• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like Microsoft has to have noticed the huge success of the Crash and Spyro remasters.

I mean, if memes can bring back Battletoads, I'm pretty sure the success of other late-nineties 3D platformer revivals can bring back B-K.

Microsoft could use another family-friendly franchise. And I think they could release B-K games on Switch without everyone losing their shit.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so so, so god damn bad. I would be happy with just a port of the original/Tooie on to more platforms like Switch. I have no idea why they haven't done that yet, considering Banjo is in Smash, and Microsoft has already been putting some of their other flagship games on the Switch. Especially considering Banjo's relationship with Nintendo, people would eat that shit up.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remakes are long overdue. I'm surprised they haven't happened yet actually.

A sequel seems determined by how remakes would preform I assume.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Also yes. I was optimistic even before the Smash announcement. I *almost* expect it to happen within the next few years. With Rare being directly involved in the Battletoads reboot, I could them eventually move on to Banjo-Kazooie. If Perfect Dark gets announced at E3, I will take it as yet another sign that Xbox/Rare is serious about bringing back Rare IP.

4J Studios is a good suggestion for Banjo-Kazooie, but ideally I'd want it to be made by Rare and Playtonic. With Playtonic doing the brunt of the work, Gregg Mayles as creative director and Rare's tech team providing help with the engine and other technical stuff.

I hope so so, so god damn bad. I would be happy with just a port of the original/Tooie on to more platforms like Switch. I have no idea why they haven't done that yet, considering Banjo is in Smash, and Microsoft has already been putting some of their other flagship games on the Switch. Especially considering Banjo's relationship with Nintendo, people would eat that shit up.
It's too early to read into Microsoft's strategy for the Switch. Aside from Minecraft, they've only released Ori for Switch thus far. Not really a lot to go on yet. Plus, Phil Spencer has been open to bringing Banjo to Smash since 2015.

Then there's the fact that Banjo ports for the Switch would require a bigger job than one would think. Even on the Switch, the 30FPS/720P of B-K XBLA is unacceptable. Then you need to consider that they would also have to bring the games to the PC, where it would be even more unacceptable with 720P. Lastly, they would also need to make new native ports for Xbox One / Series X for parity's sake. It's not a simple port job.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Crash and Spyro, it's the safest and perhaps most effective way to bring Banjo back. Many consider BK a great game, but it's obviously dated and could use some QoL touches. I would be all over a remake.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Crash and Spyro, it's the safest and perhaps most effective way to bring Banjo back. Many consider BK a great game, but it's obviously dated and could use some QoL touches. I would be all over a remake.
Banjo fans always bring this one up, but it's worth mentioning in every thread. One for Rare's scrapped ideas for their first Banjo game on 360 was a pseudo-remake of Banjo-Kazooie.

banjokazooie.fandom.com

Banjo X

Banjo X was a remake of Banjo-Kazooie that Rareware were developing for the Xbox in 2005, which was eventually cancelled and redeveloped into Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. In an effort to surprise players who're familiar with Banjo-Kazooie, the game would have been advertised as a straightforward...

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even fathom what a BK remake would be.

It's not like 3D collectithons flourished and evolved over the years and now Banjo Kazooie feels dated in comparison. The only good games in the genre since 2000 have been remasters of other games from the '90s and Mario Odyssey which doesn't really do anything drastic to move the genre forward. What would you even change about Banjo Kazooie?

Crash and Spyro aged as well and the remakes still happened. It's not about moving the genre forward(which odyssey did pretty well IMO), but with remakes it's about fun and nostalgia and playing the same game with fresh graphics and soundtrack.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Crash and Spyro aged as well and the remakes still happened. It's not about moving the genre forward(which odyssey did pretty well IMO), but with remakes it's about fun and nostalgia and playing the same game with fresh graphics and soundtrack.
Those are the remasters I was talking about, they used the same geometry as the original games just with new assets slapped on top to varying success.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly if they dont announce it by the first year of the new console generation its never coming back

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
If a company thinks they can squeeze even a penny out of an old IP, it'll come back eventually. Unfortunately, MS and Rare clearly are in no rush to do so.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it, as Rare won't be involved.
Why do you think that? They already have an internal team, albeit a small one, that's working on the Battletoads reboot. Would make sense if they also were involved with a new Banjo-Kazooie game if it got made.

Rare also had a small internal team that worked with Sakurai on getting Banjo into Smash. With Paul Cunningham, who worked as an artist on Diddy Kong Racing, as one of the key members on the Banjo in Smash team.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
We live in a world where we got Shenmue 3

It'll happen. Eventually. Now would be perfect given the resurgence of 3D platformers from the late 90s + Banjo in Smash, but they sure seem to be taking their fucking time nonetheless.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
They should let Playtonic have it.
Unless Playtonic only wants to work on its own IPs, I bet this is the route they're going to take if Xbox/Rare decides to bring back Banjo-Kazoie.

Considering that The Impossible Lair seemingly didn't sell all that well, this could be a way for Playtonic to create more publicity for themselves. Hopefully TIL has had legs though. It's a fantastic game.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Put Rare Replay on PC as step 1. That in itself will sell like hot cakes.
Rare Replay on PC probably won't happen until the 360 emulator gets an official version on PC.

I think the best one can hope for is new versions of select Rare classics. Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Viva Pinata, etc. Maybe Perfect Dark 64 if there indeed is a new Perfect Dark in the works.

Why, though? It wasn't the IP that was the main issue with Yooka-Laylee. It was a technical mess.
I was disappointed with Yooka-Laylee too, but for what it's worth they were still building the studio when they made the first Yooka-Laylee.

When development on Y-L began they had like 5 or 6 team members in total.

With Playtonic's full team and assistance from Rare's tech team I think they could craft something really great.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless Playtonic only wants to work on its own IPs, I bet this is the route they're going to take if Xbox/Rare decides to bring back Banjo-Kazoie.

Considering that The Impossible Lair seemingly didn't sell all that well, this could be a way for Playtonic to create more publicity for themselves. Hopefully TIL has had legs though. It's a fantastic game.
where was it said that Impossible Lair didn't do well?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
where was it said that Impossible Lair didn't do well?
It didn't chart well in Nintendo's eshop iirc.

Edit:
nintendoeverything.com

Switch eShop charts - October 12, 2019

This week’s Switch eShop charts are as follows: All Games 1. Untitled Goose Game 2. Zelda: Link’s Awakening 3. Bastion 4. Crypt of the NecroDancer 5. Transistor 6. Membrane 7. Cuphead 8. Dragon Quest XI S 9. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition 10. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast...
nintendoeverything.com

Switch eShop charts - October 5, 2019

This week’s Switch eShop charts are as follows: All Games 1. Untitled Goose Game 2. Zelda: Link’s Awakening 3. Membrane 4. Star Wars: Jedi Knights II: Jedi Outcast 5. Dragon Quest XI S 6. Castle Crashers Remastered 7. Bastion 8. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition 9. Cuphead 10. Crypt...

I realize that it doesn't necessarily mean that The Impossible Lair didn't turn a profit. But as far as reaching a wide audience goes, I don't think TIL did all that great. A new Banjo-Kazooie backed by a big publisher could help them widen their audience.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm kind of optimistic, but I'm kind of not. Banjo being in Smash certainly has brought the IP back into the spotlight and opens up some opportunities, but I wouldn't be surprised if Banjo doesn't get a game again next gen. People always think Banjo will return every generation and he never does.

And no, don't point to Nuts & Bolts or the XBLA remakes.

Definitive proof that the next game is in development at Ubisoft:

cb05a47c-bb8c-4eb8-9631-018e49cc9fb4.PNG

Haha is that really a Banjo Kazooie reference? That's kind of awesome if so. What game is that anyway?