• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why, but this morning I got into a really nostalgic mood and listened to the track listing for Twisted Metal 3, and while the whole Rob Zombie/industrial** metal thing isn't really me genre, that soundtrack has a special place in my heart due to the sheer number of times I listened to it playing the game as a kid. Then I remembered that the last Twisted Metal game was released for the PS3 all the way back in 2012, and got...lukewarm reception at best. If I remember correctly, it was just okay. I didn't play it a lot, but this was also during a time in my life where I was busy finishing up high school and the like.

I'm curious as to if there is still an audience for this kind of game, though. It's a very arcadey game series, and those kinds of games aren't really made anymore outside of digital-only small scale releases. Honestly, I'd be fine with a smaller, more arcadey version. The game doesn't need cutting-edge visuals, just keep the car combat gameplay intact.

Edit: Mixed up my genres, thanks Matthew77.

Last edited:

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I sure as shit hope so. A Black remake would be amazing!

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I don't know why, but this morning I got into a really nostalgic mood and listened to the track listing for Twisted Metal 3, and while the whole Rob Zombie/thrash metal thing isn't really me genre, that soundtrack has a special place in my heart due to the sheer number of times I listened to it playing the game as a kid. Then I remembered that the last Twisted Metal game was released for the PS3 all the way back in 2012, and got...lukewarm reception at best. If I remember correctly, it was just okay. I didn't play it a lot, but this was also during a time in my life where I was busy finishing up high school and the like.

I'm curious as to if there is still an audience for this kind of game, though. It's a very arcadey game series, and those kinds of games aren't really made anymore outside of digital-only small scale releases. Honestly, I'd be fine with a smaller, more arcadey version. The game doesn't need cutting-edge visuals, just keep the car combat gameplay intact.

From what I've heard, Twisted Metal PS3 was supposed to be a multiplayer-only deathmatch game, but partway through development Sony ordered it be turned into a retail one and upped the budget--but not enough to make the game "full". Like, there's only three "characters" (four, counting the multiplayer-only Preacher) despite all of the classic vehicles being represented, and the campaign wasn't fully tested.

Like, it is a hugely nostalgic series, but it's not something that supports a big budget. But I agree, I really would like new Twisted Metal (or car combat in general) released as a downloadable thing. I think Carmageddon had a revival on XBLA, but it reviewed very poorly?

Falcon Mike

Jun 5, 2019
I think there could be success there but they would have to cater to the times. So what is the thing now? Battle Royales. Think about it , A vehicle combat focused Battle Royale. Honestly it's now that entirely different from how Twisted Metal Multiplayer was.

If they were to put in a ton of effort on an very large amazing map with different characters (Vehicles) and great items pick ups it could be great.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
the twisted metal reboot on ps3 "should've" worked, but the online was broken from day 1, and despite the game itself actually being kinda OK the response to it probably set back any chances of another TM for awhile

Oct 24, 2019
I don't know why, but this morning I got into a really nostalgic mood and listened to the track listing for Twisted Metal 3, and while the whole Rob Zombie/thrash metal thing isn't really me genre, that soundtrack has a special place in my heart due to the sheer number of times I listened to it playing the game as a kid. Then I remembered that the last Twisted Metal game was released for the PS3 all the way back in 2012, and got...lukewarm reception at best. If I remember correctly, it was just okay. I didn't play it a lot, but this was also during a time in my life where I was busy finishing up high school and the like.

I have the feeling that the potential audience for such a game would be small.

I could see a Twisted Metal game being more successful than ever in the current climate to be honest. Rocket League shows that arcade-y non-racing car games can have broad appeal. Fortnite and Overwatch demonstrate the massive viability of battle royale and hero shooters respectively.

I think a modern-day Twisted Metal could draw upon the audience from those 3 games (aside from people who are just Twisted Metal fans to begin with) and become a huge hit.

Give it a BR mode, emphasize the IP's natural hero shooter DNA, and play up all the frenetic, chaotic, arcade-y energy of something like Rocket League, and I think you have something really special on your hands.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First, hate to be a pendant but Rob has never been involved with Thrash Metal. White Zombie started as noise/art rock and evolved into industrial metal, and in his solo work he wavered from industrial into groove then irrelevance.

As for Twisted Metal, love it and would like to see more. The PS3 game kind of killed it though, it got rid of the original stories which was half the draw, and while it could have been a successful MP game they botched it so bad that by the time it was fixed no one cared.

But yes, if they did a reboot with multiple characters with unique Black style stories and a MP mode that actually worked I could see it making a comeback, shit you could market it as a car dependent less participants battle royale without having to really change anything for what it's worth, it's always been a last car standing game single or multiplayer.

OP
OP
Niosai

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
First, hate to be a pendant but Rob has never been involved with Thrash Metal. White Zombie started as noise/art rock and evolved into industrial metal, and in his solo work he wavered from industrial into groove then irrelevance.

As for Twisted Metal, love it and would like to see more. The PS3 game kind of killed it though, it got rid of the original stories which was half the draw, and while it could have been a successful MP game they botched it so bad that by the time it was fixed no one cared.

But yes, if they did a reboot with multiple characters with unique Black style stories and a MP mode that actually worked I could see it making a comeback, shit you could market it as a car dependent less participants battle royale without having to really change anything for what it's worth, it's always been a last car standing game single or multiplayer.
You're absolutely right. I knew it wasn't thrash, but I couldn't think of the word, but it's definitely industrial metal. It's early and I'm still tired haha. I'll update OP to reflect that.

Dec 15, 2017
Car combat has to be back. But Twisted Metal being exclusive won't have much of an impact. What we need is a F2P massive game that puts the genre in the spotlight again. Battle Royale car combat needs to be a thing.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I am not sure. I liked the PS3 game and had fun with what they did but it also felt a bit on the shallow side.

It may have a chance again on PS5, deserves it, but it would not surprise me if it doesn't

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly?

I would be fine with them remastering TM2012 and adding more content to it. Add more endings (by that I mean make each driver unique and give them an ending) and maybe a couple more maps and I will be happy. No need to go crazy with the endings. Make cartoony ending like Head On's and it will be perfect.

Just fix the AI's issue where they just attack you instead of each other.

Edminton

Jun 4, 2018
Wasn't a Twisted Metal TV series announced to be in development last year? If that's still a thing, then I have no doubt a new game is in the works, as well. Not sure what kind of form it could take, though.

Not sure how much I'd want a remake, but that could be a good way to go, considering how successful some of those have been in recent years. Maybe a collection of remakes, like what's been done with Crash and Spyro.

Personally, I'd just want something new in the style of the first couple entries. Those were a blast. Twisted Metal: Head on was essentially that, and I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has a large stockpile of dead franchises that need to return -

Jak and Daxter
SOCOM
Twisted Metal
Sly Cooper
Infamous
Syphon Filter
Gravity Rush

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Surely.

But what I REALLY think we need in today's climate is a new Vigilante 8. Man that series was BUMPIN.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Doesn't seem like a genre that publishers are jumping at the chance to revive.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Twisted Metal (2012) and would love to see a similar package, just with more drivers and endings for the campaign like the classic games.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Twisted Metal was murdered behind a barn by Sony it's dead now.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think it fits into Sony's new direction.

It fills a nice gap in their catalogue but I would almost rather see an overhaul more with a tone of Vigilante 8- fun, stylish, colorful and violent but lighthearted would be a much better fit than the ridiculous over the top brooding grimdark slimy violent murder thing.

Also Sweet Tooth sucks and is an obvious relic from the over the top violent 90s and is best left buried.

On the topic of relics, Twisted Metal Black was cool when it came out on the early 2000s but it is certainly a product that was very obviously made in the early 2000s in terms of tone and everything. Has not aged well.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There were reports that a TM TV show is going to be part of Playstation Productions. If that's the case then it's hard to imagine that they aren't going to do another game. I gotta say, if they ever do another one then I hope that they go back to what they were doing when the series started. Where it's not just pure darkness like Black or the reboot. Also obviously return to where you're in real locations that can be blown up to create new paths so that the arena is constantly changing as you play.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL you mean from the same Sony that releases like one multiplayer game per gen not named MLB?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Jak and Daxter
SOCOM
Twisted Metal
Sly Cooper
Infamous
Syphon Filter
Gravity Rush

While I understand the sentiment. Both inFamous and Gravity Rush games released this gen on the PS4, unlike the rest of the games on the list that haven't had a new game at all since the PS3.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
As a huge Twisted Metal fan, if we do I sure hope it's more in the vein of TM2 or TM Black. Especially where the character is the car + the person and you can't use other cars with the character. I liked the TM PS3 story stuff but it also meant only three stories and that was disappointing.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To me, Twisted Metal is an iconic PS brand, despite being absent this gen. There have been TM games on ps1, ps2, ps3, and evening the psp got a great TM game. Black has been remastered sorta through the ps2 classics too.
I really hope that it makes a comeback, but it can't follow the model that the PS3 game had, because that essentially killed it off. The races sucked, but other than that it was probably the best TM to be released in my eyes. I never did any local MP, so my experience was all online, but it was a blast.

OP
OP
Niosai

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Jak and Daxter
SOCOM
Twisted Metal
Sly Cooper
Infamous
Syphon Filter
Gravity Rush
Jak and Daxter is a sore spot for me. Finding out Naughty Dog went for TLoU rather than a new Jak and Daxter game was a gut punch and is a big reason I've never played TLoU. (I know, not playing it out of spite is stupid, but I'd spend the whole time feeling bitter)

Honestly, I think it being tied to Sony is another big issue. It'd be up to Sony to bring it back, and they don't seem to be in a big "revival" mood these days for any of their franchises.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I was thinking this yesterday and was going to make a thread. I really would like to see a next gen version with all the bells and whistles.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Yes but now it is a tps cinematic game where sweet tooth needs to teach how to drive to his son

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Car combat feels very niche today. None of the indies have made waves and the PS3 game from the original developers didn't sell any copies :( i liked it, good enough visuals, controls were modern, had a good car selection and game modes.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019

Jak and Daxter
SOCOM
Twisted Metal
Sly Cooper
Infamous
Syphon Filter
Gravity Rush
I really can't help but feel Sony completely drop the ball with Socom.
When pubg was gaining momentum and succeeding, SONY should have put all hands on deck and made their own BR with Socom, especially as Sony lack a proper exclusive multiplayer game.
Heck still not too late looking at the success of warzone.

Socom and Getaway, two games I sorely miss.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Yes but now it is a tps cinematic game where sweet tooth needs to teach how to drive to his son

I laughed way too hard at this. Worst thing is, I can almost see this happening.

"Son, find the strength in you to take revenge on Calypso and finally...set your head on fire" *huge orchestra music swelling up*

Critics raving about how they never expected to feel something for an insane clown other than the Joker. GOTY 2025 material right there, mark my words.