• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hiya fellow FROM lovers. It's no secret between us: a big part of what we love about FROM's games are their uncompromising, sometimes-frustrating boss fights. Sure, we have fun exploring, opening up shortcuts, fiddling around with our builds, but when it comes down to it each glorious level finds its raison d'etre when you push those double doors open and see whatever snarling beast or sword-bearing demon is on the other end. It's hard to explain to others, but we know that defeating a boss you've struggled for hours to best brings a satisfaction with it that is difficult to replicate, and it's why we keep coming back for more.

Now, hear me out: Kingdom Hearts 3 ReMind is for you. Before I proceed, lets get something out of the way, though.

KH3 ReMind requires a completed game save from KH3 to play. The base game will take the average player somewhere in-between 20 to 30 hours of play. While I think KH3 is a fun game, it's not what I'm here to discuss today, but it's important to grok that playing through it once is a non-negotiable aspect of playing KH3 ReMind. In my totally professional, unbaised opinion, it is well worth it to play through KH3 solely to play ReMind's Limit Cut episode for the reasons I'll outline below.

Ok, moving on.

KH3 ReMind is a 3-episode expansion to the base KH3 experience. The 1st episode of ReMind is a story-centric, short addition to the base game that ties up some loose ends you might be wondering about after you finish the base game. It is very easy to complete and shouldn't be considered a major barrier of entry to play ReMind.

The 2nd episode is called "Limit Cut."

Limit Cut is a standalone experience that can only be understood fully through comparison: if KH3 is DmC, then Limit Cut is DMC3 on the hardest difficulty. Put another way: if KH3 is Dark Souls, then Limit Cut is Sekiro on steroids. Not good enough? Look, if KH3 is Ninja Doggery on Ninja Gaiden, then Limit Cut is... you get the idea.

In Limit Cut, you stand in front of 13 doors; each door opens to reveal a unique, full-bodied boss fight that will *utterly* destroy you. That's right, these single-target, immaculately designed encounters are a level *and* a boss unto themselves: each fight contains multiple stages and phases against an opponent who is faster, vastly stronger, and almost certainly prettier than you are. You'll spend sometimes hours for each boss analyzing the offensive and defensive movesets of the boss, finding openings, exploring your movement options, manipulating your build, and learning how to tackle each step of the encounter. And that's after you unlearn everything you thought you knew from playing the base game, because the base KH3 game is laughably easy in comparison on nearly any difficulty. Up until now, KH was always a button masher: Limit Cut makes it something else entirely, and the expansion itself changes many aspects of the core KH3 experience to supplement this new difficulty. Combat feels different, faster, and more skillful than ever. You'll need it, too, since these fights will challenge you in exactly the same way the hardest FROM bosses do: when you finish an encounter, you'll get exactly that sense of satisfaction that we FROM folk feed off of. In fact, the satisfaction I got from completing Limit Cut is off the charts.

I realize you may need some more convincing about the kind of encounters you can anticipate having, so I brought a visual aid. Now, I highly recommend only watching this if you're not sold yet, and if you are but still want to see, I recommend only watching the first few moments of the fight.

Okay, I did mention that there were 3 episodes, didn't I? The third and final episode is unlocked when you complete all 13 Limit Cut bosses, and is composed of a single, insanely difficult boss fight against... well, it'd be a spoiler to say. But let me say this much: this boss is very possibly one of the hardest bosses ever put in a videogame. In fact, despite having made this thread, I am still working on this fight.

At this point I've either convinced you that ReMind is something you need to think about playing *right now*, or I've convinced you to stay far the fuck away from it. Both would be reasonable responses depending on the kind of player you are. It should be noted that KH3, unlike what you may be used to, has different difficulty options, though you lock-in to your difficulty when you start KH3, so you need to think very carefully about what you'll play on. It is highly recommended that you start on either Proud or Critical difficulty to have the experience I'm describing here. KH3 is laughably easy on even Proud difficulty, but ReMind on Proud is a challenging beast that I consider far more difficult than Sekiro, for example. I mention this because those who feel compelled to challenge themselves but are worried about being unable to complete the game can have a more accessible time by starting their file on a lower difficulty.

Nearby there is a thread for KH3 ReMind that breaks down in amazing detail everything that ReMind is, how it augments the base KH3 experience and answers all your burning questions. More than that, though, it's a place where those who are making their way through the 13 data fights may find a shoulder to cry on, or someone to help them strategize and hopefully win against their next challenging encounter. If that sounds like a FROM thread, and you're looking for something to challenge you while you wait on Elden Ring, my friend, I think you've found where the next 50-60 hours of your gaming career are headed. I want to be very clear on one thing, though: KH3 ReMind is NOT a From-like videogame. I would hope that would be obvious, but it bears being specific: ReMind's 2nd episode Limit Cut is a boss-rush mode with great unique boss fights, but it is not a From-like videogame.

I felt this topic deserved a thread because I didn't realize how much connective tissue there would be between this game, and FROM bosses. I'm mostly posting here for awareness about it, since from a critical standpoint the expansion isn't considered very good (many people are playing the 1st episode and stopping). There's a hidden gem here. I highly recommend visiting the ReMind OT to discuss ReMind, but this here is for people to share how ReMind sizes up either favorably or unfavorably to FROM-style bosses, and to answer questions specifically about how it may appeal to FROM fans. A special thanks goes out to everyone I've interacted with on that thread, and especially the OP Fj0823 for answering questions I had with so much patience.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I defeated everyone in my Proud Mode run except for
Yozora

Luxord was probably the hardest

That said, O&S is still probably harder than most of KH's bosses

Except, of course
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I don't know why in the world you would make the comparison outside of difficulty, to be honest. I haven't played 3 yet (been working on my playthrough for a year and a half, but the shitty entries tend to make me stop) but the games are so completely different... I know you admit this at the end of your OP, but it reads like an afterthought.

Anyway I'll check it out when I can finally get through the last couple of entries in the next year lol.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why in the world you would make the comparison outside of difficulty, to be honest. I haven't played 3 yet (been working on my playthrough for a year and a half, but the shitty entries tend to make me stop) but the games are so completely different... I know you admit this at the end of your OP, but it reads like an afterthought.

Anyway I'll check it out when I can finally get through the last couple of entries in the next year lol.

That's a fair thing to say. They are very different games, yes, and mechanically there are huge disparities -- KH3 ReMind boss fights are closer to something like Sekiro since stamina isn't a thing. There was someone in the OT (I can't remember who, sadly, hopefully they will chime in) who mentioned that ReMind was like a rhythm game in a way, and it's a notable observation because Sekiro was often compared to such.

This thread is first and foremost about challenging bosses and recreating that feeling that you get from overcoming challenging bosses, and FROM has a real monopoly on that stuff. ReMind was a HUGE surprise to me in this way; it made me feel the same way I did when I overcame Sekiro, and I don't think the comparison is skin-deep necessarily.

Other Kingdom Hearts games I don't think I could easily make that comparison, so I see why you'd feel it's a strange one to make.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
I don't know why in the world you would make the comparison outside of difficulty, to be honest.

I thought this was the whole point of the thread, to note (correctly, imo) that Limit Cut Episode is much harder and better designed than the rest of the game and that From fans would like that content- not the whole of KH3 tho?

edited to add clarity

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair thing to say. They are very different games, yes, and mechanically there are huge disparities -- KH3 ReMind boss fights are closer to something like Sekiro since stamina isn't a thing. There was someone in the OT (I can't remember who, sadly, hopefully they will chime in) who mentioned that ReMind was like a rhythm game in a way, and it's a notable observation because Sekiro was often compared to such.

This thread is first and foremost about challenging bosses and recreating that feeling that you get from overcoming challenging bosses, and FROM has a real monopoly on that stuff. ReMind was a HUGE surprise to me in this way; it made me feel the same way I did when I overcame Sekiro, and I don't think the comparison is skin-deep necessarily.

Other Kingdom Hearts games I don't think I could easily make that comparison, so I see why you'd feel it's a strange one to make.
Not just challenging, but extremely well designed

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Yeah its amazing if you look back at older bosses to how they design bosses now. They really knocking it out of the park.

That said, O&S is still probably harder than most of KH's bosses

Except, of course
giphy.gif
Mysterious Guy isnt actually that hard with Terra if you go really aggressive against him.

Beat him with Terra faster than with Aqua and Ventus since being defensive as Terra isnt a great option anyway.

Spam that Thunder Surge nonstop and he can be down before you know it.

MF is also arguably worst designed super boss in all of KH, hard for all the wrong reasons and very cheesable with certain commands and dodge roll spamming.

It's incredible to me how far the team has come, going from MF to these fantastic super bosses of 3 ReMind.

But yeah in terms of "design" its a shitty boss since he almost forces you to go in with only Surges and Cures.

Last edited:

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I was talking to a friend about this. I was telling them how much trouble I was having at the fights (at this point I was doing Data Saix so this was before Xion and Master Xehanort were available to me, though at the time of this writing I've beaten all bosses) and they basically told me it sounds similar to how bosses in Dark Souls made them feel like.

Its definitely the most fun I've had with the series and I'm someone who had a pretty good opinion on KH3 already.
Mysterious Guy isnt actually that hard with Terra if you go really aggressive against him.

Beat him with Terra faster than with Aqua and Ventus since being defensive as Terra isnt a great option anyway.
MF is also arguably worst designed super boss in all of KH, hard for all the wrong reasons and very cheesable with certain commands and dodge roll spamming.

It's incredible to me how far the team has come, going from MF to these fantastic super bosses of 3 ReMind.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's bested both the Souls games and Re:Mind, Re:Mind is the much more difficult feat. Even the last boss of Sekiro and Orphan of Kos don't come close to the secret boss of Re:Mind.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Limit Cut/Secret Episode is a real example of "git gud" for better or worse cuz you can't grind and beat these bosses. You'll go through hell and back even at lvl 99 trying to beat all the bosses, especially at Critical.

Just got to the secret boss, just one more fight and the nightmare will be over lol.

These bosses are very well designed (as stated above it's shocking the team that made Mysterious Figure ended up just dropping 14 crazy and well designed bosses in one go) but damn are they hard. Definitely the hardest collection of bosses I've ever faced.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My wife has yet to start kingdom hearts 3, she's going to want to play this DLC but everything you're describing would turn her off of it immediately. If you played the game on normal would the DLC be doable by someone who doesn't want an insane challenge?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
God, and the music for this DLC is off the charts, too. All in all, if you've been sleeping on KH3, now is the best time to give it a go.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
My wife has yet to start kingdom hearts 3, she's going to want to play this DLC but everything you're describing would turn her off of it immediately. If you played the game on normal would the DLC be doable by someone who doesn't want an insane challenge?

I've seen people even on Standard have some difficulty. If you guys are going to get the DLC then start the game with the DLC installed, it'll give you an option at the very start of the game to unlock optional cheat codes for your playthrough. They're called EZ Codes, completely optional that you can toggle off and on, once you get to the bosses if you're having trouble then turn on some of the codes and have some fun.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I can't tell you how many times I've died to Data Saix and Riku. The bosses have all been a well designed challenge since its entirely possible to beat them without getting hit but that takes a lot of patience and skill. I'm on my lvl 99 Proud run doing these and these bosses definitely give Soulsbornes bosses a run for their money

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
That's disappointing to hear. I played through and beat the mind numbingly easy story mode before proud mode was a thing. Now I'm too burned out from beating Sekiro to play another "learn the boss pattern" game. I wish they would have designed the OG KH3 with a bit of challenge.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people even on Standard have some difficulty. If you guys are going to get the DLC then start the game with the DLC installed, it'll give you an option at the very start of the game to unlock optional cheat codes for your playthrough. They're called EZ Codes, completely optional that you can toggle off and on, once you get to the bosses if you're having trouble then turn on some of the codes and have some fun.

Cool I saw something about that, so it gives you the option to toggle them on or off freely throughout the game? Sounds great!

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Hiya fellow FROM lovers. It's no secret between us: a big part of what we love about FROM's games are their uncompromising, sometimes-frustrating boss fights. Sure, we have fun exploring, opening up shortcuts, fiddling around with our builds, but when it comes down to it each glorious level finds its raison d'etre when you push those double doors open and see whatever snarling beast or sword-bearing demon is on the other end. It's hard to explain to others, but we know that defeating a boss you've struggled for hours to best brings a satisfaction with it that is difficult to replicate, and it's why we keep coming back for more.

Now, hear me out: Kingdom Hearts 3 ReMind is for you. Before I proceed, lets get something out of the way, though.

KH3 ReMind requires a completed game save from KH3 to play. The base game will take the average player somewhere in-between 20 to 30 hours of play. While I think KH3 is a fun game, it's not what I'm here to discuss today, but it's important to grok that playing through it once is a non-negotiable aspect of playing KH3 ReMind. In my totally professional, unbaised opinion, it is well worth it to play through KH3 solely to play ReMind's Limit Cut episode for the reasons I'll outline below.

Ok, moving on.

KH3 ReMind is a 3-episode expansion to the base KH3 experience. The 1st episode of ReMind is a story-centric, short addition to the base game that ties up some loose ends you might be wondering about after you finish the base game. It is very easy to complete and shouldn't be considered a major barrier of entry to play ReMind.

The 2nd episode is called "Limit Cut."

Limit Cut is a standalone experience that can only be understood fully through comparison: if KH3 is DmC, then Limit Cut is DMC3 on the hardest difficulty. Put another way: if KH3 is Dark Souls, then Limit Cut is Sekiro on steroids. Not good enough? Look, if KH3 is Ninja Doggery on Ninja Gaiden, then Limit Cut is... you get the idea.

In Limit Cut, you stand in front of 13 doors; each door opens to reveal a unique, full-bodied boss fight that will *utterly* destroy you. That's right, these single-target, immaculately designed encounters are a level *and* a boss unto themselves: each fight contains multiple stages and phases against an opponent who is faster, vastly stronger, and almost certainly prettier than you are. You'll spend sometimes hours for each boss analyzing the offensive and defensive movesets of the boss, finding openings, exploring your movement options, manipulating your build, and learning how to tackle each step of the encounter. And that's after you unlearn everything you thought you knew from playing the base game, because the base KH3 game is laughably easy in comparison on nearly any difficulty. Up until now, KH was always a button masher: Limit Cut makes it something else entirely, and the expansion itself changes many aspects of the core KH3 experience to supplement this new difficulty. Combat feels different, faster, and more skillful than ever. You'll need it, too, since these fights will challenge you in exactly the same way the hardest FROM bosses do: when you finish an encounter, you'll get exactly that sense of satisfaction that we FROM folk feed off of. In fact, the satisfaction I got from completing Limit Cut is off the charts.

I realize you may need some more convincing about the kind of encounters you can anticipate having, so I brought a visual aid. Now, I highly recommend only watching this if you're not sold yet, and if you are but still want to see, I recommend only watching the first few moments of the fight.

Okay, I did mention that there were 3 episodes, didn't I? The third and final episode is unlocked when you complete all 13 Limit Cut bosses, and is composed of a single, insanely difficult boss fight against... well, it'd be a spoiler to say. But let me say this much: this boss is very possibly one of the hardest bosses ever put in a videogame. In fact, despite having made this thread, I am still working on this fight.

At this point I've either convinced you that ReMind is something you need to think about playing *right now*, or I've convinced you to stay far the fuck away from it. Both would be reasonable responses depending on the kind of player you are. It should be noted that KH3, unlike what you may be used to, has different difficulty options, though you lock-in to your difficulty when you start KH3, so you need to think very carefully about what you'll play on. It is highly recommended that you start on either Proud or Critical difficulty to have the experience I'm describing here. KH3 is laughably easy on even Proud difficulty, but ReMind on Proud is a challenging beast that I consider far more difficult than Sekiro, for example. I mention this because those who feel compelled to challenge themselves but are worried about being unable to complete the game can have a more accessible time by starting their file on a lower difficulty.

Nearby there is a thread for KH3 ReMind that breaks down in amazing detail everything that ReMind is, how it augments the base KH3 experience and answers all your burning questions. More than that, though, it's a place where those who are making their way through the 13 data fights may find a shoulder to cry on, or someone to help them strategize and hopefully win against their next challenging encounter. If that sounds like a FROM thread, and you're looking for something to challenge you while you wait on Elden Ring, my friend, I think you've found where the next 50-60 hours of your gaming career are headed. I want to be very clear on one thing, though: KH3 ReMind is NOT a From-like videogame. I would hope that would be obvious, but it bears being specific: ReMind's 2nd episode Limit Cut is a boss-rush mode with great unique boss fights, but it is not a From-like videogame.

I felt this topic deserved a thread because I didn't realize how much connective tissue there would be between this game, and FROM bosses. I'm mostly posting here for awareness about it, since from a critical standpoint the expansion isn't considered very good (many people are playing the 1st episode and stopping). There's a hidden gem here. I highly recommend visiting the ReMind OT to discuss ReMind, but this here is for people to share how ReMind sizes up either favorably or unfavorably to FROM-style bosses, and to answer questions specifically about how it may appeal to FROM fans. A special thanks goes out to everyone I've interacted with on that thread, and especially the OP Fj0823 for answering questions I had with so much patience.

i have beat Blood borne and every souls game and Yozora filtered me i cannot beat him its just beyond my ability. He is among the hardest bosses i have fought i gave up on Isshin because it was a slog each time this dude makes Isshin seem like a cakewalk

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly if she isn't into the idea of a bunch of super hard bosses wait for a sale on the DLC. It is not worth it for 30 bucks just for the story content.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'll get the DLC when it's considerably cheaper, though I've seen all the bosses already on streams/YT when it launched.

That said I don't like KH bosses that much because the flow of the fights is very different compared to From games, there's a clear distinction between attack and defense phases while in Souls games is more back and forth.

In KH you block/dodge during a considerable period of time and then get your opening to attack the boss that gets stunned while you are doing it so you can just mash attack with no risk involved until he recovers and start things all over again, and so on. I prefer the dodge->attack->dodge->attack approach.

Nov 17, 2017
The Limit Cut bosses kind of bummed me out to be honest. I don't really play games to be ground into the dirt repeatedly against bosses that you have to be flawless to defeat. I don't find that fun. I like a decent challenge and I expected the Limit Cut bosses to be hard but I wasn't expected to get obliterated within seconds in each encounter.

KH3 really does nothing to prepare you for the absurd difficulty of these bosses and it just feels unfair. Made me feel like I wasted money on the DLC cause I put it down once I realized there was a massive grind wall ahead of me to even take a health bar from one of these Xehanort jerks.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't like the super tough fights in Kingdom Hearts personally because my reflex's aren't always good enough to nav through the menus for healing items or magic in 1,2, and 3(haven't played a ton of 3 as I've only just started it after getting through the rest of the series). I like the command style in BBS a little better that doesn't have an attack option in the menu and you can customize your options to exactly how you like. Same with something like CoM where as Sora you can setup your deck perfectly to counter whatever enemy you are facing at the time can throw at you.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'd *strongly* recommend that anyone who is currently going through Limit Cut to go to the OT and ask for help. There are a *ton* of people who have struggled -- myself included -- with a lot of these bosses, but making changes to your movesets and coming into the fight with different strategies can make all the difference. There's a lot of accumulated knowledge over there.

Sometimes just watching a video will give you new ideas or show you openings that completely change your ability to deal damage, making an otherwise impossible boss immediately doable. Of course, I recommend *not* watching videos and doing as much as you can yourself, but if you're at wit's end with some of these bosses then it's worth doing so you can keep moving forward.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yozora and Xion are off the charts of how good they are and show satisfying it is to bloco/dodge their attacks.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Limit Cut/Secret Episode is a real example of "git gud" for better or worse cuz you can't grind and beat these bosses. You'll go through hell and back even at lvl 99 trying to beat all the bosses, especially at Critical.

Just got to the secret boss, just one more fight and the nightmare will be over lol.

These bosses are very well designed (as stated above it's shocking the team that made Mysterious Figure ended up just dropping 14 crazy and well designed bosses in one go) but damn are they hard. Definitely the hardest collection of bosses I've ever faced.

This is another great point.

There's not a ton of short-circuiting people can do with these bosses. Like, yeah, there are things you can do to make the fights easier from a strategy point of view (Ariel and Simba come to mind), and if you're like me and started with a bunch of Pro codes on you may start peeling those off more and more like bandaids, but at the end of the day you have to really learn these fights.

In my OP I probably didn't spend enough time discussion just how well-designed the fights are, so lets be clear: they are absolutely fucking immaculate in their design, visual language, and balance. Sure, there's some bullshit in there (a series of particularly nasty Xion stuns come to mind), but each one of the fights in Limit Cut transcend the game they're in. The ebb and flow of combat here is much more natural than people who played the base KH3 game or previous ones may think, and it brings Limit Cut closer and closer to the gold standard of combat you'd find in Sekiro or the Souls series, but with a frenetic pacing that is more akin to DMC.

I guess the KH3 collection just launched (there's a lot of KH love going on right now on era!), and I don't think ReMind is available yet on Xbox, but I'd really hope that people who would otherwise write this game off are willing to see ReMind as its own thing and deeply consider it if they love difficult bosses.

May 10, 2018
I don't like the super tough fights in Kingdom Hearts personally because my reflex's aren't always good enough to nav through the menus for healing items or magic in 1,2, and 3(haven't played a ton of 3 as I've only just started it after getting through the rest of the series). I like the command style in BBS a little better that doesn't have an attack option in the menu and you can customize your options to exactly how you like. Same with something like CoM where as Sora you can setup your deck perfectly to counter whatever enemy you are facing at the time can throw at you.
You don't have to navigate the command menu for items or magic. Just customize it so when you hold L1 you can set items or magic to X, O, Triangle or Square.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
You don't have to navigate the command menu for items or magic. Just customize it so when you hold L1 you can set items or magic to X, O, Triangle or Square.
I know about the shortcuts, I just don't like the menu system at all. I press down on accident a lot especially when things start getting hectic and it shifts from magic, to items and such and makes me accidentally use stuff. BBS was a better system for me because the battle menu could be anything that you wanted it as, there were no 'static' commands like attack aside from the link menu. I just prefer the more free nature of BBS to the main games, and feel it makes them easier to play.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I'm just too stubborn to learn KH3 combat system after beating it a year ago and the dlc retread. I did a few of the limit cut bosses and I was done. I think sekiro in a way has ruined it for me too.
It's accurate block/Parry system makes playing games like kh difficult. KH has floaty combat and the bosses do these ridiculous moves that once they start you can't parry for shit, or make it hard to tell when you're supposed to block since not all moves are blockable, but again it's also me being stubborn and not wanting to deal with what I feel is a weak combat system. It's not even the best one out of the series. It feels like a step down from BBS.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It took me over 30 hours to beat all of the bosses in there on Proud. From bosses are seriously a joke next to some of these.

Such great fights, too.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My critical setup just had high potions and cure on the shortcut menu which made for easy choosing. Otherwise had thunder and fire set and that pretty much the setup to have for pretty much all the bosses. Some may require something else (saix and blizzard for instance), but you don't need to really switch off that shortcut set and it's all very convenient to use in a pinch.

I'm just too stubborn to learn KH3 combat system after beating it a year ago and the dlc retread. I did a few of the limit cut bosses and I was done. I think sekiro in a way has ruined it for me too. It's accurate block/Parry system makes playing games like kh difficult. KH has floaty combat and the bosses do these ridiculous moves that once they start you can't parry for shit, or make it hard to tell when you're supposed to block since not all moves are blockable, but again it's also me being stubborn and not wanting to deal with what I feel is a weak combat system. It's not even the best one out of the series. It feels like a step down from BBS.

Holy hell. I know opinions and all, but damn do I disagree. Worse than BBS? Really? Wow. Tbf the moves that are unblock able are usually pretty easily telegraphed imo with typically them being a different color or surrounded in an aura which I'd find about as obvious as the kanji coming up in sekiro. It's really straightforward imo. Of course I find kh3 with the new abilities to have one of the most satisfying systems in general, so we are just going to have to agree to disagree I suppose.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just too stubborn to learn KH3 combat system after beating it a year ago and the dlc retread. I did a few of the limit cut bosses and I was done. I think sekiro in a way has ruined it for me too.
It's accurate block/Parry system makes playing games like kh difficult. KH has floaty combat and the bosses do these ridiculous moves that once they start you can't parry for shit, or make it hard to tell when you're supposed to block since not all moves are blockable, but again it's also me being stubborn and not wanting to deal with what I feel is a weak combat system. It's not even the best one out of the series. It feels like a step down from BBS.
KH3 is probably the best game for communicating which attacks are unblockable since they are all color coded.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I know its opinions and all but holy shit, how can you feel it's a step down from bloody BBS combat wise!? Even KH3 before the new ReMind abilities has better combat than BBS. I love that game but it has awful feedback from enemies, encourages dodge roll spam instead of well timed dodges and half the abilities aren't worth your time because some are just so much better than others

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Holy hell. I know opinions and all, but damn do I disagree. Worse than BBS? Really? Wow. Tbf the moves that are unblock able are usually pretty easily telegraphed imo with typically them being a different color or surrounded in an aura which I'd find about as obvious as the kanji coming up in sekiro. It's really straightforward imo. Of course I find kh3 with the new abilities to have one of the most satisfying systems in general, so we are just going to have to agree to disagree I suppose.
Again it's me just not wanting to put in the time to learn the system after beating vanilla KH. Especially after a year long break between release and dlc. But I liked BBS overall, KH3 just needs to stick with something. It tries to implement BBS system and flowmotion from DDD yet somehow does it worse by not really committing to either of them.

The movesets and tweaks added last month does help, making it feel a bit like KH2 which I loved but again, it was a year apart from release. A bit too late for me personally to care and relearn.

However, I hope they learned from their first HD KH game, as I'm definitely ready for that Kairi spin off. Her move set was just awesome.

KH3 is probably the best game for communicating which attacks are unblockable since they are all color coded.
First I ever heard about them being colored coded lol

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ha, I was thinking about making thia thread. But yeah, easily some of the best designed boss fights of this generation for sure. I've seen a lot of comparisons to FROM games, and aside from the first few hours of Bloodborne (Which I really enjoyed and should honestly get back to one of these days), I haven't really touched any of their games. I really should sometime, they sound like they have great bosses.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
They honestly look harder than O&S to me, but that may just be my experience with DS speaking, I can do O&S with one hand behind my back now, but on my first playthough they were like 5 meter thick brick wall.
I don't think I'd have the patience for this.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
(Most) unblockable attacks glow red. There's two unblockable attacks in particular from two separate bosses that glow blue instead of red, but the game will usually communicate this to you via the tips on the game over screen.
Yeah I had no idea. It's hard to hit the Game Over screen on vanilla KH 3, even on proud. Which in a way just puts you in my situation where when bosses finally require actual skill, it's a bit too late to break the habit of just using brute force.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cool I saw something about that, so it gives you the option to toggle them on or off freely throughout the game? Sounds great!
Even without these codes, on Standard difficulty it's very possible for anyone to cheese the secret boss and the fights leading up to them. Basically just use a link any time you're in trouble (Ariel is preferred) and you can get through with just a little bit of perseverance. I watched a pretty poorly executed run through of the secret boss that was successful with this method. It's on the modes above Standard that things get real, or if you keep yourself from using links.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
As someone who played all KH games right before 3, I don't think KH3 is that much easier than the other main titles in all honesty (not counting the side ones as they have very different combat systems and mechanics... and aren't very well balanced).

But it is missing one key thing the other games did have, and that's "That One Boss" that would get you to at learn to read patterns and test your knowledge of the mechanics in order to prepare you for harder content. KH1 and 2 had this, with Dark Riku in 1 and Roxas in 2 (Final Mix version only.)

Both bosses being a significant jump in difficulty compared to everything before and arguably after it as well, as Roxas in particular could be considered harder than the slew of bosses after him until you head into the post game. Riku is a bit of a weirder case because KH1 doesn't have a lot of humanoid bosses after him, even in the post game (just Sephiroth and Unknown.)

A lot of people rightfully clown on Dark Inferno (KH3's vanilla super boss) for being pathetically easy for a post game boss, but he would've been fine for the mid to end game as a hard boss you actually had to learn to beat.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I was thinking about making thia thread. But yeah, easily some of the best designed boss fights of this generation for sure. I've seen a lot of comparisons to FROM games, and aside from the first few hours of Bloodborne (Which I really enjoyed and should honestly get back to one of these days), I haven't really touched any of their games. I really should sometime, they sound like they have great bosses.

They do. I think if you're looking for the same amount of attention to detail and complicated moves sets that you see in ReMind in *every* single encounter in a FROM game, you'd be disappointed (there are some bosses that are dreadfully simple), but there are always many bosses that are simply great and even iconic. Also, from a pure visual design perspective FROM almost never misses.