• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magni

You should go there first and check it out. It'll probably be a lot easier if you get married and learn Swedish.

I moved from NY to Tokyo for a woman. Getting married made things a lot easier, and I'm a software engineer with a Masters who speaks passable Japanese. Marriage is the immigration cheat code.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
If it's one to two years you've got time to brush up on your skills. Start learning the language so you'll be at least nominally more competitive when you get there. Truthfully, it's probably easiest if you get married but I'm not sure where you are in your relationship and if that's even a possibility.

OP
OP
Lulu

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's one to two years you've got time to brush up on your skills. Start learning the language so you'll be at least nominally more competitive when you get there. Truthfully, it's probably easiest if you get married but I'm not sure where you are in your relationship and if that's even a possibility.
marriage and kids are def on the table but I think we'd like to get situated first. But yea, I'll start brushing up on it with her

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a PhD in renewable energy and have worked for almost two years in the field. There are many companies in Northern Europe that deal in exactly what I do, and I have been dating a European citizen for 4 years. Even with all of this, I still am making long term plans before moving into the area. You can get stuck in Sweden in the winter with nothing to do and just live a miserable life if you dont plant if out correctly.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My tip is to stop using the word deadass
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Lulu

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll look up a gamer bar for the NYC era meet up

SwiftSweeper

Oct 25, 2017
It is time to franchise Action Burger to Sweden. Who needs a job when one can be a restaurant owner of Michelin stared fast growing chain.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
you should be able to find a phd position at a university. in your field they're not really well-paid, but they're much better in that regard than most similar positions at American universities

How are you planning on getting a work permit? Through marriage or something similar?

You do probably need to secure one of those first - and unless you have skills that few other Swedes have, it probably isn't happening - without either luck or a marriage/partner contract.

Also, yeah, whatever office you work in is probably gonna speak Swedish 95 percent of the day - including important meetings, paperwork, client contracts, etc. So, it won't be low-level Swedish you'll need to understand.

What's your current job situation? Edit: sorry, just saw it.

Yeah, dude. Unless you also happen to speak Spanish fluently, which WOULD be a desirable trait in some business settings, it probably ain't happening unless you get married.

Last edited:

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
Would it be easier for you to get married in New York and make a life in New York ? It's probably easier for her to move to the USA than you to over there. I'm sure you guys have already talk about come to a conclusion.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
legit have you thought about becoming an eSports ProGamer or a Twitch Streamer? Because you have plenty of downtime over there you could train to become a pro. Because you are older you might need a chemical advantage to beat the kids at their own game though. Or maybe you could become a handsome boy model?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Do it. But try and learn the language ASAP, start now if possible. Most Swedes speak pretty good English but the sooner you'll be comfortable speaking swedish the better.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In terms of finding a job you'll probably have few issues finding like a café/bar job but that's hardly what you're going for. However for an admin job you'll have a hard time with language unless you land a gig at a huge multi-national company where people will be more accommodating to non-Swedes. Learning Swedish to a level where you understand most stuff probably isn't that hard (a dude in my master's programme pretty much dropped using English after 6 months) but yeah for any government work you'll have a hard time getting people to speak English in a work setting.

All that said, do it.

Last edited:

rainz

Nov 1, 2017

Basically, you need a job offer before you even get there if you want to stay past 90 days. You cant officially just go there and work at a cafe or whatever...

Also, start saving Stockholm with USD is not going to be pretty, its one of the most expensive places in the world.

Saying that, go for it! Having done a similar thing you should look into a Working Holiday visa if they have that first maybe...

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I can't really offer any advice. I've never been to Stockholm. Other than once I had very vivid dream that I had moved to Stockholm. I absolutely adored it there and it was the best idea I had ever had. Take from that whatever you choose OP.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
I just spent last weekend in Stockholm, for no other reason than why not and I would like to move somewhere that isn't the US so I have been traveling the world to try and find that somewhere. It felt like a lot like being home in MN to me, granted I realize that a lot of Swedish people had moved to MN from Sweden. (I grew up and still live in rural MN, my family originally came to the US from Norway and Sweden back in late 1800's/early 1900's) Considering your girlfriend has family there, I am assuming that you wouldn't have to worry about housing right away, I would say do it, but learn the language before you go as it makes it a whole lot easier.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived in Stockholm for two decades now, and really get along with the city. It's a good place to live. The biggest issue for you aside from having to find work and such will likely be the winters. You'll have several months of very limited daylight and cold every year, and it can be a shock to the system for a lot of people not used to living up north. On the other hand, the summer will give you an abundance of daylight to compensate.

promise me you'll try blodpudding with Kalles kaviar on it.

Don't do this. Though you will have to learn to appreciate liquorice in order to win the respect of your peers.

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Is Stockholm friendly to gamers? 🤡

The growth of the games industry in Stockholm for the past 10 years has been insane. People come from all over the world to work on games there. When I'm walking through the southern part of town (which is where all the studios congregate) it's not uncommon for me to overhear devs just casually having a conversation with eachother.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If she already has an apartment, then consider yourselves lucky, that's a big hurdle out of the way. Stockholm is infamously hard to find an apartment in.

archnemesis

Oct 26, 2017
Many larger companies here have English as corporate language. If you want to work for the state or the municipality then you will have to learn Swedish.

Your largest issues will be finding a decent job and finding a place to live. Stockholm is fairly expensive.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I would definitely visit Stockholm before moving there. I guess having lived only in NYC it will be quite the adjustment, as it'll probably feel like moving to a "small town".

Also you should take the climatic (or rather daylight) differences into consideration – you will have very very short days in winter compared to NYC.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
You gotta pay out of your ass to find a place to live in Stockholm. I don't recommend moving there, saying that as a Swede. Place is highly overrated also says my friend living there, she hopes to move to a smaller and better town soon.

Beduin

Oct 28, 2017

Basically, you need a job offer before you even get there if you want to stay past 90 days. You cant officially just go there and work at a cafe or whatever...

Also, start saving Stockholm with USD is not going to be pretty, its one of the most expensive places in the world.

Saying that, go for it! Having done a similar thing you should look into a Working Holiday visa if they have that first maybe...

What? You do know that he is coming from living in NYC which is literally one of the most expensive places in the world.
Stockholm is expensive, but in comparison to NYC it is cheap.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Apartments in central Stockholm are pretty expensive but it quickly gets much more reasonable if you look at areas that are at least 15-20 min subway ride outside of central Stockholm. Same if you are looking for a house you'd economically want a house a bit outside of Stockholm or it's going to be very expensive. If you want to rent I have no tips I just know it's difficult and/or expensive to find a place to rent.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
There are jobs just for English speakers in Sweden, especially multinational companies.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You should go there first and check it out. It'll probably be a lot easier if you get married and learn Swedish.

I moved from NY to Tokyo for a woman. Getting married made things a lot easier, and I'm a software engineer with a Masters who speaks passable Japanese. Marriage is the immigration cheat code.
Do it. But try and learn the language ASAP, start now if possible. Most Swedes speak pretty good English but the sooner you'll be comfortable speaking swedish the better.

Go to check it out first. Pass through. Either it will be a reality check or it will fire you up even more.

(But yeah, get started on the language)

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Afaik you'll need to start learning the language if you actually want to live there. Swedish is a beautiful language, though.

Honestly, check it out first and if you're down, just do it. I'm studying Swedish and part of me would like to make the move as well, but my roots here are a bit too strong.

Dec 31, 2017
1) You should go there and see how you like it. If you're a native New Yorker, life will be very different from what you're accustomed to. Not saying it will be worse, but different.

2) Start learning the language now. There are some really good self learning courses (Assimil is one example).

3) Try to secure job.

4) Make sure your relationship stays secure.

Have fun.

This is coming from a native NYCer who is temporarily living in Germany. It's a great experience but it is all very different from what I've been used to, and the first few months having to deal with the culture shock, administration/registration etc. without speaking the language at a passable level are daunting. Having a significant other will help.

Also, nothing is as convenient as NYC when you want something and you want it now, deadass.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Apartments in central Stockholm are pretty expensive but it quickly gets much more reasonable if you look at areas that are at least 15-20 min subway ride outside of central Stockholm. Same if you are looking for a house you'd economically want a house a bit outside of Stockholm or it's going to be very expensive. If you want to rent I have no tips I just know it's difficult and/or expensive to find a place to rent.

Yeah finding a place to rent is almost impossible unless you have contacts in Stockholm. I guess you can find a closet to rent for a fortune at Blocket lol.

Pretty sure it is quite expensive to buy 15-20 minutes outside the city too. I mean apartments in Kungälv outside Gothenburg is going from around a million SEK for small studio ones.