it to your account at the point of purchasing a title from that region.

I can personally confirm this works, as I'm in the UK and have bought titles from the US store several times, all on the same account, and my region has always been set to UK.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I posted this in another thread, but you can buy from any region on the same account without switching your account region as long as you have a valid payment method. And all games are region free (including BC titles).

The easiest way is just to buy credit for a region (from places like CD Keys, Amazon, etc.), then add it to your account at the point of purchasing a title from that region.

I can personally confirm this works, as I'm in the UK and have bought titles from the US store several times, all on the same account, and my region has always been set to UK.

Is that via pc or can you access a different region store straight from the xbox without switching account region?

Peckmore

Oct 31, 2017
Is that via pc or can you access a different region store straight from the xbox without switching account region?
I'd like to know that as well because the store will default to your region
Via the web store. Go to a game, switch the country code in the URL from (as an example) "en-gb" to "en-us", and it should appear in USD. It might ask if you wish to visit the game on your regional store, but choose "Stay in this region", then click buy. When it pops up asking for a payment method you can choose the option to redeem a code and redeem your voucher for USD.

I will add that I've been doing this for a long time now (since not long after the Xbox One launched), so it's been a long time since I set this up, but you may have to change your account (on the website) just once, so that you can add a US address to your account. But then you can switch back to UK. This doesn't affect your console region (as far as I remember). And make sure to choose an address for somewhere like Oregon, where there is no sales tax! :)

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP can you create a new account instead? I'm not sure if on Xbox the store is locked behind the console configuration or the account.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
OP it is quite easy buying codes from other regions I do it all the time as we get shafted in the UK. I got Dirt 5 for like ÂŁ20 for example

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Will your ping in multiplayer games go to trash or does the matchmaking use your local location instead of your region?

Peckmore

Oct 31, 2017
OP can you create a new account instead? I'm not sure if on Xbox the store is locked behind the console configuration or the account.
There's definitely no need to create a new account. You can 100% do it all on one account, and your Microsoft account will even list all of the currencies you have on your account, regardless of region.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Via the web store. Go to a game, switch the country code in the URL from (as an example) "en-gb" to "en-us", and it should appear in USD. It might ask if you wish to visit the game on your regional store, but choose "Stay in this region", then click buy. When it pops up asking for a payment method you can choose the option to redeem a code and redeem your voucher for USD.

I will add that I've been doing this for a long time now (since not long after the Xbox One launched), so it's been a long time since I set this up, but you may have to change your account (on the website) just once, so that you can add a US address to your account. But then you can switch back to UK. This doesn't affect your console region (as far as I remember). And make sure to choose an address for somewhere like Oregon, where there is no sales tax! :)

Oh, for an European, this is a really good life hack.
Thank you!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Thanks for the tip!
I think so too, I just want confirmation.
Wow. I need to check if my 360 games are region locked, I didn't think of that. Theoretically they should work again if I switch back to UK right?

Account region not matching console region was only an issue on the 360.

BC 360 games on the One and Series consoles run in their own console wrapper, so the game region is never exposed.

There are some games that are NOT available in a given region, and they'll disappear from your Ready to Install list if you switch the store region on the console, but if you already have them installed, they stay installed. If you switch the store region back, they reappear in Ready to Install.

I'd like to know that as well because the store will default to your region

You can switch the store region on your One or Series console at any time. It's an option in Settings. Just required a reboot.

No need for a new account.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Account region not matching console region was only an issue on the 360.

BC 360 games on the One and Series consoles run in their own console wrapper, so the game region is never exposed.

There are some games that are NOT available in a given region, and they'll disappear from your Ready to Install list if you switch the store region on the console, but if you already have them installed, they stay installed. If you switch the store region back, they reappear in Ready to Install.

You can switch the store region on your One or Series console at any time. It's an option in Settings. Just required a reboot.

No need for a new account.

That's dope