• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madame x

May 15, 2020
Orb is a concern troll more interesting in knocking down voices critical of Trump than actually criticizing trump. They criticize Biden more than they criticize trump.
On this site everyone pretty much hates trump. Discussing bidens flaws is probably more productive as there are more people defending him here.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The real question is: Are TLP ads effective and, if so, why? Is it because they infuriate Trump more than the rest? I know that's why *I* enjoy them

But don't worry OP, i'm not going to turn conservative just because of that.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Anybody who thinks we need a republican backed bullshit group peddling videos to beat trump is being fucking shallow. His base isn't going to give a fuck about these videos. All it does is preach to our choir and we respond by normalizing the platform for future use after this is over.

These ads have had a measurable impact. They've directly lead to the Trump campaign spending money in the DC tv market just to make Trump feel better.

They helped lead to Trump spending 15 minutes last night talking about how he could barely walk down a ramp.

This isn't for the base- its for his soft support that is looking for a reason to not vote for him.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is aware of who they are.

That's what makes their ads and messaging so effective and shareable - because you can easily use it to say "look, it's not just the liberals who want him out - even those from his own 'side' of the aisle want him gone".

Yeah, in 2 years time they're probably not going to be fighting for the same things you are - but for the next 5 months, they're the enemy of your enemy.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully only people in my friend circle posting these ads are white liberals who also applauded when Pelosi ripped up Trump's speech or think the Trump Baby balloon is edgy. It's all about theatricality and performative woke nonsense to these people. Surface level understanding.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
These ads have had a measurable impact. They've directly lead to the Trump campaign spending money in the DC tv market just to make Trump feel better.

They helped lead to Trump spending 15 minutes last night talking about how he could barely walk down a ramp.

This isn't for the base- its for his soft support that is looking for a reason to not vote for him.

And you've made the calculation in your mind, that empowering people who have a history of oppressing our communities is worth it because we can't make our own videos to influence those people? Do we not all know already how ridiculous trump is?

again, this is such a shallow point to make. The only thing that's going to decide this election is voter turnout, not these videos that make us laugh at the wannabe dictator. The Lincoln project has gone from complete obscurity to massive social media presence and we are giving horrible people a huge platform to use in the future.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The real question is: Are TLP ads effective and, if so, why? Is it because they infuriate Trump more than the rest? I know that's why *I* enjoy them

But don't worry OP, i'm not going to turn conservative just because of that.

they are effective for two reasons.

1) they get under Trump's skin causing him to get desperate which makes him do even dumber shit
2) the ads mostly air on Fox News airing the terrible shit Trump does on a daily basis to moderate Republicans (this won't change their vote but it will likely make them stay home and not vote this cycle)

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
they are effective for two reasons.

1) they get under Trump's skin causing him to get desperate which makes him do even dumber shit
2) the ads mostly air on Fox News airing the terrible shit Trump does on a daily basis to moderate Republicans (this won't change their vote but it will likely make them stay home)

1. There are literally a billion ways to get under trumps skin.

2. we can do this exact same thing without empowering an oppressive group of officials who will use their platform to continue the same systemic injustice everybody here claims to be against.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
again, this is such a shallow point to make. The only thing that's going to decide this election is voter turnout, not these videos that make us laugh at the wannabe dictator. The Lincoln project has gone from complete obscurity to massive social media presence and we are giving horrible people a huge platform to use in the future.

These ads will directly suppress Republican voter turnout. They are laser focused. Additionally, they're having the bountiful effect of distracting Trump's time and money because he easily gets his feelings hurt.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
These ads will directly suppress Republican voter turnout. They are laser focused. Additionally, they're having the bountiful effect of distracting Trump's time and money because he easily gets his feelings hurt.

laser focused? You think moderate republicans give a shit about if Joe Biden jogged up a ramp in 2006?

Distracting trumps time and money? Have we been paying attention? When is he ever not distracted? Obama can fart and hell send 100 tweets about how he's never farted in his whole life.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
2. we can do this exact same thing without empowering an oppressive group of officials who will use their platform to continue the same systemic injustice everybody here claims to be against.

no we really can't. A lot of times the messenger matters as much as the message. If these were ads from some group affiliated with Democrats there's a good chance fox would just turn down showing the ads or Fox News viewers would just shut it out once it's clear the ads are explicitly linked to Democrats.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Yeah, I thought the strategy was to go for all the moderates in this election. These ads definitely target those moderates who lean more right.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Think before I do what now? Oh you mean this?

giphy.gif

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
no we really can't. A lot of times the messenger matters as much as the message. If these were ads from some group affiliated with Democrats there's a good chance fox would just turn down showing the ads or Fox News viewers would just shut it out once it's clear the ads are explicitly linked to Democrats.

I can't believe that you really have convinced yourself that there's a way to convince his Fox News base not to vote. Moderate Republicans will dump trump because of the chaos our country is in, not some stupid videos on twitter and Fox News.

they'll dump him because of the economy, covid and their perceived chaos of how he's handling the racial justice protests.

again, even if there is some minor good to come out of this, it's not worth empowering these people who oppress our communities. I have not heard one of you explain why you're okay empowering our oppressors.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
laser focused? You think moderate republicans give a shit about if Joe Biden jogged up a ramp in 2006?

Disregarding your absurd reduction, yes they care. They've been embarrassed beyond belief for four years. Many of these Republicans held their nose in 2016 and pulled the lever. Many will not do the same in 2020. We're talking about a very particular group, the same type or Republican that helped form the Lincoln Project. The message is incredibly effective because of the messenger.

I can't believe that you really have convinced yourself that there's a way to convince his Fox News base not to vote. Moderate Republicans will dump trump because of the chaos our country is in, not some stupid videos on twitter and Fox News.

they'll dump him because of the economy, covid and their perceived chaos of how he's handling the racial justice protests.

Do you not believe in the efficacy of campaign ads? You should.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you not be a republican now or something? Lol
Can you not be a racist now or something? Lol
Can you not hate trans people now or something Lol
Can you not want to rob women of agency over their own bodies now or something? Lol
Can you not want to deny queer people fundamental rights now or something? Lol

madame x

May 15, 2020
The ads aren't doing anything, imo. Trump is coming off as weak to his own base and more of his supporters are afraid of covid than you think. He's not giving his supporters what they want and no longer controls the narrative.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
1. There are literally a billion ways to get under trumps skin.

It sounds like you like the message, but just don't like the messenger, but the messenger is what's making these effective.

They don't want a Republican to be the next President, they want Biden.
So the end goal, for at least the next 4 years is a shared one.

Do you not think that there's a greater empowerment being provided to Biden here, considering what the purpose of the ads are?

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017

again, even if there is some minor good to come out of this, it's not worth empowering these people who oppress our communities. I have not heard one of you explain why you're okay empowering our oppressors.

people have short term memories. unless we're getting another spike of Covid just before election, protests are still occurring on the daily and getting worse near the election , and there are no stock market recoveries however minor during the final stretch to election, it's fair to say it'd be out of the mind of the right leaning moderate. Therefore, it needs to be hammered in constantly.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Disregarding your absurd reduction, yes they care. They've been embarrassed beyond belief for four years. Many of these Republicans held their nose in 2016 and pulled the lever. Many will not do the same in 2020. We're talking about a very particular group, the same type or Republican that helped form the Lincoln Project. The message is incredibly effective because of the messenger.

so... let's say just for arguments sake you're right and it influences that targeted group.

you are okay with supporting this platform? You understand these are the same groups who will be using this platform to prevent racial justice reforms? To create bad economic and immigration policy? To change those same minds you're talking about?

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
It sounds like you like the message, but just don't like the messenger, but the messenger is what's making these effective.

They don't want a Republican to be the next President, they want Biden.
So the end goal, for at least the next 4 years is a shared one.

Do you not think that there's a greater empowerment being provided to Biden here, considering what the purpose of the ads are?

See my reply above*

it's about not letting the people who kill my people have a platform going forward

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
so... let's say just for arguments sake you're right and it influences that targeted group.

you are okay with supporting this platform? You understand these are the same groups who will be using this platform to prevent racial justice reforms? To create bad economic and immigration policy? To change those same minds you're talking about?

These groups already have money. They already have a platform (Fox News and Twitter) which is how these ads are currently being shared. At this point, it's about using their platform to ensure there's a future for progressive platforms. If trump wins again, that future is gone. There will be no racial justice reform. In fact, we will go in the opposite direction. There will be no economic justice, we will slip further into an oligarchic system.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Their ads are made for an audience of one and they work beautifully in that regard. The Trump campaign wasted $500,000 to run pro-Trumpy ads in D.C. so Trumpy would feel better. They started the BunkerBoy hashtag which made him so mad, he did that disasterous photo op in front of a church.
Then they got him to drink a glass of water at a rally and talk about RAMPGAIT again. They can get away with playing dirty because they aren't Dems who are always held to a ridiculously high and hypocritical standard.
TLP is brilliant and I'll go back to worrying about them once Trump is gone.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Think of it like this - their ads are super effective now because they're a Republican group targeting a sitting Republican president.

That novelty is part of the reason why people here like it, and why it may be effective at cutting through to people on the fence/intending to vote Republican out of habit.

I'm presuming that your fear is that once/if Biden gets elected, then they'll just about turn on him and target him.

But then their messaging loses its novelty, it loses its edge - then they're just a republican group targeting a democrat. A democrat that they've endorsed to be the next President.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

If Biden gets elected nobody will care that Lincoln Project helped it happen. It's not their platform and political beliefs being pushed by the Biden.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
These groups already have money. They already have a platform (Fox News and Twitter) which is how these ads are currently being shared. At this point, it's about using their platform to ensure there's a future for progressive platforms. If trump wins again, that future is gone.

lol Come on... now you're already in your mind empowering this bullshit platform by saying they're saving the future of the liberal cause? What?

yall, we can fight trump and win, without giving horrible people a platform to use against us going forward. I genuinely am shocked so many of you feel differently.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019

The "support" we're talking about is a social media share. As I stated earlier in this thread, moving the Overton Window is just as important to progress as moving the left alone. When Trump is destroyed, something will emerge. I'd rather it be TLP than Tom Cotton, personally.

I refuse to cut off my nose to spite my face.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Let me bring this up as well...

the whole fucking Republican Party was against trump in 2016. Literally all of them. And what did that do?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
lol Come on... now you're already in your mind empowering this bullshit platform by saying they're saving the future of the liberal cause? What?

yall, we can fight trump and win, without giving horrible people a platform to use against us going forward. I genuinely am shocked so many of you feel differently.

You're seriously overthinking this.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
The "support" we're talking about is a social media share. As I stated earlier in this thread, moving the Overton Window is just as important to progress as moving the left alone. When Trump is destroyed, something will emerge. I'd rather it be TLP than Tom Cotton, personally.

I refuse to cut off my nose to spite my face.

But you're ok with giving my killer his knife to stab me in the back

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Let me bring this up as well...

the whole fucking Republican Party was against trump in 2016. Literally all of them. And what did that do?

no they weren't. Past the oppo research done by Jeb during the primaries, none actually truly tried to go after Trump with anything more than soft jabs and even those were during the primary.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
we can do this exact same thing without empowering an oppressive group of officials who will use their platform to continue the same systemic injustice everybody here claims to be against.

Unlikely.

The voting populous has already decided they're in favor of more incremental change and a return to "normal" rather than progressivism. At this point, I just want Trump out of office, and I'm not going to do purity tests on anyone who has the same goal. We can deal with them after Trump is done letting coronavirus destroy this country.

Dems need some moderate/Republican voters on their side if they're gonna take out Trump.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For now they're the ones spending the money on them, democrats might want hire the people making the videos for the future.

Yes be careful and knowledgeable of who is funding them but also appreciate that somebody else is attacking trump, as trump has changed the game and you can't be nice anymore.

Fight fire with fire

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Well you all know how I feel, if you want it support a platform backed by that pile of shit, do your thing.

thank you for letting me say my part and mostly keeping it civil. Sorry if I got a little out of hand.
goodday my wife is mad I'm on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.