• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
You're really calling billions of people raised steeped in a variety of religions 'shitty human beings'?

Lincoln Project is cutting ads against Susan Collins, Cory Gardner, Martha McSally, Joni Ernst and Thom Tills. These dastardly do rights are in effect contributing to flip the Senate towards the Democrats. So clearly, they go further than their dislike of Trump. They are Republican individuals who have contempt with where the party has gone.

America is going to have two-parties. If we have to deal with Romney and Kasich individuals, I'll certainly have a smile on my face.

Very elegantly stated. If we are to make true progress, reshaping the opposing party to a position of sanity is part of that progress. There will be two parties for the foreseeable future, and the Overton Window must shift to achieve lasting change.

Mitt Romney would send women back to the back alleys

The long term goal should be the Dems become the Centre party and are opposed by a left wing party.

Not let's celebrate Neo cons and shit

That's a bit of a strawman. Chaos Legion isn't celebrating Neo cons. He's acknowledging that to achieve your stated goal, the Overton Window must be shifted back to sanity. You can't jump from Trump to Centrist Democrats.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Very elegantly stated. If we are to make true progress, reshaping the opposing party to a position of sanity is part of that progress. There will be two parties for the foreseeable future, and the Overton Window must shift to achieve lasting change.

The modern Republicans have never been sane.... Every single one of their Presidents have been monsters... and their nominees too

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like this is an extension of the weird purity obsession some people have.

"If someone I don't like contributed to a victory, then it's corrupted and worthless."

TLP is operating completely separately from the Biden campaign, so you don't have to worry. Nobody is beholden to them. It's consequence-free friendly fire between GOP factions.

Yeah man the people not wanting them Dems to be filled with Bush era neocons are just maniacally obsessed with purity and not as any rational human might be concerned with the prospect of these people essentially seizing most of the party levers as the fruition of our long consistent slope of always ceding political ground to the right over generations including a hyper-focus on electoralism which in effect serves to conveniently sequester and defang the political impetus that might otherwise go into direct action (which we are literally seeing rn).

Y'all are maybe just too used to being the dominant cultural narrative and maybe the constant drip feed of corporate media suffusing your cultural consciousness, concealing a lot of egregious stuff that the state does, and setting the hurdles so low you could effectively cross them without even picking up your feet, isn't actually helping you how you think it is. More than purity it's just the serious attempted effort to be ideologically consistent lol. I'm truly sorry that that's such a threat to some people.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why The Lincoln Project's conservative origin should matter. Unless they're actively supporting awful causes with the money they raise, it's hard to consider their ads as anything but a net positive.

The ads attack Trump in ways that undermine his messaging and expose his hypocrisy. They're speaking the language of his base, which is a much better angle than appealing to their humanity or trying to let grim facts to speak for themselves, for obvious reasons.

Trump's cult of personality depends on the persona he projects in public, a cruel idiot's version of a strong and competent man, which is really nothing more than a swaggering, blustering bully. The ads expose him as the feeble pushover he is.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe in the year of our lord 2020 we have people trying to convince us that after generations of conservatives actively fighting against every minority and LGBT group people are still trying to convince us that conservatives can change. If conservatives would change, they'd stop being conservatives.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah we don't forget that, still if they want to join the party and burn Trump they are welcome, it won't save them in the end given how leftist the new generations are even if they try to drift GOP to center

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Mitt Romney would send women back to the back alleys

The long term goal should be the Dems become the Centre party and are opposed by a left wing party.

Not let's celebrate Neo cons and shit
If wishes were horses.
Conservatism isn't going to just disappear. I would rather the opposition party not fall into the hands of tea parties for progress to be stalled for the betterment of the country.

Socially conservative means things like you don't agree that women should have control over their bodies or that lgbtq people don't deserve equal rights. If your religion tells you that a woman shouldn't have control over their body or that lgbtq people are a stain on humanity or don't deserve to be married, then yes that's pretty shitty.
Both examples of items that are deeply engrained in religions across the world and further intertwined with those from non-secular backgrounds.

I mean, the Democratic nominee is a deeply religious Catholic. Who has supported abortion rights at the cost of his faith/religion (how many times has he been refused the Sacrements)? There's a deeper conversation about religion behind this that I'm not going to entertain, but I don't necessarily assume all conservatives are shitty people simply because of what they were raised to believe.

I strongly disagree with them but also will not generalize all religious people / socially conservative people as shitty individuals.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah man the people not wanting them Dems to be filled with Bush era neocons are just maniacally obsessed with purity and not as any rational human might be concerned with the prospect of these people essentially seizing most of the party levers as the fruition of the slope of perpetually ceding political ground to the right over generations including a hyper-focus on electoralism which in effect serves to conveniently sequester and defang the political impetus that might otherwise go into direct action (which we are literally seeing rn).

Y'all are maybe just too used to being the dominant cultural narrative and maybe the constant drip feed of corporate media suffusing your cultural consciousness, concealing a lot of egregious stuff that the state does and setting the hurdles so low you could effectively cross them without even picking up your feet. More than purity it's just the serious attempted effort to be ideologically consistent lol.
It's amazing how you managed to interpret my post to mean the opposite of what it actually meant because you were so excited to puke out that rant. Why don't you reread it and explain to me how it means I want the Dems to be filled with Bush era neocons.

I also enjoy how "electoralism" is the new pejorative meme that I'm going to be seeing every 20 seconds. "Those effete liberals who vote, how bourgeois of them."

You'll also have to explain to me about how not minding that Republicans are fighting each other means I want BLM protestors to go home.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If wishes were horses.
Conservatism isn't going to just disappear. I would rather the opposition party not fall into the hands of tea parties for progress to be stalled for the betterment of the country.

Both examples of items that are deeply engrained in religions across the world and further intertwined with those from non-secular backgrounds.

I mean, the Democratic nominee is a deeply religious Catholic. Who has supported abortion rights at the cost of his faith/religion (how many times has he been refused the Sacrements)? There's a deeper conversation about religion behind this that I'm not going to entertain, but I don't necessarily assume all conservatives are shitty people simply because of what they were raised to believe.

I strongly disagree with them but also will not generalize all religious people / socially conservative people as shitty individuals.

You are like...ten years too late if you think the republicans haven't fallen into the tea party.

Again, if conservatives wanted to change, they'd abandon the label conservative.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I can disagree with then vehemently on a lot of things but if we both agree Trump needs to be shown the fucking door, we can unite for this cause, wherever we go afterwards.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
so do you equate

Racism, bigotry, prejudice = conservative ?
Have you read the Republican platform?
Stopping gay marriage
Making sure companies can fire people cause they are LGBTQ
Limiting birth control
Limiting voting access
Limiting refugee and asylum cases
Limiting permanent immigration for work so we can pack the workers up and ship them back when not needed
Empowering law enforcement agencies that are disproportionately going after minorities

This is just some of the stuff they are willing to put forward and stand by.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
You're really calling billions of people raised steeped in a variety of religions 'shitty human beings'?

These people aren't just content with keeping their beliefs to themselves, but rather want their religious beliefs enforced on others. What do social conservatives want from politicians and parties that they support if it isn't to push their shitty beliefs (and yes wanting anti-abortion enforced on women and wanting to oppress members of the lgbtq community through oppressive legislation are shitty beliefs)? And then you toss in conservative's hallmark hatred of the poor and down trodden, and you have an ideology that is abhorrent.

There's a reason why Canada's former piece of shit Conservative PM now sits as chairman for an organisation filled to the brim with Conservative assholes from across the world, who share a singular goal in getting parties that share their ideology elected into high offices.

What a nice group of dipshits they have collected. The likes of the BJP, Orban, GOP, and the Tories all working together to spread their filth globally. It's nightmare fuel.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Its almost like you have pre judged conservatives.
When, in the last half-century, have conservatives not supported the most toxic, hateful, and damaging positions and policies? When were they, as a group, on the right side of history regarding economics, foreign policy, science, education, minority rights and women's rights, the LGBTQ+ community, etc.

Climate change, the AIDS crisis, the Iraq War, creationism vs evolution in schools, abstinence-only education, gay marriage, LGBTQ+ discrimination, birth control, gun control, deporting immigrants, corporate lobbying, the COVID pandemic ... when did they get any of it right?

At this point in history, conservative means regressive. At least in the US.

Last edited:

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019

The modern Republicans have never been sane.... Every single one of their Presidents have been monsters... and their nominees too

I don't agree with many of his policies and world views, but George H. W. Bush was certainly sane, and his failings were shared by most of the democrats of the time if we effort not to rewrite history. Returning the opposition party to actual intellectual conservatives would be a massive victory for progress. That doesn't mean we stop at neocons, just that it's a necessary step.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you think Trump's an anomoly among conservatives?
Well the Republicans (Trumps version of it), one could argue, are not really conservatives. Its some kind of weird unholy alliance of the Religious Right, anti Government viewpoints.

Trump is giving the Religious Right everything they wanted politically (mainly Judges) and he appeals to all the people that are so sick of the status quo of government.

The US has always been a bit weird. The elected politicians always seem to be more right than the actual population. This is probably due to how election finances are allowed.

So this election may be a one and done for voting Trump out. But after that happens, all these groups still exist and how the Republicans rebound will be interesting.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with many of his policies and world views, but George H. W. Bush was certainly sane, and his failings were shared by most of the democrats of the time if we effort not to rewrite history. Returning the opposition party to actual intellectual conservatives would be a massive victory for progress. That doesn't mean we stop at neocons, just that it's a necessary step.

...Did we forget the atrocities George W Bush committed? If you are trying to go "Well the democrats were guilty too", uh no shit that's why Democrats also need to be called out for their shitty decisions.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Have you read the Republican platform?
Stopping gay marriage
Making sure companies can fire people cause they are LGBTQ
Limiting birth control
Limiting voting access
Limiting refugee and asylum cases
Limiting permanent immigration for work so we can pack the workers up and ship them back when not needed
Empowering law enforcement agencies that are disproportionately going after minorities

This is just some of the stuff they are willing to put forward and stand by.
Where was I talking about Republicans?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the Republicans (Trumps version of it), one could argue, are not really conservatives. Its some kind of weird unholy alliance of the Religious Right, anti Government viewpoints.

Trump is giving the Religious Right everything they wanted politically (mainly Judges) and he appeals to all the people that are so sick of the status quo of government.

The US has always been a bit weird. The elected politicians always seem to be more right than the actual population. This is probably due to how election finances are allowed.

So this election may be a one and done for voting Trump out. But after that happens, all these groups still exist and how the Republicans rebound will be interesting.

How are the Trumpian Right not conservative? What do conservatives stand for?

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how you managed to interpret my post to mean the opposite of what it actually meant because you were so excited to puke out that rant. Why don't you reread it and explain to me how it means I want the Dems to be filled with Bush era neocons.

I also enjoy how "electoralism" is the new pejorative meme that I'm going to be seeing every 20 seconds. "Those effete liberals who vote, how bourgeois of them."

You'll also have to explain to me about how not minding that Republicans are fighting each other means I want BLM protestors to go home.

Dude, your post didn't mean anything. The criticisms that one makes of their opponent is inherently a part of the political discourse because it's the stuff you think is meaningfully worthy of criticizing them on! This kind of shit is how we tacitly let conservatives set the frame of the discussion and then wonder why they seem to punch above their weight/demographic size w/r/t apparent political influence. What do you think is the result, in our politics, of constantly leaving the door open to the 'good' conservatives who are ultimately seeking to do everything awful that they ever did just quietly and politely behind closed doors? Thinking this shit is good isn't functionally all that different from all but calling Mitt Romney 'one of the good ones', or whatever other ghoul they're excited to whitewash today because he seems relatively nicer.

And you're talking pejorative memes when just bandying a vapid term like "purity testing" around. Cool. (Also, read a fucking book or something, ideally not of the kind containing magic or robots).

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
www.newyorker.com

George H. W. Bush’s Presidency Erased People with AIDS. So Did the Tributes to Him

For many queer people who were adults during the first Bush Presidency, the week of commemorating Bush’s death has brought back the sense of living in a political reality separate from the rest of the country—an invisible one.
"Sane"

MCCAMMON: The Bush administration opposed federal funding for abortion and unsuccessfully urged the Supreme Court to overturn the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized the procedure nationwide in 1973. But that wasn't always Bush's position, says Jessie Hill, a law professor at Case Western Reserve University.

www.npr.org

Looking Back On President George H.W. Bush's Legacy On Abortion

Former President George H.W. Bush is praised by anti-abortion rights groups but he once supported Planned Parenthood and began as a moderate, reflecting a larger GOP shift amid pressure from religious conservatives.

"SANE"

Dick Cheney was his Secretary of Defense lol

Dan fucking Quayle was his VP

"sane"

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think going back to killing millions in the middle east is something america should strive for

lmao I also missed a letter. Sorry I'm dumb. George HW Bush was despicable but he's no W

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
www.newyorker.com

George H. W. Bush’s Presidency Erased People with AIDS. So Did the Tributes to Him

For many queer people who were adults during the first Bush Presidency, the week of commemorating Bush’s death has brought back the sense of living in a political reality separate from the rest of the country—an invisible one.
"Sane"

I am well aware of his devastatingly misguided positions and inaction in that area. I accounted for it clearly in my post.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
When, in the last half a century, have conservatives not supported the most toxic, hateful, and damaging positions and policies? When were they, as a group, on the right side of history regarding economics, foreign policy, climate change, science in general, minority rights and women's rights, the LGBTQ+ community, etc.

At this point in history, conservative means regressive. At least in the US.
I mean, technically Nixon.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, your post didn't mean anything. The criticisms that one makes of their opponent is inherently a part of the political discourse because it's the stuff you think is meaningfully worthy of criticizing them on! This kind of shit is how we tacitly let conservatives set the frame of the discussion and then wonder why they seem to punch above their weight/demographic size w/r/t apparent political influence. What do you think is the result, in our politics, of constantly leaving the door open to the 'good' conservatives who are ultimately seeking to do everything awful that they ever did just quietly and politely behind closed doors? Thinking this shit is good isn't functionally all that different from all but calling Mitt Romney one of the good ones, or whatever other ghoul they;re excited about.

And you're talking pejorative memes when just bandying a vapid term like "purity testing" around. Cool. (Also, read a fucking book or something, ideally not of the kind containing magic or robots).
Still waiting to hear your explanation of how realizing the value of Republicans putting their resources into attacking Trump instead of Biden, without approving of those Republicans ideologically, relates at all to your word salad.

And in response to your last sentence, allow me to remind you that verbosity and jargon do not equate to intelligence, which is unfortunate for you.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
What is this even? The entire point is to embarrass Trump and not let him in for 4 more years. The people running it specifically hate Trump. If there is one motivation you can always count on it's hate.

I don't understand the purpose of this. Do you think we don't know the people behind this and their reasons? Is this another type of "purity test"? I don't care if Bush and Cheney run ads together if they hurt Trump.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Who cares about the Lincoln Project people being conservative?

One step at a time, let's focus on getting Trump out of office and behind bars first.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They are useful for what they are. They are not for most progressives or liberals, they are effective for the wing of republicans that is looking for any reason to dump trump. They are a tool to be used to win in November.

Whatever it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.