• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Go see your doctor, if the stress is starting to affect you helth then they going to have to sign you off.

This way you get the time to recover, and job hunt. while still being empoyeed so their is no hole in your history.

Oct 25, 2017
Give your months notice and hopefully you can take it easy for the rest of the month. Best to leave with a reference and the bridge unburnt.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Make absolutely sure the downsides are worth it if you do this. Talk things over with someone probably

If you can do this professionally, do it

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you aren't in a job where you fuck someone over by not showing up, do it. Who cares about burning bridges. There are tons of jobs out there.

I used to be a hiring manager. I didn't care at all about long absences between jobs. Employment isn't your life, if someone wanted to not work for a few years it was none of my business. But I had some pretty different views then other hiring managers out there. I find interviews worthless, because the candidate is just going to put on their best behavior, exaggerate, or lie. I got down to doing 30 second interviews. Do they show up for the interview? Okay, they are hired. I had just as much success with hiring people as the previous hiring manager did. I'm also not going to check references.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
It's a small world especially with LinkedIn. Someone you work with now could work at a company you'll be applying at in the future.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely terrible idea. Go talk to your boss, tell him you need this, ask for an actual sabbatical (what you're doing isn't a sabbatical lol) and tell him that you're gonna do this no matter what and you would prefer doing it without losing your job. If he says no then quit with a months notice.

This is just pure nonsense and childish and paints a terrible picture of you as an employee

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What are they gonna do? Fire me?

If you're putting it on your resume, they're gonna make it tough for you to get a new job, if they can.

Just give them 2 weeks. You can do it in written form with no communication verbally. Don't let your emotions turn up the temp on an already boiling situation.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you were going back to school to go into a completely diff industry, yeah I would say you could ghost lol. But this doesn't work for you at all...

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Another vote for not ghosting your employer. The world can be a small place at times, you don't want to get a reputation as a bad employee.

Most of us here don't give a shit about your employer, it's that it makes you look bad if you leave with zero warning. But also realize that you don't have to take their shit for two weeks - if they retaliate or try to make your life hell, then just leave with your held high.

For all you know, some random coworker might end up at a company you want to work at some day. You want him to remember you as "the guy who did put in his notice", rather than "the guy who just vanished in the night".

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you aren't in a job where you fuck someone over by not showing up, do it. Who cares about burning bridges. There are tons of jobs out there.

I used to be a hiring manager. I didn't care at all about long absences between jobs. Employment isn't your life, if someone wanted to not work for a few years it was none of my business. But I had some pretty different views then other hiring managers out there. I find interviews worthless, because the candidate is just going to put on their best behavior, exaggerate, or lie. I got down to doing 30 second interviews. Do they show up for the interview? Okay, they are hired. I had just as much success with hiring people as the previous hiring manager did. I'm also not going to check references.
You're the exception and not the rule then. While I agree with you that interviews are relatively meaningless in terms of the way they're traditionally conducted and how most people conducting them are probably not even sure of what they are doing, they tell you an awful lot about an individual if you're knowing what to look for. I also agree somewhat about gaps in a résumé, I don't really care if someone was working a completely different role for that period of time and chose not to put it on the résumé, but it does become a necessity to know if someone isn't keeping up on their skills and are giving you lipservice about what they say they can do but haven't kept up in that intervening time.

I completely disagree about burning bridges though, I don't care what field you're in, people know each other and that word will get around. you can probably get away with doing that once or twice in a field, but you start to get a reputation, and while it's anecdotal I've certainly seen that happen more than once to people with the "fuck 'em" attitude.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
dress up like a clown
go into the office
yell IM QUITTING, THIS IS MY LAST DAY, BYE
when someone inevitably asks you why you are dressed up like a clown, yell back BECAUSE I TOOK ADVICE FROM ERA

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
so people don't simply think you couldn't find another job for 3 months

What is wrong with not being able to find a job for months or even a couple of years? A person unable to find a job isn't necessarily incompetent. Many very skilled individuals are overlooked for superficial things.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving aside the possibly bad idea of "ghosting", what is wrong with not being able to find a job for months or even a couple of years? A person unable to find a job isn't necessarily incompetent. Many very skilled individuals are overlooked for superficial things.

Your not wrong, but if a position is in demand and roles are plentiful, it shouldn't take someone 3 months of active searching to find a job. I personally see this as a red flag and I know other hiring managers do as well.

Now, if it's a niche role or highly competitive field, maybe it's seen differently.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
OP doing anything would be better than ghosting.

You mention that a 1 month notice is expected. Tell them you're quitting and can only work for 1/2/3 weeks or whatever. Just don't ghost. Your job and employer suck. But make them work for you when looking for a better job.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible idea. Not only will you burn bridges, but in some cases employers can actually sue their employees if they suffer damages by an employee leaving without notice. Be a professional and resign properly.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Your not wrong, but if a position is in demand and roles are plentiful, it shouldn't take someone 3 months of active searching to find a job. I personally see this as a red flag and I know other hiring managers do as well.

Now, if it's a niche role or highly competitive field, maybe it's seen differently.
Why put the blame on the person seeking the job and none on the one hiring them? It's not as if the latter are always competent persons.

In my view there is the issue of not willing to think outside the box. E.g. I couldn't find a software developer job even though I was very competent, because I graduated during the dotcom crash. Then when the economy picked up again I was rejected from jobs for not having experience or being over qualified for junior roles because I got into another industry (lecturer) and people were not willing to hire me for a lower paying job than what I already had. Until I met a very reasonable employer who told me experience is irrelevant because I had the knowledge and demonstrated it by creating software in my spare time while having a full-time job. That took many months of demoralizing job hunting. And now if I apply for jobs I can get many interviews easily. That whole experience made me think very little of most persons that read through resumes/CVs. Sometimes I would gt rejected for not knowing a little thing that would take a only week to learn. Why not hire people based on their intelligence and other inherent skills instead of playing it safe and going for mediocrity?

E.g. I have seen some really incompetent lecturers being hired because of their years of experience. I remember one lecturer that literally knew nothing and he was hired because of a good word that someone put in for him. If I was in charge, I would have hired talented young people who may not have had the experience but they would have clearly done a better job with a few weeks of training. In fact I have seen some of my best students not getting work because they can't sell themselves as well as the brash loudmouthed students who are less capable.

Now I understand that this might not be the case in every inustry (e.g. in Silicon Valley they have very open-minded employers) but many hiring employers just seem to be too rigid with tunnel vision.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

What industry/sector were you in here?

Oct 27, 2017
In many states all a company can say is if they are "re-hirable" in the eyes of the company. If they say anything more then they fall into legal issue.
You also have to keep in mind that people most definitely say more then that, I've heard plenty of times that they give much more detail on an employee if asked, not like the other HR is gonna report them

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Just ghosting an employer is an idiot's game. I left a job because I was tired of the work and wanted to move on, but I left on good terms. The moment COVID hit my last job dropped a large chunk of us like a bad habit. I spent a few months looking and got nothing cuz COVID, the moment that my old coworkers found out I needed a job, they hired me. That job kept me from real financial trouble when the Cares Act ran out. Without those contacts and a solid rep I'd have been screwed. You never know when you'll need those contacts to keep you going.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I also would recommend not ghosting or whatever. Just keep things chill and slack off for two weeks after you put in your notice. I also would recommend not ghosting or whatever. Just keep things chill and slack off for two weeks after you put in your notice. I don't know what your industry is like, but mine is super small and you would almost certainly recognize someone from your old job at your new one if you didn't move to another city.

Oct 27, 2017
To the OP, just hand in your notice and do it elegantly. No, your employers won't suddenly respect you or anything but fuck them. Leaving in two weeks versus leaving the next day isn't going to make it much easier for them. This is about making sure they can't throw you under the bus.

You also have to keep in mind that people most definitely say more then that, I've heard plenty of times that they give much more detail on an employee if asked, not like the other HR is gonna report them

I have heard that a lot (maybe most) employers break this rule especially when it applies to any sort of technical or highly competitive job. Like you say, it's not exactly easy to prove.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I wouldn't ghost an employer. I might fuck off enough to force them to fire me and pay unemployment taxes, but I wouldn't ghost them.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
The only time ghosting should be acceptable is when you're working a low wage restaurant/retail job. I worked at a restaurant two years ago over the summer for $10h and they were hoeing me for 3 months. The thing that tipped the scale was when I came to work and one of the workers told me that the main boss came in and installed cameras and that we shouldn't sit down at all during our shifts even when there is no customers. I politely nodded my head, finished my shift that day, cleaned up the place (since I was the one always staying to do that and to lock up), locked it up, put the keys through the opening in the doors, texted my manager that I'm quitting (so technically I didn't ghost completely), then I blocked their number and never went to that place again. If you lasted 5 years, you should just suck it up , give them a notice and leave on good terms, everything you said doesn't excuse such a way to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.