• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I miss that old bear and bird. With Microsoft reviving their first party efforts, do you think we'll see a revival next generation?

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
If we do, I doubt it'll be by RARE and I could see them making it a 2D platformer instead of a 3D Collectathon.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we do, it won't be from Rare. Microsoft and Rare would have to feel comfortable lending the IP to a studio that would be a good fit. Dlala working on Battletoads is a good example

This is a reason why I'm very thankful Banjo is in Smash. Besides the fact it's been a twenty year dream in the making, as long as Smash Ultimate is going Banjo-Kazooie is essentially immortalized.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Modern versions of those game with additional QoL changes (like being able to play Tooie at a reasonable frame rate) already exist.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'll be amazed if MS hasn't considered it after the success of Crash and Spyro.
Banjo 1 and 2 could do with a new remake that cleans up some of the issues (moreso in tooie).
Would also be a great way to get a new team comfortable with the game before doing threeie.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Maybe? Turn-of-the-century nostalgia and 3D platforming nostalgia are both in right now. People who grew up with the original games now have kids to play them with. But Rare has been very vocal they don't want to return to it and I'm not sure who you could turn to in order to replicate the original quality and charm (yes, I know there's Playtonic).

At this point, I just want ports on the Switch.

But hey, at least they're in Smash...

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Kazooie+Tooie HD on Switch would be like printing money, not even factoring in Xbox sales. A win/win for both companies, there's no reason not to do it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Probably. I imagine we get a remake of Kazooie and Tooie from a non-Rare developer for XB1/XSX/PC (possibly going to Switch eventually but definitely not to begin with) and if they sell well enough, said developer gets their own crack at a new game, albeit with some oversight from Rare vets like Gregg Mayles.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Definitive proof that the next game is in development at Ubisoft:

cb05a47c-bb8c-4eb8-9631-018e49cc9fb4.PNG

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't say remakes would especially appeal to me. I'd still buy them, especially if they ended up on Switch, but I think the original games with the QOL improvements they have in the XBLA versions are enough as is. Tooie's problems are too fundamental to the game design that I can't see how a remake would help it beyond it being a straight up reimagining.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I can't even fathom what a BK remake would be.

It's not like 3D collectithons flourished and evolved over the years and now Banjo Kazooie feels dated in comparison. The only good games in the genre since 2000 have been remasters of other games from the '90s and Mario Odyssey which doesn't really do anything drastic to move the genre forward. What would you even change about Banjo Kazooie?

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I'm sure it will happen eVeNtUaLlY.
Nostalgic reboots are one of the few constants in this hellworld that we call the modern age.

I actually think that it is likely to see it sooner (within the next five years) rather than later. There does seem to be a little bit of momentum behind a small resurgence of the 3D collecathon mascot platformer. And I think we are ripe for PS1 and N64 nostalgia now.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly my preference would be to have a full Banjo Kazooie remake rather than a all new platformer sequel.
Just take the same levels and everything, but give it Next Gen graphics.

Banjo Kazooie is one of my favorite games of all time, yet Tooie just doesn't do anything for me. Levels are too large, objectives are often too complicated, way too many powers thrown in, etc.
And Yooka Laylee got closer but still didn't come close for me
BK just seems like lightning in a bottle for me.

...But I'd be down for a sequel to Nuts and Bolts! Loved that game and I appreciate how it did its own thing.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah I think a remake of 1 and 2 would be "Resident Evil 2 style" where it's a re-imagining as well.
There definitely wouldn't be a real need for Banjo exactly as-is but with new graphics like there was with Spyro and Crash

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Personally I want something like a Mega Man 9 as a Banjo-Kazooie 3 - same old blocky models, but of course sharp HD like the remasters and the opportunity to "improve" on the game design of Tooie. Much more interesting than a remake - the HD remasters are beautiful, really. The graphics are timeless. Banjo is the quintessential, iconic N64 game and they may as well ape-in to that.

That of course feels like way too much of a dream to ever believe it would be real though.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even fathom what a BK remake would be.

It's not like 3D collectithons flourished and evolved over the years and now Banjo Kazooie feels dated in comparison. The only good games in the genre since 2000 have been remasters of other games from the '90s and Mario Odyssey which doesn't really do anything drastic to move the genre forward. What would you even change about Banjo Kazooie?
Banjo-Kazooie doesn't need much changes in the design department.

The beauty of it is that it simultaneously maintains a large scope without inundating the player with too much to do. By cordoning off the levels such that can be completed in one go without backtracking, and placing those individual levels in a connective overworld, you've got a nice balance between linearity and openness that makes it feel like a grand adventure. Odyssey does pretty much the same thing, albeit it replaces strictly one-shot levels with the Odyssey upgrade system, allowing you to at least go on and beat the game with the minimum amount of collectibles, but without having ever having to jump out of a level to another in order to complete it.

It is a genre that doesn't need to be moved forward because I think it is inherently timeless, and I would argue attempts to do so are what sunk later installments and attempts. Throwing the player in these huge, sprawling, confusing levels that all need unique power-ups or unlock keys from completely different levels and forcing high amounts of backtracking and guesswork just for the sake of increasing the scale make for a flaccid experience. I want to jump in to a little sandbox, have my fill of platforming goodness without these kinds of leashes, and then jump to the next world.

ALL you have to do, really, is just take the same Banjo-Kazooie and update the graphics and camera system. That's it.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Banjo-Tooie is garbage. I tried so hard to finish that game since I love the original so much. I couldn't even finish it playing the HD version on XBLA with the Nintendo Power Player's Guide at my side.

The HD XBLA version of Banjo-Kazooie is perfect. I don't think a better remake could be done without changing the game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

The beauty of it is that it simultaneously maintains a large scope without inundating the player with too much to do. By cordoning off the levels such that can be completed in one go without backtracking, and placing those individual levels in a connective overworld, you've got a nice balance between linearity and openness that makes it feel like a grand adventure. Odyssey does pretty much the same thing, albeit it replaces strictly one-shot levels with the Odyssey upgrade system, allowing you to at least go on and beat the game with the minimum amount of collectibles, but without having ever having to jump out of a level to another in order to complete it.

It is a genre that doesn't need to be moved forward because I think it is inherently timeless, and I would argue attempts to do so are what sunk later installments and attempts. Throwing the player in these huge, sprawling, confusing levels that all need unique power-ups or unlock keys from completely different levels and forcing high amounts of backtracking and guesswork just for the sake of increasing the scale make for a flaccid experience. I want to jump in to a little sandbox, have my fill of platforming goodness without these kinds of leashes, and then jump to the next world.

ALL you have to do, really, is just take the same Banjo-Kazooie and update the graphics and camera system. That's it.
Yeah that's kind of what I was alluding to. I'd be interested in a nice remaster (hopefully one that is a little more respectful to the original aesthetics than the N. Sane Trilogy, although that's a decent example) but definitely don't want anyone trying to remake it.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's kind of what I was alluding to. I'd be interested in a nice remaster (hopefully one that is a little more respectful to the original aesthetics than the N. Sane Trilogy, although that's a decent example) but definitely don't want anyone trying to remake it.
I think you could rebuild the game from the ground up using current control and physics standards. I would like to see a Banjo-Kazooie that's as kinetic and momentum-maintaining as Mario is.

Just don't....touch the level design. That's how glitterbombs happen.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I want to jump in to a little sandbox, have my fill of platforming goodness without these kinds of leashes, and then jump to the next world.

I agree with basically the entirety of your post, but this is exactly why Banjo-Kazooie remains one of my all time favorite games. Each level feels like a compact amusement park with places to search and things to do. I appreciate Tooie's ambition, but it simply lacks the "pick up and play" element that makes the original Banjo-Kazooie a masterpiece.

May 25, 2019
London

Well said. Tooie ruined some of that by forcing constant backtracking and interconnecting the levels way too much. I used to hate how I could only get 50% or less of the jiggies in a given world my first time visiting.

If they do make another one of these, I hope they don't take too many lessons from Odyssey. I found that the way that Odyssey throws moons at you really defeated any sense of satisfaction that I was used to from getting stars or shines previously. I want a main collectible to be the prize after a 15-20 minute adventure/puzzle/platforming segment - not just thrown at me one after another as I slowly work my way through a level.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The only real changes you need to make are adding a robust map system and convenient fast travel system inside the levels themselves to Tooie.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Id love one. I imagine microsoft may be worried about interest in the ip but if his presence in smash tells us a anything, its that the duo is still relavent. I imagine they would see great success if they made a new game for xbox, pc, and switch

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I could see Microsoft/Rare commissioning a remake of the original, and seeing what the interest level in it was. However, Rare have made it kinda clear that they aren't fond of just making sequels to their old IP, so if there was a new game I'd expect them to just be consulting with someone else.

Playtonic would be the obvious fit to farm out a sequel, seeing as they are ex-Rare, their studio is literally "down the street" so to speak, and their games so far have seemed tailored towards trying to recapture the old days ("spiritual successors" to Banjo and DKC).

Honestly, before they got acquired by Sony, I'd have loved to see Insomniac make a new Banjo game, as I think they'd bring a unique new energy and writing to it, and they'd have the confidence not to just slavishly try and emulate the old games.

They could also, as part of their new business "friendship" with Nintendo, loan the IP to them to make a cross-platform sequel for Xbox and Switch. But that one is just wishful thinking.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a remake of the original B&K is already in progress, and we just don't know about it yet. Microsoft and Rare both know the interest is there, and if they want to gauge the broader mass market's appetite, remaking the original first would be a no brainer. It'd also be an easy crowd pleaser to announce at something like E3, akin to when Sony announced Shenmue 3 and FF7 Remake on their stage all those years ago and the fanboys were fainting in the aisles, haha.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well said. Tooie ruined some of that by forcing constant backtracking and interconnecting the levels way too much. I used to hate how I could only get 50% or less of the jiggies in a given world my first time visiting.

If they do make another one of these, I hope they don't take too many lessons from Odyssey. I found that the way that Odyssey throws moons at you really defeated any sense of satisfaction that I was used to from getting stars or shines previously. I want a main collectible to be the prize after a 15-20 minute adventure/puzzle/platforming segment - not just thrown at me one after another as I slowly work my way through a level.
I know what you mean, although I appreciate both styles. I consider Odyssey's moon placement its own sort of variable difficulty. There's enough that are easily obtainable enough to get you going, but for more intrepid players you are free to go after those harder ones. The fact that moons were so scattered around also made exploring rewardable in a BotW way, because there was a high likelihood you'd be rewarded for the trouble of getting to this odd place.

But, for a Banjo-Kazooie remake (or even a proper sequel which needs to happen ;~;) I feel you: more collectables at the end of these Rube Goldberg-esque puzzles. If nothing else they make for awesome setpieces that give the levels a unique mechanical identity.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
Personally I want something like a Mega Man 9 as a Banjo-Kazooie 3 - same old blocky models, but of course sharp HD like the remasters and the opportunity to "improve" on the game design of Tooie. Much more interesting than a remake - the HD remasters are beautiful, really. The graphics are timeless. Banjo is the quintessential, iconic N64 game and they may as well ape-in to that.

That of course feels like way too much of a dream to ever believe it would be real though.
This sooooo bad! I say don't what isn't broken. Of course make framerate better. Make it about same size as Banjo-Kazooie with about 10 levels. Bring Grant Kirkhope back with sampled midi sounds.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I think its insane Microsoft hasn't announced a remake yet, you would think Banjo in Smash would get the hype going.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd love a sequel, but have no interest in a remake

The HD ports of 1 and 2 are still fine

Last edited:

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair

If not Rare, they're the ones imo. They were the studio that worked with Rare to bring the Remastered versions of B-K, B-T, and Perfect Dark to the 360. All completely retextured and with Stop n Swop intact! And hey...they are actually working on something else other than Minecraft now. Plus, Klobrille mentioned that there are some old Xbox worlds that will be coming back... With 4J already having a relationship with Rare and experience on the franchise, seems they'd be a prime candidate to partner with.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yes, it's a Microsoft IP and I'm fairly certain that even now they are probably doing some prototypes if not developing a new game. I think they may haven't found exactly where to go with it next.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes/No/Maybe.

I think if Banjo comes back, it has to be done correctly and have a solid budget and quality team behind it.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Just having the HD ports on Switch is all I ask for, BK in particular is still one of the GOAT for me.