• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
the ps1 1997 cult classic moon has no combat, and it releases today in English on Switch.

Check out the OT here:
www.resetera.com

moon |OT| don't be a hero OT

[GENERAL INFO] Publisher: Onion Games Developer: Love-de-Lic (original release), Onion Games (Switch release) Platform: Nintendo Switch Release Date: October 10, 2019 (JP), August 27, 2020 (WW) Price: $18.99, €15.99, £14.49, CAN$24.99, ¥1,980 Supported Languages: English, Japanese Game Size: 1.3...

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Flight Simulator - Could be a lot of fun if they included some cool WWII style dogfights

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Soma. In fact it is a much better game when you just play it on story difficulty.

May 10, 2019
Umm, Microsoft Flight Simulator came to mind.

UnfoldedRealDove-size_restricted.gif

CookedLimitedBovine-max-1mb.gif

Now adding Combat to it opens up a few different ideas you could go. In my case, WW1 or WW2 with this ground detail and during something like a bombing mission. Either as a pilot or bombardier and actually seeing a city you are about to bomb with this much detail to it would give me pause.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
They already made that game, it's called Tetris Battle Gaiden and it's pretty good.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Just finished Outer Wilds and loved it. No combat, and think it works perfect. However, I wouldn't have minded some sort of weapon for the Dark Bramble segment.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I thought of Abzu. And no, it's meant to be a relaxing exploration game. Combat would just create unnecessary tension.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Rock Band 3

Wouldn't really affect it. If it's directly in the gameplay it would be a little gimmicky, probably, but most likely it'd probably have been incorporated into the game's intro or a cutscene or something.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020
    • With combat, we would definitely be able to play dogfights and have a serious competition with Ace Combat in a hurricane / monsoon.
  • Clubhouse Games 51: Worldwide Classics
    • With combat, I would love to see nice twists on Combat Chess, Battle Shogi, or Exploding Mancala

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Umm, Microsoft Flight Simulator came to mind.

UnfoldedRealDove-size_restricted.gif

CookedLimitedBovine-max-1mb.gif

Now adding Combat to it opens up a few different ideas you could go. In my case, WW1 or WW2 with this ground detail and during something like a bombing mission. Either as a pilot or bombardier and actually seeing a city you are about to bomb with this much detail to it would give me pause.
It's exactly what they've done as the follow-up to previous versions of Flight Simulator.

51J88R8QAEL._AC_.jpg

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Kerbal Space Program: Arguably, better with multiplayer and combat, simply due to more wacky fun to be had.

VVVVVV: Possibly worse, though not sure if being able to destroy some threats before they kill and respawn you would matter.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds: Would be worse, I think; so much of the effectiveness of the tone of the game hinges on how small and insignificant you are on an interplanetary scale.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Any game without combat could be better with combat, the thing is that the premise of the thought experiment makes you immediately assume it would be a bad implementation of combat instead of adaptating a system that would work in harmony with how the game already works.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
OneShot with combat would be awful. The dour yet hopeful atmosphere and worldbuilding would be completely wrecked with a battle system. Plus, the main character is just a child who wants to go home so it would make the game way worse.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What Remains Of Edith Finch except I'm fighting zombies.

idk if its better or worse but id say an interesting yet morbid twist!

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Any game without combat could be better with combat, the thing is that the premise of the thought experiment makes you immediately assume it would be a bad implementation of combat instead of adaptating a system that would work in harmony with how the game already works.
Well, no. Not every game. The quality of implementation does not matter, the question is whether the final result would be better or worse as a game, the sum total of the experience. Adding combat to fundamentally combatless games meant for relaxation, or most puzzle type games, would only degrade the experience regardless of how well the combat aspect was implemented.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Think of all the impressive techs speedrunners would be able to make use of if the player character had a rocket launcher in Dear Esther.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on a Hatsune Miku binge lately. I... guess the Vocaloids could fight based on how well you hit the rhythm notes? But they're not fighters and wouldn't fight. Sounds terrible.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Well, no. Not every game. The quality of implementation does not matter, the question is whether the final result would be better or worse as a game, the sum total of the experience. Adding combat to fundamentally combatless games meant for relaxation, or most puzzle type games, would only degrade the experience regardless of how well the combat aspect was implemented.
The thing is that combat is just a building block to a game same as soundtrack or puzzles or tactics, or leveling up. There's no inherent quality to it that would make it not relaxing for example, or even demanding at all. In fact marvel puzzle quest is a game that has it's combat made up of match 3 puzzles for example.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix Wright with combat would be funny for like 5 minutes but it would absolutely be a worse game.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what Edith would even fight in What Remains of Edith Finch, but ya, worse game with it.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Bullshit

Let enemies have crazy missles and weapons that are Megaman tier creative and you only have the Portal gun and your wits to clear the room.

with good level design (Portal's strength) This is cash money
The first Portal already, technically, had combat. In one very specific room you have to destroy a missile launcher by redirecting its missile back at it. Portal 2 had many instances of blowing up turrets by redirecting lasers Thermal Discouragement Beams into them, including via hand-held Discouragement Redirection Cubes.

The thing is that combat is just a building block to a game same as soundtrack or puzzles or tactics, or leveling up. There's no inherent quality to it that would make it not relaxing for example, or even demanding at all. In fact marvel puzzle quest is a game that has it's combat made up of match 3 puzzles for example.

Well yes, combat is a building block. However, it does not mean that whether or not it's present at all, does not influence how well the game succeeds at its intentions. A puzzle game like Klocki, where you have to find intricate ways to manipulate various pieces to make paths between points, would not necessarily have any application of combat that would make it better as a puzzle game. Rhythm Tengoku, and all games of that series, would not be any better if they had some kind of combat system where an opponent can hurt you or interfere with your progress through the challenges, though now that I think of it an entirely different kind of game built on that principle could work, in multiplayer, similar to versus tetris and puyo puyo.

The question is not whether or not a new game could be made by adding combat, the question is how would a given game change if it had combat added in.

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I can't think of a single example that would be better with added combat.

Games without it are that way for a reason.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

.....so it'd just be.....Dead or Alive.

I've been on a Hatsune Miku binge lately. I... guess the Vocaloids could fight based on how well you hit the rhythm notes? But they're not fighters and wouldn't fight. Sounds terrible.
Didn't they make a game based on the song Black Rock Shooter, meaning they made a game based on Vocaloid involving combat?

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Spiritfarer doesn't have it and I think it works well, and also fits better with the themes of the game.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Gone Home. Would be an entirely different game. The things it teases at the start would have to cashed in.

Inside. Sorta has combat, but the obstacles it asks you to contemplate on would lose their effect if you can outpower them, I think.

Celeste. Absolutely worse. The central message of "You can do this" would be diluted if it becomes "You can do this... by punching things."

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mirror's Edge, really wish it didn't have any combat because that's the most trash aspect of the game.